As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

get your flu shots here!

Nurse JoyNurse Joy Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hi! I figured I'd make my first post with some art. :P

Now hold still, this won't hurt one bit. ^___^
happy5.jpg

Artist's note: Yeah, the scan sucks and so does the lineart, that and my coloring/CG skills are pretty much diddly squat.. which would explain all the white and black lol.... But other than that I'm wondering if there are other things to improve upon.

Oh, and happy to be in this forum!

Nurse Joy on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tiny hands.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ghh. Yeah..I was beginning to notice. >_> Thanks for the heads up.

Nurse Joy on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    giraffe neck

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like long necks. A lot.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    rfilyaw wrote: »

They aren't quite as nice as big butts but to each his own. ;)

Grifter on
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You're probobly not going to get too many serious crits if you just post anime stuff. You should post some stuff thats at least in your own style, or better yet, some life drawings.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If the incredibly intimidating needle juxtaposed with the smily nurse was what was supposed to be interesting about the picture, why is the needle shoved into a tiny corner space?

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Grifter wrote: »

They aren't quite as nice as big butts but to each his own. ;)

I like asian girls... That's actually the only reason I study Japanese and Chinese so hard.

EDIT:

Let's contribute something positive to this thread other than my Lucy Liu fetish, I totally agree with Lyrium. The needle should have been a more important part of the composition.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why *is* the scan so horrible? Do you have a flatbed scanner? Are you inking your lines?

Brolo on
  • Options
    NamNam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Post more, and maybe some non anime stuff. It's hard to tell you what you need to improve on based on one anime picture.

Nam on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Agreed with Nam. If you love Anime, that's cool. No one's judging you here. But I've seen some amazing anime-style artists who not only put the flat lines on paper, they can make an entirely fictional body/face composition look almost real in its own right.

Also, I sort of don't like the needle at all. It would perform no function at all, it wouldn't even pass into a human very far without having to be turned. Perhaps a long, thick hypodermic with numerous protruding blades or shrapnel at its base, promising an unhappy endign. The hole of the hypodermic would be visible, and add to the illusion of a giant painful needle. (Ever given blood? That needle feels like an ink pen going in your skin. It looks like you could squeeze marbles through it)

And I agree with what else was said, if the needle is important, place it in an important spot, preferably a 1/3rd line somewhere on the sheet. A common preperation for needle usage is to tap it with one's middle finger, so that would be another intimidating bit of action to add to the piece.

I'd like to see your other work. Best of luck to you.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    giraffe neck

hmm..I never would have noticed that, thanks.
    lyrium wrote:
    If the incredibly intimidating needle juxtaposed with the smily nurse was what was supposed to be interesting about the picture, why is the needle shoved into a tiny corner space?
    I totally agree with Lyrium. The needle should have been a more important part of the composition.

Good point. It used to be right in front of her but I figured it'd just make the picture look confusing, so I settled for a different pose and put the needle to her side. The whole picture already takes up the entire space of the paper..soo I'm still figuring this out.

Hmmm, I could raise the syringe somewhere to the level of her face, it will also give me the chance to correct her small hands. I think I'll be trying that but I am open to other suggestions.
    Chop Logic wrote:
    You're probobly not going to get too many serious crits if you just post anime stuff. You should post some stuff thats at least in your own style, or better yet, some life drawings.

Well I never really cared much for realism or other styles, but I'm willing to practice with it just to get a good grasp on proportions. This is my preferred style after all.
    Rolo wrote:
    Why *is* the scan so horrible? Do you have a flatbed scanner? Are you inking your lines?

It seems that I never could get a decent scan, I must be doing something wrong. D: As for the lines, it's pretty much just a mechanical pencil with graphite that leaves soft lines.
    Also, I sort of don't like the needle at all. It would perform no function at all, it wouldn't even pass into a human very far without having to be turned.

Lolt hat was the point ^_^ it would have to be turned, and with the little spikes getting in the way it will have to be forced in.^_^ Actually the needle design itself was inspired by the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gae_Bolg so yeah lol.

