As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So I've been watching Young Justice, its a great show. But this last episode raised some Speedster questions
    Has Wally always been slower then Barry and Bart? Can he just not tap into the speed force as well as them or something?
    In the comics it is the other way around, Wally is the fastest of the Flashes.

Or at least he was until Flash: Rebirth, I think.

Yeah, but Wally also didn't become the fastest till a good chunk into his career as the Flash, post Barry death.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    he used to be slower than Barry but it was a mental block that kept him from being "better"

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I picked up Marvel 1602 when it was on sale last week on ComiXology. I finished it today and it was truly wonderful. Are any of the sequels worth looking into?

steam_sig.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    I picked up Marvel 1602 when it was on sale last week on ComiXology. I finished it today and it was truly wonderful. Are any of the sequels worth looking into?
    Fantastick Four and Spider-Man are both fantastic

New World is

not so much

CYpGAPn.png
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    do not read new world

7656367.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I hope someone from 1602 shows up in Dazzler's pseudo-exiles book.

Preferably Daredevil

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    So... Action Comics #9 looks like it could be good. Was it?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    If you like Morrison style stories, then yeah all of Action is great.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I need xtreme x-men right now

7656367.jpg
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    I hope someone from 1602 shows up in Dazzler's pseudo-exiles book.

Preferably Daredevil

What pseudo-exiles book is this now?

galactussig-1.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Xtreme X-men!

sorry, I can't not yell that.

initiatefailure on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I kind of lost interest in the Herc series after it was announced it was ending and the Spider-Island tie-in, even though I thought the first few issues were really good. Did he get his divine powers back at the end of that, or is he still mortal? I couldn't tell one way or the other in Avengers Academy.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    He's still mortal as of the end of Herc. Though I really hope he gets his powers back, sometime soon. A lot of his personality and humor, came from the fact that he was an indestructible goof.

I seem to remember Zeus telling Herc at the end of his series, that he could return to Olympus and be godly again, if he wanted to. But, Herc instead chose to hang out in Brooklyn a while longer, and explore his mortality.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Awright, chaps, chapettes, and awesome people, here's a dinger:

How do you organize your floppies?

My one short box has overflowed to the point of a foot-tall stack on the floor and I need to get another. But now I'm thinking - short or long? How should I organize going forward? My first thought is to go yearly. So I'd pick up another short box for what I have right now, then pick up a long box in September or so and sort out a shortbox for 2011, a long box for 2012, and a shortbox for incoming/to be read stuff beyond that. (When that second short fills up, grab a 2013 box and all that.)

The problem with that is that it works okay, but not great from an archival perspective - ie: it'd be harder to read complete runs. The other options are doing it alphabetically (okay, but causes an issue with the boundary of single boxes and adding in new issues down the road) or by publisher to a degree, which would be uneven in Marvel's favour in my case.

Any tips?

huntresssig.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I have 7 long boxes all in alphabetical order. But I'm having problems with my annuals and my mini-series and trades. I think most of them are out of order now.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited June 2012
    What do you do when you run out of space in, say, A-C? Add another box in and shuffle the entire thing?

edit: I keep going back to my archiving training in order to try and fix this but alphabetizing new scheduled accessions that need to be kept in series with stuff from further back in the schedule pretty much laughs right at institutional archiving.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    That's what I've done

It's also why I'm cutting back because storage is never not going to be a pain in the ass

Unless we're talking digital

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I've seriously trimmed my collection down (from 8 short boxes to 1.5), but at it's peak I never went alphabetical, but kind of grouped the titles that were closest together. Avengers and Thunderbolts went together, Superman family stuck together, etc. And I would just put the annuals and other related one-shots near the tab and sort in ascending order. And as a catch all for one off issues or tie-ins, I would have a miscellaneous Marvel and DC tab.

The more I think about it the more I like doing it by year. If you tag boxes with years (and have a simple understanding/formally written guideline of alphabetically organizing), you have a built-in granular key: year, series, issue number. Any situations where you might need to add extra capacity are simply adding on a new box and marking it as 2012b or whatever, and don't require resizing an entire set of records.

