As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON]: Game On!

The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, OmeganautRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2006 in PAX Archive
Through August 31st, the Pacific Science Center down by the Space Needle in Seattle is running a special video games exhibit called Game On!

In an interactive environment full of sights and sounds, Game On! details the game design process, including conceptual drawing, character design and sound. The exhibit also shows how geography and culture play a role in game development by examining games that have been created in Japan, the United States and Europe. A look at advancements in gaming hardware - from the colossal computers of the early 1960s to the recent consoles such as Xbox, GameCube and PlayStation 2 - helps to illustrate how art and technologies work together to create amazing new experiences. Along the way, children and adults alike will be enthralled by the interactive and dynamic world of gaming as they have the opportunity to play more than 100 games that illustrate the exhibit content. That's right, play more than 100 games without dropping a single coin into the slot!

Game On! consists of over 14 areas. As guests move through the exhibit, they will discover the key creative people who make games happen, including graphic designers, concept artists, 3D modelers and engineers.

I don't believe that there could have been a more fortuitous time for this exhibit to be running.

For those of you arriving to Seattle on Thursday, this would be a highly worthy side-trip before PAX starts on Friday.

The PSC is open daily from 10:00am to 6:00pm. The cost of admission including the Game On! special exhibit is $13.

BLM - ACAB
The Geek on

• duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Wayne's World rocks!

duderdude2 on
  • NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Car!
    Game on!

Nephirij on
  • dracoflamedracoflame Registered User new member
    edited July 2006
    Just posted this in the Google Earth map thread, but then I found this one.
    I work at PSC, so if enough people want to go to this, I might be able to get everyone a group deal or something.

dracoflame on
  • RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Sounds awesome count me in.

If it doesn't conflict with the Pre-PAX dinner and movie.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    oh I am there!

degreesplatinum on
  • MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Thread titles like this only come along once in a lifetime.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    yeah, as Relativiox said, as long as it doesn't conflict with the pre pax dinner and movie, im there.

Nephirij on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I was talking to ctishman, Friday morning wouldn't be out of the range as a time to do game on. from 10am to maybe close to 1:30 or 2pm (missing the inital waiting in line) as the main event hall is closed on friday and nothing major happens until 4pm (key note speaker) I would love to go with a bunch of people to this and kill some time in the process.

Anyone else?

Viscountalpha on
  • RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Sounds like a plan.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    What day/time?

If we could correlate this to help some Canadians get to Bellevue, it'd be so freaking awesome. Myself, and a number of others are planning to take the bus to Seattle. The bus will drop us off right outside the Space Needle on the 24th, at a yet-to-be-determined time. If you guys would be so rad as to pick us up and take us back with you to Bellevue, we'd love you forever. Yes forever

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    What day/time?

If we could correlate this to help some Canadians get to Bellevue, it'd be so freaking awesome. Myself, and a number of others are planning to take the bus to Seattle. The bus will drop us off right outside the Space Needle on the 24th, at a yet-to-be-determined time. If you guys would be so rad as to pick us up and take us back with you to Bellevue, we'd love you forever. Yes forever

what day is the 24th

i'm leaving for bellevue on thursday

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
    edited July 2006
    Borfase wrote:
    Trillian wrote:
    What day/time?

what day is the 24th

i'm leaving for bellevue on thursday

It's thursday!

Trillian on

edited July 2006
    i might be able to help

i dont know when on thursday i am leaving

Borfase on
    edited July 2006
    Borfase wrote:
    i might be able to help

No matter :D

We'll work something out. We can always walk around downtown Seattle if you'll be later than we are.

Trillian on

edited July 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    i might be able to help

We'll work something out. We can always walk around downtown Seattle if you'll be later than we are.

once your time has been determined, i could possibly get you (us) to our hilton hotel :D

degreesplatinum on
    edited July 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    i might be able to help

once your time has been determined, i could possibly get you (us) to our hilton hotel :D

:D

That or wanna pick us up on the way? ;) We're en-route :P

Trillian on

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    I MAY be able to help if needed.

May.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    I live close to Downtown Seattle. I can assist in rides for up to 3 other people.

Doc on
    edited July 2006
    wow she's got all the wieners under her control

Borfase on
    edited July 2006
    Borfase wrote:
    wow she's got all the wieners under her control

Har de har har.

Banned. Totally.

Doc on
    edited July 2006
    oh nooooooooooooooooo

Borfase on
    edited July 2006
    Borfase wrote:
    oh nooooooooooooooooo

No, you're banned now, you have to stop posting.
    DONT YOU KNOW HOW THIS WORKS

Doc on
    edited July 2006
    Doc wrote:
    I live close to Downtown Seattle. I can assist in rides for up to 3 other people.

I dunno. I'd feel really bad abusing your kindness again <3

Trillian on

edited July 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Trillian wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    i might be able to help

i could. but i have to go thru a shit-load of shopping detours before making it to the Seattle. i don't wanna have the rest of you to suffer in the process. (and I still remember the last time I took you shopping with me... that look in your eyes :P )

degreesplatinum on
    edited July 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Trillian wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    i might be able to help

i could. but i have to go thru a shit-load of shopping detours before making it to the Seattle. i don't wanna have the rest of you to suffer in the process. (and I still remember the last time I took you shopping with me... that look in your eyes :P )

Hey, I'd be up for it if the guys going with us wouldn't kill me. :P

Trillian on

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    **Update**

Im not sure if GAME ON is going to be as good as i expected. The webpage seemed.. weak??

