As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii U] A Farewell to Friend Codes

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I think part of the disappointment comes from them focusing almost completely on launch stuff with no mentions of future stuff after the launch period.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I think part of the disappointment comes from them focusing almost completely on launch stuff with no mentions of future stuff after the launch period.

They've got all year and next E3 to focus on that.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    I find it amusing people seem to make their console buying decisions based purely on a single press conference. Thing is 6 months away and it will be around for years. My buying plans for consoles and gaming in general are revised daily based on constantly changing information.

for the last few gens I've basically bought everything, hype/features has just dictated the order.

but I agree. so many possibilities, announcements, games to come, etc. to decide based on an hour + talk is extreme.

then again, because these are big purchases I think people like to make a decision and be done with it. "I am putting aside $300 for the future" or "nah I don't need this one (unless it eventually blows me away and drops in price)" make life easier than "maybe... " People want a solid decision as soon as possible which I do understand.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Nintendo's conference turned me from a "maybe" to a definitive no.
    Will keep up with the news though

What changed your mind?
    Just a general lack of "fresh" games.
    ZombiU looks neat, but that's about it. Everything else is pretty much ports of year old games or new iterations of previous games that don't really take advantage of the controller (Mario, Legend (as neat as it was, the touch screen is not integral), etc).

steam_sig.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

That's kinda how Nintendo does things. With a few exceptions (Mostly Zelda titles) Nintendo announces stuff like only six months ahead of time, and even that's kinda stretching it.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    ZombieU sounds like a Rogue-like experience. It has a real PC game vibe to it.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

That's kinda how Nintendo does things. With a few exceptions (Mostly Zelda titles) Nintendo announces stuff like only six months ahead of time, and even that's kinda stretching it.

Yeah, but a lot of people still expect news on the next Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros. etc. even if those things often don't arrive that quickly on new consoles. For a near launch lineup, this actually isn't that terrible because they almost always suck.

Couscous on

Yeah, but a lot of people still expect news on the next Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros. etc. even if those things often don't arrive that quickly on new consoles.

We just got a new Zelda last year and there's a chance we'll see a 3DS Zelda announced soon (possibly tomorrow?). And we know Smash Bros. is coming but isn't ready to be shown. Anything else probably isn't big enough for a reveal more than 6 months ahead of time.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I was disappointed they didn't show anything too innovative with the Gamepad. About the closest thing to that was the pre-e3 video with the message board/video chat/other social feature stuff, which was indeed pretty cool. Was hoping for some unique uses for it though other than just "it's your inventory screen" or "draw on it to move your guy" typical boring ideas :) Hopefully there will be some stuff on the show floor though (probably not but fingers crossed :P)

Still getting one though :D

Edit: I will say the ZombiU thing (as terrible as that name is) was pretty alright though. It uses the WiiU's social features in some interesting ways which is kind of the thing I was hoping to see more of. That being said, I refuse to trust another Ubisoft launch title again until I hear it doesn't suck :)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I was disappointed they didn't show anything too innovative with the Gamepad. About the closest thing to that was the pre-e3 video with the message board/video chat/other social feature stuff, which was indeed pretty cool. Was hoping for some unique uses for it though other than just "it's your inventory screen" or "draw on it to move your guy" typical boring ideas :) Hopefully there will be some stuff on the show floor though (probably not but fingers crossed :P)

Still getting one though :D

That was whole point of the Pre-E3 Nintendo Direct show. So they wouldn't have to show off the features of the Gamepad.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I'm not saying the features of it, but like games that use it in innovative ways. I was hoping to see more of that.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    I'm not saying the features of it, but like games that use it in innovative ways. I was hoping to see more of that.

Yeah, it did seem like they kinda downplayed it a bit.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Here's the in-game stuff for ZombiU for those that haven't seen it yet:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-zombiu/731244

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Im_RNXzXQ9o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's next-gen to me, but it's not enough.

SquiddyBiscuit on
    steam_sig.png
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Why the fuck not, though? It's not like I buy a 360 because I love MS first party games - I buy it because it's the cheapest option to get access to basically all the big third party titles. Tltles that sell gangbusters, which MS picks up licensing money on.

Nintendo's implied they want to be able to provide that since they announced the WiiU. Were they just lying through their teeth? And if so, WHY? What does it gain them to transparently bullshit about third party support?

If you're buying a Nintendo for 3rd party games then you're doing it wrong. Not that there won't be any (of course there will be), you just shouldn't be relying on them.
    What is it about Nintendo that makes this true? Am I 'doing it wrong' if I own a 360 and dislike Halo, or love my PS3 and think God of War is ridiculous? Of course not. Mario and Zelda, though? You'll love it and be entirely satisfied by it or you can get the fuck out, apparently.

