As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Thundercats 2011] Where saying the word HO! will never be Inappropriate.

• NovidNovid Registered User regular
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    So, CN in NY are the retards and CN in ATL are awesome. The ALT people are the [adult swim] people right?

CN ATL has two divisions, CN Central and Williams Street - There isnt such a thing at CN NY - i was talking about Time Warner bosses (well, we can just say its Warner Brothers Animation). the ones mucking up the place are those in Central, who are not making anybody in WBA happy because they are leaving money at the table. So Synder is making the Warner Brothers TV Boss (Roth) unhappy, He's made the relationship with Sam Register (who has improved his standing because of his work with Jerry Beck on the Platinum (Blu-Ray) edition of the Loony Toons shorts - if not very strained, weakned to the point of no return possibly.

Now with the delay of the Flintstones series (because, yes MacFarline has been swamped with work) they trying to take stock of what they have. The show is doing well and Bandai wants to continue the line - which personally they done better then expected given the way Wall Mart and TRU do business now. Its up to CN. They better not leave the money on the table.

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    This sure gives me a little more insight, I thought maybe that CN marketing guy who hates anime was involved and wants to can the show due to its style or something. If they're makin' revenue off of toys they'd be retarded to "leave money on the table" as you're putting it.

edited April 2012
    This sure gives me a little more insight, I thought maybe that CN marketing guy who hates anime was involved and wants to can the show due to its style or something. If they're makin' revenue off of toys they'd be retarded to "leave money on the table" as you're putting it.

i have no idea if that side of marketing is involved or not. if it smelled of their influence in anyway i would have known. otherwise its a bunch of rogue CEO's with there own agenda screwing everybody over.

Novid on
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I certainly enjoyed today's episode.
    Good to have a character centric episode other than Lion-O (I can't remember one happening before other than the little bit of Tygra/Cheetara flashbacks). Glad they established why Tygra was getting passed up for succession even if it seems obvious in retrospect. I just thought only a lion could traditionally lead the Thundercats and you could have any kind as a kid, rather silly excuse to the succession issue. :lol:

I do like that the ancient spirits of evil are more than just a power upgrade for Mumm-ra. I have high hopes for the balancing out of the mystical present with the high tech past--bar them just being an evil supercomputer(s).

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Ugh, I hate when idiots at the top do stupid shit that people at the bottom can see is extremely stupid.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Ugh, I hate when idiots at the top do stupid shit that people at the bottom can see is extremely stupid.

Because you're not seeing the big picture of the business' needs and such.

It's every company ever.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Man..does it take a full week before they release their episodes on iTunes? How 90s of them. Just saw trials part 2. Awesome.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, looks like we're getting a Nintendo DS game on this... and it's from Bandai. Not even Namco Bandai, according to the box. Eesh.

Kind of surprised Warner Bros. Interactive isn't making it...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Things are looking MUCH Better. And when i mean much better, i mean the dude from Toonami just got a promotion to be a Senior VP in marketing. Meaning Toonami could come back. and if one doesn't take my word for it - yall can head on here: http://kidscreen.com/2012/04/26/cartoon-network-has-new-marketingpromotions-vp/

Not only that...finally on time - previews of this weeks episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ9EqGYfXF0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSrhBHU7jUM&feature=player_embedded

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Glad to hear things are shaping up because I'm still quite enjoying the show. The character designs are looking good there, any of the character designer on staff have a blog where we could better see concepts?

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I find it odd that Thundercats waited a season and a half to explain vital back story. Tigra's especially would have made everything from the first episode make a lot more sense.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I find it odd that Thundercats waited a season and a half to explain vital back story. Tigra's especially would have made everything from the first episode make a lot more sense.

They probably just wanted to space out all the back story episodes. They already had one for Cheetara and Panthro earlier in the season.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited May 2012
    Episode 22: The Forever Bag Preview - Or Get Ready for the DAAWWW~!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zlw0DkjHbk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-w0zcZCG-w&feature=player_embedded

Notice the Magic Words to enter the bag.

Novid on
  • FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    HAW! Rankin Bass!

It was a cute filler episode.

Ferquin N.C. Root
    Hey folks, i just want to say a few things. I have kept quiet for a bit but now i have to say some things. The future of the series is in doubt because CN is not living up to the standards Bandai and Warners is setting.

Everything that has happened with Demarco's promotion, the return of the Toonami block and Adult Swim's largest upfront to date is setting up because Turner is in a bit of a existential crisis right now. CNN is faltering badly. CN is nowhere near as good, and when Nick with only one show on Saturday is beating there DC block on a whole - there is massive problems going forward.

