As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Prime] Pre-PAX Dinner Thread - [SOLD OUT] - Sign in starts at 5:30pm!

SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
<b>Sign in for the the PPD will start at 5:30. Dinner starts at 6:00!</b>

We will be checking names. If you have purchased a ticket from someone, please PM Saldek or TOGSolid so that we can update the guest list.

<B><U>How do I get to Barca's?</u></b>
Barca's in on 11th, between Pike and Pine. It's an easy 10-15 minute walk from the Convention Center.
Barca Bar and Lounge - Google Maps location
A couple buses also run from the area to within a block of Barca's. Check the google map link for more detailed times and bus numbers.
A couple people were talking about splitting cab fares- check near the end of the thread for more info about that.

Ladies and gentlemen, ready your wallets!

2012's PPD will be at the same Bat Time, same Bat Station as last year:
WHERE - Barca Bar and Lounge - Google Maps location

WHEN - Thursday, August 30th 6:00 - 8:00PM

TICKET PRICE: $24.59 For full buffet access! We inquired about doing the meal pre-order like last year, but the caterer's initial prices were already discounted for full buffet service and we'd only end up saving maybe a dollar or so. That's a lotta extra work for not a whole lot less off so have fun going back for seconds and trying whatever you want!

GIVE US YOUR MONEY: https://www.wepay.com/events/pre-pax-dinner
There are 120 tickets so get yours now!
***SOLD OUT***

THE BUFFET MENU
Prosciutto Stuffed Pork Chops - Boneless pork chops stuffed with Prosciutto and Provolone. Topped with seared mushrooms and Marsala reduction.
Orange and Bourbon Chicken - Fire grilled chicken topped with buttery bourbon whiskey and orange reduction.
Italian Polenta Cakes - Polenta topped with marinara sauce, julienne strips of fire roasted Portobella mushrooms, feta crumbles and blanched spinach.
Honey Balsamic Salad - Fresh garden greens blended with tomatoes, English cucumber, spring onions and feta cheese. Served with Balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
Buttermilk & Garlic Mashed Potatoes - New crop baby red potatoes are mashed with fresh garlic, buttermilk and cream.
Basket o' Bread - It's bread. I guess you can butter it or something.

--Good news for those who have been asking about gluten-free: Both meat dishes are gluten-free!

--There will be a bartender on the mezzanine so we don't have to go downstairs to get drinks! Soda and water will be provided free of charge!

--Also, for those interested, Barca's Happy Hour runs from 5-7pm: $4 wells and $1 off draft beers.

The mezzanine is reserved for us, however there will be seating available on the main level, too.
The food will most likely be set up upstairs; I'll update once Barca's and the caterer have finalized that.

A lot of locations were scouted by some awesome PAers and it came down to two selections. I ultimately decided on Barca because the choice was to either make it all ages and have it be pricey, or risk it being 21+ and keeping it affordable with better food choices. Either choice kinda hoses people but since ultimately the dinner tends to attract mostly 21+ people anyway, I figured that keeping it cheap with better food would be the better idea.

The good news for anyone that went to the dinner last year is that Barca has had ventilation installed since we were last there!

We will not be needing volunteers! Just show up, stuff your face, and start drinking!

Does the dinner conflict with the Triwizard Drinking Tournament?

Nope! The dinner is specifically arranged to not conflict with the crawl. It's also setup to happen in the same area as the crawl so that it's just a short walk to your starting bar.
A lot of people who do the Triwizard come to the dinner also so that we can all get a meal in before we all get shit-housed. This is a great time to meet and greet some of your fellow house members while you're still sober! If I remember correctly, Barca was a starting bar last year so some people didn't even have to leave their seats :D.

There are a few people interested in getting a group together to walk over from the hotels (starting from the Hyatt, I believe). If a meet-up time is decided on, I'll post it here. It's about a 15 minute walk on Pine to 11th.
Don't feel like walking? The #10 and #11 buses will drop you off less than a block from Barca. (schedules will be available closer to the dinner, but both buses run fairly frequently).

Thanks to:
@LexiconGrrl
@vespachica
@Saldek
@TheMisanthrope
Also thanks to @Beta_Angel for answering my newbie questions!

- @TOGSolid

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Old OP
    Welcome one and all to the all new PPD 2012 thread! With Beta's blessing I have launched a new PPD thread that I can reign over like Doctor Doom on an alcoholic bender. There will be action, romance, and more hot wings and strippers than you can shake an angry nun's ruler at!

