As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mr. Rogers' Neighbor[chat]

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    the problem with prometheus is that if I wanted to watch Independence Day I'd just watch Independence Day

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sorry, I blew up the movie thread. Prometheus kind of sent me into a frenzy of angry nerd. I think Tron 2 was less disappointing than this.

Man, Tron 2 was great. Not sure why it gets any hate at all. It's precisely what Tron 2 should have been.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    The problem with Prometheus is that I'm not seeing it until Sunday afternoon, but everywhere I go people are spraying me with their Prometheus opinions.

And they're all total fucking downers too. I was incredibly excited to see it but now my interest is waning. Based on aggregate reviews, I think if I had gone in with no preconceptions, I would have enjoyed it. But now it's like someone has farted in my dinner. Spray fart.

today my girlfriend told me that she read a craigslist article called "To: girl who gambled on a fart and lost - i still think you're cute" or something

i stopped her there

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I don't remember the ending of Diamond Age. It's been a long time since I read it. I remember thoroughly enjoying it, though.

Dresden Files is some pretty good light hearted stuff, at least at the start of the series. It's pretty grim right now, though. :P But that's like, 12 books in.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The problem with Prometheus is that I'm not seeing it until Sunday afternoon, but everywhere I go people are spraying me with their Prometheus opinions.

And they're all total fucking downers too. I was incredibly excited to see it but now my interest is waning. Based on aggregate reviews, I think if I had gone in with no preconceptions, I would have enjoyed it. But now it's like someone has farted in my dinner. Spray fart.

Yeah. Everyone's like "it might have been a good movie, if..."

I'll try to forget about that tomorrow, before I see it, and then sneak to watch that movie with Twilight girl.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Podly wrote: »
    the problem with prometheus is that if I wanted to watch Independence Day I'd just watch Independence Day

The problem with Prometheus is that it doesn't make any sense.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

It is worth it just to see the amazing cinematography. Maybe put earplugs in so you can think your own dialogue.

podly's viscous Prometheus opinions hang in ropey strands from Elki's mouth and chin

a curd of opinion rolls lazily down and drips against his chest

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Sorry, I blew up the movie thread. Prometheus kind of sent me into a frenzy of angry nerd. I think Tron 2 was less disappointing than this.

Man, Tron 2 was great. Not sure why it gets any hate at all. It's precisely what Tron 2 should have been.

yeah if he means the recentish tron movie I thought it was good times. Certainly wasn't any less full of plot holes or crazy BS than the orignal (which I have seen a lot in the last decade. my son loves it)

If there has been another tron after the one a couple years ago I haven't seen it though.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Hell, it was better than Tron 1! It made more sense at any rate, and had an incredible soundtrack and also Olivia Wilde's ass.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    snow crash was a fantastic thing to stumble across at age sixteen and I am glad I did. it made me laugh and it gave me a new way to look at things. but I definitely feel like I outgrew it a long time ago.

gibson by contrast writes books that I go back to again and again, if nothing else for the sheer pleasure of his prose and the characters and imagery he creates.

After having met Stepherson once, it turned me off of reading his books.

what was he like?

Second only to Tom Clancy in terms of douchey. He made it clear he didn't want to be there and made sure to re-enforce that idea. I mean he was a jackass with the people who talked to him, unlike Tom Clancy who didn't talk to anyone in line and had people to be an ass for him. Those two are pretty strong exceptions among the writers I've met. Most tend to be "Holy shit, these people are here to see me?" Like Armstead Maupin who literally just came to sign books and didn't have time for a proper public signing was super excited that I had read Tales of the City. And that the mini-series had been a big factor in helping me figure out how I was different.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    there are amazing things in prometheus for sure

you will be happy

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch

I'll try to forget about that tomorrow, before I see it, and then sneak to watch that movie with Twilight girl.

Every movie might have been a good movie if x. There is absolutely no movie where there does not exist some situation x that would have made it a good movie.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i just realized that in my brain neal stephenson and william gibson are the same person

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    If someone tells me a movie I'm excited to see is crap, I thank them and invest my money else where.

A movie isn't going to improve or suffer because someone told you their opinion.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i just realized that in my brain neal stephenson and william gibson are the same person

They kind of are to me, too, and I've read multiple books by both.

You know who is absolutely awesome in person? Bruce Campbell!

If someone tells me a movie I'm excited to see is crap, I thank them and invest my money else where.

A movie isn't going to improve or suffer because someone told you their opinion.

totally, utterly disagree. your predisposition towards any experience - food, movies, books, even meeting someone new - is enormously influenced by the opinions of others, and that predisposition in turn shapes your response

someone telling you that a movie is bad and full of plot holes is going to make you worry about that, or at least consider it, and you'll be more aware of possible issues and looking for plot hole as you watch; you might get hung up on things that otherwise wouldn't bother you.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    podly's viscous Prometheus opinions hang in ropey strands from Elki's mouth and chin

a curd of opinion rolls lazily down and drips against his chest

He doesn't offer a towel or nothing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Is Prometheus better or worse than Sunshine? Because Sunshine falls apart in the third act but I still love it to death.