I have not privy to a lot of info, but IMO Lazlo is trying to get CN top boss job for years now. There is however a crimp to the plans. And thats Mr Register. He has done well as the WBA studio chief, working with Jerry Beck and the the like on the Looney Toons blu-rays and so on. As far as I know The top Brass wants him, to be the new CN head and Lazlo continue for AS. They want to merge the two together before they make a choice on weather they want to continue the series. This isn't easy or it may not happen. But im listing to a podcast (can we just say most podcasts suck? and Dan misses a lot of history between the now dead 4Kids ENT and its issues with the Thundercats and the wildstorm comic book) and its pissing me off BIG time. I wanted so bad to be a writer for this show - you know to get out of the fucking ad agency i work part time for little MONEY and IMO demonic bullshit and do something i really want to do. Even its for one episode - ill make it the best episode written i can muster up.

But the podcast is just getting me more and more angry.

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I hope things work out for the show, since I feel like it has been hitting it's stride.

edited June 2012
    It really has. and its a shame. what makes it worse is that if it was the Japanese who commissioned the work (I.E. like they did for X-Men) the anime intellectuals would not be hating on it so hard, and that fanbase would be like listing the tropes the females use) but this was done for a us audience i.e. to give the genre just a bit of self-dignity to remind those folks who worked there they didn't lose anything - it was idiots both in Japanese economic circles, the fanbase over there, and their form of censorship that broke there backs. This show was all about bring both west and east in equal opprutionity to succeed or fail. It didn't even get a chance to do either.

What makes it worse? The show is doing better in the UK than it is here, and france is yet on there heels. (CEO of Turner) Mr Kent better start firing folks today not only in CNN but in CN as well. Its gonna reach a point where Adventure Time through no fault of its own, its going to end up the same way Wreslemania is for the WWE - bigger than its host.

Novid on
    edited June 2012
    Too many things have taken place and i dont want to get into some of them because things are just getting weird right now. But one of the Thundercats websites are reporting (a rumor as of now) that the toy rights (not the show rights) are up for grabs. I only know something really bad went down some weeks ago. Take it as you will but ill will let you in if i know anything more.

Novid on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I like the show, and DVR it every week, but I think it's plagued by pacing problems. Every time the show builds momentum, it suddenly slams on the breaks. I mean, we've had two episodes about the kits in Dog City with the raccoon guy, the Soul Sever episode (which was okay, but too predictable, and not really tied into the Thundercats lore or setting), and the potion episode in recent weeks. Today's episode could have been truncated to about 10 minutes (the entire history of the stone, and denial, could have taken place during the welcome banquet).

The animation is gorgeous, and the meta-story is good, but it's all just written in sloppy chunks. Little bits of actual story or meaningful character moments wrapped in smothering, unneeded cruft. A talented editor is desperately needed, if the show can hold out that long.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Novid, not that I want you to stop feeding us these cool bits of information, but I just wanted to ask...
    You're not going to get busted for these posts, are you? I mean, it seems that you're enough in the know that some of this might potentially be violating NDAs, and I'd hate to see a guy get in trouble over stuff on the forums.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    predicting later episodes
    pumyra's mum-ra/a mum-ra spy

jCyyTSo.png
    see317 wrote: »
    Novid, not that I want you to stop feeding us these cool bits of information, but I just wanted to ask...
    You're not going to get busted for these posts, are you? I mean, it seems that you're enough in the know that some of this might potentially be violating NDAs, and I'd hate to see a guy get in trouble over stuff on the forums.

Not as long as webmasters from fan sites post info im not. And besides, i dont work for the crew and im not given away anything that hasnt been posted by the fansites.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »

In the original series there was an episode where...
    Mumm-ra disguised himself as a Thundercat to infiltrate the good guys. His disguise? A puma-type cat named Pumm-ra.

It's possible they have decided to combine Pumm-Ra and Pumyra.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Novid wrote: »

Not as long as webmasters from fan sites post info im not. And besides, i dont work for the crew and im not given away anything that hasnt been posted by the fansites.

Were you the one to get Tygra to call Pantro a "silly goose?"

Bagginses wrote: »
    Novid wrote: »

Were you the one to get Tygra to call Pantro a "silly goose?"

I said it before, i dont work for the crew.

I think Novid's my favorite cartoon insider on the boards (not that we have many).

Dish it. I've read some of the stuff he's posted myself prior to his laying it out for us but that is because I keep up with a few different cartoon blogs and the info is fairly scattered. Novid you should get a blog or a podcast so I can get all my pertinent cartoon biz from a single source.

