As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TOURNAMENT CENTRAL: RULES AND MORE!

Son of BeyonderSon of Beyonder From BeyondBeyondRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Graphic Violence
THE BRACKET:

MATCH A:
Batman vs. Lobo vs. Gladiator vs. Yellowjacket vs. Metamorpho vs. Hourman (Rex Tyler) vs. Darkdevil vs. Bigby Wolf

MATCH B:

Superman vs. Colossus vs. Ultimate Nick Fury vs. Deadpool vs. Ms. Marvel vs. Mimic (Exiles) vs. Black Canary vs. Boy Blue

MATCH C:

Captain America vs. Batgirl vs. Fairchild vs. She-Hulk vs. Cardiac vs. Daredevil vs. Citizen V vs. Aztek, the Ultimate Man

MATCH D:

Iron Man vs. American Dream vs. Midnighter vs. Azrael vs. Captain Canuck vs. Red Tornado vs. Blink vs. Deathcry

MATCH E:

Martian Manhunter vs. Wolverine vs. Vision vs. Liz Sherman vs. Chamber vs. Luke Cage vs. Moon Knight vs. Adam Strange

MATCH F:

Wonder Woman vs. Zenith vs. Allen the Alien vs. Ghost Rider vs. Scud, the Disposable Assassin vs. Iron Fist vs. Michael “Desolation” Jones, vs. The Atom (Ray Palmer)

MATCH G:

Rogue vs. Iceman vs. Invincible vs. Human Bomb vs. Speedball vs. Jolt vs. M (Monet St. Croix) vs. Conan the Cimmerian

MATCH H:

Juggernaut vs. Invisible Woman vs. Green Arrow vs. Hawkeye vs. Havok vs. King Mob vs. Ambrose Chase vs. Northstar

MATCH I:

Hulk (Gladiator) vs. Magneto vs. Spider-Girl vs. Arsenal vs. Captain Britain vs. Impulse vs. Cosmic Boy vs. Blue Beetle

MATCH J

Thing vs. Plastic Man vs. Nightwing vs. Spider-Man vs. Emma Frost vs. Machine Man vs. Animal Man vs. Nocturne

MATCH K:

Apollo vs. Punisher vs. Cloak vs. The Great Machine vs. Robotman vs. Jakita Wagner vs. Ultimate Gambit vs. the Shade

MATCH L:

Sunfire vs. Hawkingbird vs. Uncle Sam vs. Cyclops vs. Green Lantern (Guy Gardner) vs. Jeff Smax vs. Judge Dredd vs. Shadowcat

MATCH M:

Thor vs. Superboy (Connor Kent) vs. Flash (Jay Garrick) vs. the Sandman (Wesley Dodds) vs. the Question vs. Grunge vs. Lobster Johnson vs. Thunderbird (Exiles)

MATCH N:

Captain Marvel (Billy Batson) vs. Gravity vs. Starman vs. Multiple Man vs. Beak vs. Molly Hayes vs. Mr. Fantastic vs. Domino

MATCH O:

Namor vs. Nightcrawler vs. Hellboy vs. Blue Devil vs. the Goon vs. the Demon, Etrigan vs. John Constantine vs. Darkhawk

MATCH P:

Aquaman vs. Scarlet Witch vs. Cable vs. the Spirit vs. Morph (Exiles) vs. Black Knight vs. Elijah Snow vs. Kevin Matchstick

ROUND TWO MATCHUPS:

MATCH A:

Batman vs. Elijah Snow vs. Invisible Woman vs. Magneto

MATCH B:

Superman vs. Namor vs. Invincible vs. Plastic Man

MATCH C:

Captain America vs. Mr. Fantastic vs. Wonder Woman vs. Cloak

MATCH D:

Blink vs. the Flash vs. Vision vs. Shadowcat

MATCH E:

Martian Manhunter vs. Green Lantern vs. Iron Man vs. Thor

MATCH F:

Ghost Rider vs. Shade vs. Aztek vs. Captain Marvel

MATCH G:

Rogue vs. Spider-Man vs. Deadpool vs. John Constantine

MATCH H:

Ambrose Chase vs. Hulk vs. Bigby Wolf vs. Cable

ROUND THREE MATCHUPS

MATCH A

Superman vs. Captain Marvel vs. Magneto vs. Bigby Wolf

MATCH B

Invisible Woman vs. Shadowcat vs. Spider-Man vs. Blink

MATCH C

Hulk vs. Thor vs. Namor vs. Martian Manhunter

MATCH D

Wonder Woman vs. Rogue vs. Captain America vs. Shade

5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
Son of Beyonder on

• Son of BeyonderSon of Beyonder From Beyond BeyondRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    HOW THIS WILL WORK:

Each battle will have its own thread. In each thread, I will provide pictures and a brief overview of each contestant, followed by any extra information that may apply to the characters. Each thread will also contain the portion of Battleworld the fight will take place on.

