As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mr. Rogers' Neighbor[chat]

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    podly what exactly happened

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I am full of rye and beef and things

It is a good state to find yourself in

tumblr_m48hh7bozf1r5y8t0o1_500.gif

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    podly what exactly happened

Ok, so one of my favorite peeps is DJing this weekend, and this girl was amped to have me there. I didn't have to be into work until 11 tomorrow, and was getting off pretty early. It was gonna be awesome! But then within a one hour time span, my roommate asked me to loan her some money -- for personal stuff I don't want to divulge on the interbuttz -- AND my boss basically told me I have to be to work at 8am tomorrow to set up a brunch party I wasn't told about until now. So I had neither the money to ball out nor the sleep to on just hanging out late, so I had to blow off something I was looking forward to for more than a week.

And then there were just a couple other things like my basketball team losing a heartbreaker which will probably break up the team and missing out on this synth I was really hoping to get, and it just put me in the sourest of moods.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    That Clint gif needs some musical accompaniment.

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Good morning [chat].

• Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Podly wrote: »
    Kakos, I think that Prometheus did a good job of satisfying my Alien fanboy desires. It's real problem was the elements it tried to introduce to make it a self-reliant movie, and it just ended up being a cliche clusterfuck.

And, again, pretty racist.

Racist? I haven't heard that one yet. Do tell.
    OK, so I didn't notice it until the scene when Idris Elba's character is confronting Shaw about not wanting to seek the truth. I hadn't even noticed that he was the only black character in the movie (you'd think we would have maybe had one more in the 30 years it's been since Alien. Nope! Still one black guy. And an asian. Hardly progress) But unlike Alien, where you basically have a group of the working class, Prometheus is HEAVILY reliant on class narrative. So you have a bunch of PROFOUNDLY rich and/or educated white people seeking THE TRUTH AND THE MEANING OF LIFE, and you have one of these rich, privileged white people ask the only black character "Don't you want to find out the meaning of life?" And the black character, who is clearly extremely smart because he can navigate a fucking space mechaship! say "I just want to get back to my home safe and sound!" It is a terrible example of knowledge being within the domain of the ruling class -- a privilege of the privilege, and only they are the ones who care about the discourse -- and a black man outside that power structure just wan'n ta get back home, massa'. (Intentionally stretching the point here.) Add this to the fact that, and while I don't think this is racist, it really doesn't help the argument -- that the classic monsters in the film are hulking black monsters named fucking XENOMORPHS, and I really was very uncomfortable from that moment on.

So it's not racist in the "BLACK PEOPLE SUCK" mode, but it propagates a very deep racial and classist problem.
    So, I almost have the exact opposite opinion. In my mind, Idris Elba's character was the only good character in the movie. The Alien series (including Prometheus) is, in my mind, a series fundamentally about the consequences of hubris, how you get fucked over by over-reaching beyond your nature. David wanted to be more than just a robot, Shaw and Holloway wanted answers from their maker, Weyland wanted to live past death, Vickers wanted to be in control, the Engineers thought they could casually create life without consequence. In the end, they all got bit in the ass for their hubris. Janek was the only character who was really grounded and was comfortable with his place in the universe as a mortal being who lives, makes the best of his life, and eventually dies.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    sorry dude, that sucks.

That Clint gif needs some musical accompaniment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFa1-kciCb4&feature=related

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    We could use some Morricone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0wPBYDQ6Y

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    (sigh)

I just give up.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    *Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod*

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    podly is advancing the art of communicating solely via gif

rRwz9.gif
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I see what you did there.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    at least the Avengers was totally great and lived up to expectations!

that baby in that gif who gets excited was basically me tonight as i watched the avengers

you know what I really loved about the avengers was how not mean it was

that old man in the crowd standing up to loki early on

normally he would be offered up as a human sacrifice to the gods of narrative stakes-raising

but he got saved! he got saved by captain america!

it felt weirdly generous to me. like the movie wasn't afraid to be honest about being a fantasy of a just world.

the hulk was the best thing about that movie

Truth

(sigh)

I just give up.

I assume this has to do with breaking your masturbation record. Lube or no lube? Timed?

This is a sacred place, you can share anything here. :)

Thomamelas wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0wPBYDQ6Y

I can't watch that clip without imagining Adam Jensen throwing vending machines at guards.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    So I just found out that not only is the awesome 2D physics system that they used in Crayon Physics (Box2D) completely free and open source, it has also been ported to actionscript 3 for use in Flash.

Gonna make me a physics-based flash platformer

Winky, it's really really hard. You have to understand that for it to work, all your character movement has to be physics engine based and it's a goddamned nightmare to do and animate and get stable and not infuriating. I tried and gave up.

This is bad news but I suspected it might be more difficult than it seemed.

