As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] SchlitzKrieg Curated Seattle Beer Tour - Got Photos?

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Registration is live for those of you who have confirmed. Check your PA forum inbox for a link.

The Registration link will be posted to this thread for any remaining seats on June 15.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    Pike is walking distance from the Con, so I put it on the beer map but didn't include it on the bus tour.

Don't just go in, check out the back of Pike by the gum wall. My husband brewed with Pike last weekend and said they just open the big back door and tourists just keep walk in without asking. So if you want to see them in action head back there.

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I've just checked my email - every time someone replies to LexiconGrrl, I get a reply too - at first I wondered why TOGSolid was informing me "I am a monster truck that walks like a man. I'll have no issues partying the prior night and showing up for this" - I wondered what may be in store for me coming back to PAX, that maybe I'd entered into an alternate universe! Then I read Lexi's email and thought "Ahhh, that's why!"

I've bought 2 tickets, thank you!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The fact that I am a monster truck that walks like a man is honestly the most important thing to know about PAX.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The fact that I am a monster truck that walks like a man is honestly the most important thing to know about PAX.

I think this email got me more excited than anything else. Ticket bought!

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
  • Options
    at first I wondered why TOGSolid was informing me "I am a monster truck that walks like a man. I'll have no issues partying the prior night and showing up for this" - I wondered what may be in store for me coming back to PAX

No, I think you got it right. It was a warning. TAKE HEED.

(Now I can take the Monster Truck Who Walks Like A Man Awareness tickbox off the waiver).

• Options
    I don't think I've ever met an Alaskan before, let alone one who is a monster truck! Hmmm, I think I'm looking forward to it TOGSolid.

• Options
    It's not very often I can meet someone and genuinely say "Your legend precedes you."

• Options
    courtneyj wrote: »
    It's not very often I can meet someone and genuinely say "Your legend precedes you."

You mean this legend?
    I am, in fact, a giant abrasive dick.

• Options
    Oh man, if we could move this to the Monday after I'd be so over this.

We should put a cardboard cutout of Oliver Reed somewhere on the bus.

It's been moved to Monday. Are you bringing the cutout?

• Options
    EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    Yay, tickets are bought. I am so excited about this.... possibly more excited than I am for my own event. >.>

Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever met an Alaskan before, let alone one who is a monster truck! Hmmm, I think I'm looking forward to it TOGSolid.

I was also slightly confused to find out that TOGSolid may in fact be a transformer.

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • Options

You mean this legend?
    I am, in fact, a giant abrasive dick.

<3

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Yay, tickets are bought. I am so excited about this.... possibly more excited than I am for my own event. >.>

I'm glad it's not going to be a total sausagefest. ;)

• Options
    Oh man, if we could move this to the Monday after I'd be so over this.

We should put a cardboard cutout of Oliver Reed somewhere on the bus.

It's been moved to Monday. Are you bringing the cutout?

Do we have room for a cutout of Oliver Reed?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Hmm.. Maybe. If you're seriously considering it, I'll seriously go check out a bus interior and get back to you.

• Options
    Lol, I've got so much other shit to do that I don't have time to put any real effort into this. Now, if I happen to stumble upon an easy/cheap way to get one...

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOUR UPDATE:

Whew! A lot of changes and decisions have been made over the past week or two! I thought everyone might like to have an update on how the tour is looking now...

The tour stops have been updated in the OP, including links to the breweries' websites and each one's Beer Advocate review.

The very last unconfirmed stop is Baron Brewing's brewpub, which I'm currently negotiating with.

I have confirmed that there will be no drinking beer or alcohol on the bus. It's not a party bus; their insurance doesn't work like that. You can bring closed bottles or growlers on no prob.

The bus will leave the Sheraton at 8:00 AM and return around 9:30 PM. The 'official' tour starts at 9:30, when we arrive at our first stop, the Hood Canal Brewery. People can onload or offload the tour at 4:00 when we arrive from Bremerton at the Downtown Seattle Ferry Dock, which is walking distance from the Sheraton.

Pretty much all the Kitsap breweries are super excited to have us for the tour. Many of the Seattle breweries were like, "meh, we don't need the exposure." So the Seattle breweries you see participating (Odin, 2 Beers, Epic, Lantern, Naked City, NW Peaks) are all exceptionally cool, very engaged brewers who are specially passionate about sharing their beers who are excited about having us come by. IMHO, that's makes a huge difference both in the quality of their beers, and the quality of our visit.

Cool Shit
    There are a few times when you'll have the opportunity to try beers from local breweries that aren't even on the tour, potentially increasing your local beer exposure even more.