Nurse Joy on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah... to get clean lines you need to ink them, which means that for best results you'll want to stop using that mechanical pencil, because the hard thin point of it will scratch your paper, making etch marks that will screw around with your inks.

Make a sketch using a regular HB pencil, then ink it carefully with either a brush, a pen nib, or a fine drawing marker. Blank ink will obviously work best, and most people find thin marker sets the easiest to start off with. You can get a set from most stationary stores.

Inking takes a fair amount of practise, and is far from just 'tracing'. Still, once you get your inks done, you can erase your original sketch, leaving only a clean inked drawing that will scan in with no mess, and leave a picture that's suitable for colouring.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    Yeah... to get clean lines you need to ink them, which means that for best results you'll want to stop using that mechanical pencil, because the hard thin point of it will scratch your paper, making etch marks that will screw around with your inks.

Make a sketch using a regular HB pencil, then ink it carefully with either a brush, a pen nib, or a fine drawing marker. Blank ink will obviously work best, and most people find thin marker sets the easiest to start off with. You can get a set from most stationary stores.

Inking takes a fair amount of practise, and is far from just 'tracing'. Still, once you get your inks done, you can erase your original sketch, leaving only a clean inked drawing that will scan in with no mess, and leave a picture that's suitable for colouring.

And if your scanner is complete and utter crap, and even the cleanly inked lines look like they came out of a 1980's fax machine, digital inking (ie. Pen Tablets and Photoshop) might be more up your alley, though the equipment you would need to purchase would equal that of an excellent scanner.

Of course there's also the pen tool, which you can use to draw vector based lines with a mouse, then turn them to rasterized ink strokes.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rolo wrote: »

And if your scanner is complete and utter crap, and even the cleanly inked lines look like they came out of a 1980's fax machine, digital inking (ie. Pen Tablets and Photoshop) might be more up your alley, though the equipment you would need to purchase would equal that of an excellent scanner.

Of course there's also the pen tool, which you can use to draw vector based lines with a mouse, then turn them to rasterized ink strokes.

Or a wacom and GIMP. :P

You don't need to throw down $600 to do digital art when the gimp works fine for most purposes.

MKR on
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    giraffe neck
    Wildebeast hooves.

oh, I thought were playing a word game.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    hijinksensue, that's not helpful at all. You could at least repeat what someone else said.

Nurse Joy, it hurts my feelings that you're not 'interested in other styles' because anime isn't really 'your' style. You (and pretty much every high schooler since the year 1998) cribbed it from your favorite cartoons. Yeah you gotta start somewhere, but you'll hold yourself back if you actively limit your influences.
    Take in as many influences as possible, japanese, american, african, european, whatever. All kinds of things that will appeal to your senses that are probably going over your head now. If you miss them, you'll never unlock YOUR TRUE POWER *shakes fist*.

Something one of my professors told me while I was in college, and something you sould ask yourself is, "Why would you want to spend all your energy and talent echoing someone else's voice?"

So yeah, basically I gotta bang the old 'draw from life and practice real humans and develop your own style' drum. And when you do that you won't miss things like, 'too small hands' or 'giraffe necks'. Everyone will be able to move to the next level and critique (read: nitpick) all the other parts of your work! And we'll all be better for it. So get to it. Cuz I mean, yeah it's a nice drawing, but who cares? It's an anime nurse, and uh...okay. NC-17 version of pokemon? Who drew this? I have no idea.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lalilulelo wrote: »
    hijinksensue, that's not helpful at all. You could at least repeat what someone else said.

[/I]

How's this for repeating what someone else said:

Tiny giraffe necks aren't quite as nice as big butts if you just post anime stuff.

The incredibly intimidating asian girls contribute something positive to this thread other than my Lucy Liu fetish. The needle should have been a flatbed scanner;long, thick protruding, promising an unhappy hole.

Ever given blood?
    It looks like you could squeeze marbles through it.

Leave a picture that's complete and utter crap. A 1980's fax machine might be more up your alley.
    GIMP, you don't need to throw down $600 to do wildebeast hooves.
    It hurts my feelings that you're not interested in african whatever.

Unlock YOUR TRUE POWER!

