As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Supernatural]: It's Super, in an unnatural way

saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
SupernaturalTitleCard.png

Supernatural is a show that is now entering it's 3rd season on CW.

The show follows brothers Sam and Dean Winchester, who travel across the country in a black 1967 Chevy Impala investigating and combatting paranormal events and other unexplained occurrences, many of them based on American urban legends and folklore as well as classic supernatural creatures such as vampires, werewolves and ghosts.

The show is basically a more teen/young adult version of the X-Files. Each week Sam and Dean travel across the US, battle the undead, and usually at least one of the two brothers hooks up.

The storyline is a nice mixture of episodic combined with several underlying story arcs.

There is also a pre-quel comic series called Supernatural: Origins which I haven't picked up yet, but will be doing so. It fills in the early years of how Sam and Dean became "Hunters".

Enjoy! I've seen a couple people say "We should make a Supernatural thead!" a couple times over the past few days, so I took it upon myself to royally mess up it's creation.

banner_160x60_01.gif
saint2e on

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yay supernatural thread!

So I have only watched season 1, but I have to say I like Dean the best, he's always the take no prisoners brother while Sam wants to understand shit.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Woah, woah. NOW entering its 3rd season? Its coming back already?

And yes, the show does rock. The first season was good but unfortunately it just wasn't a series I could watch more than once. Not because they were bad, but just because they weren't worth giving more than the initial time for. The second series turned out even better though. Much more interesting plot twists and new dynamics between the characters.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just started watching this a few weeks ago, and finished yesterday. Good timing.

The second season was great, and I'm hoping they spend a lot of time next season developing the unresolved plot arcs.
    I mean, right now they're being hunted by

Gordon
    A bunch of Hunters ( for when possessed Sam killed one of them )
    The long arm of the law ( "Night Shifter" was an awesome awesome episode )
    Meg and various other demons
    The vampire girl whose boyfriend was killed with the Colt. I heard she was supposed to show up again in season 2.

They put all those arcs on the back burner in favor of wrapping up the yellow eyed demon, which I approve of: big villains often get stale if they're around for more than a year or two. But they'd better get to them in season 3.

Plus they snuck in the fact that the Winchester's mother knew the demon. I'm betting season 3 will reveal that Samuel Colt was the boys' great-great-grandfather or something on their mother's side.

Cantide on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Season finale ruled.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Cantide wrote: »
    I just started watching this a few weeks ago, and finished yesterday. Good timing.

The second season was great, and I'm hoping they spend a lot of time next season developing the unresolved plot arcs.

Gordon
    The vampire girl whose boyfriend was killed with the Colt. I heard she was supposed to show up again in season 2.

They put all those arcs on the back burner in favor of wrapping up the yellow eyed demon, which I approve of: big villains often get stale if they're around for more than a year or two. But they'd better get to them in season 3.

Plus they snuck in the fact that the Winchester's mother knew the demon. I'm betting season 3 will reveal that Samuel Colt was the boys' great-great-grandfather or something on their mother's side.

Megs dead. She died in the last ep of season 1 I'm fairly sure. They don't survive having the demon ripped out of them. In fact I'm pretty sure she was dead prior to her possession.

And who was Gordon?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does it get better with the second season?

I found the first one good, but not compelling. There wasn't anything bad about it, but I just really didn't feel any urge to watch it again after I stopped. It reminded me of the X-Files, but without the hook to keep me coming back.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Gordon

Megs dead. She died in the last ep of season 1 I'm fairly sure. They don't survive having the demon ripped out of them. In fact I'm pretty sure she was dead prior to her possession.

And who was Gordon?

Gordon was the Hunter who was killing the pacifist vampires. He started hunting Sam after he found out about his powers.

When I said Meg, I was referring to the demon possessing her. When she showed up in season 2 possessing Sam, Dean referred to her as Meg.

