As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i just realized i dont know how wordpress works

oh well, so it goes

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Munch should get a constant costume redesign feature whether he likes it or not.

Back when I was planning to do a whole blog thing, I was going to have three themes, alternating every week; Extreme Hero Makeover, where I'd do redesigns for characters originating in the nineties, Evil Twin, which would be an alternate-universe good/evil swap along the lines of DC's Crime Syndicate characters, and Act One, which would be the first three pages from a hypothetical relaunch of a comic I'd like to see. I actually did some of the Evil Twin and Hero Makeover designs, like my Evil Blue Beetle, Good Amazo, and redesigns of Geist and Ballistic.

Once I wrap up Chupacabra, I may look at doing some more stuff like that. But, I'm still trying to figure out what my schedule's going to be like, afterward.

Personally, I'd like to see you draw some superhero stuff. I think it'd be really cool to see some characters, in your style.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i just realized i dont know how wordpress works

oh well, so it goes

Press button, type words. Trust me, you can do it.

edit: I'm probably going to make a small invisible post that is just editorial consistency stuff, like using the featured image if you're posting one panel etc.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Munch wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    Munch should get a constant costume redesign feature whether he likes it or not.

Back when I was planning to do a whole blog thing, I was going to have three themes, alternating every week; Extreme Hero Makeover, where I'd do redesigns for characters originating in the nineties, Evil Twin, which would be an alternate-universe good/evil swap along the lines of DC's Crime Syndicate characters, and Act One, which would be the first three pages from a hypothetical relaunch of a comic I'd like to see. I actually did some of the Evil Twin and Hero Makeover designs, like my Evil Blue Beetle, Good Amazo, and redesigns of Geist and Ballistic.

Once I wrap up Chupacabra, I may look at doing some more stuff like that. But, I'm still trying to figure out what my schedule's going to be like, afterward.

Personally, I'd like to see you draw some superhero stuff. I think it'd be really cool to see some characters, in your style.

Oh man. That would be so awesome. A friend of mine talked about doing a tumblr or something of us just dicking around and redesigning superheroes and just doing them as ridiculous as possible. Kind of anti-realism stuff. Not that I always hate realistic costumes, but it would be fun to just take them to their silliest silver age glee. Kinda pooped that never happened. It's such a fun exercise.

And yeah, I've got another chapter to close out the first big arc of my stuff, and then I'm taking an extended break to do some more diversifying of what I draw. Skinny people drama and goats can take a rest for awhile haha. Pretty sure I'll turn into a Doctor Who fanart machine of some kind.

And thanks! I actually did a commission not too far back that I was pretty stoked about. It was OMAC versus Frankenstein. I actually went pretty crazy with it and had a ton of fun.

EDIT- Actually here it is!

83ix8.jpg

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Can I write smear campaigns about TLB for your blog?

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I'm definitely interested in doing a bit of writing for it.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I might be interested in doing a piece or two?

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    I need your email addresses people :p

huntresssig.jpg
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    I did book and comic reviews for a friend's gaming site for a bit, quit because my day job became crazy ...

I'd love to contribute a piece as well, from time to time.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I started a comics blog

and made three posts

then went back to uni for exams, and never got back to it

you know what would be cool? If we set up a group blog.

listen

this is actually the best idea

i will PM @Arivia and prepare to deluge you all with my terrible, terrible opinions

Yeah, this is going to be pretty baller. I was hoping I could get the post up this morning, but it looks like it will be tonight after I get back from my sister's.

huntresssig.jpg
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Like usual when something like this pops up around here, I will gladly offer my services as an editor if anyone would like that. I'm too shy online to post my opinions, but I could put this degree to work in other ways!

Best of luck :]

Skullo wrote: »
    Like usual when something like this pops up around here, I will gladly offer my services as an editor if anyone would like that. I'm too shy online to post my opinions, but I could put this degree to work in other ways!

I was wondering about this myself to a degree. I'm part English major as well, and I was kind of leaning towards exerting no editorial concern and letting people post what they'd like without any edits (even to spelling or grammar), so that there wouldn't be any issues about people's words being co-opted and a unsafe space for contributions being created, where people don't feel like they're really contributing on their own terms. Thoughts?

huntresssig.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    has no one learned anything from sentry duty????

7656367.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

This isn't a creative endeavor it's just people saying stuff that they'd say on the forums anyway.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I've heard worse ideas. Plus, the whole allure of people bringing together creative stuff to gather with other creative stuff made by other people.

Okay, first post up:

http://textandviolence.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/ms-marvel-costumes-and-authorial-intent/

@Crimsondude, it's for you.

Sending out invites now so people can go wild.

huntresssig.jpg
    Invites are out to everyone who pmed me a Wordpress username or email address.

huntresssig.jpg
    edited June 2012
    Arivia wrote: »

I was wondering about this myself to a degree. I'm part English major as well, and I was kind of leaning towards exerting no editorial concern and letting people post what they'd like without any edits (even to spelling or grammar), so that there wouldn't be any issues about people's words being co-opted and a unsafe space for contributions being created, where people don't feel like they're really contributing on their own terms. Thoughts?