The Slippery Pig Brewery's tasting room is a covered outdoor beer garden on their farm. They actually have pigs! It's a gorgeous location - Google Slippery Pig Brewery and check out the images that come up to get an idea. Since we're not going to have time for a separate lunch stop, the cost of lunch has been included in the ticket price and we'll be doing grilled burgers and dogs with sides during our tasting there. It's significantly less expensive this way, but may be a little more rushed.

There will be a roughly 2-hour break between 2:00 and 4:00 while we get the ferry back from Bremerton to Seattle. We'll be waiting for the ferry for about an hour, before the one-hour ferry ride. While waiting for the boat, you can wander around the new Bremerton ferry dock park and waterfront docks which are both really pretty and good photo opportunities. There's also a tiny walk-in Belgian Fries and Beer place called Fritz that has fried snacks, bottled imported Belgian beers and local Der Blokken brews on tap.

Or you can nap.

Back in Seattle, EPIC Ales will have their small plates restaurant up and running when we get there round about happy hour time! So instead of just doing tastes, their prepaid option will be a small plate or two that've been paired with the beer you're drinking.

Later, we'll have an hour and a half on hand for the final stop, which includes Naked City, Baron, and NW Peaks.

Naked City Taphouse is opening up their side room for us that night. Naked City is one of the few breweries in Seattle that also has a taphouse with other breweries' beers. Their selection is outstanding. The way the 12th brewery was able to fit into the tour is by having them specially host a NW Peaks brewery that night. Their kitchen is good but a little slow, so meal plans may include rotational seating or pre-ordering.

Pillager's Pub is immediately across the street from the Naked City and also serves food.

Lastly, Chuck's 85th St. Market is about 8 blocks away (Land of A Thousand Beers). If anyone is still going after ALL THIS and wants to swing over and get some bottles to take home, we can work it out.

• Options
    Wow, just wow! I am in awe of you and your amazing organisational skills. Thank you sooooooo much xxx

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    There's also a tiny walk-in Belgian Fries and Beer place called Fritz that has fried snacks, bottled imported Belgian beers and local Der Blokken brews on tap.

Yes!!! Belgian frites and a Kriek Lambic or Chimay will be the most awesome layover snack!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    There's also a tiny walk-in Belgian Fries and Beer place called Fritz that has fried snacks, bottled imported Belgian beers and local Der Blokken brews on tap.

Yes!!! Belgian frites and a Kriek Lambic or Chimay will be the most awesome layover snack!

The only thing that I think Fritz could do better would be to do the tiny little crispy shoestring fries. They do standard fries which are still really good, and they have something like 15 different dipping sauces you can get - including Curry Ketchup (for anyone who misses Germany). But yeah, generally freaking awesome.

• Options
    I thought Fritz closed. Their website was down and there were no new reviews on Yelp last year when I went looking. Glad to see everything is back up and it proves to still be alive. That place is great.

• Options
    Back in Seattle, EPIC Ales will have their small plates restaurant up and running when we get there round about happy hour time! So instead of just doing tastes, their prepaid option will be a small plate or two that've been paired with the beer you're drinking.

I might take this stop to have a small plate or two paired with some water. I've never had an Epic beer that I could have a second drink of. I think it's the sake yeast.

• Options
    I might take this stop to have a small plate or two paired with some water. I've never had an Epic beer that I could have a second drink of. I think it's the sake yeast.

Totally fair. Diversity and Options mean we have the freedom to like whatever we want to.

• Options
    SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    I have been telling people at work about this adventure. The reaction is always "Awesome!", with much envy, or "12?!...that's... crazy."

Is the place that makes the sweet potato fries still open at the Bremerton terminal?

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • Options

Totally fair. Diversity and Options mean we have the freedom to like whatever we want to.
    NEIN! DAS CRAWLEN VILL ONLY ALLOW ZE ENJOYMENT OF ZE MANDATED DRINKENS! FAILURE TO COMPLY VILL RESULT IN BEING SENT TO ZE CAMP VER YOU VILL BOTTLE ZE ROLLING ROCK ALL DAY AND YOUR ONLY DRINK VILL BE ZE NATTY ICE.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Saldek wrote: »
    Is the place that makes the sweet potato fries still open at the Bremerton terminal?

Yeah, that's Fritz. @VespaChica and I stopped in last weekend. It's owned by the brewer at Der Blokken, so they've always got good local beers on tap.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Saldek wrote: »

Yeah, that's Fritz. @VespaChica and I stopped in last weekend. It's owned by the brewer at Der Blokken, so they've always got good local beers on tap.

I totally blew my weight loss competition at work due to Fritz. It's that good. SWEET CHILLI SAUCE!!! I could bathe in it. But, um, I am getting off topic.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    I am in Kitsap county with my own transportation and DD's available so I might follow/join those stops if possible.
    What would the payment for that be?

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • Options
    BombClancy wrote: »
    I am in Kitsap county with my own transportation and DD's available so I might follow/join those stops if possible.
    What would the payment for that be?

