As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Costumes

• Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    Hey Aaron, thanks for the updated list! Btw, is there a link somewhere detailing how one can deactivate a Nerf gun?

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Oh that's a nice solution, the sticker I mean, so people don't have to put some ugly neon plastic on something they probably worked really hard on.

So I was wondering about a piece of my costume, a TF2 Intel case. I bought a nifty old briefcase and figured I'd paint it, but since it's old it's that sort of hard plastic with a faux-leather impression, and I was wondering what sort of paint would adhere to it. My dad said pretty much any paint that's okay for plastic should work (which seems obvious I know) but I figured I'd see if anyone had any personal experience with this sort of material. Apparently the style is called "hard shell" for the plastic, I'm sure you've all seen one at some point or another.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Hey Aaron, thanks for the updated list! Btw, is there a link somewhere detailing how one can deactivate a Nerf gun?

It's literally as simple as taking the screws out of the nerf gun and then pulling out the orange bits. You can leave the trigger itself in, just be sure that whatever actually makes the dart fire is yanked out. The most you ne ed tool wise is a phillips screwdriver and that's about it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    WOOT! More Vivi progress...I've even started a flame staff to go with it...pic in the spoiler
    2zpv8k6.jpg

It's funny...I've done more complicated costumes before but never has such a simplistic design taken me so long to complete....I did an Air Soldier Heartless costume a couple years back for Pax that had a moving, battery operated propeller in the hat. This doesn't really have bells and whistles, the colors are basic but idunno...getting the shapes just right is so...consuming

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
    edited June 2012
    NVM Figured it out.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • FargothFargoth Registered User regular
    This is my first PAX and I shall be going as Junpei from Persona 3! Probably going to be going weaponless due to the rules, but I'm really excited. Although I am having some issues with the belt buckle does anyone have a suggestion?

Fargoth wrote: »
    This is my first PAX and I shall be going as Junpei from Persona 3! Probably going to be going weaponless due to the rules, but I'm really excited. Although I am having some issues with the belt buckle does anyone have a suggestion?

do you have any pics of the belt buckle and what issues you're having?

[X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    It's literally as simple as taking the screws out of the nerf gun and then pulling out the orange bits. You can leave the trigger itself in, just be sure that whatever actually makes the dart fire is yanked out. The most you ne ed tool wise is a phillips screwdriver and that's about it.

Nice, thanks! Never attempted to open up one before, so may give this a shot if I end up wanting a weapon to have with my costume.

edited June 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Nice, thanks! Never attempted to open up one before, so may give this a shot if I end up wanting a weapon to have with my costume.

Nerf guns are fantastic for this sort of thing. Feel free to lemme know if you have any questions!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Heya, I will update the front page with the new policy and the likes when I get nternet back to properly type and stuff, for now I have the ipad and a random connection from a neighbor that cuts in and out due to moving today, gimme a day....or two lol. :)

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Thanks Arwen!

• BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    For the people who make costumes, what would you suggest for making the knee high sock like things behind these boots and knee pads?
    leggings.jpg

Stitch spandex or Lycra together to make like tubes?
    Buy vertical stripe socks?
    Sew fabric together and add elastic on the inside?

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
    Those things almost look like strips of leather loosely sewed together. Hurh.

wWuzwvJ.png
    The material does look a bit thicker than a cotton or spandex blend, but for the sake of keeping it around my calf/knee/thigh and without sweating I think I will opt out of a leather design ._o
    I could take a pair of regular socks and sew strips of something to it though, that's another possibility.

After I figure out how to make it, I need to decide on the colors. They don't look like they are white and black but they aren't brown and tan either I don't think.

itweet
    edited June 2012
    The more I look at that picture, the more I keep thinking that they look less like socks and more like straight up armor. You could just wear socks underneath whatever sort of solution you come up with. That may let you get more creative since it's not that hard to just bind together leather strips with some rawhide (which is exactly what that picture looks like).

In other news, due to the massive time crunch this summer, Imma have to pass on putting together a serious effort on creating a costume for this PAX. I'll keep tinkering with my Mark II Megaman gear but I won't bust my ass trying to whip something up.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Firstly, invest in some sock glue. You can get it a lot of places these days, online or offline. It keeps socks that are being held up by the elasticity of fabrics (thigh highs, Japanese big socks, etc) from falling down.