I was hoping that character animation wouldn't be too much of a problem if I just basically stuck my character in a box and moved the box around.

You have to decide if the box can tip over of not. If not, that constraint is gonna look off and produce big time physics glitches. If you decide it can, then you and going to drive the player insane as they jump, nick a ledge and go tumbling end over end.

You have to decide if you are going to allow air control during jumps. If you don't, your game will play like a pile of bricks. If you do, you now have the player allowed to apply sideways forces in the air, which leads to all manner of things like sticking to walls with friction produced by the air control force. Great if you want that mechanic, a pain in the ass if you don't.

What about when your player jumps up and bumps their head? Most platformers have a kind of sliding thing that keeps action moving. Your game will grind to a halt.

DK, what if you make the player super bottom-heavy, with a really low center of gravity?

Kakos, I think that Prometheus did a good job of satisfying my Alien fanboy desires. It's real problem was the elements it tried to introduce to make it a self-reliant movie, and it just ended up being a cliche clusterfuck.

OK, so I didn't notice it until the scene when Idris Elba's character is confronting Shaw about not wanting to seek the truth. I hadn't even noticed that he was the only black character in the movie (you'd think we would have maybe had one more in the 30 years it's been since Alien. Nope! Still one black guy. And an asian. Hardly progress) But unlike Alien, where you basically have a group of the working class, Prometheus is HEAVILY reliant on class narrative. So you have a bunch of PROFOUNDLY rich and/or educated white people seeking THE TRUTH AND THE MEANING OF LIFE, and you have one of these rich, privileged white people ask the only black character "Don't you want to find out the meaning of life?" And the black character, who is clearly extremely smart because he can navigate a fucking space mechaship! say "I just want to get back to my home safe and sound!" It is a terrible example of knowledge being within the domain of the ruling class -- a privilege of the privilege, and only they are the ones who care about the discourse -- and a black man outside that power structure just wan'n ta get back home, massa'. (Intentionally stretching the point here.) Add this to the fact that, and while I don't think this is racist, it really doesn't help the argument -- that the classic monsters in the film are hulking black monsters named fucking XENOMORPHS, and I really was very uncomfortable from that moment on.

So it's not racist in the "BLACK PEOPLE SUCK" mode, but it propagates a very deep racial and classist problem.
    So, I almost have the exact opposite opinion. In my mind, Idris Elba's character was the only good character in the movie. The Alien series (including Prometheus) is, in my mind, a series fundamentally about the consequences of hubris, how you get fucked over by over-reaching beyond your nature. David wanted to be more than just a robot, Shaw and Holloway wanted answers from their maker, Weyland wanted to live past death, Vickers wanted to be in control, the Engineers thought they could casually create life without consequence. In the end, they all got bit in the ass for their hubris. Janek was the only character who was really grounded and was comfortable with his place in the universe as a mortal being who lives, makes the best of his life, and eventually dies.

Oh no, he's an awesome character, and a respectable one, and you are right about the Greek overtones of the series. However, I don't think that negates the fact that we have all these privileged people who are striving for the truth. I think it is a quite deep racial element that Scott probably didn't even think about.

Also, I think that David was actually an awesome character. In a way, he's the anti-Roy Batty
    While Roy realizes that the point of even being conscious is not emotional or rational but existential -- to confront ones nothingness-as-existence by potentializing all the possibility that a thinking being could ever have: indeed, he is almost more able to realize this by being a robot, since he does not cling to any human arch-narratives and can truly embrace existing -- David is the perfectly rational being who sees any sort of non-rational computation as a deviation from the pinnacle that is rational thought. That's why he has no problem harming the humans: they have too many silly ulterior motives that are getting in the way of achieving the most important goals.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    at least the Avengers was totally great and lived up to expectations!

that baby in that gif who gets excited was basically me tonight as i watched the avengers

you know what I really loved about the avengers was how not mean it was

that old man in the crowd standing up to loki early on

normally he would be offered up as a human sacrifice to the gods of narrative stakes-raising

but he got saved! he got saved by captain america!

it felt weirdly generous to me. like the movie wasn't afraid to be honest about being a fantasy of a just world.

the hulk was the best thing about that movie

Truth

that scene was so good. the whole theatre erupted into laughter.
    i love that they decided to just have the hulk beat the shit out of him instead of doing a big dramatic team vs temporarily-buffed-up villain fight (which would have been cool too)

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    don't you loan anyone money

don't you do it

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    8xW62.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Zodiac is Neal Stephenson's best book.

Followed by, in my opinion, his newest book Reamde.

Both of which have very very little in the way of sci-fi elements.

I don't care that we're not talking about this anymore.

vRyue2p.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

he also gets to pull a pretty heroic move.

