As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disgaea 4 (and Asagi) hit common sense with massive damage [US Summer 2011!]

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Its been so long but I think you need to go into the item world and beat up some pirates to unlock the ability to vote on becoming pirates, or something like that

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I've been reading through some LPs for Disgaea recently, and its given me the urge to get into this series that I never hit upon before. Likely I won't dive into the PS2 Disgaeas because that would be far too much backloggery for me. So I think I'll start with Disgaea 3.

So first question...Disgaea 3 for the PS3 or the PsVita? Or does it really matter in the slightest?
    Second question...should I just skip Disgaea 3 and start with Disgaea 4?

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    You can start anywhere, really. D3 for PS3 might be a little hard to find now, but D4 should be fine.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Been playing the PSP Disgaea and I want to fucking murder whoever thought it would be a good idea to only give killing blows xp.

What a goddamn terrible design decision.

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    Without a doubt, the Vita version. You get all the DLC and new content, and you won't need to hog the TV during the thousands of hours it takes to finish a Disgaea game.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Been playing the PSP Disgaea and I want to fucking murder whoever thought it would be a good idea to only give killing blows xp.

What a goddamn terrible design decision.

Use Team-ups to get low-leveled charactes a boost. And may as well stat with D4, but D3 may feel underwhelming afterward.

wVEsyIc.png
  • KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    Without a doubt, the Vita version. You get all the DLC and new content, and you won't need to hog the TV during the thousands of hours it takes to finish a Disgaea game.

I'm going to second this. It's so much easier to find the time to play the game when you can play it on a portable system. Plus some of the DLC is pretty fun and it's all included in the Vita version.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
    Kirbith wrote: »

I'm going to second this. It's so much easier to find the time to play the game when you can play it on a portable system. Plus some of the DLC is pretty fun and it's all included in the Vita version.

Alrighty. Thank you both!

No problem. I also recommend the Japanese version, but that's just me. :P

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Incidentally, uh, is D4 cheaper yet? :P I'm terrible, I know.
    I really wanted the bonus artbook/OST, too, but it wasn't financially viable at the time.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    No problem. I also recommend the Japanese version, but that's just me. :P

Is it about the voicing? Because You can change the voice acting to Japanese in the game settings of nearly every NIS game(developed and published) as far back as 2003. With exception to DS releases(i.e. Disgaea DS had most of its voice acting gutted entirely).

In fact, the real challenge is finding an NIS game that didn't have that option.

Donnicton on
    Actually, I do it for full immersion in Japanese (and Disgaea is especially great because of all the cool puns and wordplay they use). I've learned a lot from games, believe it or not.

I'm curious about the games that have Japanese vocal support, though. I've been compiling a list of games that have Japanese in them, be it voice acting or full support, for people who can't or don't import. Any games that you yourself have played and can confirm personally would really help. Thanks!

Actually, I do it for full immersion in Japanese (and Disgaea is especially great because of all the cool puns and wordplay they use). I've learned a lot from games, believe it or not.

I'm curious about the games that have Japanese vocal support, though. I've been compiling a list of games that have Japanese in them, be it voice acting or full support, for people who can't or don't import. Any games that you yourself have played and can confirm personally would really help. Thanks!

As I mentioned before, nearly any game that was developed or published by NIS that has voice acting, has dual audio. Again, with exception to the few DS titles they released.

But as for what I've directly played myself(note: some may not be NIS)..

PS2
    Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
    La Pucelle Tactics
    Ar Tonelico
    Ar Tonelico 2
    Atelier Iris
    Atelier Iris 2
    Atelier Iris 3
    Odin Sphere

PSP
    Disgaea
    Disgaea 2
    Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle
    Yggdra Union
    Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman
    Riviera: The Promised Land
    Mana Khemia

Vita
    Disgaea 3

PS3
    Atelier Totori
    Atelier Meruru
    Disgaea 4

Those are what I have immediately off the top of my head. You may want to have a quick glance over this old thread as well. http://forums.animesuki.com/archive/index.php/t-92339.html

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think the first Disgaea had a bit of an audio kerfuffle. You could pick your audio for story dialog, but it didn't actually do anything for the in-battle quips. Though the game was also an odd duck in that area too, because some characters were dubbed (like the main characters) and others weren't (the magicians and archers grunts were all the original japanese).

Either way though, it's nice they have the option, but the dubs in nearly all of NIS's games have always been pretty top quality.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    I actually prefer much of the english voice acting in some of the later Disgaea games, especially Disgaea 3. Really enjoyed the work by Mao's VA.

• hadokenhadoken Registered User regular

The street fighter 4 series, and i think most of Capcom's fighting games have japanese voice acting.

I was going to wait until I mastered japanese to play Disgaea 4, but I just bought it as a little reward for after exam period. Can't wait.

edited June 2012
    I'm patiently waiting for D4: Vita. I think Ni no Kuni will be the last console RPG I purchase. I just don't get the TV time anymore. Portables are the only reason I can finish RPGs.

And thanks very much, Donn.

astronautcowboy3 on
    Welp. Somehow I ended up purchasing Disgaea 2 off of PSN and it's on my PSP now.