I'd like to do something before pax opens but that doesn't suck. I didn't get a chance to see seattles gameworks. I know it won't compare to the vegas gameworks but i'm still unsure.

Anyones thoughts?

Viscountalpha on
  • panksea06panksea06 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I am work at the science center and I think the exhibit is pretty decent. You could easily spend a bit of time there. But one good thing to realize is that you are in the middle of the Seattle Center if you are down there and there is a lot of stuff to see if you’re interested.

Things like the Space Needle, the recently repaired Monorail (finally saw it running again about 2 days ago,) a bunch of roller coasters, and EMP and its attached Science Fiction Museum, which is god-awesome in my opinion. Bunch of other stuff down there as well.

The Science Fiction museum (http://www.sfhomeworld.org/) is really just awesome. They have one big display projected up which is basically the ships of Sci-Fi, you can scoll to your favorite ships from Star Wars to Star Trek to Futurama to Red Dwarf to Dune to whatever and have them pop up on the screen with a bunch of others and read all the stats about them. They have the actual face hugger aliens from Alien and a full size model of the Alien, they have some home made storm trooper armor on display made by a PA-er actually (I think it is at least, it lists some functions it was worn in and includes the Childs Play charity), and a great collection of other original set pieces and other items dating back to the days of Buck Rogers and earlier. The admission isn’t too bad either and it includes admission to EMP (Experience Music Project http://www.emplive.org/) which is also pretty cool, especially if you are into music at all.

Basically I think you should go to the Seattle Center because it has some awesome stuff down there, and the Game on exhibit is just another example of said awesome stuff.
    http://www.seattlecenter.com/attractions/default.asp
    Reflecting the cultural diversity and natural beauty of the Northwest, Seattle Center is the region's gathering place for year-round entertainment, cultural, educational and recreational activities and events. Each year more than 10 million visitors come to Seattle Center to enjoy community festivals, sporting events, concerts, cultural programs, theater performances, conventions and trade shows, or to simply frolic in the International Fountain and delight in the beauty and splendor of the 87-acre landscaped campus.

panksea06 on
    How can they expect me to have a sig when I am too lame to upload an avatar after 2 ye- oh wait...
  • AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The monorail broke down?

Good to hear Seattle has done better than North Haverbrook.

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    Andwarf wrote:
    The monorail broke down?

It crashed into itself.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    That takes talent.

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I've been in the exhibit a couple of times so far, and I thought it was pretty interesting. I might go back there again with you guys. Of course, I have a membership so it's only a couple of bucks for me to get into the game exhibit, so that makes it a little more worth it. Otherwise I would probably never make three visits to it (Due in part because I don't have a job and couldn't afford it without the membership).

The hall of crazy fitness-related tests that's also in the area is fun too. It's worth wasting a little time in since you'll have already had to pay for entrance anyway.

It's just a shame that they aren't running Toy Test again this year. They used to have a video game testing event during August every year, which was free with admission and usually had a bunch of games that hadn't come out yet. I played SSBM for the first time there. Hopefully PAX will be able to fill that role this year in lieu of Toy Test.

Aydr on
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    Andwarf wrote:
    The monorail broke down?

It crashed into itself.
    Yep. Apparently the tracks aren't far enough apart around certain curves for two trains to pass each other.

A year and a half before that happened, one of the cars caught on fire.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • tannintannin Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    panksea06 wrote:
    They have the actual face hugger aliens from Alien and a full size model of the Alien Queen

fixed.

tannin on
  • shadowklawshadowklaw Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I've been in the EMP once, and it was interesting. I've always wanted to go to the Science Fiction Museum (I have a newspaper clipping of someone adjusting the teeth of the Alien Queen) and I would LOVE to go to Game On with a bunch of other people.

Count me in. :)

shadowklaw on
    "Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer, nothing is more difficult than to understand him."
    ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
    edited August 2006
    shadowklaw wrote:
    I've been in the EMP once, and it was interesting. I've always wanted to go to the Science Fiction Museum (I have a newspaper clipping of someone adjusting the teeth of the Alien Queen) and I would LOVE to go to Game On with a bunch of other people.

Count me in. :)

Ok, sounds cool. Sounds like more then enough to keep me unbored before pax starts. Does anyone know the bus route back to bellevue just in case some one gets lost/left behind? (on accident supposedly)

Viscountalpha on
  • shadowklawshadowklaw Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Using the Metro trip planner, the best way seems to be
    Route MT (Metro Transit) 33 Downtown Seattle
    then
    Route ST (Sound Transit) 550 Bellevue NE 10th Express
    It would take about an hour.
    http://tripplanner.metrokc.gov/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl?resptype=U

shadowklaw on
    "Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer, nothing is more difficult than to understand him."
    ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky