As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mr. Rogers' Neighbor[chat]

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Maybe I will just watch Sunshine again.

Oh oh! I will make the Icarus 1 distress beacon sound my text tone! And then someone will start texting me at 4am and I will wake up screaming.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    when kakos sprays his opinions they are not viscous; they are thin, watery, and black, and they spray out of him like diarrhea out of a man who has only had coffee for the last three days

I'm not sure what that means.

it means literally nothing. i just wanted to write that sentence.

• Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Is Prometheus better or worse than Sunshine? Because Sunshine falls apart in the third act but I still love it to death.

Sunshine is one of those movies that can be saved if you just stop it at a certain point. I just hit stop before...
    space psycho shows up and let it end on a cliffhanger

Similarly, AI is decent if you stop it before FUTURE ROBOT ALIEN THINGS!

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    snow crash was a fantastic thing to stumble across at age sixteen and I am glad I did. it made me laugh and it gave me a new way to look at things. but I definitely feel like I outgrew it a long time ago.

gibson by contrast writes books that I go back to again and again, if nothing else for the sheer pleasure of his prose and the characters and imagery he creates.

After having met Stepherson once, it turned me off of reading his books.

what was he like?

Second only to Tom Clancy in terms of douchey. He made it clear he didn't want to be there and made sure to re-enforce that idea. I mean he was a jackass with the people who talked to him, unlike Tom Clancy who didn't talk to anyone in line and had people to be an ass for him. Those two are pretty strong exceptions among the writers I've met. Most tend to be "Holy shit, these people are here to see me?" Like Armstead Maupin who literally just came to sign books and didn't have time for a proper public signing was super excited that I had read Tales of the City. And that the mini-series had been a big factor in helping me figure out how I was different.

Gene Wolfe was a really sweet old man. I'm glad I got to meet him and tell how much his work meant to me.

Most authors seem to be.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    sup baby pas and baby paettes

Finally. Someone who understands my plight.

I should be seeing Perc DJing right now, dancing with a fine honey, dressed in all black, underground, with a shitty fog machine and one green laser off a disco ball.

BUT FUCKING WORK GOT SOME REAL WORLD SHIT ON ME

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Elki wrote: »
    The problem with Prometheus is that I'm not seeing it until Sunday afternoon, but everywhere I go people are spraying me with their Prometheus opinions.

And they're all total fucking downers too. I was incredibly excited to see it but now my interest is waning. Based on aggregate reviews, I think if I had gone in with no preconceptions, I would have enjoyed it. But now it's like someone has farted in my dinner. Spray fart.

Yeah. Everyone's like "it might have been a good movie, if..."

I'll try to forget about that tomorrow, before I see it, and then sneak to watch that movie with Twilight girl.

Every movie might have been a good movie if x. There is absolutely no movie where there does not exist some situation x that would have made it a good movie.

Some movies require more then a simple X. Some may require X,Y and Z. Take Changing Lanes. It needed a better plot. It needed a better director. It needed to not have Ben Affleck.

Right. In the case of Prometheus, I think it just needed X, where X is that it makes any sort of fucking sense.

Oh oh! Vernor Vinge was really awesome. We had a nice long discussion after his panel about why we'll never see a sequel to a Deepness in the Sky, which made a lot of sense but still kind of makes me sad.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Kakos, I think that Prometheus did a good job of satisfying my Alien fanboy desires. It's real problem was the elements it tried to introduce to make it a self-reliant movie, and it just ended up being a cliche clusterfuck.

And, again, pretty racist.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Podly wrote: »
    Kakos, I think that Prometheus did a good job of satisfying my Alien fanboy desires. It's real problem was the elements it tried to introduce to make it a self-reliant movie, and it just ended up being a cliche clusterfuck.

Racist? I haven't heard that one yet. Do tell.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    The problem with Prometheus is that I'm not seeing it until Sunday afternoon, but everywhere I go people are spraying me with their Prometheus opinions.

And they're all total fucking downers too. I was incredibly excited to see it but now my interest is waning. Based on aggregate reviews, I think if I had gone in with no preconceptions, I would have enjoyed it. But now it's like someone has farted in my dinner. Spray fart.

I'll try to forget about that tomorrow, before I see it, and then sneak to watch that movie with Twilight girl.

Every movie might have been a good movie if x. There is absolutely no movie where there does not exist some situation x that would have made it a good movie.

Some movies require more then a simple X. Some may require X,Y and Z. Take Changing Lanes. It needed a better plot. It needed a better director. It needed to not have Ben Affleck.

Right. In the case of Prometheus, I think it just needed X, where X is that it makes any sort of fucking sense.
    spoiler for prometheus
    I was super peeved when Shaw started crying about not being able to reproduce. I'm sorry, you're on a space ship and discovered ANCIENT ALIENS. Reproducing is totally not your first priority right now. Also, we have this thing called adoption and honestly it is the future, there is probably a way for you to have a baby.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    hey tom if you're up for it you should get on vent

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    The only author I've ever met was John Waters (okay, not quite an author, but close enough). He was a nice enough guy, he teased a lot of the people in line. My (then) girlfriend got him to sign the panties she was wearing.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    And Jacob, thank you for the teleporters. The Arc loves to send me to Crey's Folly for some reason.

Shaw's character kind of destroyed the awesome feminist Ripley of the first two movies.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    If someone tells me a movie I'm excited to see is crap, I thank them and invest my money else where.

A movie isn't going to improve or suffer because someone told you their opinion.

totally, utterly disagree. your predisposition towards any experience - food, movies, books, even meeting someone new - is enormously influenced by the opinions of others, and that predisposition in turn shapes your response

someone telling you that a movie is bad and full of plot holes is going to make you worry about that, or at least consider it, and you'll be more aware of possible issues and looking for plot hole as you watch; you might get hung up on things that otherwise wouldn't bother you.

I agree you might enjoy the movie more overall and/or take longer to realize it isn't living up to the hype if no one gives you a heads up. But I don't see how warning someone they are about to waste their time and money is a negative since it's not like their input is going to change the actual film/the viewers bottom line experience.

Caveman Paws on

spoiler for prometheus
    I was super peeved when Shaw started crying about not being able to reproduce. I'm sorry, you're on a space ship and discovered ANCIENT ALIENS. Reproducing is totally not your first priority right now. Also, we have this thing called adoption and honestly it is the future, there is probably a way for you to have a baby.
    There were a lot of odd character behaviors like all the scientists behaving in quite possibly the most unscientific manner ever. However, I think the thing that pissed me off the most is that the central premise doesn't really make sense. The Engineers created life on Earth and then kept coming back through various points in human civilization, giving us this pattern of stars. Note that this was before they were apparently decided to try to destroy us. WHY WERE THEY POINTING US TO A REMOTE MILITARY PLANET WHERE THEY DEVELOP WMDS?

Shaw's character kind of destroyed the awesome feminist Ripley of the first two movies.

Female isn't a race.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    It was hot, the night we burned Chrome. Out in the malls and plazas, moths were batting themselves to death against the neon, but in Bobby’s loft the only light came from a monitor screen and the green and red LEDs on the face of the matrix simulator. I knew every chip in Bobby’s simulator by heart; it looked like your workaday Ono-Sendai VII. the “Cyberspace Seven,” but I’d rebuilt it so many times that you’d have had a hard time finding a square millimeter of factory circuitry in all that silicon.

We waited side by side in front of the simulator console, watching the time display in the screen’s lower left corner.

“Go for it,” I said, when it was time, but Bobby was already there, leaning forward to drive the Russian program into its slot with the heel of his hand. He did it with the tight grace of a kid slamming change into an arcade game, sure of winning and ready to pull down a string of free games.

A silver tide of phosphenes boiled across my field of vision as the matrix began to unfold in my head, a 3-D chessboard, infinite and perfectly transparent. The Russian program seemed to lurch as we entered the grid.

If anyone else had been jacked into that part of the matrix, he might have seen a surf of flickering shadow roll out of the little yellow pyramid that represented our computer. The program was a mimetic weapon, designed to absorb local color and present itself as a crash-priority override in whatever context it encountered.

“Congratulations,” I heard Bobby say. “We just became an Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority inspection probe…” That meant we were clearing fiberoptic lines with the cybernetic equivalent of a fire siren, but in the simulation matrix we seemed to rush straight for Chrome’s data base. I couldn’t see it yet, but I already knew those walls were waiting. Walls of shadow, walls of ice.

I love it

I love the visuals. I love the no-fucking-around 60mph burnout from the first word. I love the hurried immediacy of the flow, the way the words seem to be spilling out of the narrator's mouth in his rush to describe the barely-describable.

rRwz9.gif

spoiler for prometheus
    There were a lot of odd character behaviors like all the scientists behaving in quite possibly the most unscientific manner ever. However, I think the thing that pissed me off the most is that the central premise doesn't really make sense. The Engineers created life on Earth and then kept coming back through various points in human civilization, giving us this pattern of stars. Note that this was before they were apparently decided to try to destroy us. WHY WERE THEY POINTING US TO A REMOTE MILITARY PLANET WHERE THEY DEVELOP WMDS?
    Apparently there is a Reddit thread that explains all the stuff and actually the movie was really deep. We are plebes for not seeing the real story behind the story.

spoiler for prometheus
    Apparently there is a Reddit thread that explains all the stuff and actually the movie was really deep. We are plebes for not seeing the real story behind the story.

I read that thread and it didn't explain my problem.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

spoiler for prometheus

Jar Jar was pretty cool guys.

I'm in full on "post shit for shitty postings sake" mode tonight. I am literally a cliche of a douche pulling out nostril hairs while whining about movies on the internet.

Ew, that was a long one.

Caveman Paws on

OK, so I didn't notice it until the scene when Idris Elba's character is confronting Shaw about not wanting to seek the truth. I hadn't even noticed that he was the only black character in the movie (you'd think we would have maybe had one more in the 30 years it's been since Alien. Nope! Still one black guy. And an asian. Hardly progress) But unlike Alien, where you basically have a group of the working class, Prometheus is HEAVILY reliant on class narrative. So you have a bunch of PROFOUNDLY rich and/or educated white people seeking THE TRUTH AND THE MEANING OF LIFE, and you have one of these rich, privileged white people ask the only black character "Don't you want to find out the meaning of life?" And the black character, who is clearly extremely smart because he can navigate a fucking space mechaship! say "I just want to get back to my home safe and sound!" It is a terrible example of knowledge being within the domain of the ruling class -- a privilege of the privilege, and only they are the ones who care about the discourse -- and a black man outside that power structure just wan'n ta get back home, massa'. (Intentionally stretching the point here.) Add this to the fact that, and while I don't think this is racist, it really doesn't help the argument -- that the classic monsters in the film are hulking black monsters named fucking XENOMORPHS, and I really was very uncomfortable from that moment on.

So it's not racist in the "BLACK PEOPLE SUCK" mode, but it propagates a very deep racial and classist problem.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1

Female isn't a race.
    Sorry, that was a misplaced quote. I know that. :P

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ5ZclZTeTU

this is a good cover of creep

that arrangement is very obnoxious and pointless

someone's in a mood

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

Female isn't a race.

alien

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!

spoiler for prometheus

No matter how shitty and full of plot holes a story is, there will always be fans who think of some convoluted theory to explain it, convinced they've discovered the "true" meaning of the work.

I'm looking at you, "Squall fell into a coma after disk 1, it was all a dream" theorists.

someone's in a mood

yeah

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I am watching Sunshine again and I am remembering why everyone forgives it. It's so so good in the beginning. The sun observation room.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.

someone's in a mood
    it was pointless because it was raaaaadiohead
    I know I know my hatred of them is totally based on some weird nebulous thing. I just couldn't help myself. I also like Amanda Palmer's version of Creep.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    at least the Avengers was totally great and lived up to expectations!

that baby in that gif who gets excited was basically me tonight as i watched the avengers

you know what I really loved about the avengers was how not mean it was

that old man in the crowd standing up to loki early on

normally he would be offered up as a human sacrifice to the gods of narrative stakes-raising

but he got saved! he got saved by captain america!

it felt weirdly generous to me. like the movie wasn't afraid to be honest about being a fantasy of a just world.

rRwz9.gif
    It was hot, the night we burned Chrome. Out in the malls and plazas, moths were batting themselves to death against the neon, but in Bobby’s loft the only light came from a monitor screen and the green and red LEDs on the face of the matrix simulator. I knew every chip in Bobby’s simulator by heart; it looked like your workaday Ono-Sendai VII. the “Cyberspace Seven,” but I’d rebuilt it so many times that you’d have had a hard time finding a square millimeter of factory circuitry in all that silicon.

