As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TOURNAMENT CENTRAL: RULES AND MORE!

• HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    HOLY SHIT WE FORGOT TO NOMINATE THE PHANTOM STRANGER

Eh, I guess he wouldn't really make a good combatant though. He doesn't have any specific powers, just a lot of magic. Plus, he can stand up to the Spectre for a while, so he'd probably have been weeded out as too powerful anyways.

Plus fighting isn't really his thing.

we did nominate him, we kicked him out because he's basically a god
    So it's like I figured.

Just wanted to be sure.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Plastic man is gonna get far.
    His power level is one of the highest, I think he could take down supes.
    He'd have to catch supes first. Also, he can be incapacitated by freezing and has a noted vulnerability to fire.

That said, he is definitely one to watch. I think he'll take his first match, at least.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This is awesome. Quite a bit more organized than I was expecting. Good job :) Looking forward to see how this all plays out.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Charmy wrote:
    Munch wrote:
    Man, Blue Beetle's hosed.

We all know he's just going to get shot in the head.

The fact that Arsenal is in the first round does not bode well for him.

I don't know DC very well, but those two are both gadget based heroes for the most part right?

Well, unless they prepare by making sure all their gadgets have no metal parts, they're fucked, since Magneto is in their match.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2006
    Corvus wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Munch wrote:

I don't know DC very well, but those two are both gadget based heroes for the most part right?

Well, unless they prepare by making sure all their gadgets have no metal parts, they're fucked, since Magneto is in their match.

Blue Beetle's kind of like Batman except lighthearted and not as good a martial artist.

Arsenal is the original Speedy (Green Arrow's sidekick), who has excellent marksmanship and good hand-to-hand combat skills.

Garlic Bread on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, I looked them up, I suppose if they go with the carbon fibre/plastic gadgets, and can close to melee range with Mags they will have a chance.

Anyways, this is looking fairly interesting, since we're going to be taking into account setting, time to prepare, advisors, etc.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Corvus wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Munch wrote:

There's always the possibility that Mags gets tied up with the Hulk or Captain Britain. In an 8-man battle, lots of stuff can happen.

Take match E. Martian Manhunter's weakness to fire might not even come into play if Liz or Chamber get taken out by Moon Knight or Wolverine.

One Thousand Cables on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Corvus wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Munch wrote:

Blue Beetle's kind of like Batman except lighthearted and not as good a martial artist.

plus he has a heart condition

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Take match E. Martian Manhunter's weakness to fire might not even come into play if Liz or Chamber get taken out by Moon Knight or Wolverine.

Chamber shoots psionic energy, though, not fire.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited August 2006

Well just Liz, then.

One Thousand Cables on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Servo wrote:

An alleged heart condition.

Munch on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2006
    Servo wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Corvus wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Munch wrote:

and an affinity for cheesesteaks

Garlic Bread on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

Kinda both, I thought.
    Scooter wrote:
    Unless there was a last minute change to the roster, it was the Symbiote costume Spider-Man.
    Is post-The Other Spidey stronger than Symbiote Spidey?

I think he may be. If so it should be him. No weakness to fire or loud noised.

deadonthestreet on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Team Tach is ready. Let's do it.

Tach on
  • Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Wait...um...Two of mine are in battle F, I mean, does that even matter?

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

Kinda both, I thought.
    Scooter wrote:
    Unless there was a last minute change to the roster, it was the Symbiote costume Spider-Man.

It's Psi/telekinetic energy, it's just drawn like fire. The Other Spidey lasted like 3 months before he became Iron Spidey, I think they've scrapped those wrist spikes and whatever else they gave him.

Scooter on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Oh FUCK it's going to be hard to choose winners.

Two heroes get to make it out as victors, you say?

DarkPrimus on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    Some general comments:

Superman and Ms. Marvel in the same match will be interesting. How strong is Carol Danvers, relatively speaking?

Before absorbing energy she's fairly strong and durable. She still has her cosmic-level powers, but lacks a "suitable powersource"(so if Supes hits her with heat vision, she might be able to shock herself into Binary-levels of power and quickly overwhelm him.) As Binary she was a cosmic entity with immense strength, nigh-invulnerability, and could fly at speeds exceeding light.

Also, according to Wiki, she can augment her strength through gravity, and through energy absorbing which also beefs up her energy blasts(which are already on-par with Iron Mans repulsor blasts).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Marvel Lots of info on how her powers work. At the beginning of the fight, it looks like Superman is her only real threat. Colossus couldn't touch her, Deadpool...well he'll get his head punched off a good 30 times.

But Supes is a BIG threat. So unless she can channel kinetic energy or enough gravitation force to put her way up there(or she finds a way to channel energy before the fight) she'll probably go down. Although I'd give it to her as the second hero going on.

The Muffin Man on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Hell yeah!

Magneto and Cosmic Boy are in the same fight!

I <3 SON OF THE BEYONDER! (SoB isn´t such a great abbrevation...)

Haphazard on
  • zigzig Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm looking forward to seeing insults directed at Gladiator to lower his confidence.

zig on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Realistically, in any match against the big three of DC, most of the second stringers in the match would probably join up and try to take them down first. Especially in a match like Thor vs. Superboy vs. Sandman vs. The Question?

