As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AC CHALLENGE 31: The discomfort zone

m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Artist's Corner
NEW AC CHALLENGE RULE: Winner of the previous challenge picks the winner of the next challenge.

The discomfort zone: Welcome to the Thomas Kinkade memorial service 31st AC challenge. This time around we'll have your forum-mates/acquaintances/arch enemies decide which artist you will impersonate and this artist has to be somewhat diametrically opposite of what your style usually is. In this particularly devious challenge sweat will be shed, tears will grease your bodies and eyes will be torn out from sheer frustration of the impending task (but what do I care, I just administer the poisonchallenge) and if you get the task of forging an artist you particularly despise, making the best of it is part of the fun. The goal is to get as far away from your comfort zone as possible by impersonating the style (not the subject) of the given artist and seeing what happens.

In order to sort out what style you'll be drawing in just write "I'm in" in the comments so we'll know who's participating. Also, if you don't frequent these parts of the forums so often (or the forum in its entirety) and would like to participate just quickly describe a bit about yourself (pet's name, mother's maiden name... anything that might be a secret question) and what art styles you mostly practice.
May Liefeld have mercy on your souls.

edit: ALSO you have to participate if you want to suggest match ups! Cue evil laughter.
edit: edit: changed the title and description to better reflect the direction this is going
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
For those of you who frequent the conceptart.org forums this should be pretty familiar; tens of artistic combatants thrown together in to an artistic arena, each struggling for the honor of being dubbed a master of the visual arts. Those of you who succeed will be bathed in glory and the blood of their competitors, those of you who fail will be exiled to a life of shame and isolation.

The aim of this thread is to try and spice things up a bit here in the ol' Artist's Corner. This thread is for entries in to the challenge or the discussion thereof. If you'd like to suggest a topic for the weekly challenge, go right ahead, but understand that the last winner of the challenge has total control over the task (unless they have won more than two challenges in a row, see rules).

The rules are simple;

RULES:

* One entry per person, per challenge.
* A contestant cannot win more than two challenges in a row.
* Winner gets the privilege of choosing the next challenge.
* Winner also gets the honor of picking the winner of the next challenge.
* At the end of a challenge, the thread is locked and a new one is begun.
* Stick to the challenge topic; no going off on a tangent.
* All formats welcome, whether they be traditional or digital; 2D or 3D; still or animated.

If you're looking for inspiration, check out the aforementioned conceptart.org forums (specifically the creature/environment/character of the week sections).

Previous Challenges:

CHALLENGE 1: Hidden World
CHALLENGE 2: Red Vs Blue
CHALLENGE 3: Satan Teapot
CHALLENGE 4: Crime Fighting Hobo
CHALLENGE 5: Universal Monsters
CHALLENGE 6: Lyric Interpretation
CHALLENGE 7: Santa vs Dinos
CHALLENGE 8: Retro Poster
CHALLENGE 9: Literal Literature
CHALLENGE 10: Choose! Choose the form of the destructor!
CHALLENGE 11: Heroes In a Half Shell
CHALLENGE 12: Fancy Hats
CHALLENGE 13: God Splicing
CHALLENGE 14: Copycats
CHALLENGE 15: Pinups
CHALLENGE 16: Trick or Treat
CHALLENGE 17: How Far We Have Come
CHALLENGE 18: Back to the Retrofuture
CHALLENGE 19: Crime Noir
CHALLENGE 20: Make a Video Game
CHALLENGE 21: You Just Got Served!
CHALLENGE 22: HERE THERE BE DRAGONS
CHALLENGE 23: I WANT TO BELIEVE
CHALLENGE 24: FIRST!!!!
CHALLENGE 25: YOUR NAME AS A LABEL
CHALLENGE 26: SEVEN DEADLY HELMS
CHALLENGE 27: Jurassic Park 4 Concept & Design
CHALLENGE 28: Pirate vs Ninja vs Cowboy
CHALLENGE 29: They're just like us!
CHALLENGE 30: Drivers and their rides!

m3nace on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I guess I should commit to doing something small to this because obviously I'll be trying to get you guys to draw things you absolutely loathe.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm gonna do this one. I haven't done a challenge in forever. (oh god my art list backlog ahhhhhhh)

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Hmmm... I'm interested. Not quite sure there is a specific art style I despise.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Personally, I'm going to go for "Unlike what what you normally do" rather than "despise". I think we probably collectively despise the same sort of stuff, and I don't think I can try and get you guys to make hotel paintings and furry slash art for Twilight.

So.
    Nib my choices for you would be:

Tynic I donno, maybe one of these:

Iruka on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Im in.

I have been around since before god created light, but I havent posted art in many years, so I will talk about myself, because I love the sound of my voice.

I basically hate everything I cant do, most art styles included. Im terribly lazy, I think that there is only black void outside of my comfort zone, and I pretty much just draw when Im at work (digital). My favorite media has always been ink, ink wash, and all things ink related, like octopuses, and printers, etc.

Now, I would recomend.