I don't think its a "get the fuck out", rather I think the idea is that Nintendo home console 3rd party support has been scarce in the past, and that is all we can reasonably expect in the future. If you aren't satisfied by Nintendo's offerings alone, then the Wii U isn't the right choice for you.

In my case, I don't even have time to play all of the Nintendo games, let alone 3rd party offerings, so the Wii never felt "barren" to me. But for some players it did! And that is okay. They just shouldn't buy the Wii U and expect things to be different, because as great as it would be if things were different, doing so would be foolish.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Here's the in-game stuff for ZombiU for those that haven't seen it yet:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-zombiu/731244

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Im_RNXzXQ9o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's next-gen to me, but it's not enough.

Ubisoft pretty much showed every conference they visited how it is done.

I will be tremendously worried if Wii U sells well enough to make Nintendo feel satisfied. Maybe we'll get a decent Starfox or F-Zero in five years or something. Eugh.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    ok, you know what. I've decided.

IF the Wii-U launches for $250 I'll might it. Pikmin, Mario, Rayman, and Lego City Stories, might be enough to warrant it.

I was really disappointed by what I saw at the show, but it MIGHT be worth it for those.

ManetherenWolf on
    Hey look! Mad Catz already has peripherals ready for Wii U!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/mad-catz-anticipates-wii-u-launch-with-line-of-gaming-peripheral/

wii-u-smart-cover.jpg
    Mad Catz is, quite literally, gearing up for the Wii U's impending holiday launch. Aligned neatly with Nintendo's keynote at E3 today, the accessory maker's outing a host of peripherals intended to play nicely with the gaming titan's next gen, tablet-y splash. Prospective early adopters eyeing what the Big N's selling can look forward to a pair of Wiimote- and Wii U GamePad-compatible Power Up ChargeDocks, a FlipStand protective cover and a TRITTON Kunai headset which will also work across Sony's current gaming platforms. There's no pricing available yet for this add-on kit, but the lineup should make its market bow in step with the console's looming launch. Hit up the break to peruse the official pressers.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Also found this.

Wii U is coming out this 'holiday'.
    Nintendo has just confirmed what we've expected all along. Its next generation console, the Wii U, will be launching this holiday. As Nintendo mentioned earlier, there's no definitive word on pricing, quite yet. The company did confirm, however, that the touchscreen-friendly console will launch with the new multi-player NintendoLand title.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    I won't get one at launch, but I'm somewhat interested. I like the idea of asynchronous multiplayer, and backwards compatibility is a big plus for me. I think the game that will really sell me on the concept will be the Wario game, though. Love that series.

One function of the tablet that is sure to be extremely common is inventory, which I'm a bit hesitant about. On the one hand, having a second screen to manage inventory while the main game continued uninterrupted is somewhat realistic. (Typically, you can't ask your enemies to patiently wait while you change your weapons and armor.) But in a game with a lot of inventory, wouldn't this get a bit annoying? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'm more interested than I was, and it's good to see third party support, but I didn't see much first party stuff. It's like Nintendo has trouble with both at the same time or something. I want to see what they have going on with Metroid and Zelda for the WiiU.

Steam: offday
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I won't get one at launch, but I'm somewhat interested. I like the idea of asynchronous multiplayer, and backwards compatibility is a big plus for me. I think the game that will really sell me on the concept will be the Wario game, though. Love that series.

One function of the tablet that is sure to be extremely common is inventory, which I'm a bit hesitant about. On the one hand, having a second screen to manage inventory while the main game continued uninterrupted is somewhat realistic. (Typically, you can't ask your enemies to patiently wait while you change your weapons and armor.) But in a game with a lot of inventory, wouldn't this get a bit annoying? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

See: Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    anoffday wrote: »
    I'm more interested than I was, and it's good to see third party support, but I didn't see much first party stuff. It's like Nintendo has trouble with both at the same time or something. I want to see what they have going on with Metroid and Zelda for the WiiU.

we know there working on them. and it be nice to see gameplay instead of cg. bwral was ok since it did show new info like super smash and new fighters.

also nintendo should make nintendoland come with the system. and really it looked more indeth then any of the wiisports titles.

Cyrondin on

You can't please everyone. Or anyone. Or whatever.

They're coming.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Had they announced a Trauma Center game for this, I bet there would be a lot more excitement.

It would fit so perfectly.

Had they announced a Trauma Center game for this, I bet there would be a lot more excitement.

Can't remember the last time Atlas announced a big game at E3. Especially at a conference.

Maybe I'm just having a brain fart.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    At least for me, the Nintendo 1st party stuff that they've announced so far doesn't look very interesting. IMO, the top 3 most promising games revealed for the system so far are Project P-100, Rayman Legends, and ZombiU, all of which are 3rd party offerings.

• CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012

Can't remember the last time Atlas announced a big game at E3. Especially at a conference.