Following that post, you have 24 hours to discuss the battle and the competitors. Once those 24 hours are up, a poll will be set up, and you will vote on who you think will be the last hero standing in the fight. In the first round, there will be eight competitors, and in each subsequent round, there will be 4. The two heroes who receive the most votes within twenty-four hours will move on to the next round.

Following the battle, a recap thread for the day’s battles will be posted. Forumers are encouraged to add to the recap with their own writing or art, or they may simply observe and comment on the proceedings. However, those who wish to ridicule those who do take part will be dealt with. This is meant to be a fun event for the forum, but that does not entitle you to be dicks.

BATTLEWORLD:

Battleworld is where the tournament will take place. It consists of parts of planets from around this universe and others take place. It also contains many labs, libraries and other places that will serve as places for the heroes to prepare. Where each hero is allowed to prepare at will be described in each battle thread.

Since multiple fights may be occurring simultaneously, each battle will take place on a different portion of Battleworld. Which portion they will battle over will be assigned randomly and again, described in each thread.

PREP TIME:

Heroes are notified of their opponents and given two hours to prepare for battle. They may consult with provided advisors, such as Dr. Strange or Alfred. Which advisors are available to which heroes will again be revealed in each thread.

THE RULES OF THE BATTLE:

Each battle is a last man standing style battle, meaning the two heroes who outlast elimination the longest will be proclaimed the champions and move on to the next round. Different ways characters may be eliminated are as follows:

1) Death
    2) Knocked out
    3) Removed from battle
    4) Resignation or forfeit
    5) Permanent loss of powers
    6) Intentionally causing the death of bystanders

In the case of heroes with multiple heroic identities, the information posted at the beginning of the thread is the final authority as to which identity is present.

UPDATED SCHEDULE:

Two battles will begin each Monday night. Voting opens on Tuesday night, and results are posted on Wedensday night.

NEW RULES FOR ROUND TWO:

The amount of competitors per match has been reduced to four. The top two vote getters will still advance.

Before each match, competitors may watch videos of TWO of their opponents. This means they will not be able to view videos of all of their opponents.

Preparation time is reduced to twenty minutes. This is in addition to the video viewing times. Competitors who choose to abstain from watching the videos are still restricted to a twenty minute prep time.

NEW DISQUALIFICATION RULE:

Competitors may NOT eliminate all of their opponents at once. This means that flash-freezing, mind raping and exploding all of your competitors in one fell swoop is not allowed. Competitors who eliminate all of their opponents seperately are exempt from disqualification. If a competitor is disqualified in this way, the match will restart without that competitor.

NEW EQUIPMENT RULE:

Competitors may bring their standard equipment (i.e. the Great Machine’s jetpack, Batman’s utility belt) and ONE special item, such as kryptonite. Competitors may not bring items that would make them over powered by the nomination rules (i.e. Reed Richards would not be able to bring the Ultimate Nullifier).

NEW RULES FOR ROUND THREE:

NEW RULE NUMBER ONE

Heroes may consult with one advisor. This advisor must be someone they have ties to before the tournament. Heroes half one half hour to converse with their advisors in addition to their video watching time and their standard twenty minute prep time. Advisors may help a hero prepare equipment, come up with strategies, and prepare anything else the hero is capable of preparing.

NEW RULE NUMBER TWO

Debate threads may not necessarily be open for twenty-four hours pre-fight. All voting threads will be opened at 11:00 pm Central time the day after debate threads are open. Note: if a debate thread is started from midnight to 7:00 am Central time, voting will open that night at eleven. There are no changes to voting.

Son of Beyonder on
    5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
    edited August 2006
    THIS THREAD IS FOR GENERAL DISCUSSION, AND WILL BE UPDATED AS THE TOURNAMENT PROGRESSES

Son of Beyonder on
    5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This is going to be more awesome than hot awesome pie with cold awescream.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    did... did batman already win?

In any case, this sounds awesome

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • tombomb666tombomb666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I am so excited that I just pooped my pants a little bit...oop... little more.

tombomb666 on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Does Boy Blue have the witching cloak and the vorpal sword?

