As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mr. Rogers' Neighbor[chat]

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about my secret mescal stash! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

But getting more "wish you were here" texts from this dame is BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Tell her to come over afterwards.

it would just be too sloppy and prolonged and fuck up my day tomorrow

unfortunately, as much as I love making the fun bad decisions I tell you all about, this is a scenario when I have to bite the bullet

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I'll never understand Avengers love. It was alright. Really alright. So OK. Spectacularly decent.
    It came after Thor and Captain America. People had lost faith in the idea of a good super hero film.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but thinking back I can see how it doesn't hang together too well as a complete piece and was just a vehicle for entertaining little scenes. I am okay with this though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    also, watching the tim and eric movie

fucking brilliant

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    1am.

Caveman, you blowhard!

>.< Goodnight[chat].

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    what a fun night. i just came home to a message from a poet at the writers workshop who according to her profile writes poems based on survival horror games and reads redwall books when sad for the scenes of mice feasting.

i want to go to there.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    For some reason I ended up watching Rocky last night. Apparently I'd only seen the sequels.

It was very different to what I expected. A mentally ill failed boxer trying to cope with life in what seemed to be a post apocalyptic wasteland (but which I'm told is just Philadelphia).

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Her last message was just "EULALALIAAAAAA"

I'm going to try to temper my expectations and not get excited.

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    For some reason I ended up watching Rocky last night. Apparently I'd only seen the sequels.

It was very different to what I expected. A mentally ill failed boxer trying to cope with life in what seemed to be a post apocalyptic wasteland (but which I'm told is just Philadelphia).

rocky is a legitimately good film

the rest are fun films, but very macho campy

that being said, rocky iv is my go to stupid but awesome movie, and still one of my faves

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Heh that Clang Kickstarter video is funny, Gabe cameo was great.

But the concept is flawed

bloodyroarxx on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

I like that about a lot of US films from the late 70s or 80s, the gritty portrayal of inner city decline

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    [chat] morning good!
    Her last message was just "EULALALIAAAAAA"

I'm going to try to temper my expectations and not get excited.

end user license agreement laliaaaa?

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

I like that about a lot of US films from the late 70s or 80s, the gritty portrayal of inner city decline

It's kind of depressing to see how shitty east coast cities were in the late 70s - early 80s. NYC, DC, Philly, Boston ... all were just awful, awful places

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Eddy wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »

It's kind of depressing to see how shitty east coast cities were in the late 70s - early 80s. NYC, DC, Philly, Boston ... all were just awful, awful places

Yeah, but that was sort of the world then, in many places, as opposed to the clean, modernised cities we live in now (well, I'm talking about London and various NZ cities, not the US).

Hell, my home town didn't really start to look good again till the mid-late 1990s

It's such a sign of the times too: Neo-liberals cut spending and the first victim was a pleasant environment to live in.

Aldo wrote: »
    It's such a sign of the times too: Neo-liberals cut spending and the first victim was a pleasant environment to live in.

Hmm, well that is part of it, but in NZ's case, 1970 onwards was sort of tough times, although that got a lot worse once the neo liberal reforms kicked in.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Thor got added to Netflix. Who's not thrilled?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    in america it was less about political spending cuts and more about demographic shifts - out of the cities and into the suburbs, and out of the northeast and into the south and southwest - at the same time as heroin was eating giant holes through the heart of every city in the country

it is hard to overstate exactly how devastating heroin was when it hit big

rRwz9.gif
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    in america it was less about political spending cuts and more about demographic shifts - out of the cities and into the suburbs, and out of the northeast and into the south and southwest - at the same time as heroin was eating giant holes through the heart of every city in the country

And now all the rural areas are getting beat ugly with the meth stick.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I'd forgotten about my secret mescal stash! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

But getting more "wish you were here" texts from this dame is BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Tell her to come over afterwards.

it would just be too sloppy and prolonged and fuck up my day tomorrow

unfortunately, as much as I love making the fun bad decisions I tell you all about, this is a scenario when I have to bite the bullet

You know, I'd like to have a healthy attitude towards intimacy. I'm getting a bit tired of the self-loathing for even wanting to be touched.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