Time to have fun.

Syphyre wrote: »
    Welp. Somehow I ended up purchasing Disgaea 2 off of PSN and it's on my PSP now.

Time to have fun.

See you in six months.

So uh...this is the first time I've ever started up a Disgaea game (though of course I've heard plenty about them.) Is there anything in particular I should do at the start of the game? Or should I just start making characters and start romping around.

So uh...this is the first time I've ever started up a Disgaea game (though of course I've heard plenty about them.) Is there anything in particular I should do at the start of the game? Or should I just start making characters and start romping around.

You may not want to take in everything all at once, there's so much in the game that your brain will explode. You may be better off exploring as you go along, as more stuff unlocks as you progress in the story. The help menus and tutorials are really good at explaining almost anything you need to know.

Just one hint though
    -Stealing works better from behind than from the front or sides. The 'hit' rating on the steal hand also boosts success rate. Also, stick to rogue classes for doing your stealing.

If you ever get to a point where you feel like you need to level, Item World breaks leveling wide open, especially if you exploit geo chains to kill overpowered monsters.

wVEsyIc.png
    I think most everything will come to me in time. One big question though...the master/student mechanic. Should I even worry about who the masters/students are at this point?

Not really, but it's great later on to get new skills passed on to classes that'd never learn them otherwise. (At least I think that's how it works, I haven't played D2 in years.)

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Not really, but it's great later on to get new skills passed on to classes that'd never learn them otherwise. (At least I think that's how it works, I haven't played D2 in years.)

Unfortunately it appears you can't teach skills like you could in Disgaea 1 and 2. Used to be that you just stand them next to eachother and chain cast the other's skill, and once it gets from 0->1 he would learn it.

In Disgaea 3, although you can still stand the master next to the student and have access to eachother's spells, you no longer skill up in it. You instead have to use the class world to teach them the new skill. One of the options(I forget which) is to inherit a skill from a member of the same club, and clearing the class world with that option will allow you to purchase that skill from the class world NPC in level 9.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I always just used the main character to create units and completely ignored the entire mechanic. Outside of using it to teach some spells to unique characters (read: Flonne), it never seemed worth it. For everything else, you're better off just reincarnating.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Fair enough. I think a valid plan is to not worry about it at all.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I'm playing Disgaea 3 on the vita at the moment, haven't played anything since the first - do you learn the weapon skills through weapon use still, or are they only through the evility store?

Are you the magic man?
    edited June 2012
    Alrighty then! Among all the other insults and hilarity in the game, after Stage 2-2 and we have a direct insult against the French.

This game is getting addicting fast...

Syphyre on
    Frei wrote: »
    I'm playing Disgaea 3 on the vita at the moment, haven't played anything since the first - do you learn the weapon skills through weapon use still, or are they only through the evility store?

I'm pretty sure it's just through the store, but I didn't invest much time in learning the ins and outs of the game. Too many ins and outs.

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's just through the store, but I didn't invest much time in learning the ins and outs of the game. Too many ins and outs.

Yep, you only get skills through the evility store now. Can't remember how it went for main characters in the PS3 version, but in the Vita version, you start off able to learn the first 3 skills in their preferred weapons, and some of the remaining 3 unlock for learning at set levels. For created characters, it's based on their preferred weapons, and the tier of the class they are; the first tier tends to only go as high as the 600 mana third skill, while only the final tiers get the sixth skill.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    Things I have learned in the past day: "pulling" enemies is a thing.

Maybe someone can clarify this for me. You gain experience in a weapon by attacking and using skills. Does attacking higher level enemies allow you gain experience faster? Or is it just a static per-use increase?

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Maybe someone can clarify this for me. You gain experience in a weapon by attacking and using skills. Does attacking higher level enemies allow you gain experience faster? Or is it just a static per-use increase?

It's static, but based on the character's aptitude for the weapon. Someone with an A for swords will gain more weapon experience per hit than someone with a C. There is a resident/innocent/whatever-they're-called that boosts the experience gained, so if you find any Armsmasters on items, they'll speed things up.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    Wow five minutes into the game and I LOVED the characters. I forgot how much I love a good japanese game. It feels like playing Paper Mario to me, just pure joy, really.

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    I really want the D4 DLC, but it's going to cost like $30.

Is there any point to attacking your own allies? Like, does it increase my chances of team attacks for some crazy anime reason?

• chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    hadoken wrote: »
    Is there any point to attacking your own allies? Like, does it increase my chances of team attacks for some crazy anime reason?

i don't have my game open at the moment, but i think there's a Legendary Tree event you can get if you attack (or kill, maybe) a linked character...maybe rivals?

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Rivals is when you counter each other with fist weapons up to ten times. So like counter-counter-counter has to have ten counters in it. I think. You might just need to punch and counter each other as separate events ten times. I'm pretty sure is that it has to be fists though because I remember being amused by that.
    Nemesis is I think the one where you (ally) kill them a bunch of times, making them the leaders nemesis. Which I believe gives the leader a ton of stat up if they ally kill their nemesis on that map.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    In D3, murdering you allies grants you a special ending!