Check out the stops in the OP and PM me with the stops you'd like to join for. There's a bunch of timing logistics that have to be considered, so shoot me a PM so we can take it offline to figure it out.

• Options
    hugemarginoferrhugemarginoferr Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    sooo, if we have recieved a PA does that mean it is too late to register?

*edit* realize now that my original post made weeks ago didn't go through... hope it's not too late. what are the chances that 4 more can join?

hugemarginoferr on
  • Options
    Registered LewieP's Daddy on PA now - he needed a name for the SchlitzKrieg form, so as he is, that's his name!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    sooo, if we have recieved a PA does that mean it is too late to register?

*edit* realize now that my original post made weeks ago didn't go through... hope it's not too late. what are the chances that 4 more can join?

Right now there are 29 out of 30 seats that have been reserved, so there's only 1 seat left. Any seats that haven't been purchased by June 15 will be available. It's hard to know if three people will cancel but I can add you to a wait list in case it happens.

(For now, waitlist is at the bottom of the OP under Interested Parties, to save room).

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    Hey, what about making up some sort of game for the timekeeping aspect of the tour? We've got a time challenge at each stop, but how can we make the constant "hurry up! get on the bus!" a fun game-type thing? Esp. as people get a little more tipsy near the end of each brewery cluster...

Maybe the last person on the bus at each stop has to wear a rotten egg cap on the bus or something? That's kind of a dumb idea, but you know, something along those lines.

I suck at making up games; do you guys have better ideas?

• Options
    Achievement Unlocked: Drunken Asshole

• Options
    VanVagabondVanVagabond NorthWestern BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey, what about making up some sort of game for the timekeeping aspect of the tour? We've got a time challenge at each stop, but how can we make the constant "hurry up! get on the bus!" a fun game-type thing? Esp. as people get a little more tipsy near the end of each brewery cluster...

Maybe the last person on the bus at each stop has to wear a rotten egg cap on the bus or something? That's kind of a dumb idea, but you know, something along those lines.

Take some inspiration from drinking games, and let the group make up a rule for the last person on? Things like they're stuck with a nickname, they've got a curse like T-rex or the little green man, they get something drawn on them with marker, they have to give up their cellphone so others can drunk-text their whole contact list, or something even worse if they really hold things up. Hopefully it will help establish punctuality as a group norm by having everyone involved in picking on the tardy in a playful and fun way.
    I dunno, idea could still use some polish, but that's my two cents for brainstorming!

• Options

Take some inspiration from drinking games, and let the group make up a rule for the last person on? Things like they're stuck with a nickname, they've got a curse like T-rex or the little green man, they get something drawn on them with marker, they have to give up their cellphone so others can drunk-text their whole contact list, or something even worse if they really hold things up. Hopefully it will help establish punctuality as a group norm by having everyone involved in picking on the tardy in a playful and fun way.
    I dunno, idea could still use some polish, but that's my two cents for brainstorming!

This would be total butts if everyone was on time and the last person in line got bugged for no real reason. Now, if the person is a few minutes late then screwing with them would be completely a-ok.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    So, I'm a little late to the party on the whole Schlitzkreig thing, I'm gonna guess it's all full up? I'm interested in going, since I A. love beer, B. live in Seattle and know the area and C. have been to most of these breweries. Is an MC still needed for this or what?

I'm down to help out however I can.

6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    QuickSnap wrote: »
    So, I'm a little late to the party on the whole Schlitzkreig thing, I'm gonna guess it's all full up? I'm interested in going, since I A. love beer, B. live in Seattle and know the area and C. have been to most of these breweries. Is an MC still needed for this or what?

I'm down to help out however I can.

There's actually one seat left for preregistrations, and on June 15 if there are any remaining seats then I'll post the ticketing link to this thread.

Yes, we still kinda need an MC. I'm going to have my hands full coordinating and someone who can keep the energy up and people laughing would be greatly appreciated. Send me a PM if you're seriously interested.
    This would be total butts if everyone was on time and the last person in line got bugged for no real reason. Now, if the person is a few minutes late then screwing with them would be completely a-ok.

Only if it was you.

KIDDING.

But yeah, friendly ridicule is Ok only if it's friendly. I was thinking about some sort of achievement or incentive-based something for time challenges. Like everyone who makes it on the bus before the Mark gets a point or something, that could be redeemed for a prize at the end. Maybe another bonus button? Or extra beer? A Plushie Cthulu for everyone who gets full points? What would be an awesome motivational prize?

• Options
    BEER!!!

Out of politeness I was planning on being the last to get on the bus cos I'll slow down as the day progresses, but now there's a competition ... Sticks and crutches make great weapons if people get in the way, and the handles are good to have in case of a zombie apocalypse!

This discussion has been closed.