Ok, well, maybe not that last bit.

On to the good stuff! A location has been secured and caterers are being shaken down and intimidated contacted!

2012's PPD will be at the same Bat Time, same Bat Station as last year:
    WHERE - Barca Bar and Lounge - Google Maps location

WHEN - Thursday, August 30th 6:00 - 8:00PM

TICKET PRICE
    : TBD - Will not exceed $30. Tickets will be going on sale next month at the latest. If things with the caterer go smoothly it'll be before this month is out.

A lot of locations were scouted by some awesome PAers and it came down to two selections. I ultimately decided on Barca because the choice was to either make it all ages and have it be pricey, or risk it being 21+ and keeping it affordable with better food choices. Either choice kinda hoses people but since ultimately the dinner tends to attract mostly 21+ people anyway, I figured that keeping it cheap with better food would be the better idea.

The good news for anyone that went to the dinner last year is that Barca has had ventilation installed since we were last there!

Once the menu is secured, I may need some button design ideas for each of the main courses. Just like last year, when you pay for your ticket you'll let us know which main dish you want and when you arrive you will be handed a button that corresponds to your selection so that the server knows what to hand you.
    Efforts are being made to ensure that no one has to volunteer to deal with clean up/serving/etc. because I know the majority of us are going to be getting very, very drunk as soon as the dinner is over.

Does the dinner conflict with the Triwizard Drinking Tournament?
    Nope! The dinner is specifically arranged to not conflict at all with the crawl. It's also setup to happen in the same area as the crawl so that it's just a short walk to your starting bar.
    A lot of people who do the Triwizard come to the dinner also so that we can all get a meal in before we all get shit-housed. This is a great time to meet and greet some of your fellow house members while you're still sober! If I remember correctly, Barca was a starting bar last year so some people didn't even have to leave their seats :D.

zerzhul on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Woooooo! Ridiculously excited about this!

Is Barca an international chain as there are a couple not far from me?

I'll help with badges if you like.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    I eagerly await this.

• Options
    AylaviereAylaviere Overlord Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    This is awesome. I will for sure be attending it this year.

A big thank you to all of you who are working so hard to scout out and secure places/food!

East 2015: Hostel/Hotel [✓] Time Off [✓] 3 Day Pass [✓] Pokecrawl [ ]
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    HUZZAH FOR VENTILATION

• Options
    vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    LET THE MASTICATION BEGIN!!!

• Options
    courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    No dinner for me this year. I bought tickets for the Scott & Kris show going on at the same time.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Scott and Chris don't start til 8:00, so in theory, both are doeable, but TWDT wouldn't be.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    Mastications!

• Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    In like Sin.

6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be in for this..... Plus two.

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular
    In plus one. We'll get into Seattle that afternoon.

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I want to go...but I probably won't know for sure it Pax in closer. When is the offical sign-up? I assume this fills up pretty fast? Also my understand that it doesn't conflict with the triwizard tourney? I would like the possibility to do both.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I want to go...but I probably won't know for sure it Pax in closer. When is the offical sign-up? I assume this fills up pretty fast? Also my understand that it doesn't conflict with the triwizard tourney? I would like the possibility to do both.

You're correct on both accounts. It does fill up /fairly/ quickly, and it also does not usually conflict with the triwizard (by design). As far as official sign-ups, I have no clue ;) . It will be after they get a caterer locked down and a menu decided upon that they'll offer tickets, but I'm unsure of their timeline for that.

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the info :)

• Options
    edited June 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »

You're correct on both accounts. It does fill up /fairly/ quickly, and it also does not usually conflict with the triwizard (by design). As far as official sign-ups, I have no clue ;) . It will be after they get a caterer locked down and a menu decided upon that they'll offer tickets, but I'm unsure of their timeline for that.

We're shooting for tickets to go on sale next month.
    Also my understand that it doesn't conflict with the triwizard tourney?
    A lot of people who do the Triwizard come to this also so that we can all get a meal in before we all get shit-housed. The dinner is specifically setup to not conflict at all with the crawl and to also happen in the same area as the crawl so that it's just a short walk to your starting bar. If I remember correctly, Barca was a starting bar last year so some people didn't even have to leave their seats :D.

I should probably mention this in the OP.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Sounds like a thing!

TOGSolid, thanks for getting this going and taking the bull by the bal...horns. Also, talk to gal_friday about buttons. She's a superstar and has done the buttons for the past few years. If she has time, she will make them super-fantastic.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    beta_angel wrote: »
    Sounds like a thing!

