As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    My brother in laws brother has one and he loves it. But he lives in Mass with all those twisty roads I can only dream of.

• LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    I walked into this thread at the proper Matrix of RWD muscle and the Nissan Juke - I'm considering what to do about my 2006 GTO.

Monster car I love dearly, but 2 doors with a baby, an M6 my wife can't drive, and RWD in Nebraska winters, I'm in need of something (gulp) practical.

The way I see it, I need to either keep the Goat and get something practical and cheap, or get something fast and sell Old Blue. I really want to do something in the next 6 months, or at least make a decision, so I know how many car holes my new house needs.

So, garage queen the GTO or get a car that's both practical and fun? Me+GTO+Juke=Win? Me-GTO+CTS4=grownup? Anyone have vehicle suggestions or advice from having been in the same spot? I know what I want to do: CTS-V Wagon, but that's insane. Right?

• LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    On the FRS, I'll note one thing that I found interesting in the media reviews: They seem to love it because the handling and tires are a match made in heaven. At first I thought that was kind of a knock on the car - it feels fast because it was given crappy tires - but that's not it at all. It's really hard to get that feeling of gradual loss of traction and continued control without making it feel like its on ice skates, but all the performance numbers seem to back up that it's not sloppy, just designed to let the back hang out a little.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Personally, Id go for a wagon, but Ive had a unexplainable hard on for wagons for a couple of years now. If youre willing to go used, Id get a WRX wagon (2007 or older, although the current gen shoebox WRX/STi would fit your needs). Theyre sporty yet practical and theyre AWD.

If Audi sold an S Wagon in the US Id probably recommend one of those, depending on your finances and what youre interested in.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    If you can find one a 2005-2007 Legacy GT wagon is also a good mix of sportiness, practicality, and refinement. I have a friend with one and another with a sedan and they're very nice cars, and a real sleeper compared to a WRX.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    edited June 2012
    Im not going to lie, the first gen Legacy Outback makes me feel things in my naughty regions:

800px-1998_Subaru_Lancaster_Limited.jpg

On the one hand its super bland, but on the other <3

emp123 on
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Im not going to lie, the first gen Legacy Outback makes me feel things in my naughty regions:

800px-1998_Subaru_Lancaster_Limited.jpg

On the one hand its super bland, but on the other <3

Yup thats the subies for you not super sexy looking but they are god damn nice cars. The new impreza is pretty slick pretty amazing milage for an AWD car and really nice all around. I almost got one but it was just a bit more price wise than I was willing to go at the time.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I'm making that noise that Fry made, when he realized he'd slept with his own grandmother.

hvjHL.jpg

ccfTj.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-77

nibXTE7.png
  • TejsTejs Registered User regular
    That One-77 wreck makes me cry a little bit.

On the outside.

Such a stunningly beautiful car when it's not a hunk of metal.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    A friend of mine was telling me he was getting a new car. I was enthused! But then he told me he was really eyeing up a v6 auto Camaro.
    I told him (as he has faith in me as a car gent) that I'd find him something with some more bang for his buck.

Lightly used WRXs seem right up his alley (19-22k) I got him interested for now.
    Any other suggestions? It would be his daily driver.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Genesis Coupe, BRZ or FR-S.

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    A friend of mine was telling me he was getting a new car. I was enthused! But then he told me he was really eyeing up a v6 auto Camaro.
    I told him (as he has faith in me as a car gent) that I'd find him something with some more bang for his buck.

Lightly used WRXs seem right up his alley (19-22k) I got him interested for now.
    Any other suggestions? It would be his daily driver.

If he needs a useful car and not just a fun one, I'd look at the GTI and Mazdaspeed3 as well. Both are very fun to drive, have decent interiors, and as hatchbacks are all-around useful cars.

But if backseats and cargo room aren't big deals, then yeah:
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Genesis Coupe, BRZ or FR-S.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Saw a bunch of Ferraris of varying vintage going the opposite direction today while I was driving to work. Thought it was pretty cool. Then while stopped at a light...

YMjr2.jpg?1

Silver Cloud II. Absolutely impeccable finish. I couldn't get a picture of him, but the driver was in the classic chauffeur outfit, hat and all.

nibXTE7.png
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Some sort of Cars and Coffee event maybe?

DuPont Registry's office is right down the street from where I work so once a month they have a Cars and Coffee show and there are gorgeous cars swarming the roads.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Some sort of Cars and Coffee event maybe?

DuPont Registry's office is right down the street from where I work so once a month they have a Cars and Coffee show and there are gorgeous cars swarming the roads.

I just travel through two extremely wealthy areas on my way to work.

nibXTE7.png
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Regarding the v6 camaro, why not a v6 mustang if he wants that kind of car? Much better than the camaro.