Mai-Kero on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    interesting

Spider-Man and Animal Man

is Spidey enough spider that animal man could possibly "borrow" his powers?

nightwing, well, he's a tool. but eh.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Does Boy Blue have the witching cloak and the vorpal sword?

When I nominated him I said with Vorpal Sword and witching cloak. So I command he does.

Cariblue on
    edited August 2006
    interesting

In Ask Whippy something was said about how if he were to try take the abilities of a meta-human they would get the abilities of a normal human because he would take the abilities of his species from the habisphere as opposed to taking them from the target directly.

tombomb666 on
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    interesting

That match looks pretty interesting :/

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    tombomb666 wrote:
    interesting

In Ask Whippy something was said about how if he were to try take the abilities of a meta-human they would get the abilities of a normal human because he would take the abilities of his species from the habisphere as opposed to taking them from the target directly.

BUT if he was near someone like superman or j'onn j'onnz

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I must say Im a bit impressed by the organization of this thing. The only problem I can see is that it may get a bit 'hectic' trying to discuss 8-9 man battles.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
    edited August 2006
    oh man i didn't even realize the shade was on here!

I'M BACKING THE SHADE, BITCHES

THE SHADE ALL THE WAY

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    A few of these battles it's easy to pick out at least one person who is assured to win, but for most it really could be anyone's game. Match J in particular is made of win.

Good work, Beyonder. Very impressive indeed.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Uncle Sam wants you..

To bleed...

Fuckers

unclesam.jpg

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    isn't gladiator hulk weaker than regular hulk

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited August 2006
    Servo wrote:
    tombomb666 wrote:
    interesting

BUT if he was near someone like superman or j'onn j'onnz

Someone said that he syncs up with the morphogenetic sphere of the planet thaty he is on, so he would have to be on Mars to take J'onn's or to be on Krypton to take that of a kryptonian, and he were to be on Krypton (had it still existed) to take on the the traits on a Kryptonian.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=198411&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1525

tombomb666 on
    edited August 2006
    I WOULD LIKE TO REQUEST THAT SOMEONE SEND ME A PM CONTAINING IMAGES OF BOY BLUE AND BIGBY WOLF THAT COULD BE USED AS AN IDENTIFICATION PICTURE FOR THEIR UPCOMING MATCHES

Son of Beyonder on
    5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Some general comments:

Superman and Ms. Marvel in the same match will be interesting. How strong is Carol Danvers, relatively speaking?

Martian Manhunter and Liz Sherman. Not ending well for J'onn unless he makes with the mind control. Not ending well for several other people if he does, assuming this is post-power up Liz.

I can see Plastic Man cleaning up Match J. He can nullify a lot of physical powers, and he's immune to telepathy.

Green Arrow vs. Hawkeye. That was done on purpose. I know it.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited August 2006
    Hmm... I wonder if the "psychic" abilities of Spider-Man's Symbiote help resist psychic attacks.

SA on
    edited August 2006
    Spidey's not wearing his symbiote for this.

Not his Iron Man suit either. I'm assuming he's just wearing the plain old red and blues.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    As much as I love Hellblazer, I don't really see what John Constantine can do against superpowered hero types, even if he is a right bastard. I guess he can blow smoke in their face until they get cancer, but it might take a while. Though the fact that he's in the bracket with Etrigan, Hellboy, and Blue Devil (all "hellish" type demons, arguably), makes it a bit more interesting, provided it is done right. Thats a group to keep an eye on.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Unless there was a last minute change to the roster, it was the Symbiote costume Spider-Man.

Scooter on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    As much as I love Hellblazer, I don't really see what John Constantine can do against superpowered hero types, even if he is a right bastard. I guess he can blow smoke in their face until they get cancer, but it might take a while. Though the fact that he's in the bracket with Etrigan, Hellboy, and Blue Devil (all "hellish" type demons, arguably), makes it a bit more interesting, provided it is done right. Thats a group to keep an eye on.

John Constantine can use magic. He's nearly as good at it as zantanna isn't he? Also very charismatic.

Mai-Kero on
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Unless there was a last minute change to the roster, it was the Symbiote costume Spider-Man.
    No shit? It should say that, then.

Harrier on
    edited August 2006
    I mean, I would have said Cosmic Spider-Man, but that's just being a dick.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:

John Constantine can use magic. He's nearly as good at it as zantanna isn't he? Also very charismatic.

Does Zatanna have any limits? If she can say something backwards, she can do it, it seems. Constantine at least needs to do spells and rituals and stuff.

Scooter on
    edited August 2006
    Love the new avatar/sig combo shoe.

I was playing Dead Rising with "Don't Stop Me Now" playing in the dashboard earlier today.