Cantide on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i loved the first couple episodes. but i started not liking where the story was going. but thats just me though, im not saying that the story is terrible. im just really really sick and tired of "chosen one" story lines. when that was announced in the first season, my excitement factor for the show dropped heavily.

i love the rough tough tumble, ghost ass kicking factor of the show. i see it as a second tier horror movie for an hour. cuz it does have great scare moments. but one thing i do wish for the show, more salty shotgun on ghosts. a lot of the time it doesnt work. another thing i dont like is how they need their dad's book to solve their problems. i was under the impression that dean was a hunter for a long time. dont tell me he's just been using salt that entire time...

in any case, great show, cheap thrills, hot chicks (especially that one under the water tower that had the dogs), wish it had less main story line, more ghost ass kicking and shotgun salt shootin.

btw, the bee episode was filmed at my house

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    delphinus wrote: »
    i loved the first couple episodes. but i started not liking where the story was going. but thats just me though, im not saying that the story is terrible. im just really really sick and tired of "chosen one" story lines. when that was announced in the first season, my excitement factor for the show dropped heavily.

i love the rough tough tumble, ghost ass kicking factor of the show. i see it as a second tier horror movie for an hour. cuz it does have great scare moments. but one thing i do wish for the show, more salty shotgun on ghosts. a lot of the time it doesnt work. another thing i dont like is how they need their dad's book to solve their problems. i was under the impression that dean was a hunter for a long time. dont tell me he's just been using salt that entire time...

in any case, great show, cheap thrills, hot chicks (especially that one under the water tower that had the dogs), wish it had less main story line, more ghost ass kicking and shotgun salt shootin.

These things might happen weekly in hour formats for us but not for them. Most of teh things they meet are meant to be insanely rare, such that Dean hasn't ever met most of them during his time as a hunter. Possession seems to be quite common but things like changelings and werewolves. I mean from what I remember, a werewolf only came about from eating another human and then living in the woods for ages. Something like that.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

He's not the Chosen one, but just one of out many. It get's totally more badass as the episodes go on though, really worth at least a watch past the first few episodes because it really picks up.

At your house? Wow, how'd that work out? Wait, that was the episode with the new housing development, so you moved in after I'm assuming.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It started airing on Danish television a while back, and I was amazed at how good it was, combined with the fact that I had never, ever heard of it. And I'd like to think I'm pretty knowledgable about TV shows. I don't understand why I haven't seen any type of cult following squirming around the net, as it seems a natural fit for this type of show. The mind boggles.

Anyway, I haven't gotten the DVDs yet, but I definitely will, 'cause it's pretty damn great. Glad to hear it's doing well enough to get a 3rd season.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, I'm not sure how far along I am in the show

I thought I'd finished season 2 but I can't recall.

Last episode I remember is
    the one with the zombie-infection town where the demon possesses people and makes them disappear and Sam is immune to the zombie juju.

Edit: Wait, the last one I saw is Born Under a Bad Sign, where Sam is all mean and stuff. Okay, I gotta catch up.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I quite like it. Waiting for this and Smallville to start back up again. It's one of maybe half a dozen shows I actually follow episode to episode.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Narian wrote: »

He's not the Chosen one, but just one of out many. It get's totally more badass as the episodes go on though, really worth at least a watch past the first few episodes because it really picks up.

At your house? Wow, how'd that work out? Wait, that was the episode with the new housing development, so you moved in after I'm assuming.
    no. i pay some attention to the show, sure i miss an ep here and there, but yeah i have been watching the seasons. i just get let down because they still have SUCH and awesome premise for the show, but then start throwing cliche nonsense like "last season sam and dean hunted alone this season, they'll learn theyre not alone in the hunt". man, theyre not even finished fleshing out sam and dean, we dont need a combat experienced bartender, plucky daughter, and nerdy fixit guy who dropped out of university because he's too smart.

i dont want a show where the bros have mysterious super powers. i think that cheapens the idea that humans can fight back...there i think thats what i hated about it. that they started giving them powers.