Iruka.
    foriruka.jpg

Tynic.
    fortynic.jpg

NibCrom
    fornibcrom.jpg

PierceNeck
    epsonperfection2480scan.jpg

amateurhour
    foramateurhour.jpg

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I'd participate in this if I had a working scanner.

But I don't!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm in... I've been meaning to get into an AC challenge and this will get me out of my comfort zone.

Good luck all! <-- me being nice so I don't get stuck with a shitty guy/girl to ape

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Fantomas your image is broken.

Amateur Hour: Tried to pick some more traditional-ish stuff, I don't think you have a tablet?

Fant:

Iruka on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    hopefully its fixed, I can see them... but, that doesnt mean I did it right.

And, about this challenge, we only have to emulate a style right? it has nothing to do with the subject of the image itself... am I correct in this asumprion ?

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    Welp, I definitely won't be participating in this one. I like my comfort zone. I'm comfortable there.

• Options
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    And, about this challenge, we only have to emulate a style right? it has nothing to do with the subject of the image itself... am I correct in this asumprion ?
    Yes, emulate the style not the subjects!

• Options
    You know what? I think I will participate in this one. These usually run for a long time, I can probably find a scanner in time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    IN

Also keep in mind I don't have a tablet either. I'll try to think of ideas for others while I work and look around the comic shop today (:

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Seeing as how cute MD's style is I suggest something... brutal and manly-shmanly. Joe Mad? Or perhaps a more gentlemanly Kevin O'neill?

m3nace on
  • Options
    squaresquare Cockbutt TurinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'm not really sure if I should participate since I cannot guarantee an entry. The contest looks pretty fun tho and I would give it a shot anyway.

Uh, as op rules stated: "I'm in!"

EDIT: The thread title should has the number 31 instead of 30

square on
    Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    If anyone does Kinkade, the painter of light, my vote is on AoB (if he does this).

• Options
    StplmstrStplmstr Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kim kongKim kong Registered User regular
    Is it still okay to say that I'm in. Because if so, I'm in.

• Options
    It's okay to say you're in for as long as the contest runs basically.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Kim:
    Iruka:
    jimmyspread1.jpg
    Chris Ware
    century1.jpg
    O'Neill,%20Kevin%20-%20League%20of%20Extraordinary%20Gentlemen,%20V2,%20issue%202,%20page%209,%20CAF.jpg
    Kevin O'neill

m3nace on
  • Options
    StplmstrStplmstr Registered User regular
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS
    raises his hand "I have another question!, me me me me, here ! !"

-who and when will give final desision on what style each of us will be doing? Is it going to be the OP ? Popular request? Do we get to choose what we want from what other forumers posted for us ? Bla bla bla ? yadda yadda yadda ? brll brll brlll ?

I AM anxious, but Im not rushing the OP, I just wonder how it will work.

Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    raises his hand "I have another question!, me me me me, here ! !"

-who and when will give final desision on what style each of us will be doing? Is it going to be the OP ? Popular request? Do we get to choose what we want from what other forumers posted for us ? Bla bla bla ? yadda yadda yadda ? brll brll brlll ?

I AM anxious, but Im not rushing the OP, I just wonder how it will work.

• Options
    I think I'm just going to try doing little 20-30minute doodles of whatever people throw at me, just to see how it goes.

• Options
    I think I'll just let you pick and choose from what is thrown at you, after all people don't throw stuff at you that is within your comfort zone. So I guess no matter what you choose you wont be inside your comfort zone and the degree of "discomfort" doesn't really matter, as long as you're outside that damn zone.

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions Iruka, gotta try brenze style.

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ok I'm in also

• Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    so its just the style and subject matter that we have to mimic and not the actually painting/image suggested?

JeckalHyde on
  • Options
    Right. You're trying to catch the mood/style as best as you can and stretch outside of your normal work mode, not just copy the image directly.

• Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    Me next!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Cyber just entered... he always wins... okay everyone pack your bags and, wait! See guys, this is where this contest's theme gets in handy. I'll leave it to you guys to decide who Cyber has to impersonate
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb8fWUUXeKM&amp;feature=related

m3nace on
  • Options
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    Fantomas your image is broken.

Amateur Hour: Tried to pick some more traditional-ish stuff, I don't think you have a tablet?

I'm good with that. I do have a tablet, but it's a six year old bamboo with the 512 pressure sensitivity, I've treated it like ass, and I'm pretty bad with it, so I stick to traditional stuff because it's devil technology and it scares the shit out of me. : )

I like the first one, because it's cartoony but WAY more detailed than my typical stuff, almost like John K. art.

Also I really like the colors in the second one.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    I'm in.

http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    Nobody remembers what I draw like.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'm in - most recent stuff at my blog. But I guess I'd call it a weird mashup of digital painting, cartoony, and concept art? I dunno how to describe me.

nakirush on
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    nm

bebarce on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    what would people choose for me?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    what would people choose for me?
    blacksad5.jpg
    Juanjo Guarnido
    tumblr_lowspomPAQ1qh7wjmo1_500.jpg
    Yoshitaka Amano
    That's right, wolf people and anime
    edit: also, get suggestin guys. I'm running out of artists on my mind.

m3nace on