As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mr. Rogers' Neighbor[chat]

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    snow crash was a fantastic thing to stumble across at age sixteen and I am glad I did. it made me laugh and it gave me a new way to look at things. but I definitely feel like I outgrew it a long time ago.

gibson by contrast writes books that I go back to again and again, if nothing else for the sheer pleasure of his prose and the characters and imagery he creates.

rRwz9.gif
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    podly what went wrong

sig.gif
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i don't know what the tone of that gif is supposed to be

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Cryptonomicon is a much better example of Stephenson's stuff. I enjoyed it way more than Snow Crash.

Crypto is a series of vaugely connected short stories (some of which are mediocre at best) with a slapped-on ending that ranks among mankinds most aweful crimes (right up there with how fucking bad the ending of Diamond Age was).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

an old chinese man leering at you

rRwz9.gif
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

an old chinese man leering at you

Story of my life.

i've pretty much given up on stephenson at this point

i tried to read the one he did about Newton, which was a great idea and had some excellent scenes like shoving a knitting needle into his own eye, but i really didn't like that one either

i'm really trying to relax and read some nice pleasant genre fiction but i'm having a rough time. but i'm not in the mood to read, fuckin', grimdark McCarthy cowboy murders or hysterical realist musings on fractured immigrant families or whatever

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    podly what went wrong

Ehhh, just a lot of little things that pissed me off. I have to be fucking manager tomorrow (which I found out about at 10pm tonight) which means I have to go to work SUPER EARLY, which means

(A) I can't go see one of my favorite artists, Perc, DJ tonight, and
    (B) I can't be dancing with a super attractive lady at said show, who was really bummed out I couldn't make it

And I had to loan my roommate a lot of money for some stuff. And the Celtics lost a heart breaker and got eliminated from the playoffs and probably ended the current era of the team. And I lost an ebay bid I was really hoping to win.

LOTS OF SHIT, DOGG

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Sorry, I blew up the movie thread. Prometheus kind of sent me into a frenzy of angry nerd. I think Tron 2 was less disappointing than this.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

We are just not meant for this world, EM.

Also, if you're looking for some good historical metafiction about the enlightenment, read The Sot-Weed Factor. It's fucking perfect.

FCC: I was SOOOOOOO disappointed by Prometheus. Also, it was quite racist.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • MizouraMizoura Moon pies and starry skies Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    podly what went wrong

Ehhh, just a lot of little things that pissed me off. I have to be fucking manager tomorrow (which I found out about at 10pm tonight) which means I have to go to work SUPER EARLY, which means

(B) I can't be dancing with a super attractive lady at said show, who was really bummed out I couldn't make it

And I had to loan my roommate a lot of money for some stuff. And the Celtics lost a heart breaker and got eliminated from the playoffs and probably ended the current era of the team. And I lost an ebay bid I was really hoping to win.

LOTS OF SHIT, DOGG

A) Go anyways
    B) Dance the eff outta her

Make roommate get you more whiskey for penance!

• Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Neal Stephenson books always start out super slow and hard to get into, but they always hook me somehow. Right in the middle of Anathem right now. I frequently stop to look up words, so its also educational.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    snow crash was a fantastic thing to stumble across at age sixteen and I am glad I did. it made me laugh and it gave me a new way to look at things. but I definitely feel like I outgrew it a long time ago.

gibson by contrast writes books that I go back to again and again, if nothing else for the sheer pleasure of his prose and the characters and imagery he creates.

After having met Stepherson once, it turned me off of reading his books.

Mizoura wrote: »
    podly what went wrong

LOTS OF SHIT, DOGG

A) Go anyways
    B) Dance the eff outta her

Make roommate get you more whiskey for penance!

I don't have any good stimulants, and since I had to give my roommate that money, I am quite broke at the moment.

There will be another time to see good techno with her. I was just really looking forward to it being tonight.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Cryptonomicon is a much better example of Stephenson's stuff. I enjoyed it way more than Snow Crash.

It was kind of long winded, in my opinion. I really liked it, but it really needed to be cut down a lot.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Crypto is a series of vaugely connected short stories (some of which are mediocre at best) with a slapped-on ending that ranks among mankinds most aweful crimes (right up there with how fucking bad the ending of Diamond Age was).

Whaaat. This is not true at all! The stories are nicely interconnected and it builds to that ending the entire time! And sure, learning about WWII-era Waterhouse running a fake huff-duff station wasn't exactly a thrill a minute, but it was still entertaining enough. I wouldn't call it mediocre. And I loved how he never shied away from going on a digression for a page or two to tell a little sub-story to get a particular feeling conveyed to the reader perfectly.

In conclusion, you are wrong except about The Diamond Age because what the fuck was that.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Oh no! I'm on the last 75 pages of Diamond Age. :(

Sorry, I blew up the movie thread. Prometheus kind of sent me into a frenzy of angry nerd. I think Tron 2 was less disappointing than this.

You're a loose Cloud Fuzzy, I want your badge and your gun on my desk by 15:00hrs.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Man. DCUO has some crazy good combat.