I love this show, i just hate where it goes and is going. last good episode i enjoyed was the movie studio episode. fun spookiness without non-interesting main story.

remember where that guy falls in and dies in the beginning of the bee ep? my house is on the other side of the camera.

best eps for me to watch:
    first ep where they fight the white lady
    the hitch hiker chick
    the scarecrow thing
    and bloody mary

all those eps: stand alone episodes where they just drive around a kick ass.

delphinus on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm like...halfway into the first season hoping it's going to pick up.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only thing I know about this show's second season is that they killed off
    Katherine Isabelle
    , which was a huge mistake, as
    she
    is smoking hot.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You should probably spoiler that.

Dummy.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

no. i pay some attention to the show, sure i miss an ep here and there, but yeah i have been watching the seasons. i just get let down because they still have SUCH and awesome premise for the show, but then start throwing cliche nonsense like "last season sam and dean hunted alone this season, they'll learn theyre not alone in the hunt". man, theyre not even finished fleshing out sam and dean, we dont need a combat experienced bartender, plucky daughter, and nerdy fixit guy who dropped out of university because he's too smart.

i dont want a show where the bros have mysterious super powers. i think that cheapens the idea that humans can fight back...there i think thats what i hated about it. that they started giving them powers.

I love this show, i just hate where it goes and is going. last good episode i enjoyed was the movie studio episode. fun spookiness without non-interesting main story.

remember where that guy falls in and dies in the beginning of the bee ep? my house is on the other side of the camera.

the hitch hiker chick
    the scarecrow thing
    and bloody mary

They're not mysterious super powers. The Red-Eyed Demon chose a bunch of kids who were born (insert Sams birthday) as his potential generals in his army, and the person who could cross Colt's railway lines surrounding a gateway to Hell since they were not demons but humans.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007

the hitch hiker chick
    the scarecrow thing
    and bloody mary

They're not mysterious super powers. The Red-Eyed Demon chose a bunch of kids who were born (insert Sams birthday) as his potential generals in his army, and the person who could cross Colt's railway lines surrounding a gateway to Hell since they were not demons but humans.

the characters seemed more likable to me as normal human beings kicking supernatural asses, without the aid of non-human powers. that's me, and thats why i stopped liking the show as much as i did. i hope they drop the idea because i kind of like where season 2 left off
    i wouldnt care if same kept his mind powers because its too late to go back now, and they have to progress the storyline somehow. dean finding a way to get back on a deal seems more intersting, hope they dont let me down. the fetch quest for the other powered up kids got old.

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    3rd Season mini-Spoilers (casting news):
    Supernatural has filled one of the two new female series regular roles.

Katie Cassidy -- the 20-year-old daughter of '70s teen idol David Cassidy -- has been tapped to play Ruby, a fellow demon hunter Sam and Dean meet in the show's third season premiere. In the casting breakdown, the character is described as "sexy, brutal and ruthless."

My thoughts?
    I just hope these are recurring characters, and they don't join Sam and Dean permanently. I thought the way they did the bar, with the bartender and her daughter was good: they were helping them out, but in an indirect way for the most part. Still, good to see some new blood.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Alona Tal's character was pretty awesome. For some reason I can't quite remember whether she's alive or got booted in some other episode.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Alona Tal's character was pretty awesome. For some reason I can't quite remember whether she's alive or got booted in some other episode.
    She's back as a recurring character, thank goodness. I liked her, and the dynamic she brings. I hope she's going to be out and about on a similar "quests", now that the bar is destroyed.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I seriously hope they expand on the zombie virus idea.

What I basically want is a huge homage to RE4, complete with knife-fights, chainsaw wielding men in burlap sacks, a creepy Merchant that sells them a bit of firepower, perhaps a guy named Luis.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ... Uh... what?

devoir on
  • Options
    Alchemist449Alchemist449 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know I wanted to look into this but all it looked like to me was a less sciency more angsty x-files. Am I wrong?

Alchemist449 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Less science, sure. More action, more goosebump moments (at least for me). I don't know about angsty. X-Files had all that FBI and hidden government stuff going on in the background. This has more interpersonal stuff between the two brothers and the other major characters that float to the surface every now and again.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ... Uh... what?

What's wrong with that?

At least some zombies would be nice.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Iriah wrote: »
    ... Uh... what?