Synthesized Kryptonite gas anyone? Oh yeah. I wrote it.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:

Kinda both, I thought.
    Scooter wrote:

It's Psi/telekinetic energy, it's just drawn like fire. The Other Spidey lasted like 3 months before he became Iron Spidey, I think they've scrapped those wrist spikes and whatever else they gave him.

Uh the Other Spidey is still Iron Spidey. He has all the powers he got from The Other + the Iron suit. The wrist spikes are based on reflex, so you don't see him use them that often.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned but Boy Blue is going to be a big threat to Supes. It should be interesting to see how that goes.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006
    I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned but Boy Blue is going to be a big threat to Supes. It should be interesting to see how that goes.

Boy Blue's not really fast enough to hit Superman with the sword.

Although it would fuck Supes' shit up.

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Realistically, in any match against the big three of DC, most of the second stringers in the match would probably join up and try to take them down first. Especially in a match like Thor vs. Superboy vs. Sandman vs. The Question?

Are we talking Conner here? I never knew if he had the kryptonite weakness. He seemed to get the shit beat out of him plenty.

Also, I imagine Thor would just wail on him. I imagine if he can beat Superman(or at least fuck him up) then he'd probably do a lot better versus Superboy.

The Muffin Man on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:

Are we talking Conner here? I never knew if he had the kryptonite weakness. He seemed to get the shit beat out of him plenty.

Also, I imagine Thor would just wail on him. I imagine if he can beat Superman(or at least fuck him up) then he'd probably do a lot better versus Superboy.
    Conner: "The hammer Molson? Please. I'll just use my -

Everyone else: "Tactile telekinesis. We know."

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:

Maybe he could put himself in Supes' way if he knows he'll be flying past, the way Deathstroke impaled Flash in Identity Crisis.

Unless I missed him, did we take out Professor X? If so, that makes either J'onn or Cable the most powerful telepath in the tournament. Considering several of our heroes here have unstable psyches, I'm sure they'll both take advantage of that.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited August 2006
    Which version of Cable is it?

Regular Cable? Super Jesus early Cable+Deadpool Cable? Current "no real powers, just advanced tech" Cable?

deadonthestreet on
  • CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:

It's all about the witching cloak though, and maybe Boy Blue is going to pull some kryptonite out of his cloak and fuck Supes up.

Cariblue on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2006

Regular Cable? Super Jesus early Cable+Deadpool Cable? Current "no real powers, just advanced tech" Cable?

I'm going with the most powerful version I'm allowed, so hopefully, Super Jesus Cable, but I doubt that one's going to pass.

Bogart on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I believe the roster said current cyber-tech Cable.

Scooter on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Bogart wrote:

I'm going with the most powerful version I'm allowed, so hopefully, Super Jesus Cable, but I doubt that one's going to pass.

Post Super Jesus Cable is still pretty freakin' powerful.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited August 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Bogart wrote:

Is he still a telepath, though?

The way I see it, MM can start every battle with a telepathic attack, which will at least temporarily weaken everyone not immune to psychic attacks. Then he can send stretchy green arms at them with hammers at the ends or something to that effect. Also impersonate other heroes to trick them into attacking in the wrong way.

I think J'onn will go pretty far.

Harrier on
    edited August 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Maybe he could put himself in Supes' way if he knows he'll be flying past, the way Deathstroke impaled Flash in Identity Crisis.

Didn't Deathstroke just set land mines around him?

Although you'd think Flash was fast enough to dodge (or at least not set off) land mines.

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Harrier wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Didn't Deathstroke just set land mines around him?

Although you'd think Flash was fast enough to dodge (or at least not set off) land mines.

He weaved around them. Deathstroke thought out the quickest and easiest path that the Flash could take and stabbed him.

The Muffin Man on
    edited August 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    Nope, he just has a direct feed of all the world's electronic communicacion fed into his brain.

deadonthestreet on
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    Malkor wrote:
    Bogart wrote:

The way I see it, MM can start every battle with a telepathic attack, which will at least temporarily weaken everyone not immune to psychic attacks. Then he can send stretchy green arms at them with hammers at the ends or something to that effect. Also impersonate other heroes to trick them into attacking in the wrong way.

His fire weakness will be his end.

remember: a hero without fire powers can still use the environment to create fire.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
    edited August 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    Malkor wrote:
    Bogart wrote:

His fire weakness will be his end.

remember: a hero without fire powers can still use the environment to create fire.

Anyone with half a brain and some wood can kick J'onns ass.*

Mr.Fantastic? Hasn't it been said his mind is as flexible as his body, giving him some telepathic resistance?
    Spidey? Symbiotes fucking crazy. I dunno how a psychic would be effected by it. (Although it'd be a bit silly to expect Spider-man with the symbiote to just grab a torch. He'd probably have to start a fire near J'onn rather than use it offensively).
    Wonder Woman? Resistant to psychic attacks anyhow.

*Alright fine. It takes a lot more than that considering his vast array of other powers and the fact he's not an idiot. But is' POSSIBLE to take him out with half a brain and some dry wood.

The Muffin Man on
    edited August 2006

Since when?

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:

Since when?

Isn't she? That's all I ever hear.

The Muffin Man on
This discussion has been closed.