For replicating leather bulk in a stretch fabric, I actually often like a low-pile fleece. It's thick and stretchy while being fairly light, and from a distance it can look like suede. I'd pick it over spandex for a smoother and more solid look. Even better is "ultrasuede," the microfibre stretch suede analogue, though that can be tougher to find in appropriate colors.

I used this technique to make my friend a fleece version of the leather "crafting apron" in FFXI. The key is to double the fabric when making the fake leather strips. A small tube of fleece pressed flat looks a lot like a strip of leather or suede, but is much more breathable (can still be hot, though).

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    Thank you for the update/ideas!
    This character has a very srappy pieced together costume, so I am starting from the boots up.
    I see many trips to 2nd hand stores in my future to butcher items.

itweet
  • Aud8Aud8 portland/seattleRegistered User new member
    Will be my first time at Pax, and first time dressing up as a human character (only other was a creeper from minecraft haha)

Planning on going as Chell from Portal. Already had the gun so thought why not.

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    Aud8 wrote: »
    Already had the gun so thought why not.

I cosplayed more than one characters because I was like, "I already have 'x', why not?" lol
    That's awesome and can't wait to see it!

edited June 2012
    seconding the fleece idea but I would like to suggest adding interfacing to stiffen it up. There's a pretty thick, sew in interfacing that would make pretty much any fabric stand up...so adding to the previous comments of sewing two pieces of fleece together to get that thickness stick alittle of that interfacing inside...that's how I'm getting my Vivi collar to stand up

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Thin Red PasteThin Red Paste Way out in the sticks.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    AaronC wrote: »
    The TL:DR version of the weapons policy is that bats, wooden swords and other objects that can be used to bludgeon are no longer restricted. Things that shoot, airsoft and things that are sharp or pierce are not allowed.

Simply put, we trust that people aren't going to be intentionally hitting each other and that a ban on those items didn't serve its purpose.

Question/suggestion: I was recently at a con that had a room near the dealer floor which was used as a sort of prop check. Not the verification/ziptie thing, but a place to leave oversized props so that they weren't bumping into people and causing problems in the most congested area of the convention. Are you guys planning to do something like that?

Thin Red Paste on
  • AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    No, control of approved props is up to the individuals who have them. the Washington State Convention Center does not provide a coat check. (unfortunately).

Alrighty, it is a few days late due to travel for seeing family but the front page is updated with the new policy and info for peacebonding with costume weapons

I should go.
  • MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    The character i am going as, Corporate Mundo from LOL, has a briefcase and i do not know if that would count as a weapon or be more like a backpack item since i was planning on storing swag in it. I basically have a old briefcase i found and painted as well as one that i made out of a box then mache'd and skinned to look like a real one but is also very much lighter. Would a prop like that have to be underweight like other weapons or can i just use a real briefcase?

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Ok, so now that the new job is all sorted out, and training is (mostly) finished. I have to buy my airfare this week. *crosses fingers* Gods willing.

Then in the next two weeks tops, work shall begin on my Mass Effect2 FemShep dress from Kasumi. It's gonna be wicked. I'm glad I've been working out, makes all the curves that much better.
    Plus I will be adding this piece of glory to the cosplay. At least until I get too hot to wear it. With the shortness of the dress, I doubt that will be a problem.
    ;p

KellyShepard087 on
    - Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Armor is done!!! I am currently painting the Nerf rifle for it in blue and possibly be trying to make an omniblade.

Front
    393845_2829915460756_1045176616_32219889_1906021221_n.jpg

Back
    402691_2829916980794_1045176616_32219892_1610814878_n.jpg

Side Stipe
    417143_2829916420780_1045176616_32219891_2061230200_n.jpg

Ignore the mess behind me!! The N7 logo has been added, the glue had to sit for 4 hours and I didn't want to be messing with it for pics so I put it on after this and had to let it sit. I have also made it so all the straps stay tight.

Your costume looks amazing :) It would be really neat if you found some crew members to compelete your ensemble. I saw a Garrus and a Wrex last year. I would love to see the whole team and take lots of pictures :D

edited June 2012
    There is a facebook.com/groups/259099300853141Facebook page of us.
    see above for my outfit. :P\

There's a legion, and a tali I think.

