As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help Me I'm New To Comics

1394041424345»

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    All you need to pass the Bechdel test is to have two ladies talk for an arbitrary period of time about something other than a man, so Scott Pilgrim would pass.

That said, the Bechdel test isn't really meant to describe the quality of individual works. An awesome movie about the last woman on Earth fighting robots would fail the test just because there are no female co-stars, whereas a movie where two women have a five minute discussion about shoes would pass even if the rest of it is about women being cockhungry monsters.

Robos A Go Go on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Do you have any particular recommendations for comics with strong females?

RE-Voting DnA's Cosmic run for this reason also, Moonshadow/Phyla Vel, Gamora, Crystal, Medusa, Lilandra, Ikon, all progressed the story, and showed strength of character thruout and were almost never just Damsel_in_distress_02.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Except for when Phyla won't shut up about bringing Moondragon back. But that's minor in the grand scheme of Marvel's cosmic women.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Yeah, Gamora is one of Marvel's best female characters post-Annhilation, even though she sometimes got lost on the Guardians roster.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Gamora and Mantis are fucking awesome

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    DnA's Cosmic Era needs to be on the Sci Fi list too!

i'd warn that it's fairly hard to get it all in print at this point. I had to use a mix of ebay, amazon used sellers and checking regularly for updates and I still am missing realm of kings and Nova Vol 5 (plus a copy of vol 4 that isn't half beat to hell thanks to a shady description from a seller) and I started picking them up around january.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

i'd warn that it's fairly hard to get it all in print at this point. I had to use a mix of ebay, amazon used sellers and checking regularly for updates and I still am missing realm of kings and Nova Vol 5 (plus a copy of vol 4 that isn't half beat to hell thanks to a shady description from a seller) and I started picking them up around january.

It's all available digitally for people who want to go that route though.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »

true... that route is much easier.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »

comiXology only has Nova up to #28, Guardians of the Galaxy up to #18, and is missing War of Kings and Realm of Kings

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    *wraps arms around his cosmic saga in singles and cackles*

But hopefully by the time the new Cosmic stuff hits some digital site/trade reprints hit. GotG has been gaining some attention too with the cartoon cameo and then the movie rumors.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Oh god.

What have I done.

The slippery slope. IT'S A THING. I'm sliding down it a hundred miles an hour and I'm not sure I want to get off this ride.

So, at first, I just read Deadpool and only Deadpool. I read some other things like Y: The Last Man, the Serenity comics, and a few others, but I was never hardcore into comics. I got the Marvel: Civil War collection on a whim a couple weeks ago and started reading.

And reading.

And holy sweet jesus I can't stop. Now I'm pouring into all the other related Civil War comics which now has me into Wolverine, Avengers, X-Men, Spiderman, etc. etc.

Does Marvel have like...some sort of just huge subscription to everything all at once I can do? >.>

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Oh god.

What have I done.

The slippery slope. IT'S A THING. I'm sliding down it a hundred miles an hour and I'm not sure I want to get off this ride.

So, at first, I just read Deadpool and only Deadpool. I read some other things like Y: The Last Man, the Serenity comics, and a few others, but I was never hardcore into comics. I got the Marvel: Civil War collection on a whim a couple weeks ago and started reading.

And reading.

And holy sweet jesus I can't stop. Now I'm pouring into all the other related Civil War comics which now has me into Wolverine, Avengers, X-Men, Spiderman, etc. etc.

Does Marvel have like...some sort just huge subscription to everything all at once I can do? >.>

They used to have a thing on marvel.com where you could subscribe to their digital library for something like $60/year or something, but last I looked into it (at least 2 years ago) the selection was rather lacking. No idea what it's like now, or if it's even still a thing since comixology came along.

I suppose this would be a bad time to recommend looking into the new TMNT series that was finally just added?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    So what should I get if I want to read about Gentleman Ghost being a badass mutha?

GentlemanGhost.jpg

Because holy cow, this guy deserves to be an A-lister.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    new recommendations thread is incoming! just a head's up as to why this is getting locked

This discussion has been closed.