Something one of my professors told me while I was in college, "I gotta bang."

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The incredibly intimidating asian girls

Really?! Where? Oh wait... you're toying with me... :(

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

[/I]

How's this for repeating what someone else said:

Tiny giraffe necks aren't quite as nice as big butts if you just post anime stuff.

The incredibly intimidating asian girls contribute something positive to this thread other than my Lucy Liu fetish. The needle should have been a flatbed scanner;long, thick protruding, promising an unhappy hole.

Ever given blood?
    It looks like you could squeeze marbles through it.

Leave a picture that's complete and utter crap. A 1980's fax machine might be more up your alley.
    GIMP, you don't need to throw down $600 to do wildebeast hooves.
    It hurts my feelings that you're not interested in african whatever.

Unlock YOUR TRUE POWER!

Something one of my professors told me while I was in college, "I gotta bang."

:?

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Something one of my professors told me while I was in college, and something you sould ask yourself is, "Why would you want to spend all your energy and talent echoing someone else's voice?"

This is good advice that should be printed out and laminated.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    AbunaiAbunai Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I agree with Lalilulelo down there. It's probably not in your best interests to pursue only manga styles at this time. My personal reasons are a little different though, and obviously highly opinionated. I have no idea where you're from but for the sake of argument we'll say it's somewhere in the USA.

My junior year of college (2005) I lived in Kyoto Japan and studied comic arts at a local university (yay study abroad!). Very shortly after I got there I knew I would not make my publications there in their style. The reason being if you research it or better yet just go walk around in Japan for a bit, you notice that the overarching style of manga comes from Japanese culture: the clothes, buildings, hairstyles, everything. You can even watch it evolve out of their historical art as well. I believe that this is one of the reasons that american made manga/anime never looks quite right (eg avatar the last airbender). So even if you get something that looks close, it probably won't flow quite like the real stuff because there is sooo much culture behind it.

So after that long winded brain fart, basically just try and doodle on your own. Copying a specific style won't get you very far, and you might find something you like better anyway.

Also with your scanner. Have you checked to make sure you are not on a "document" or "text" setting? The spotty lines look like it to me. If you aren't or can't tell, look for the settings reset button. You might have something else weird somewhere so resetting to the factory default may fix it.

Abunai on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You've raised some pretty good points. I did say I was willing to practice with real life, I guess I really should get around to doing it. Yes I guess I have seen the light. It's glaring into my eyes like a flashlight but thank you anyway.

@Abunai: As for your post about non-Japanese anime not looking quite right, it's not necessarily bad. Let's just say that they added a touch of their own culture into anime.

Developing my own style is indeed a good idea but there's a good chance that it might start to resemble manga at some point, but hey we all have our influences right?

Nurse Joy on
  • Options
    StudioZELStudioZEL ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nurse Joy wrote: »
    Developing my own style is indeed a good idea but there's a good chance that it might start to resemble manga at some point, but hey we all have our influences right?

Don't be as stubborn as I am on the subject. It's for your own good. :-P

For your reference most of my stuff looks like this

http://www.studio-zel.com/images/GigaPlayDCwithMe_v1_finish.jpg

http://www.studio-zel.com/images/GiroNatsuBeachFinish_small.jpg

And this is why I'll never make it as an illustrator. ^^;

StudioZEL on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the first question you have to ask yourself is: Why am I trying to ape this style in the first place?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    thundercakethundercake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you spend a lot of time learning the basics, your own style will develop subconsciously, and if it resembles manga, so be it :) My style probably resembles someone else's but I won't worry about it because I'm still learning too. But if the same is true for you as it was for me, when you study all the other styles, you see merit in them too, and may want to incorporate them into your own.

thundercake on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    StudioZEL wrote: »

No, you'll never make it as an illustrator because you suck. Like, as a person.

multimoog on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    EDIT'D FOR CLARITY

Oh god, shutup. Seriously, everytime I read your posts I want to kill myself. They're all full of emo and you're always content with being no good despite the fact you shelled out tons of money to go to art school. Because drawing anime is fun and drawing from life isn't!

And then you pimp it like it's a good way to give advice? What?