You still have that minor problem of pulling entire runs, but it works pretty cleanly to access, especially if you note where specific sets come from in big year-spanning runs.

huntresssig.jpg
    I've started putting floppies in boxes and mailing them to Afghanistan.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I organise my floppies in these handy books called paperbacks

they fit so well on the shelf

plus spines, so you can find what you want to read really easily!

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Three ring binder + comic book binder sleeves + bookshelf = Tidy, well-organized comic collection.

Anything I don't have a full run of, I just keep in longboxes.

Acid-free sheet protectors can be used in lieu of comic-sized sleeves, and are cheaper. But, the comics sort of slide around in them, which bugs me.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I remember when I just had them split Marvel/DC/Other, then Marvel graduated to Spiderman/Avengers/Xmen boxes, DC to Batman/Superman, etc now it's at the point , I just stare blanly at the stack of long's, and go I should probably organize that someday... and that's as far as I get.

Nowadays I just try my best to at least keep arcs/events together, and even that's starting to slip.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Arivia wrote: »
    What do you do when you run out of space in, say, A-C? Add another box in and shuffle the entire thing?

edit: I keep going back to my archiving training in order to try and fix this but alphabetizing new scheduled accessions that need to be kept in series with stuff from further back in the schedule pretty much laughs right at institutional archiving.
    Pretty much. I haven't seriously collected comics in years, but that's what I did. Most of what I have comes from anything with Superman, Batman, Justice League, Aquaman, Hawkman and a few other things. So most of the boxes were pretty easy to organize before all of them got multiple reboots.

Still, it's only a problem with the mini-series and annuals. And only because I'm feeling lazy.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Right now, I have one alphabetized long box and four disorganized short boxes. I keep meaning to go in and add some measure of order to the chaos, but I am so very very lazy. Also, I am fully cognizant of the fact that I will never, ever pull those comics out again to read them; I am much more likely to just buy them again in trade if I want to reread. I keep meaning to switch to trades in general, but old habits die hard (plus, it's more fun to read the discussions on GV if I'm keeping up with the series).

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Comixology has a sale on a bunch of Superman books to commemorate Superman vs Elite DVD

http://www.comixology.com/Superman-Vs-The-Elite-Sale/comics-collection/423

From my understanding, Action Comics 775 is the issue where the battle itself takes place, but which other ones should I pick up if I want a better understanding of the story? and in what order should I read them?

775 is pretty self-contained, it's all you NEED to read.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Action #775 is the best and stand alone.

Joe Kelly spearheaded the Ending Battle story that goes like this
    Superman 186
    Adventures of 608
    Man of Steel 130
    Action 795
    Superman 187
    Adventures of 609
    Man of Steel 131
    Action 796

It's a very good follow up to Action #775, but if you wanted to you could just read Action Comics #796 alone to get another cool Superman is incorruptible moment.

And then you get JLA #100, and then the JLA Elite maxiseries.

Wow, long boxes are lonnnng.

huntresssig.jpg
  • VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a good iPad program for keeping your comic book collection? I've just used Word to keep a listing for years, but the wife is pushing for me to make use of my tablet. Currently using Evernote with the same list, but would prefer something that is actually made for tracking a collection.

steam_sig.png
    Visskar wrote: »
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a good iPad program for keeping your comic book collection? I've just used Word to keep a listing for years, but the wife is pushing for me to make use of my tablet. Currently using Evernote with the same list, but would prefer something that is actually made for tracking a collection.

Not aware of any such app, but why not upload the doc to Google Docs or put it in Dropbox?

steam_sig.png
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Visskar wrote: »

Collectorz

I gave it a shot on my desktop years ago. It's ok I guess, but I just remember it being a lot more of a pain in the ass than I was looking for (trying to catalogue 2000k + comics tends to be a timesink).