Maybe I'm just having a brain fart.

i think a trama center game was shown, but it was during a slideshow. at other E3's.

Cyrondin on
    Trauma Team was a huge bomb in sales so I'd say the chance of a new Trauma game is pretty low. Shame too since the game was fantastic.

They're coming.

My guess: They are mixing strategies. 3DS strategy was to get out of the way to let 3rd parties bring stuff in. That backfired to all hell. So this time they are still keeping their 1st party lineup light (to help 3rd party stuff shine), but at least throwing in some Marios and crap to make people happy.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    My biggest fear answered:
    Fans who have purchased libraries of old games will not lose their downloaded game titles when they decide to upgrade to the new system, a decision in line with how Apple’s iTunes store operates regarding digital downloads of game apps. Moffitt said that there will be a bit of restructuring of how their login IDs/accounts work with the Wii U; he told us, “You will have an individual account based system. Each member of your family might have their own account.”

Each player will have saved gaming preferences, but it is unclear how Wii Virtual Console collections will be assigned to an account for ownership transfers on the Wii U eShop at this point. If this backwards compatibility continues through the next generation of systems, fans may never have to repurchase old games again. That may change if games are reintroduced in high definition (Wii, unlike its competitors, produced standard-definition video), but Nintendo has said nothing on that yet.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Fans who have purchased libraries of old games will not lose their downloaded game titles when they decide to upgrade to the new system, a decision in line with how Apple’s iTunes store operates regarding digital downloads of game apps. Moffitt said that there will be a bit of restructuring of how their login IDs/accounts work with the Wii U; he told us, “You will have an individual account based system. Each member of your family might have their own account.”

Each player will have saved gaming preferences, but it is unclear how Wii Virtual Console collections will be assigned to an account for ownership transfers on the Wii U eShop at this point. If this backwards compatibility continues through the next generation of systems, fans may never have to repurchase old games again. That may change if games are reintroduced in high definition (Wii, unlike its competitors, produced standard-definition video), but Nintendo has said nothing on that yet.

Yeah, that's awesome. Expected this after the 3DS.

Also, was this your source?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/06/nintendos-wii-u-gamepad-to-play-old-wii-games-company-says-at-e3/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Nintendo tried to launch the 3DS by focusing on third parties. That launch sucked.

They're coming.

My guess: They are mixing strategies. 3DS strategy was to get out of the way to let 3rd parties bring stuff in. That backfired to all hell. So this time they are still keeping their 1st party lineup light (to help 3rd party stuff shine), but at least throwing in some Marios and crap to make people happy.

and as rainbow said the best games for the system are 3 third parties. i can't wait for project and zombiu looks good. it a shame both had worse showing at a confrence then batman. that should of been in the clipwheel with ME3 and NG3.

that drawing game that was big on the DS looks cool and hope it have soild online.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular

I've been waiting for that news also. I'd imagine they would have some really malcontent customers that spent money on a vast library only to have their purchases discarded when the new model is released.

Also, some stuff that hasn't been discussed yet:

Wii U and Gamecube discs.

Wii U back catalog wii U pro controller.

Wii U and Wii mii characters.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    NSMB U if it is anything like 3D Land or NSMB Wii will be the best game at launch.

edited June 2012
    Roe wrote: »

I've been waiting for that news also. I'd imagine they would have some really malcontent customers that spent money on a vast library only to have their purchases discarded when the new model is released.

Also, some stuff that hasn't been discussed yet:

Wii U and Gamecube discs. - No

Wii U back catalog wii U pro controller. - No, most likely

Wii U and Wii mii characters. - Possibly
    NSMB U if it is anything like 3D Land or NSMB Wii will be the best game at launch.

It's a New Super Mario Bros. game, it'll be more like NSMBWii than 3D Land.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited June 2012

Assuming you haven't grown completely bored of Nintendo's endless stream of Mario games by now. NSMB Wii was competently designed and all but it felt like a retread rather than a new game. At least Mario Galaxy felt like a new game.

But hey, each NSMB title makes Nintendo a gazillion dollars, so why bother putting in more effort than the bare minimum?

RainbowDespair on
    Well its already 4 player (5 if you want someone on block creation duties) so yes, it is basically NSMBWii2.

That game has some of the best level design in the Mario series and I love playing the game 4 player co-op. Not announcing that you can do this online though was sort of a bummer, though the real joy of multiplayer platforming might be hampered by any amount of lag.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I posted this in the E3 thread, but I think it is more appropriate here. BRING ON THE POKEMONZ. (This is a mockup, I just thought it is a great idea that would drain my wallet something fierce)
    pokemon.jpg

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    not better than 360 graphics confirmed with that shot!

Those graphics look like they could be from the DS for godsake!

This discussion has been closed.