KellyShepard087 on

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    edited June 2012
    @Rhea_starstorm
    Thanks for the kind words =)
    I am part of the awesome Mass Effect Cosplay Group that KellyShepard087 linked just above =)
    Also apparently I need to post new pics of the armor if those are the most recent lol. I made quite a few changes and repairs since the midnight release!

We have a Legion, a couple Sheps, and a few other characters all in one group. We are planning on doing some group meetups over the weekend so it should be pretty epic!

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
  • RemmakRemmak Registered User new member
    Not my first PAX, but this will be my first time cosplaying. I'll be going as Sejuani from League of Legends.

God I hope it's not cold when Pax rolls around...

Remmak wrote: »
    Not my first PAX, but this will be my first time cosplaying. I'll be going as Sejuani from League of Legends.

God I hope it's not cold when Pax rolls around...

Nah, for the past three years I've been going to PAX Seattle has had really great weather during PAX.

And now that I've said this it's gonna be raining sideways all weekend.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Ill be bugging you guys for pictures :) I remember last year there was a fem shep/man shep pair and watching them play the dance game.demo was awesome....got pictures somewhere :)

Haha, we do have some really talented cosplayers in our group, and a couple newbies as well. It'll me a good time for sure.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Membino wrote: »
    The character i am going as, Corporate Mundo from LOL, has a briefcase and i do not know if that would count as a weapon or be more like a backpack item since i was planning on storing swag in it. I basically have a old briefcase i found and painted as well as one that i made out of a box then mache'd and skinned to look like a real one but is also very much lighter. Would a prop like that have to be underweight like other weapons or can i just use a real briefcase?
    Ah! What did you use to paint the briefcase? I've been looking all around town for spray paint that's approved for plastic but the color selection really diminishes when you restrict it that way. Did you just use regular spray paint? 'Cuz that would be wonderful, Michael's had some really lovely colors that I would've snapped up if not for the worker lady saying they were more "artsy" and probably wouldn't work on plastic.

So, any chance PAX will be having announced costume contests this year? I know last year some booths had them as a spur of the moment thing, and Crabcat had a "not so contest, contest" but any news yet? I would love to add them to the main post so that as much people can join as possible!

If anyone hears anything then please let me know (now or as we get closer) so I can make a section for it to get the word out!!

I should go.
  • MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    i just used regular acrylic paint (over top some gesso the breifcase material was fairly porous) and some matte varnish but i changed my mind and am gonna try skinning them with fake leather cloth i found at Joann's fabrics something like this http://www.joann.com/microsuede-fabric-brown-distressed/zprd_01601780a/ but light brown for the main part and dark for the corners. i still don't know which briefcase im gonna use. i guess to be safe ill just take the lighter one. It will be more "homemade" too i guess. Acrylic itself is like a plastic and sticks to most things? if not use some kind of primer for it i guess it depends on what type of plastic your trying to paint.

• skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    Well, I've decided....

Since this is very likely to be my last PAX, as I am trying to get the guts to move, I am going all out and planning on cosplaying for the first time evar. I am terrified that my costume will suck, or that I will be too hot, or it will fall off me or break and I'll be embarrassed or something else totally lame....sigh.

Anyway, I am going to make the Dark Brotherhood armor from Skyrim. Wish me luck!

edited June 2012
    skylatron wrote: »
    Well, I've decided....
    Anyway, I am going to make the Dark Brotherhood armor from Skyrim. Wish me luck!

That will look awesome~ I look forward to seeing pictures. If I had the right sewing machine, I would attempt this costume, http://neb.frikafrax.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/game_skyrim_nocturnal01.jpg

BombClancy on
    itweet
  • TurnedtoGoldTurnedtoGold PittsburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I was at PAX East and cosplayed as Jeanne from Bayonetta. My costume wasn't entirely done, so I'm hoping to finish up the last few details this summer. I'd like to bring it to Prime, but only if I can complete it entirely.
    jPBJk.jpg

TurnedtoGold on
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    I was at PAX East and cosplayed as Jeanne from Bayonetta. My costume wasn't entirely done, so I'm hoping to finish up the last few details this summer. I'd like to bring it to Prime, but only if I can complete it entirely.
    jPBJk.jpg

Please do! I'll be in my Bayonetta costume one of the days, and I would LOVE to get some photos together.

• ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    i joined the mass effect cosplay group on facebook.

assuming no crazy complications, boyfriend and i will be there as EDI and Joker.

pax primer @ <3
This discussion has been closed.