That's part of it, but exactly how much did the government put into keeping city centres attractive and safe? No one ever stopped the formation of the worst sin of the Americans: shopping malls outside city centres.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i bit podlys nipple

obF2Wuw.png
    yep

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    2eOLJ.gif

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

That's part of it, but exactly how much did the government put into keeping city centres attractive and safe? No one ever stopped the formation of the worst sin of the Americans: shopping malls outside city centres.

actually the government tried a lot in the mid-late 1960s - there were a lot of "War on Poverty" programs from the Johnson administration that kept trucking well through the next decade. there were big pushes for school busing and urban housing and so forth. but it's hard to overcome the reality of several major urban centers having their tax bases dry up and blow away.

rRwz9.gif
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    relevant puppies
    dRVSI.jpg

obF2Wuw.png

actually the government tried a lot in the mid-late 1960s - there were a lot of "War on Poverty" programs from the Johnson administration that kept trucking well through the next decade. there were big pushes for school busing and urban housing and so forth. but it's hard to overcome the reality of several major urban centers having their tax bases dry up and blow away.

well, being from boston, when I hear school bussing I just see this

tumblr_l2p88deeZy1qznj5do1_500.jpg

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    I suspect that having a narrower range of responsibilities helps too, so for example, education and policing are nationally administered and funded in NZ. So if a local authority is doing poorly, policing and education will still be funded properly, assuming no general crisis

so how do you all feel about being da best

obF2Wuw.png

Dear sir,

Super!

Regards

But that's exactly the thing, America is set up in such a ridiculous way that a major urban centre *can* have it's tax base dry up. (see also: public schools). That's just physically impossible here in Holland, the rich people in downtown Amsterdam pay taxes to build schools in the shittiest parts of the city. Most of our taxes go to the national level, where a large part of it is distributed back to municipalities. So my suburban ass is indirectly paying for extra cops in Amsterdam and farm subsidies in Noord-Oost Groningen*.

For the record: we also had shite city centres for ages**, because the government favoured other projects over improving the living conditions in city centres. There's tons of different factors at play, but in large parts of the Western world we fucked up our urban areas. Holland is not very neo-liberal, but it's stuff like this that shows that we too thought Reagan and Tatcher were right.

*kIrOL.jpg

** 2mcj5gm.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reOO1cMTkSg

rRwz9.gif
    edited June 2012

well, being from boston, when I hear school bussing I just see this

tumblr_l2p88deeZy1qznj5do1_500.jpg

holy fuck, that's fantastic in it's fucked-upness

*e: "For three years after the plan commenced, Massachusetts state troopers were stationed at South Boston High." Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. O_O

Aldo on
    @skippydumptruck

Look at this awful graffiti in your shit city. I bet you feel awful about it. I bet you're regretting your tattoos due to it.

5382082806_afbc5bb456.jpg

"The youths dragged him out and crushed his skull with nearby paving stones. When police arrived, the man was surrounded by a crowd of 100 chanting "Let him die" while lying in a coma from which he never recovered."

Murrica be fucked up.

But that's exactly the thing, America is set up in such a ridiculous way that a major urban centre *can* have it's tax base dry up.

that's a lot different from saying "no one did anything to stop it." stopping it was never a realistic possibility regardless of what anyone wanted.

rRwz9.gif
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It is surprisingly sunny today.

The murder of James Byrd Jr is heartbreakingly awful. Claudia Rankine's poem and musings about it are incredible.

edited June 2012

But that's exactly the thing, America is set up in such a ridiculous way that a major urban centre *can* have it's tax base dry up.

that's a lot different from saying "no one did anything to stop it." stopping it was never a realistic possibility regardless of what anyone wanted.
    Step one would have been to centralise taxes to such a degree that it would have been possible to do anything, but that was somehow never an option for anyone. Actually, I'm not sure what the story behind this is... I know most of this is managed on the state-level, so there's probably gigantic differences between states. I always get the impression that the Americans hate paying taxes, but has that resulted in people paying most of their taxes to a local government, as to give them the idea that their tax dollars are put to good for use for them personally?

Aldo on
    Hmm, I'm using both American English and British English words in the same sentences, this is annoying.

Hmm, I'm using both American English and British English words in the same sentences, this is annoying.

Native speakers do it too!

This discussion has been closed.