(Heh, I did English/Ed undergrad, got teacher certified, but hated teaching and got my MLIS. Now I like what I do, but screwed cause I can't find a job!)

ANYWAY:

I can definitely see that concern. I like to think that the editing process leaves most of the writer's original intent in place if you're doing your job correctly. You are mainly there as a second set of eyes to pick up on mistakes, yes, but also a springboard for ideas or helping someone better clarify a point (not by putting your words in their mouth, but by identifying unclear ideas and having them take another go at it). Y'know, the ideal neutral party.

Of course, the level of editing and the amount of effort behind the scenes really depends on the audience you're trying to reach and the goals of the project.

Mostly, though, I tend to like to read what y'all say (even when I disagree), and want to contribute somehow. Plus, being unemployed currently gives me more free time than I'd like, and I'd rather do some more constructive things than just play some games.

(Also: I have some Wordpress experience, so I can edit that part of stuff if people are having trouble/getting weird things happening).

Skullo on
    I agree with you, Skullo, and I think it's awesome to get an editor on board. But this is a collaborative thing, not just me, so I'd like to hear from other people.

huntresssig.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

Don't worry, my first anti-TLB smear piece will be a total rundown of the Sentry Duty scandal. Where are all the forum members tax dollars, TLB? WHERE!?!?

Hensler on
    fuck the taxpayers, this bitchin' yacht owns

7656367.jpg
    I agree with you, Skullo, and I think it's awesome to get an editor on board. But this is a collaborative thing, not just me, so I'd like to hear from other people.

Sorry, thought the "thoughts?" was directed at me!

And maybe if I see something particularly striking I'll get over myself and write a post for it.

also I might maybe one day write a thing for this

maybe

7656367.jpg
    oh and @arivia

you should read stars and s.t.r.i.p.e.

7656367.jpg

Sorry, thought the "thoughts?" was directed at me!

And maybe if I see something particularly striking I'll get over myself and write a post for it.

Everyone, so no worries.

huntresssig.jpg
    I'm thinking we should maybe start a new thread for discussion of Text and Violence so we don't clog up the Oliver Queen Love Station any more. But I can't actually start threads because I am jaiiiiled.

huntresssig.jpg
  • mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    Right so looks like I'm interrupting a different topic at hand but I'm just gonna post this anyway.

I picked up the new Animal Man trade on a whim and I loved it. The art is pretty much my definition of insanity and it is creepy as hell and brilliant. And the story was pretty rad too. And at the end he mentions Swamp Thing and I'm wondering if that series is as good as the first 6 issues of Animal Man are. I passed over these two when the New 52 started just cause I wasn't interested in either character, but reading "The Hunt" felt like reading one of Gaiman's Sandman books which I loved. So, is Swamp Thing a valuable investment?

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
    swamp thing is pretty good, bout as good as animal man

• mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    Follow up question, are either of their pre-reboot series worth a read? I'm pretty sure I've heard stuff about some good ones but I can't remember.

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
    Swamp Thing's big classic run is by Alan Moore with all that entails, and Grant Morrison did the best past run on Animal Man.

huntresssig.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    note: talking about how you're starting a blog in a thread unrelated to blogs, posting a link to said blog, and recruiting people to write for your blog: all of this is not okay

especially when you fail to run it by the mod staff

yeah

and if you read morrison's fantastic run, you'll get a payoff for a page in DCnU animal man

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    how is that frankenstein book, and what are the odds of it being all collected logically in a trade? i saw a preview somewhere, and whoever the artist is makes things look amazing, even frankenstein's super intense chimp murdergasm faces

mrmr wrote: »
    Right so looks like I'm interrupting a different topic at hand but I'm just gonna post this anyway.

I picked up the new Animal Man trade on a whim and I loved it. The art is pretty much my definition of insanity and it is creepy as hell and brilliant. And the story was pretty rad too. And at the end he mentions Swamp Thing and I'm wondering if that series is as good as the first 6 issues of Animal Man are. I passed over these two when the New 52 started just cause I wasn't interested in either character, but reading "The Hunt" felt like reading one of Gaiman's Sandman books which I loved. So, is Swamp Thing a valuable investment?

Personally, I picked up Animal Man first and was told to pick up Swamp Thing because it supplemented well, and then I wound up liking Swamp Thing loads more than Animal Man.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I picked up the animal man trade when it came out, went to add the swamp thing one to my cart and saw that it was coming out the end of august. DC if two books tie into each other you can at least put them out relatively close to one another

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know I vampire and JLD close to each other but the latest issue was more of a Hey you know that throwback TB we issused well here is more

I kind of wish JLD was kind of dark but not gorey

dc will always be abysmal at releasing trades properly

7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    dc will always be abysmal at releasing trades properly

I'm afraid things will be all fucked up, because i heard that Frankenstein fights something called The Rot, which links the book to both Swamp Thing and Animal Man.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Luckily that issue was more or less just a one-shot

This discussion has been closed.