As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360 Pal version disc drive error

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So my bro's 360 isn't reading modern warfare or any other disks, I need a repair place that people here find trustworthy and that is in the Seattle area. Preferably south of Lake Washington but beggers can't be choosers.

RoyceSraphim on

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I don't know of any repair shops, but replacing the drive is fairly simple, and it's technically a dead system right now anyway. Have you considered picking up a broken 360 online and just replacing the drive? There's a lot of tutorials online with instructions for that.

Also, have you checked with your local gameshops or even a gamestop to see what trade in credit would be like? You can probably trade in the broken system for around $70 and just buy a new one (of your model) and I doubt it would be considerably more than getting it repaired.

Also, how old is the system? You might be able to get Microsoft to cover the repairs if it's within warranty, but I know they've changed their warranty specs several times over the last couple of years so I'm not sure how the disc read errors/rrod stuff plays in to what's covered long term and what's not.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    I don't know of any repair shops, but replacing the drive is fairly simple, and it's technically a dead system right now anyway. Have you considered picking up a broken 360 online and just replacing the drive? There's a lot of tutorials online with instructions for that.

Also, have you checked with your local gameshops or even a gamestop to see what trade in credit would be like? You can probably trade in the broken system for around $70 and just buy a new one (of your model) and I doubt it would be considerably more than getting it repaired.

Also, how old is the system? You might be able to get Microsoft to cover the repairs if it's within warranty, but I know they've changed their warranty specs several times over the last couple of years so I'm not sure how the disc read errors/rrod stuff plays in to what's covered long term and what's not.

The DVD drive is mated to the xbox360. Its more then a simple cable swap to replace a drive.

• Options
    Well, it reads some disks of his fine, and it just has a hard time reading MW3, it quits right as it starts looking for matches and he's gotten so bad, he's started taking it apart and beating on it like a monkey.

Not exaggerating.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

The DVD drive is mated to the xbox360. Its more then a simple cable swap to replace a drive.

My mistake, I thought you could swap it out. I must have been thinking of the old Xbox which was very mod/upgrade friendly.
    Well, it reads some disks of his fine, and it just has a hard time reading MW3, it quits right as it starts looking for matches and he's gotten so bad, he's started taking it apart and beating on it like a monkey.

Not exaggerating.

Well, it could just be his MW3 disc then. If you're not joking and he's actually hitting his console because it doesn't work, then he's probably not too gentile with his discs either, and he's probably fucked up his xbox and should grow up a little.

Does he have MW3 installed to his hard drive? If you can get the disc to install then I think all it has to do is spin up to verify that it's in the console and the HD takes care of the rest. That might fix the problem. It sounds like the sector with all the multiplayer stuff is scratched which is why the disc will read, but crash during multi.

What other games are giving him a problem, because it could also be a rare issue where one of his map packs or something is corrupted and he can try to re-download them.

• Options
    Update, he tried playing Batman:AC and the disk became unreadable. I'm thinking its the box. He doesn't have a hard drive because he and his wife are too freaking cheap when it comes to my advice.

• Options
    I would tell him to either get his 360 repaired or buy a new one and trade in the old one, get the HD this time, and take his discs to a gamestop or place where they can run them through a scratch fixer (or just buy one, they're like $20 tops) and start fresh, taking better care of his stuff this time around.