Also for the guy with the GTO, what about looking for a used g8 gt? Much more practical, very similar mechanically.

Jealous Deva on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    While heading out early this morning to watch the Euros, not a block from our apartment complex, we saw a De Tomaso Pantera. We live in Newport Beach and see a lot of different cars, but this one was special. Awesome yellow color as well.

So I had my first official problem with my 08 GTI today, almost to 80k miles. The PCV valve went bad apparently. Rough/oscillating idle, stutter when it would lose boost pressure, and the kicker, an engine oil fountain from the oil cap. An easy enough fix though at least, about a hundred bucks for a replacement and it's just a few screws to remove, then a couple hoses to detach and reattach and it's done.

This after my windshield got cracked by a rock.

nibXTE7.png
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    So I had my first official problem with my 08 GTI today, almost to 80k miles. The PCV valve went bad apparently. Rough/oscillating idle, stutter when it would lose boost pressure, and the kicker, an engine oil fountain from the oil cap. An easy enough fix though at least, about a hundred bucks for a replacement and it's just a few screws to remove, then a couple hoses to detach and reattach and it's done.

That's a friken expensive PCV. A replacement PCV for my miata was $12. Is yours a metal one or plastic?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.

That's a friken expensive PCV. A replacement PCV for my miata was $12. Is yours a metal one or plastic?

Plastic, includes the new gasket. That was the cheapest I could find, too, getting into more "performance" versions it was $200+.

nibXTE7.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    What the hell is a performance PCV?

Wow. That's like a giant buzzword description.

tumblr_m54q5zVZb71qzqua1o1_500.gif

AHHAHA does it add horsepower too?

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    whoa

a catch can is literally that

a can to catch oil that gets burped through the pcv, so it doesnt get sucked into the intake. $300 for one? that's freaking crazy.

919UOwT.png
    I'm guessing the cost is more in the fabrication than the materials though, since they're not really mass-produced.

nibXTE7.png
    I saw a BMW Z1 the other day while I was out:

Ld7u9.jpg

BTX7E.jpg

I forgot these things existed.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Ld7u9.jpg

BTX7E.jpg

Does it come with complementary crane that follows you around to hoist you out of the thing? My knees hurt just thinking about it.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    A DIY PCV catch can is pretty easy to make on the cheap. Google it :)

Some people have more money than DIY skill, though. Hence the $300 catch can :P.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Ld7u9.jpg

BTX7E.jpg

Does it come with complementary crane that follows you around to hoist you out of the thing? My knees hurt just thinking about it.

It doesn't look like it would be much harder to get in and out of than an Elise.

• MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Did you ask a woman in a short skirt to get in it for you?

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Looks like Scion is coming out with a new 2-door. The price range is around $20k. I saw it in a Consumer Reports magazine. It appears to be something worth considering.

Its not the FRS?

That's it.

• El WhitoEl Whito Registered User regular
    Anyone have an opinion on the Nissan xterra? specifically the 05 and up models. I'm looking for something to drive for work that's 4wd and tough enough to handle all the stop and go driving I have to do(rural meter reading), and that can carry all the stuff I need. I have a Dodge pickup right now and I'm sick of things breaking on it and getting less than ten MPG on the job, so I figured a six would do better than the truck's giant V8. Apparently all the major magazines like it.

The only thing that would worry me is the nearest Nissan dealer is about 75 miles away, and I don't know much about the vehicle's reliability. Anyone have one, or maybe thoughts or suggestions?

Mass Genocide is the most demanding activity one can take part in. Next to soccer. - Loki, Dogma
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    Looks like Scion is coming out with a new 2-door. The price range is around $20k. I saw it in a Consumer Reports magazine. It appears to be something worth considering.

In other news, we've landed on the moon, folks!

can you feel the struggle within?
    edited June 2012
    I've just spent over $500 on brake parts. Unfortunately, I have to buy the stupid expensive rotors or else they'll warp. I did my brakes last year, because the dealership which I took my car to get service, tightened the wheels so tight that my caliper stopped working, so I had to redo the front brakes. Since it was an emergency, I went and used the $30 Auto Zone rotors, which warped after a week. Since I do not want the rotors to warp in another week, the $170 ones had to be purchased for each (front) wheel. And then, of course, the most awesomest pads to go with it.
    Still sucks though.
    Though, since so much money was spent, I was considering getting the stainless steel lines and doing that while I'm there...

L Ron Howard on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    So my sister is in the market for a new car. The current plan seems to be getting a just-off-lease like 2010 model and she likes the idea of a versa hatchback. How would you guys rank it against other cars in that segment?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    Six wrote: »
    Slider wrote: »

In other news, we've landed on the moon, folks!

I just saw that movie. It sucked.