As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii U] A Farewell to Friend Codes

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited November 2012 in Games and Technology
zUqXX.jpg
gF7zu.jpg
Release Dates
November 18th, 2012 (NA)
November 30th, 2012 (EU)
December 8th, 2012 (JP)
Pricing
$299 (Basic), $349 (Deluxe)
£248 (Basic) £299 (Deluxe)
¥25,000 (Basic), ¥30,000 (Deluxe)

6bH7i.png
The Wii U is launching this Holiday Season! It'll come in two delicious flavors: Cherry Pie Deluxe and Humble Pie Basic.

Look at these cool images for the contents of each:
HoIhB.jpg
YG8bA.jpg

Note that Nintendoland ONLY comes in the Deluxe version, so you should aim for that if you want an actual game to come with your purchase.

The Wii U is the sixth major Nintendo home console, and the first to feature full HD graphics. Building off of the success of the wildly popular Wii, the Wii U is hoping to pull back in the video game enthusiasts that were lost when Nintendo courted the casual audience. Featuring third-party support from major publishers such as Ubisoft and EA alongside the standard first-party library, Nintendo is hoping to make the Wii U the system for everyone.

jiDF9.png
l0MZS.jpg
At the heart of the Wii U is the new tablet-esque controller that allows the player to free themselves from the cruel tyranny of the TV. The screen is touch sensitive and can be used via stylus or finger. The controller features dual stick controller (and the sticks can click for extra functionality), four trigger/bumper buttons, four face buttons, and both accelerometer and gyroscope for motion control. Nintendo plans on having a healthy library of casual games that can be played exclusively on the controller screen. Meanwhile, larger titles will make use of the controller for a variety of gameplay purposes such as inventory management, aiming weapons, and so forth. Another important thing to note: the tablet controller also features a camera and microphone. This will be utilized in things like Miiverse. This video shows us some of the ways the GamePad can be utilized.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj_xW6vwK1I

The Wii U can support two of these controllers at the same time. The hardware also supports just about everything from the Wii, including the remotes, balance board, and so forth. There is also a new controller for games that don't require the extra screen. The Pro Controller is intended to be a more comfortable controller for more conventional control schemes.
ScPEn.jpg

The GamePad will NOT be available for sale in North America (and probably not Europe). The price in Japan is the equivalent of around $175, so expect a price point of $150 or so. However, until Nintendo decides to stock 'em, you're stuck with the GamePad included with your system. You will be able to call for a replacement, so don't' fret about breaking one. Note that no Wii U games at launch will make use of two GamePads.

The Pro Controller will RSVP for $49.99.

LDmS5.png
Hey, let's talk about Miiverse
At2JY.png
Nintendo is basically diving head-first into online. The Wii U will feature standard entertainment such as YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, and so forth. The real thing here is Miiverse, which is a network that shows what people are playing, and allows you to brag, get assistance, offer comments, or post crude drawings of genitals. The image above shows the Miis clustering around games they play, be they friends or some stranger from Utah, and comments/drawings will pop up every so often. Nintendo promises that they will make sure Miiverse doesn't spoil games for you or anything. Like when your friend tells you that Bowser kidnapped Peach.

Here's an annoying video to demonstrate the feature.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfqtq_Yk0Y

FRIEND CODES ARE GONE. FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST.

The Miiverse won't just be a Wii U thing. It'll eventually be ported over to the 3DS, and you'll be able to utilize certain parts of the Miiverse on your PC, smartphones, and tablets-that-aren't-controllers.

GyPpa.png
EKtSH.jpg

TVii is a rather ambition system that tries to be an all-in-one hub for couch potatoes. Using the Wii U controller like a remote, you can browse and control various programs at any time. This is completely cross-platform, and TVii will search all of the popular streaming services in addition to live TV. Supposedly, you can control your cable box, DVR, and more with the remote for unfettered touch-based television control.