Quid on
    i was just looking at some nice leatherbound collections my dad got me, and i have the grimm fairy tales collected

that's something i could read to someone else's children to freak them out, how delightful

in conclusion

eit1.jpg

9pr1GIh.jpg?1

You're a loose Cloud Fuzzy, I want your badge and your gun on my desk by 15:00hrs.
    I'm gonna call it right now. This is like when Phantom Menace came out and people actually convinced themselves it was a good movie for like a year or so before admitting it was terrible. There is some massive delusion going on to save our nerd psyche from the disappointment.

i've pretty much given up on stephenson at this point

i tried to read the one he did about Newton, which was a great idea and had some excellent scenes like shoving a knitting needle into his own eye, but i really didn't like that one either

i'm really trying to relax and read some nice pleasant genre fiction but i'm having a rough time. but i'm not in the mood to read, fuckin', grimdark McCarthy cowboy murders or hysterical realist musings on fractured immigrant families or whatever

more william gibson (virtual light, idoru, pattern recognition, or burning chrome, his book of shorts)

john crowley's little, big

algys budris's rogue moon

have you read any joe r. lansdale? he writes gothic texas mystery horror adventure comedy and yes there are no commas between those. they're short and punchy with a few scary scenes and some laughs and a lot of dialect wordplay.

greg rucka's atticus kodiak series, about a professional bodyguard to people like abortion doctors and tobacco witnesses, is exciting adventure stuff that's underlaid by some actual research. it's fun times in the vein of like "24" but you do come away feeling like you've learned a couple things, even if just about security tradecraft.

rRwz9.gif
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular

Oh no! I'm on the last 75 pages of Diamond Age. :(

Eh, opinions differ. It didn't really surprise me, but it didn't offend me either. I love Diamond Age, admittedly not for its ending.

Zodiac, Snow Crash & Diamond Age remain my favorites of Stephenson's, but I was really young when I read them. Like, ridiculously young. Elementary school. I'm pretty sure I just can't judge their quality objectively; even to talk about their prose I'm just parroting complaints I've heard from other people. I'm glad I read them at a time when the stories and ideas utterly eclipsed any problem with the writing, because while I have heard consistently that it's subpar it still seemed just ducky to me when I went back to them for rereads a couple of years ago.

Thomamelas wrote: »

After having met Stepherson once, it turned me off of reading his books.

what was he like?

rRwz9.gif
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    lots of people need cheering up tonight
    this seemed to work last night
    wY2Na.gif
    i'm sorry chu

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!

I'm gonna call it right now. This is like when Phantom Menace came out and people actually convinced themselves it was a good movie for like a year or so before admitting it was terrible. There is some massive delusion going on to save our nerd psyche from the disappointment.

Don't laugh, but I thought the exact same thing earlier today reading some peoples reviews/impressions.

rogue moon sounds bizarre, too bad it's not available for kindle

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    the ending of Diamond Age isn't terrible because it's "offensive" but because it is an incredibly ham-fisted deus ex that relies upon the main character doing things that are not only totally out of character for her but for any sane human being.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    And one of my other roommates seems to have purchased a fucking industrial sized vat of zebra cakes

like, I could take 12 and he would have no idea

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Hi, chat.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The problem with Prometheus is that I'm not seeing it until Sunday afternoon, but everywhere I go people are spraying me with their Prometheus opinions.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Writing posts like a 4th grade book report is my favorite style. Many people like to write posts in different styles. A writer's style is very important. Different writing styles can make a reader feel different ways. Writing like a small child makes your thoughts seem comically plodding.

Simple sentences do not intimidate a struggling reader. More advanced readers like your writing because it is clear. In conclusion, I think that writing posts like a 4th grade book report is the best way to write posts.

And one of my other roommates seems to have purchased a fucking industrial sized vat of zebra cakes

like, I could take 12 and he would have no idea

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Tastiest act of suicide ever?

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    The problem with Prometheus is that I'm not seeing it until Sunday afternoon, but everywhere I go people are spraying me with their Prometheus opinions.

prometheus is the new me3

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!

Don't laugh, but I thought the exact same thing earlier today reading some peoples reviews/impressions.
    It is like I live in an alternate reality where Prometheus was a really deep and awe inspiring movie instead of a beautifully shot and terribly written one.

• Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular

Interesting. I cannot stand Gibson's writing. I recognize his contribution to the science fiction genre and I read Neuromancer because I felt like I needed to. I also tried reading Pattern Recognition, but couldn't get through it. I see that he has a lot of great ideas, but I just can't stand his writing.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Writing posts like a 4th grade book report is my favorite style. Many people like to write posts in different styles. A writer's style is very important. Different writing styles can make a reader feel different ways. Writing like a small child makes your thoughts seem comically plodding.

Simple sentences do not intimidate a struggling reader. More advanced readers like your writing because it is clear. In conclusion, I think that writing posts like a 4th grade book report is the best way to write posts.

Much love.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited June 2012
    Elki wrote: »

And they're all total fucking downers too. I was incredibly excited to see it but now my interest is waning. Based on aggregate reviews, I think if I had gone in with no preconceptions, I would have enjoyed it. But now it's like someone has farted in my dinner. Spray fart.

Donkey Kong on

Interesting. I cannot stand Gibson's writing. I recognize his contribution to the science fiction genre and I read Neuromancer because I felt like I needed to. I also tried reading Pattern Recognition, but couldn't get through it. I see that he has a lot of great ideas, but I just can't stand his writing.

i love his writing but i could see why someone would not, definitely.

i also think he has excellent ideas, but neuromancer was weak in terms of character and plot (it was his first novel, i believe, so that's not unexpected)

This discussion has been closed.