Virum on
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Virum wrote: »
    Seriously, everytime I read your posts I want to kill myself. They're all full of emo and you're always content with being no good despite the fact you shelled out tons of money to go to art school.

You know you're doing things wrong, you know your art sucks and you won't do a goddamn thing about it because you "enjoy drawing anime."

And that's fine, cool, but yeah, you'll always be a shitty artist if you don't do what you gotta do.

Wait, Virum are you talking to Nurse Joy or StudioZEL?

Saved on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    StudioZEL, sorry.

Virum on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was referring to the fact that Zel took all his bad qualities - substandard art that he doesn't take advice on how to fix, self-defeatist attitude and ego boost/compliment fishing - and mixed them up with a new one: sitewhoring.

In another person's art thread.

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    multimoog wrote: »
    And this is why I'll never make it as an illustrator.

No, you'll never make it as an illustrator because you suck. Like, as a person.

I was gonna say the same thing. Zel, you suck. I consider myself to be a bad designer, but I still manage to make a living out of this because I work my ass off! Honestly, you make me angry! You know that there are skills you need to tighten up, but you choose to suck, this is why you'll never make it as an illustrator.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Let's try to not derail this thread. Also, it appears that ZEL's post is still there and not deleted.

Grifter on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyway at least Zel's latest thing in the doodle thread is a move in the right direction ... but yeah, not trying to continue the derailment, just thought it should be pointed out.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wow, I never meant to spark this kind of resentment.

I was trying to assist the others here, as another artist who prefers to draw in the anime style, that developing one's own style is a much better way to go if one wants to make a career for themselves as an illustrator. I only posted samples of my work to show Nurse Joy (a new person who's not familiar with my work) that even I, an anime artist, agree that this is better. Helping to teach others from my own mistakes, as it were.
    Virium wrote:
    Seriously, everytime I read your posts I want to kill myself.

If you seriously believe this then you need to get your priorities straight. I went to artschool because I was serious about being an artist, but then after very careful evaluation decided that I placed more importance on my stories than my artwork. I only showed my artwork as an example to show Nurse Joy that she'd be far better off not following my path if she's serious about illustration. If you can't see that, than please, stop.

StudioZEL on
  • Options
    JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't think the problem has anything to do with style, if you want to draw Anime that's fine even if alot of people don't like it. The problem is jumping right into that style when there is an obvious lacking of some core fundamentals. The problem is using your style as a crutch or excuse for poor anatomy/composition or whatever. As someone who wishes they could go to Ringling but know I could never afford to It frustrates me to see it wasted like that, because you decided that you would rather concentrate on your writing and draw broken anime characters.

Anyways, I don't mean to derail the topic more.. Nurse Joy you said you were going to draw some stuff from life, make sure to let us see when you do.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    JWashke wrote: »
    I don't think the problem has anything to do with style, if you want to draw Anime that's fine even if alot of people don't like it. The problem is jumping right into that style when there is an obvious lacking of some core fundamentals. The problem is using your style as a crutch or excuse for poor anatomy/composition or whatever. As someone who wishes they could go to Ringling but know I could never afford to It frustrates me to see it wasted like that, because you decided that you would rather concentrate on your writing and draw broken anime characters.

Anyways, I don't mean to derail the topic more.. Nurse Joy you said you were going to draw some stuff from life, make sure to let us see when you do.

I couldn't afford it really, I'm gonna be in massive debt for many years to come. Trust me, if there's one decision I could turn the clock back and change, it's that. ^^

Anyway, Nurse Joy, I apologize that my post has cause such an uproar in your art thread, and I hope you continue to post your work here as well. ^_^

StudioZEL on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    can we reinstitute flame week?

Nurse- This drawing blows, go to art school and pay full tuition, it will help provide scholarships for others.

Zel- Same to you, your comics suck and your drawings lick balls, but keep paying the bills because someone with talent will benefit from your failure.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    can we reinstitute flame week?

No.

Everyone, stop being dicks.

Also, shut the fuck up about ZEL in here. Take it to the chat thread if you really must.

Angel_of_Bacon on