I believe there's an IPhone app, I've never used it but it might be a good place to start looking.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    bah. double post

Maximum on
    Wrapped up my first read of Watchmen tonight. If I were to track down a copy of the movie, which I'm going to do, which would be the version to get? Director's? Ultimate?

steam_sig.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    you know, I feel like the director's cut is just so needlessly long and padded without adding much to the story. I would only ever watch the theatrical cut again personally.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I am in need of comics-based assistance. I have always loved comics, but looking back, I realize I actually haven't read very many of them. I have knowledge about comics, like who characters are and what their general powers are, but my knowledge is very shallow, and probably not very up-to-date.

I recently purchased Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and, after showing it to my gaming group, they have basically flipped out and are firmly in when-are-we-playing-this-you're-going-to-run-a-game-right-now-don't-think-just-say-yes mode. I do indeed intend to run a game for them, but I need to beef up my comics knowledge first.

So to finally get to my question: What should I read to get up to snuff on the major events in the marvel multiverse? People say things like House of M, Civil War, and Planet Hulk and I have no idea what they're talking about. I actually did read the Schism miniseries, but without any context I didn't really know what any of it meant and I think my main questions were what happened to all the X-Men and why is Emma Frost not a villain anymore. Also, here's a list of characters that my group seems to identify with (not all of them are marvel characters):

Hulk
    Captain America
    Iron Man
    Catwoman
    Amethyst(?)
    Starfire
    Sentry
    Wonder Woman
    Martian Manhunter
    Runaways(?)
    SHIELD in general
    X-Men in general
    Avengers in general

If you have suggestions on good arcs or runs for those characters, I would really appreciate them.

TL;DR: Suggestions on important story arcs and events in Marvel, and general suggestions on good reads for the characters/groups listed above. Assume that I know very little, because I know very little.

Thanks!

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    You would be better off saying to hell with recent continuity and just doing whatever the hell you want with those characters.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    You would be better off saying to hell with recent continuity and just doing whatever the hell you want with those characters.

I will be setting the campaign in an alternate timeline (Earth-### or whatever), but I want to have events and milestones that I can draw on that will be familiar to them, because they will enjoy that.

I also want to read comic books, so suggestions would be appreciated.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Regarding events, Marvel events have been building on each other for the last seven years or so. Avengers Disassembled (2004) led to House of M (2005), which didn't really directly lead into the next event, but set up some things that are still happening. Civil War (2006) was followed by Planet Hulk and World War Hulk (2007), and then Secret Invasion (2008), which led to Dark Reign (2009) which led to Siege (2010) and Heroic Age (also 2010). Fear Itself happened in 2011, and now we have Avengers vs. X-Men this year. You could pick up the core books for any of those events off Amazon.

As far as Schism, what happened to the X-Men is that the Scarlet Witch went kind of crazy back in Disassembled, depowered a lot of mutants, and prevented any more mutant babies from being born. Emma Frost has actually been a good guy since the mid-90s. I haven't read any of those stories, though.

You've listed a lot of characters, and honestly most of them have quite a few good arcs you could read.

For Hulk, most people agree that you could jump on with Planet Hulk and World War Hulk, and if you want to read more, you can start Greg Pak's run with Son of Banner.

For Captain America, a good story to read would be Captain America: Man Out of Time, and you could follow that up with Ed Brubaker's Eisner-winning run, starting with The Winter Soldier.

For Iron Man, I'd recommend picking up the Invincible Iron Man Omnibus, vol. 1, which is the beginning of the Iron Man stories that Matt Fraction is still writing, and are pretty great.

For Catwoman, you're going to want to read Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke's recent Catwoman series, starting with Trail of the Catwoman.

For Runaways, just read Brian K. Vaughn's original Runaways series, starting with volume 1.

For SHIELD, I would definitely recommend reading Jonathan Hickman's Secret Warriors, and once you're done with that, follow it up with SHIELD.: Architects of Forever.

For the X-Men, read Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. It's a really fun short series.

For Avengers, read Kurt Busiek's run on the title, starting with Volume 1. It's good stuff.

I'm afraid I can't really help much with the other characters you've listed, though.

Centipede Damascus on