YWCnS.png
If you don't have a subscription, you can purchase the episode/subscription from the controller.

How well this works in practice remains to be seen, but Nintendo claims that TiVo support is already in. There's also promise of worthwhile content on the secondary screen while you are watching (notably sports scores and data) and you can set up profiles for each member of the household so there's no scrolling past unwanted crap.

I have no idea when TVii is due to hit, but I wouldn't hold your breath for a launch-day release.

wBelL.png
Hey, the Wii U has games. Clearly, this is the future.

Nintendo has put up its launch titles, but the terminology is a bit...loose. While some of these titles will indeed be out on the 18th, this list is just for the "launch window" and many could be out as late as March 2013. I'll try to keep this list updated so you know what games you get your little greedy bits on alongside that fancy new chunk of hardware.

These are all NA dates. Go...somewhere else, Europe.

Launches November 18th
  • Nintendo Land
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
  • Disney’s Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
  • Sonic & All-Stars: Racing Transformed (Nov. 20th)
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
  • LEGO City Undercover
  • Assassin’s Creed 3
  • Darksiders II
  • FIFA 13
  • Just Dance 4
  • ZombiU
  • Madden NFL 13
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge
  • Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
  • Tank! Tank! Tank!
  • Rayman Legends (Nov 2012)
  • Assassin's Creed III
  • Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
  • Nintendoland
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Rabbids Land
  • Skylanders Giants

February 2013
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines (12th)

"Launch Window"
  • Sing Party
  • Wii Fit U
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Pikmin 3
  • 007 Legends
  • Cabela’s Dangerous Hunts
  • Wipeout 3
  • Rapala Pro Bass Fishing
  • Transformers Prime
  • Trine 2
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • Wheel of Fortune
  • Jeopardy
  • Funky Barn
  • Game Party Champions
  • Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
  • Ben 10: Omniverse
  • Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
  • Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
  • Zumba Fitness
  • Game & Wario
  • NBA 2K13
  • Jett Tailfin
  • Toki Tori 2
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  • Avengers: Battle for Earth
  • Sports Connection
  • Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
  • Nano Assault Neo

uEPQ1.png
Do not get attached to this thread. At some point after the Wii U launches (probably after the first holiday season), the thread will be retired. I am just saying this now so there's no shock or fainting when the thread rides off into the sunset.

I'd like this note in every future Wii U thread.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'm still excited!

5.jpg

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I don't care what anyone else says. I'm still getting this Day 1.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Blue Yoshi to star in the next Bubble Bobble game?

Anyways, Lego City is looking pretty fun. A GTA game that doesn't take itself seriously where you're on the right side of the law for once.

• V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'm still excited!

5.jpg

Ah yes, the ever popular Stoned Yoshi.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
    12.jpg

Dat background.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Yeah, that ghost background was the first time when it felt like the New New Mario game wasn't phoning in the graphics. Very pretty.

Some good lighting on the giant star bits too. It's not a graphical powerhouse by any means but it doesn't look half bad.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Yeah, that ghost background was the first time when it felt like the New New Mario game wasn't phoning in the graphics. Very pretty.

Please. That background is so 1889.

It's yet another clear sign that the Wii U is not going to embrace the next generation and will be left behind.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Pikmin 3 is everything I wanted it to be and more.

• BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    I'm still excited about WiiU.

The Wii was my favorite console this generation and a lot of the WiiU's features excite me.

The gamepad and all it can do, the small form factor, the power is decent, backwards compatibility, some good games right from the start and the one game i'm willing to double dip for (Batman).

I just need to know about transferring purchases from the Wii and how their digital storefront works.

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    That Lego City game looked like fun. And what I heard of ZombiU after the conference was intriguing too.

I was hoping they'd have changed the name and redesigned the actual console itself. They didn't really try to do too much with the aesthetics of the device, did they? But whatever, that stuff doesn't matter.

A name change would have been nice but i like the form factor of the console.

It's very sleek and compact compared to the XBOX and PS3.