Every movie might have been a good movie if x. There is absolutely no movie where there does not exist some situation x that would have made it a good movie.

i challenge you to come up with a situation in which Human Centipede is not an exception to this statement.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Some movies require more then a simple X. Some may require X,Y and Z. Take Changing Lanes. It needed a better plot. It needed a better director. It needed to not have Ben Affleck.

And I would have been so mad if I had gone into Sunshine expecting it to fall apart. It would have totally changed my perception of it.

(Just pretend that I am not doing to everyone exactly the thing I am complaining about)

edited June 2012
    when kakos sprays his opinions they are not viscous; they are thin, watery, and black, and they spray out of him like diarrhea out of a man who has only had coffee for the last three days

Evil Multifarious on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

It is worth it just to see the amazing cinematography. Maybe put earplugs in so you can think your own dialogue.
    people have suggested watching it with earbuds in while you listen to something else.

Is Prometheus better or worse than Sunshine? Because Sunshine falls apart in the third act but I still love it to death.

I don't like sunshine

you will probably like it less than sunshine

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2012

Way way way worse than Sunshine. I felt like the ending, the very end, of Sunshine had some beauty and validation. there was no such redemption for the multivarious flaws of prometheus.

Also, I liked Sunshine and hated Prometheus, so yeah.

Dynagrip on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    sup baby pas and baby paettes

• MizouraMizoura Moon pies and starry skies Registered User regular

i challenge you to come up with a situation in which Human Centipede is not an exception to this statement.

Human Centipede might have been a good movie if A) The Japanese made it. Exhibit? The Guinea Pig series.

at least the Avengers was totally great and lived up to expectations!

that baby in that gif who gets excited was basically me tonight as i watched the avengers

also, i'm pretty drugged up and buzzed at this point so i apologize for any typos.

I also don't know if I'd say 'cinematography'... the design was fantastic( the sets, the "relics") and the special effect were amazing.

I wasn't impressed by the camera, if this makes sense.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I mean, I think Prometheus is a fine movie. Ridley Scott knows how to keep your attention, and the actual cinematic elements are completely competent: the editing is pushy while still giving the scene the proper attention, the cinematography is gorgeous, the graphics are awe-inspiring. But, jesus, this is the man who gave me Alien and Blade Runner, two of the movies that I hold up to show that the Hollywood system can produce eternally genius works of art. And this is what I get? This?!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I also don't know if I'd say 'cinematography'... the design was fantastic( the sets, the "relics") and the special effect were amazing.

I loved the SPOILER FOR PROMETHEUS HERE
    part where fassbender activates the cockpit. I thought pretty much everything with fassbender was really well shot.

when kakos sprays his opinions they are not viscous; they are thin, watery, and black, and they spray out of him like diarrhea out of a man who has only had coffee for the last three days

I'm not sure what that means.

snow crash was a fantastic thing to stumble across at age sixteen and I am glad I did. it made me laugh and it gave me a new way to look at things. but I definitely feel like I outgrew it a long time ago.

gibson by contrast writes books that I go back to again and again, if nothing else for the sheer pleasure of his prose and the characters and imagery he creates.

After having met Stepherson once, it turned me off of reading his books.

what was he like?

Second only to Tom Clancy in terms of douchey. He made it clear he didn't want to be there and made sure to re-enforce that idea. I mean he was a jackass with the people who talked to him, unlike Tom Clancy who didn't talk to anyone in line and had people to be an ass for him. Those two are pretty strong exceptions among the writers I've met. Most tend to be "Holy shit, these people are here to see me?" Like Armstead Maupin who literally just came to sign books and didn't have time for a proper public signing was super excited that I had read Tales of the City. And that the mini-series had been a big factor in helping me figure out how I was different.

Gene Wolfe was a really sweet old man. I'm glad I got to meet him and tell how much his work meant to me.

• MizouraMizoura Moon pies and starry skies Registered User regular
    Mizoura wrote: »

Human Centipede might have been a good movie if A) The Japanese made it. Exhibit? The Guinea Pig series.

--most notably Flowers of Flesh and Blood.

You know who is absolutely awesome in person? Bruce Campbell!

R.A. Salvatore was super nice in person. Always a pleasure to do a signing with. Kept the line moving, yet managed to get everyone to feel like they had a chance to talk with him. Helped me pull a prank on a friend of mine. Also ran a session of D&D at the TSR Silver Anniversary tour.

Emeril Lagasse was really nice. He brought us fresh seafood, kept the line moving, made everyone feel welcome. Also went above and beyond and signed another 100 books after the signing was over.

Nicest celebrity I ever met was Paul Newman. A really nice man who listening to my innane questions about driving at Le Mans.

Variable wrote: »

I think there were a couple of Cecil B. Demille HOLY FUCK shots

It's just less impressive when you know it's just computer designed.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    i've pretty much given up on stephenson at this point

i tried to read the one he did about Newton, which was a great idea and had some excellent scenes like shoving a knitting needle into his own eye, but i really didn't like that one either

i'm really trying to relax and read some nice pleasant genre fiction but i'm having a rough time. but i'm not in the mood to read, fuckin', grimdark McCarthy cowboy murders or hysterical realist musings on fractured immigrant families or whatever

yeah, i brought the border trilogy with me into town and i don't think i'll be reading it any time soon. i need lighter reading for now.

This discussion has been closed.