What's wrong with that?

Oh. The way I read what was posted was that there was a zombie virus already in the series that the writers should expand upon.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ... Uh... what?

What's wrong with that?

Oh. The way I read what was posted was that there was a zombie virus already in the series that the writers should expand upon.

There was a virus that infected about 10 people earlier on.

But I want real zombies.

Iriah on
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ... Uh... what?

What's wrong with that?

There was a virus that infected about 10 people earlier on.

But I want real zombies.

Ganados =/= Zombies.

I'd love a zombie movie incorporating Crimson Heads (or something similar). They're walking through a room with some dead zombies, and then out of nowhere they turn into the crazy ass super zombies.

*Ahem*

Supernatural's pretty good. Fav ep has to be the shape shifting-bank robbery one.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like the snappy dialog.
    * Man, You fugly.

* I hope your apple pie is frickin' worth it!

* Awwwwkwaaarrrrddd

* I really should've cleaned the pipes!

And what ever the Yellow Eyed demon said, something like:

* My! I am amazed by this shocking turn of events!

And the fact that they in-reference so much.

Sam being in Gilmore Girls.
    And the greatest Simpsons Episode ever
    Sam mentions that the previous cases were in the locations as being "Put on the map" in the Monorail episode, North Habberbrook, Ogdenville etc.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My wife and I first started watching this show because it just happened to be on after Smallville. We're really glad we did. It's become one of our favorite shows now.

The episode with:
    The Jin (is that the spelling?) that showed Dean the alternate life where his mother was still alive and him and Sam weren't hunters was one of the best episodes of television in the last 10 years. I'm pretty sure it was the episode before the 2 part finale. Jensen Ackles was freaking great in that episode. He does both serious and comedy really well. Glad he improved from his time on Smallville.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    My wife and I first started watching this show because it just happened to be on after Smallville. We're really glad we did. It's become one of our favorite shows now.

The episode with:
    The Jin (is that the spelling?) that showed Dean the alternate life where his mother was still alive and him and Sam weren't hunters was one of the best episodes of television in the last 10 years. I'm pretty sure it was the episode before the 2 part finale. Jensen Ackles was freaking great in that episode. He does both serious and comedy really well. Glad he improved from his time on Smallville.

Oh, I remember that. It made me a little torn up inside when you see what he's willing to give up any kind of happiness to do what he knows is right.
    The spelling is Djinn I believe, as in Djinni or the bastardisation Genie.

devoir on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Katherine Isabelle
    she
    is smoking hot.

Who was she again?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    My favorite exchange has got to be in the killer clown episode:

Dean: I know what you're thinking: Why did it have to be clowns!
    Sam: Gimme a break.
    Dean: You didn't think I remembered, did you. Come on, man, you still bust out crying when you see Ronald McDonald on the television.
    Sam: At least I'm not afraid of flying.
    Dean: Planes crash!
    Sam: And apparently clowns kill!

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Katherine Isabelle
    she
    is smoking hot.

Who was she again?

Ava. One of the chosen kids. Dunno why people use their real names in referring to them, like any of us know who they are.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My favorite exchange has got to be in the killer clown episode:

Dean: I know what you're thinking: Why did it have to be clowns!
    Sam: Gimme a break.
    Dean: You didn't think I remembered, did you. Come on, man, you still bust out crying when you see Ronald McDonald on the television.
    Sam: At least I'm not afraid of flying.
    Dean: Planes crash!
    Sam: And apparently clowns kill!

That's hilarious, god damn can't wait for second season to come out on dvd.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh man the Djinn episode is awesome.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Katherine Isabelle
    she
    is smoking hot.

Who was she again?

Ava. One of the chosen kids. Dunno why people use their real names in referring to them, like any of us know who they are.

Was it just me, or did she look horrible during the first episode in the ghost town? I thought she was being played up as a zombie for a bit there.

It's a horrible thing to say, commenting on someone's appearance like that, but I was really taken aback when I realised who she was and how different she looked.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, she's...she's not smoking hot. She was also a lot fatter in the later eps.

Evil Multifarious on