As someone who moves around a lot that's definitely a plus and i could see that helping in Japan where space is at a premium.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wii has strong brand recognition. There is no way they were going to change that name.

YL9WnCY.png
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I'm optimistic about the new console. I really hope Nintendo comes out guns blazing as far as online integration goes. They've never got it right before.

Also Pikmin 3 is a must buy for me. I can't wait for that.

I'm pretty dissapointed that we finally get a HD Mario game and it looks like that. I mean, that one level looks kind of cool, but everything else is as cookie cutter as can be.

Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Wii has strong brand recognition. There is no way they were going to change that name.

Would've been nice for Super Wii, but whatcha gonna do.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I would have preferred Super Wii.

Keep the Wii brand recognition but drop the U.

It would be awesome if Decal Girl made a skin that looked like the Super Famicom for the WiiU (i have the NES looking one on my Wii).

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Ultimate Wii! :) It even has a U in it!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Very disappointed with their E3; if they want I show it's a 'console for all' they need to show it'll get the games from outside their first party offerings. That is really is 'next gen' in the PS4/720 sense.

I can see how that's hard to do - nobody will make a game they flat out cant put on the existing systems, so WiiU can't separate from them either. The problem I see is eventually someone's goin to FORCE that break, probably at E3 next year, and even if WiiU can run the mew UE4 games, what are the odds we see PS4/720 only if the Wii's already been pigeonholed?

I want to support Nintendo and I love some ideas about his hardware, but I don't personally have a lot of love for their first party games. Show me I won't have to run out in three years and trade this thing in for a competitor's console to play the, say, the next gen Elder Scrolls game and I'll be all over it.

JihadJesus wrote: »
    Very disappointed with their E3; if they want I show it's a 'console for all' they need to show it'll get the games from outside their first party offerings. That is really is 'next gen' in the PS4/720 sense.

I can see how that's hard to do - nobody will make a game they flat out cant put on the existing systems, so WiiU can't separate from them either. The problem I see is eventually someone's goin to FORCE that break, probably at E3 next year, and even if WiiU can run the mew UE4 games, what are the odds we see PS4/720 only if the Wii's already been pigeonholed?

I want to support Nintendo and I love some ideas about his hardware, but I don't personally have a lot of love for their first party games. Show me I won't have to run out in three years and trade this thing in for a competitor's console to play the, say, the next gen Elder Scrolls game and I'll be all over it.

If you don't like Nintendo games, then this console obviously isn't for you.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I would have liked Wii Too but Wii U is fine.

My biggest concern on the WiiU right now is price - I hope Nintendo can keep it reasonable.

On the flip side, the weird feature I'm excited about is the universal remote use - I'd love to retire the 4 that we have without buying a $125 Logitech thing...

Nintendo should go $250 to $300 at the max.

Going above that is very risky.

Why the fuck not, though? It's not like I buy a 360 because I love MS first party games - I buy it because it's the cheapest option to get access to basically all the big third party titles. Tltles that sell gangbusters, which MS picks up licensing money on.

Nintendo's implied they want to be able to provide that since they announced the WiiU. Were they just lying through their teeth? And if so, WHY? What does it gain them to transparently bullshit about third party support?

Why the fuck not, though? It's not like I buy a 360 because I love MS first party games - I buy it because it's the cheapest option to get access to basically all the big third party titles. Tltles that sell gangbusters, which MS picks up licensing money on.

Nintendo's implied they want to be able to provide that since they announced the WiiU. Were they just lying through their teeth? And if so, WHY? What does it gain them to transparently bullshit about third party support?

If you're buying a Nintendo for 3rd party games then you're doing it wrong. Not that there won't be any (of course there will be), you just shouldn't be relying on them.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm not going to lie. Platinum Games + Nintendo has me smiling.
    I mean, the other stuff looks cool too... but come on.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    Apparently, Kamiya is directing P-100. Yes, the same Kamiya of Viewtiful Joe, Okami and Bayonetta fame.