SA on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Matches I'll be watching with interest:

Match B: Two of my favorite characters here (Deadpool and Colossus [on that note, is Colossus the 616 or Ultimate version?]). But they're both against Superman, not to mention Ms. Marvel.

E: This one's gonna be huge.

H: Green Arrow vs. Hawkeye, yes, but let's see how they stack up against the Juggernaut, not to mention Sue Storm or Havok.

L: Uncle Sam! USA USA USA!

O: Mutants, Demons, and Thugs, oh my! I personally hope the Goon and Hellboy kick some Atlantean ass, but they're up against some stiff competition with Nightcrawler, Blue Demon, and Etrigan. John Constantine's no slouch either (see: Twilight of the Superheroes). And, of course, Namor.

The addition of planning time as well as advisors will make this very interesting indeed.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I dont know about you guys, but match N looks like the most intresting one yet!

I mean, Gravity, Multiple Man, Star Man (Jack Knight last time i checked), Molly and BEAK!!!

Fuck, who do i vote for who do i vote for.

[spoiler:62bd260b64] Comence ALt making proceedureces![/spoiler:62bd260b64]

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

edited August 2006
    I honestly think the prep time is going to help the powered heroes more than the non-powered heroes, especially the ones with really versatile powers, like Plastic Man, or lots of powers, like Superman or Martian Manhunter.

Supes and J'onn both have enough powers that they can use them together, creatively, to take down a huge variety of foes. If they're given some advance notice they can start to plan, which only helps them.

Harrier on
    edited August 2006
    I dont know about you guys, but match N looks like the most intresting one yet!

I mean, Gravity, Multiple Man, Star Man (Jack Knight last time i checked), Molly and BEAK!!!

it's literally a fight between all my favorite characters and gravity

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited August 2006
    Symbiotes empower the natural abilities of a host to the point where they far exceed that of normal members of the hosts species. These abilities include the following:

* Superhuman strength
    * Superior speed and agility
    * Provide protection (from guns or other damage)
    * Genetic memory, recalling information from previous hosts.
    * Limited healing ability.

The symbiote also reacts to the thoughts and will of the host. When Spider-Man was originally selected, he had been thinking about Spider-Woman's costume in the Secret Wars. The symbiote acted on this and formed a similar costume, the one seen on him and Venom. The following are functions that have been demonstrated from various hosts' wills (but are not limited to):

* The ability to transform its mass into clothing
    * The ability to form fangs or simple bladed weapons out of their limbs
    * The ability to mimic the appearance of anyone, or anything, including dead tissue.
    * The ability to blend with its surroundings.
    * The ability to stick to walls (adopted from Spider-Man).
    * The ability to produce webbing from its own mass (adopted from Spider-Man).
    * The ability to bypass the Spider-Sense (because the original symbiote was attached to Peter first, it took his genetic information and spider-powers. This means that the symbiote attacking Peter would essentially be Peter attacking himself, which wouldn't set off his Spider-Sense)
    * The ability to process breathable gasses when the host normally cannot breathe (for example, in water).

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Man, Blue Beetle's hosed.

Munch on
    edited August 2006
    So is this like Secret Wars in that no one can really be killed?

Harrier on
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Man, Blue Beetle's hosed.

We all know he's just going to get shot in the head.

The fact that Arsenal is in the first round does not bode well for him.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

Does Zatanna have any limits? If she can say something backwards, she can do it, it seems. Constantine at least needs to do spells and rituals and stuff.

In Young Justice: Sins of Youth, she couldn't fix Klarion (bum bum BUM) the Witchboy's spell on Batman and Robin, so I guess she does have her limits.

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2006
    HOLY SHIT WE FORGOT TO NOMINATE THE PHANTOM STRANGER

Eh, I guess he wouldn't really make a good combatant though. He doesn't have any specific powers, just a lot of magic. Plus, he can stand up to the Spectre for a while, so he'd probably have been weeded out as too powerful anyways.

Plus fighting isn't really his thing.

Harrier on
  • jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Plastic man is gonna get far.
    His power level is one of the highest, I think he could take down supes.

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
    edited August 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    HOLY SHIT WE FORGOT TO NOMINATE THE PHANTOM STRANGER

Eh, I guess he wouldn't really make a good combatant though. He doesn't have any specific powers, just a lot of magic. Plus, he can stand up to the Spectre for a while, so he'd probably have been weeded out as too powerful anyways.

Plus fighting isn't really his thing.

we did nominate him, we kicked him out because he's basically a god

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
This discussion has been closed.