We waited side by side in front of the simulator console, watching the time display in the screen’s lower left corner.

“Go for it,” I said, when it was time, but Bobby was already there, leaning forward to drive the Russian program into its slot with the heel of his hand. He did it with the tight grace of a kid slamming change into an arcade game, sure of winning and ready to pull down a string of free games.

A silver tide of phosphenes boiled across my field of vision as the matrix began to unfold in my head, a 3-D chessboard, infinite and perfectly transparent. The Russian program seemed to lurch as we entered the grid.

If anyone else had been jacked into that part of the matrix, he might have seen a surf of flickering shadow roll out of the little yellow pyramid that represented our computer. The program was a mimetic weapon, designed to absorb local color and present itself as a crash-priority override in whatever context it encountered.

“Congratulations,” I heard Bobby say. “We just became an Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority inspection probe…” That meant we were clearing fiberoptic lines with the cybernetic equivalent of a fire siren, but in the simulation matrix we seemed to rush straight for Chrome’s data base. I couldn’t see it yet, but I already knew those walls were waiting. Walls of shadow, walls of ice.

I love it

I love the visuals. I love the no-fucking-around 60mph burnout from the first word. I love the hurried immediacy of the flow, the way the words seem to be spilling out of the narrator's mouth in his rush to describe the barely-describable.

Weird. I read that and I want to strangle the narrator. The visuals are superfluous, seemingly added to sound more poetic than it really is. The words are largely meaningless and what meaning is there is pretty vacuous. It's an exercise in how to write without actually writing anything at all. But to each their own!

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

that baby in that gif who gets excited was basically me tonight as i watched the avengers

normally he would be offered up as a human sacrifice to the gods of narrative stakes-raising

it felt weirdly generous to me. like the movie wasn't afraid to be honest about being a fantasy of a just world.

In a just world I'd be fucking Scarlett.

someone's in a mood
    it was pointless because it was raaaaadiohead
    I know I know my hatred of them is totally based on some weird nebulous thing. I just couldn't help myself. I also like Amanda Palmer's version of Creep.

I don't know how other people feel about it, but my enjoyment of Radiohead is directly proportional to how much weed is in my system.

Co

To show off Loki's power. But instead they used it to showcase Cap being awesome. One of the biggest things the Avenger's did is that it doesn't focus on the internal conflict to the point of excluding the external conflict. There seems to be a thing in superhero movies where scripts focus on the internal conflict so heavily as if the screenwriter is trying to say "See! I can write real scripts too!" to the point where the fantasy elements are lost. See: Green Lantern.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

the hulk was the best thing about that movie

tyrannus on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i loved pretty much everything in the avengers

i loved how captain america's stunts seemed really old-timey. like it seemed like his rolls and jumps were choreographed to be out of an old film while everyone else is flying around and being ninjas. i didn't notice it until the second time around, but it was awesome

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    sup baby pas and baby paettes

Finally. Someone who understands my plight.

I should be seeing Perc DJing right now, dancing with a fine honey, dressed in all black, underground, with a shitty fog machine and one green laser off a disco ball.

BUT FUCKING WORK GOT SOME REAL WORLD SHIT ON ME

the idea of justice is a pipe dream

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I am full of rye and beef and things

It is a good state to find yourself in

edited June 2012

I love it

Weird. I read that and I want to strangle the narrator. The visuals are superfluous, seemingly added to sound more poetic than it really is. The words are largely meaningless and what meaning is there is pretty vacuous. It's an exercise in how to write without actually writing anything at all. But to each their own!

he's not trying to fool you, dude. he's not playing a mean trick on you. and meaningless? I'm sorry but that literally makes no sense. it's not being obscure about anything! he is saying exactly what is going on.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    Speaking of The Avengers, I might be watching it with a cute girl this weekend! The world is just.

This discussion has been closed.