V0Gug2h.png
    edited June 2012
    Chen wrote: »
    Apparently, Kamiya is directing P-100. Yes, the same Kamiya of Viewtiful Joe, Okami and Bayonetta fame.

Which explains the style and comparisons.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2012
    I'm pretty dissapointed that we finally get a HD Mario game and it looks like that. I mean, that one level looks kind of cool, but everything else is as cookie cutter as can be.
    The New Super Mario Bros. series sells insanely well. Reggie told an interviewer that NSMB Wii would outsell Modern Warfare 2 on a single console by January.

He got laughed at.

But he was right.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    Mario, especially the sidescrollers, sells gangbusters.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Sper Wii U?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I would have liked Wii Too but Wii U is fine.

My biggest concern on the WiiU right now is price - I hope Nintendo can keep it reasonable.

On the flip side, the weird feature I'm excited about is the universal remote use - I'd love to retire the 4 that we have without buying a $125 Logitech thing...

I saw a rumor somewhere that the Japanese price would translate to roughly $389, but given that US price is always lower, that would put it in the $300-$350 range, which sounds about right.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    This'll be my console of the upcoming generation. I've said this a few times before, but I regret purchasing my Xbox 360 this generation, and I wish I had just stuck with the Wii.

While the Xbox 360 has a ton of great games that I enjoy, my Wii library outnumbers it almost 4:1, and I would have been more than satisfied with just it this generation.

I'm not gonna make that mistake a second time.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop

If you're buying a Nintendo for 3rd party games then you're doing it wrong. Not that there won't be any (of course there will be), you just shouldn't be relying on them.
    What is it about Nintendo that makes this true? Am I 'doing it wrong' if I own a 360 and dislike Halo, or love my PS3 and think God of War is ridiculous? Of course not. Mario and Zelda, though? You'll love it and be entirely satisfied by it or you can get the fuck out, apparently.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    This'll be my console of the upcoming generation. I've said this a few times before, but I regret purchasing my Xbox 360 this generation, and I wish I had just stuck with the Wii.

While the Xbox 360 has a ton of great games that I enjoy, my Wii library outnumbers it almost 4:1, and I would have been more than satisfied with just it this generation.

I'm not gonna make that mistake a second time.

I can't say whether or not it will be my only console but I do intend to buy this for sure. maybe not on the first day but I guess we'll see.... probably on the first day, I got a lot of fun out of having the wii immediately.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Nintendo's conference turned me from a "maybe" to a definitive no.
    Will keep up with the news though

steam_sig.png
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    ninwrong.jpg

I thought they announced the Wii U for fall, and most of the late third party games in the holiday season.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg

What is it about Nintendo that makes this true? Am I 'doing it wrong' if I own a 360 and dislike Halo, or love my PS3 and think God of War is ridiculous? Of course not. Mario and Zelda, though? You'll love it and be entirely satisfied by it or you can get the fuck out, apparently.

I think I'm done. I don't want to drag this topic down on the first page.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Nintendo's conference turned me from a "maybe" to a definitive no.
    Will keep up with the news though

What changed your mind?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I'm still on the fence. I love my Wii (thank you Xenoblade) but seriously it has collected dust every now and then unlike my PC/PS3. Also, I just can't help getting a Dreamcast vibe from it. I'm on the wait and see list though. Regardless of graphic quality, I have loved motion controls and my Wii games.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I find it amusing people seem to make their console buying decisions based purely on a single press conference. Thing is 6 months away and it will be around for years. My buying plans for consoles and gaming in general are revised daily based on constantly changing information.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The downside of keeping the Wii name. Up until a few moments ago when I picked up on something she said not quite making sense, my wife (who spent the evening playing Skyward Sword, but does not keep up on video game news and media) thought it was just a new controller for the existing system. She will not be the only one.

MhCw7nZ.gif
This discussion has been closed.