TOGSolid, thanks for getting this going and taking the bull by the bal...horns. Also, talk to gal_friday about buttons. She's a superstar and has done the buttons for the past few years. If she has time, she will make them super-fantastic.
    Ah yeah, that's who it was. I couldn't remember who had done the buttons last year.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Totally going to this this year, if I remember to check the forums next month to catch signups.

• Options
    R23R23 Registered User regular
    In+1

• Options
    PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    Still working on the boys for this. There is the potential for me+4, but things are still kinda of up in the air. As soon as I know more I will post and update.

• Options
    Can't wait for tickets to go on sale. I'll be there of course, in my TWDT regalia no doubt. Saves time for moar drinks.

• Options
    lizpiratelizpirate Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Oh hells yes! Looking forward to this.

• Options
    Can't wait for tickets to go on sale. I'll be there of course, in my TWDT regalia no doubt. Saves time for moar drinks.

Sly-ther-in! Sly-ther-in! Sly-ther-in! Sly-ther-in!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Sly-ther-in! Sly-ther-in! Sly-ther-in! Sly-ther-in!
    Added more pizzazz for ya. ;P

Anywho! I had an epic time last year and (hopefully) will do so again!

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    I couldn't remember the color code for the green text. :3

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    WapieWapie Registered User regular
    I wanna go this year but I'm all on my own for PAX this time around O_O
    and I'm a shy person at first so I donno if I should join in >.>

/thinks about it in a hidden corner/

• Options
    Wapie wrote: »

Yes, and sign up for every other major PAX event. The people who go to these are super friendly and you'll have a ball. :D

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Seconded! PAX is the place to be if you're on your own, cos you soon won't be!

• Options
    OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular

You definitely gotta go, and the Post Pax Party as well, make new friends at dinner, hang out with them all weekend and one last awesome huzzah at PPP, you wont regret it

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

The Wife and I fit this description execpt for the "Pax Alone" part. We're planning on signing up for this in part simply to pull us out of our shells (mandatory socializing if you will). Also this because we don't think we can keep up with the TWDT people (although we may camp in/near a bar.)

• Options
    Sudden extra respect for @beta_angel

You'd think caterers would get hype as fuck when you show up and want to throw thousands of dollars at them but no. They gotta act like prissy bitches.

Time to go to the next caterer on the list!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    You would think, but it is pretty rare when trying to organize a lot of events or products (like coins, dice, mugs, etc). It seems like Barca really wanted to host the event again, which is a big plus for them in my book. Stick with the people that really WANT to do business with you.

"In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • Options

I go by myself every year, and I'm very shy too. But I made myself go on the Magical Mystery Tour, the Dinner, the pub crawl, the post party, etc. I still don't have as many friends as many people, but I have some and I talk to them all year long on Twitter now. Just put yourself out there.

• Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hubby and I are so in for this! It will be great to meet some new people...and who knows, maybe we could be convince the hubby to go for the crawl after. lol! (if not, it's off to the Sheraton for some good times playing games. :lol:

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular

You'd think caterers would get hype as fuck when you show up and want to throw thousands of dollars at them but no. They gotta act like prissy bitches.

Catering profits work on incredibly small margins. They're in business to make money, not give food away. Unlike a regular kitchen, they have extra licensing, transportation costs, insurance and overhead to cover too. It doesn't matter how many dollars you throw at them if, at the end of the event, they only make $200 in profit to split between a staff of 4 for an all day effort.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    Finally got confirmation from my party so I'm in +2! Now we just need tri wiz sign ups

Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
  • Options

Catering profits work on incredibly small margins. They're in business to make money, not give food away. Unlike a regular kitchen, they have extra licensing, transportation costs, insurance and overhead to cover too. It doesn't matter how many dollars you throw at them if, at the end of the event, they only make $200 in profit to split between a staff of 4 for an all day effort.

Well, it's kind of a moot point. Caterer A was all hemming hawwing and being very non-committal. Caterer B responded with WE WANT YOUR MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. Caterer B and I have been getting along fantastically. :lol:

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    The husband and I will be there with bells on. I've already booked our hotel for Thursday night and made arrangements to drop off the dogs on Wednesday, so we'll be showing up after work on Wednesday to stay put until Sunday. Booyah.

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    So I'm kinda just waiting to get unjailed to do a big thread update. (Hint, I've been staring at a WePay screen for a few minutes)

Sit tight!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.