As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

House of Flying DOODLES (Occasionally NSFW)

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Needs more contrast on the cloth.
    Also you could try making the details less blurry, ya?

Mayday on
  • StudioZELStudioZEL ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mayday wrote: »

Less blurry in the cloth? Or the whole thing?

StudioZEL on
    edited July 2007
    The whole thing. The eyes and nose strike me most (strike me as too blurry, that is).
    The colours are pretty fine though.

Mayday on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    StudioZEL wrote: »

Less blurry in the cloth? Or the whole thing?

Probably the whole thing, the face/hair is a bit blurry as well.

Edit: yeah what mayday said.

Prospicience on
  • StudioZELStudioZEL ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The whole thing. The eyes and nose strike me most (strike me as too blurry, that is).
    The colours are pretty fine though.

Thanks, I'll go back and work on that.

StudioZEL on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The whole thing needs to be sharper, but the hair especially, it almost looks like the hair has some kind of motion blur filter on it. There is hardly any value variation along the length of the hair. You've also got the straw-hair thing going on that happens when you go on a wild goose chase after individual strands while ignoring the big picture.

The hair is casting no shadows on his face.

Even for an anime-inspired character, his hair does not fall very convincingly and there are more than a few strands which are totally straight like a board for the entire length of his face. Without gale-force winds that does -not- happen naturally. Gravity is the name of the game here, look at some women's hairstyles if you really need a hand at figuring out how a thick head of hair falls.

The eye looks like it's being pulled out of proportion by a fishhook in the corner.

The cloth bunching around his neck is almost totally made up. You have it bunching and folding like it's almost a sweat-shirt type thick fabric yet at the neck we see it's paper-thin. Even if the fabric is supposed to be thick the folds aren't quite right. The two buckles on the neck also appear to serve absolutely no purpose.

Final observation, maybe not a crit, but you've decided to give him some peculiarly rugged features (namely the nose, the harsh lip-divot beneath the nose, and what appears to be stubble) for a piece of Vincent Fanart.

Scosglen on
  • xbainxxbainx Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so how do I post pictures? there's no ATTACH option. Don't call me a noob just help me out.

xbainx on
  • Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Upload to photobucket or another picture hosting site and copy-paster the code.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    bbcode link

Grifter on
    edited July 2007
    Doodlin' around, hoping to come up with something interesting for Overworld
    mons.jpg

Mayday on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay I started on the colors... I'm kinda new to the tablet go easy on me ;)

I know the colors are garish and bright now, but when i add the other elements I'll start playing with effects.
    sketch7xd6.gif

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    rocklw3.jpg

Trying to get a hang of the tablet, also just some color practice. I know, it's crap, I promise it'll look better by tomorrow night. I'm just out of practice and trying to apply new things I've learned to the tablet isn't happening right away. I'm pretty ashamed to post this, but I'm only doing so for before and after purposes, of course.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Finally picked up the ol' tablet again, 2 hour speedpaint. Linked for V-Scroll:

dystopiaconceptcs1ej9.th.jpg

I really don't know how some of you, and some of the people on ConceptArt's forums, can make it look so damned easy. :cry:

Kami on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    you mean H-scroll, linked for H-scroll.

Compositionally the space between the guys head and the left edge of the peice is kind of awkward, as is the black bit in the upper left corner.

Greatnation on
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    you mean H-scroll, linked for H-scroll.

Compositionally the space between the guys head and the left edge of the peice is kind of awkward, as is the black bit in the upper left corner.

<3

Also, getting scrolls mixed up at 2 am is my favorite hobby.

The picture was so long, I wanted to do one of those great conceptual 'sweeping' landscapes. Yeah, I'm not quite there yet. :lol:

Kami on
  • MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Doodle that I probably won't do anything with.

gojirra.gif

Moss on
  • Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    OH PLEASE DO, MOSS. I WOULD TOTALLY BUY ONE. PPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEE.

Lewis Rice on
  • AbunaiAbunai Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would totally buy that one too. And that zelda one from another thread too.

Abunai on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Do you just impose it on a guy posing, or do you do a test print?

bombardier on
  • MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Super impose!

Moss on
    edited July 2007
    I guess regular imposing just isn't good enough for you!

bombardier on
  • multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If it was on a black shirt, I'd get it, and several people I know would as well. So there's that.

multimoog on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like it except the squirt coming from his mouth is kinda weird. Also black shirt? I never EVER buy black tshirts ... can't stand em.

edit: I assume the squirt is intentional and a reference to something I just don't get?

Lly on
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That shirt is rad Moss, and Lly I think its supposed to be Godzilla's fire breath, but like keeping with the whole wave form.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • ScrewjackScrewjack Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    This is a webcomic I've just started for a lark. Putting it in the doodle thread mostly because I didn't really spend much time on it yet, and it's my first time using Photoshop too (CS3).

FreedomFriesAreNowALittleBitMoreDel.jpg

Screwjack on
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    relationshitnf9.jpg

Spoilered for v scroll rape :D

Short comic for the 4chan ms paint relationship thread.

Also a true story, >D

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    tony jaa told you to do it?!!?! ;)

Prospicience on
    edited July 2007
    tony jaa told you to do it?!!?! ;)

Yes

He told me to DOOOO EET

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Best punchline ever.

TheBog on
    edited July 2007
    So I'm teaching myself to draw Disney ducks to prepare for a job drawing some comic book covers.

ducks.gif

It's so fucking hard trying to get the proportions on some of these characters right.

multimoog on
    edited July 2007
    TheBog wrote: »
    Best punchline ever.

Yes,

Yes it is.

Jojo's bizarre adventure is also awesome.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
    edited July 2007
    Haha, that stuff's awesome moog, :^: for Donalds.

bombardier on
  • The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    TheBog wrote: »
    Best punchline ever.
    Oh my god, yes. Nice work, The One Dark Knight. My nose was bleeding when I was reading it, and when I saw the ending, it made me laugh and spill more blood (like when milk comes out of your nose, only, it was blood... gross I know, but it was that funny).

Keep up the good work. :^:

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
    edited July 2007
    Thanks, Bombardier. I'm curious to know what some of the European people here think, as Disney ducks are like cultural institutions over there - the comics are a hundred times more popular than they are here, and I might end up illustrating some covers for European duck stories.

multimoog on
  • UltravisitorUltravisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Mepaint.jpg

I know I've seen you before...

464659962_d015bea0a2_o.jpg

aha!:lol:

nice pic though, keep it up ;]

Ultravisitor on
    flcl1-1.jpg
  • Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    First self-portrait in like, forever!
    mecroppedth0.jpg
    A photo was used as a reference.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • mickemicke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    gotta love speed paint

wtf2.png

micke on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    I posted this in Mayday's thread but figured I'm more likely to get crits here. There are things that I'm not happy so any CnC would be much appreciated.

mayday4.jpg

Lly on
    edited July 2007
    Lly, I love how richly textured your paintings are, it's especially visible in this one, (for which I'm gargantually thankful :D.
    How do you do it?

If I were to crit it (which feels pretty weird), my problem would be how it ends abruptly on the left edge of the face, making it look a bit like a cardboard cutout in that part.

Mayday on
    edited July 2007
    Yeah I got really stumped with the front of his face, and then gave up and called it finished! I think it's that I did the brow, nose and mouth as if they were slightly facing towards us, but the rest is a dead on profile .... i dunno.

As for the textures, which I'm glad you like <3, it's basically me fucking around with custom brushes on various layers of different layer types (overlay,hue, soft light etc). I basically blag it, dreaming of being as good as the pros like Vyle and the likes.

Lly on
This discussion has been closed.