I see both sides... might lean more towards podly's if only because sci fucking movies are STILL hitting the one black guy one asian one tough chick standards very clearly

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular

Those are the two of his works that I havent read yet and will get to following my finishing of Anathem.

The Baroque Cycle books werent really sci-fi either.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    So I just found out that not only is the awesome 2D physics system that they used in Crayon Physics (Box2D) completely free and open source, it has also been ported to actionscript 3 for use in Flash.

Gonna make me a physics-based flash platformer

Winky, it's really really hard. You have to understand that for it to work, all your character movement has to be physics engine based and it's a goddamned nightmare to do and animate and get stable and not infuriating. I tried and gave up.

This is bad news but I suspected it might be more difficult than it seemed.

I was hoping that character animation wouldn't be too much of a problem if I just basically stuck my character in a box and moved the box around.

You have to decide if the box can tip over of not. If not, that constraint is gonna look off and produce big time physics glitches. If you decide it can, then you and going to drive the player insane as they jump, nick a ledge and go tumbling end over end.

You have to decide if you are going to allow air control during jumps. If you don't, your game will play like a pile of bricks. If you do, you now have the player allowed to apply sideways forces in the air, which leads to all manner of things like sticking to walls with friction produced by the air control force. Great if you want that mechanic, a pain in the ass if you don't.

What about when your player jumps up and bumps their head? Most platformers have a kind of sliding thing that keeps action moving. Your game will grind to a halt.

DK, what if you make the player super bottom-heavy, with a really low center of gravity?

It's a trick that works in car racing games where the whole car is a lot shorter than it is long or wide, but with an upright platforming character, it's kind of like this:

clown_punching_bag.jpg

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.

Those are the two of his works that I havent read yet and will get to following my finishing of Anathem.

Did you enjoy The Baroque Cycle books? That was the one I thought I might try first.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

I've tried twice to get through Quicksilver, and failed both times. Same with Anathem. I think they just move too slowly for me or something.

I think, though, he does his best work when he's writing about something modern. He gets to use all sorts of great turns of phrases that he definitely can't use in a setting like the colonial era or...whatever the fuck was going on in Anathem.

vRyue2p.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Did you try making the character in your physics based game a point mass?

Variable wrote: »

he also gets to pull a pretty heroic move.

I see both sides... might lean more towards podly's if only because sci fucking movies are STILL hitting the one black guy one asian one tough chick standards very clearly

Like I said, He's a respectable character and possibly the one you like most in the film. This does not discredit the fact that it is propagating major institutional problems at the same time.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1

Did you enjoy The Baroque Cycle books? That was the one I thought I might try first.

I would highly highly recommend Zodiac as an introductory book to Neal Stephenson. It gives you a familiarity with his writing in a comfortable setting (modern day America) and it's not ridiculously long.

Don't get turned off by the subject matter (the main character is a low-grade eco-terrorist of sorts) because he makes it awesome.

vRyue2p.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    So far just turning off rotation for the character hasn't caused any problems for me while I've just been playing around, but I'll see how it turns out.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'll never understand Avengers love. It was alright. Really alright. So OK. Spectacularly decent.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited June 2012

I did. It took me the longest to get into it though. It wasnt until probably a third or more through the first book where it finally came together for me. It does move very slow and is pretty disjointed.

I picked up Anathem pretty quick. As soon as I got used to the new set of jargon, which he really lays on thick at the beginning and actually moves away from significantly as it progresses. Either that or I'm really, really used to it. It takes place in what you would call modern times. Its just not apparent from the confines of the convent that they've holed themselves up in.

Dr Mario Kart on
    edited June 2012

I would highly highly recommend Zodiac as an introductory book to Neal Stephenson. It gives you a familiarity with his writing in a comfortable setting (modern day America) and it's not ridiculously long.

Don't get turned off by the subject matter (the main character is a low-grade eco-terrorist of sorts) because he makes it awesome.

Understood. :)

Thanks Mario Kart.

Caveman Paws on
    I'm not entirely sure which one to recommend first, so I will cede that his first and then moving in something resembling chronological order is probably best.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    (sigh)

I just give up.

I assume this has to do with breaking your masturbation record. Lube or no lube? Timed?

I'm just tired of the struggles and everything with dating. I just fail at it.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2012
    (sigh)

I just give up.

I'm just tired of the struggles and everything with dating. I just fail at it.

It will work when it works. Patience, take a break, come back to it, rinse/repeat. It's the same for everyone.

SC2 why you on so late!? I'm going to bed. Just as the finals are starting... ugh.

Caveman Paws on
    I'd forgotten about my secret mescal stash! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

But getting more "wish you were here" texts from this dame is BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    I'd forgotten about my secret mescal stash! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

But getting more "wish you were here" texts from this dame is BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Tell her to come over afterwards.

This discussion has been closed.