I should, really now with all the things happening with 4Kids and the like. Thats the biggest story no-one is willing to talk about on a historical perspective. (Konami is one of the bidders to buy the company outright) The problem with a site is cost and how it looks. I know a few that work in the big, big ad agencies trying to go on the whole website thing and spending millions and getting nowhere. Toonzone is a unique problem because they have made not one red penny and have expanded 20 fold, where as Fedratior started out the same time and now has a few successful tv series. But Toonzone have been the source of news for years now and nobody will spend the money to get a good five man team to kick there teeth in. That and Both Brian and Ellieen (who are married) have both worked in the business are a bit too mainstream (and make errors on end) for my taste.

When a no named Podcast (thats No Pink Spandex) can get a story on TMZ, where as Toonzone has never had a major story break mainstream (I even was apart of Loonatics Unleashed bruahah some years ago - when both CBS Evening News and Sunday Morning showed my post as part of the story. Sadly, the local station here was too busy worrying about their news men antics instead of calling for a interview but thats how the breaks work.) you have some problems. Heck even Penny Arcade has done more in the same time period than that site has.

Lars wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »

In the original series there was an episode where...
    Mumm-ra disguised himself as a Thundercat to infiltrate the good guys. His disguise? A puma-type cat named Pumm-ra.

It's possible they have decided to combine Pumm-Ra and Pumyra.
    Has he ever been able to split himself in two and transform one of them before? I don't remember whether he could or not...

I mean, that doesn't mean he couldn't here, but so long as we're looking to the original series for a precedent...

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    That reminds me, Mumra's plan to turn himself into a giant slow moving dinosaur was pretty stupid even for him.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    That reminds me, Mumra's plan to turn himself into a giant slow moving dinosaur was pretty stupid even for him.

A giant, slow moving, impenetrable dinosaur, and it wasn't even that slow. He turned himself into a tank.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

A giant, slow moving, impenetrable dinosaur, and it wasn't even that slow. He turned himself into a tank.

Yeah, it seems silly but considering if he had tried it say, a week before, it would have worked just fine. Curse you coincidentally timed anti-demon gas!

Lorek on
    edited June 2012
    This is it boys. The Season Finale. Here are the clips first.

http://youtu.be/XJyfq0oOlUY

http://youtu.be/ObWYT_2Rhug

They are planning a book three for DVD. The wait is for blu-ray right now.

From now on its a wait and see, they have stopped production.

More when it comes up. After the show there is anybody who wants to interview me, thats fine.

Novid on
    So, I've been seeing a bit of buzz that this is it... not seeing that buzz here gives me hope, though.

Anything? Anyone? I wouldn't consider TR a top-tier news source in this case, and IGN seems to be speculating.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Hrm, well while it's disappointing that Thundercats was cancelled, I can't really blame them in the end.

The show was more or less the last leg on that whole Thundercats push they tried to cash in with a few years back, what with a big-screen adaptation falling through the seams when some studio execs had a boner for 80's properties after Transformers hit the money pit. My guess is that the show was just an experiment after everything else fell through. Maybe they realized that something like Thundercats should have stayed buried in the past since the newer generations could just want their own franchises built from the ground up I suppose?

That was a pretty cool episode.
    At first I was disappointed by Pumira being evil but then it turns out she's some kind of ghoul/zombie/ghost and it was cool.

I also really like that the Bag of Holding was utilized. I was totally expecting that thing to never be mentioned again after that one episode so I was plesently surprised.

At first I was disappointed by Pumira being evil but then it turns out she's some kind of ghoul/zombie/ghost and it was cool.

I also really like that the Bag of Holding was utilized. I was totally expecting that thing to never be mentioned again after that one episode so I was plesently surprised.

At the same time, the change of tides was so easy and childish. The twins were allowed to perseverate and the reinforcements had such an easy time.

At the same time, the change of tides was so easy and childish. The twins were allowed to perseverate and the reinforcements had such an easy time.

If I was getting attacked by fishpeople with harpoons, I'd get the fuck out too.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    dvr missed the start of the episode.

oh well. I liked the show.

jCyyTSo.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    It was an okay episode. The
    Pumira reveal

Was the most interesting part. Unfortunately, the episode - like all the others, really, suffered from pacing issues.

It's a shame that the series likely ends here. There were some interesting ideas and good moments, but like I wrote a few posts above, few surprises and just outright sloppy writing. For a show that was more or less in limbo from day 1, the languid pace and lack of character development definitely hurt it. It felt like the writers weren't sure if they wanted to write it as an episodic series or as a serial, and the show suffered for it. A ton of potential wasted by pointless filler episodes and lessons never really learned.