As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Arkham Horror Signups and Discussion Thread

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    wooooo arkham horror

I found out a friend of mine hasn't ever played the game and is a huge gamer geek so we're fixing that Saturday with every dang expansion. Gonna blow his head.

The only thing I won't use is Guardians, they're so anti-theme. I'll throw in an Institution tho.

Magic Pink on
  • mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    wooooo arkham horror

I found out a friend of mine hasn't ever played the game and is a huge gamer geek so we're fixing that Saturday with every dang expansion. Gonna blow his head.

The only thing I won't use is Guardians, they're so anti-theme. I'll throw in an Institution tho.

You sure he can handle an all-expansion game since he has never played before?

mi-go hunter on
  • GreenbaronsGreenbarons CanadaRegistered User regular
    wooooo arkham horror

Man the first 4 or 5 times I played Arkham I had no idea what I was doing, and that was with only the base rules. I think I would die if I tried to play with all the expansions right off the bat.

Every time I've introduced the game to someone I've used every expansion and all of them except one loved it. And that one turned out to be a huge asshole anyway. I'm well aware of how to do it right.

• mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    Every time I've introduced the game to someone I've used every expansion and all of them except one loved it. And that one turned out to be a huge asshole anyway. I'm well aware of how to do it right.

Alright, if your friend can handle it then it should be no problem. :) I know that the first time I played AH, it took about five games before I got the rules down straight and even a year later I still notice rules that I overlooked.

• calibercaliber Registered User regular
    I just found out from watching one of the games here that gates are supposed to come in face up. My group has been rolling them in face down for years!

caliber wrote: »
    I just found out from watching one of the games here that gates are supposed to come in face up. My group has been rolling them in face down for years!

That's what the original Arkham Horror did and it's a pretty common house rule to have what the other world actually is be a surprise. We do that too along with any monsters at the location are destroyed when the gate is closed (they get sucked in).

That's what the original Arkham Horror did and it's a pretty common house rule to have what the other world actually is be a surprise. We do that too along with any monsters at the location are destroyed when the gate is closed (they get sucked in).

I like that houserule, but that can't be done with the new Lurker gates. Each gate has a special ability that is triggered at certain times, so that houserule will not work.

I like that houserule, but that can't be done with the new Lurker gates. Each gate has a special ability that is triggered at certain times, so that houserule will not work.

Yes it does. The only one that would be affected is the moving gates. The others don't come into affect unless there's an investigator at the spot (in which case you'd be looking at the gate anyway since investigators are sucked in) or if they fail to close them. Just start the moving gates moving after they're revealed.

Yes it does. The only one that would be affected is the moving gates. The others don't come into affect unless there's an investigator at the spot (in which case you'd be looking at the gate anyway since investigators are sucked in) or if they fail to close them. Just start the moving gates moving after they're revealed.

Oh right! That could work as well, I never thought of that.

• DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Please, sign me up.

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Anyone on the wait list want to hop into an already-existing game? One of our players over here in this game went and turned into a dad over the weekend.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Was that after he went thru a gate?

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    edited June 2012
    Arkham Horror Game 2 has ended with an Investigator Victory!

I will be removing myself from the host list and will be taking a break from hosting for about a month (due to summer camp). But I will return!

mi-go hunter on
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    In your face GOO!

Played Mansions of Madness today in my FTF group & won as The Keeper.
    My Cultists summoned the Chthonian, which then killed 3 of the 4 investigators, who were unable to kill it before time ran out. :twisted:

stever777 wrote: »
    Played Mansions of Madness today in my FTF group & won as The Keeper.
    My Cultists summoned the Chthonian, which then killed 3 of the 4 investigators, who were unable to kill it before time ran out. :twisted:

I have yet to play MoM... I heard that it provides a really fun storytelling experience but it has some balance issues. Is it worth it?

Kinda 50/50.
    My friend got it for Christmas so it didn't cost us anything but we're a little disappointed in it.
    We've only played it twice.
    Of course, it is scenario-driven and so the stories determine a lot of how the game plays.
    Could be fun played here I think.

I've heard it is balanced towards the keeper winning. Not played myself though so just what friends have said.

I have yet to play MoM... I heard that it provides a really fun storytelling experience but it has some balance issues. Is it worth it?
    I usually play MoM with my wife and kid, so I do not care much about balance, more about fun. And it is quite fun! :)

Hmm... yeah I don't think games like MoM are designed to be very balanced anyway but I heard many good things about it! Any particular missions that are grossly imbalanced (such as one mistake from the investigators leads to automatic win for the Keeper, etc.)?

The guy who owns it said the first story in the basic Keeper Manual is like that but he's not very good at judging game balances and is also prone to exaggerations.
    Even when he brought the game over, he didn't really know the rules.
    He & his bro played it.

Sum up - I dunno... :P

The game I won on Sat was basically because the Investigators had 2 paths to choose from in the mansion and all went one way.
    Would've been fine if that was the right choice but it wasn't.
    You'd think they would've gone down the path that had the Secret passage in it but they didn't.

Hmm... yeah I don't think games like MoM are designed to be very balanced anyway but I heard many good things about it! Any particular missions that are grossly imbalanced (such as one mistake from the investigators leads to automatic win for the Keeper, etc.)?
    Well, AFAIK, there is an unbeatable winning strategy for one of the goals in 3rd scenario. You just produce zombies in crypt and move them to the altar.
    Also, there is a goal in scenario 5, it is like "if you open that door, lose the game". I do not like that idea. But I've never played that scenario as it involves traitor, and it would not work with my gaming group.

Daemonis wrote: »
    Well, AFAIK, there is an unbeatable winning strategy for one of the goals in 3rd scenario. You just produce zombies in crypt and move them to the altar.
    Also, there is a goal in scenario 5, it is like "if you open that door, lose the game". I do not like that idea. But I've never played that scenario as it involves traitor, and it would not work with my gaming group.

That's unfortunate :( Have these issues been fixed such as in a reprint?

That's unfortunate :( Have these issues been fixed such as in a reprint?
    No. But they made some erratas which fix other issues

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    This game is gaining a lot of popularity in my board game group, thinking about buying an expansion.
    Dunwich Horror is the best big box?
    What is the best small box? and best overall?
    We are winning pretty easily now, including a battle against a 91 HP Hastur last night.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• GreenbaronsGreenbarons CanadaRegistered User regular
    I really liked King in the Yellow as a small box expansion. Dunwhich is my favorite big box expansion. We have Kingsport too, I'm not a big fan. I find its a pretty boring expansion and you end up having someone having to just run around doing encounters in Kingsport away from the action to keep Rifts under control. I also liked the Black Goat of the Woods expansion, I like the corruptions that it adds to the game.

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Which one has the injury and story cards? For me, those are key to the game.

GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    Which one has the injury and story cards? For me, those are key to the game.

Dunwich has injury and madness, and Innsmouth adds the personal stories.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Also, I might start hosting a game of Arkham Horror. Rejoice!

Clawing my eyes out in terrorjoy right now!

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    Also, I might start hosting a game of Arkham Horror. Rejoice!

DO IT!!!!

I will start up a game maybe on Monday or Tuesday.

Ehehe, the madness shall begin!

Anyone who is interested in playing should sign up! The waiting list is thinning...

Ok, sign up

• PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    Go ahead and put me on the waiting list

Go, mi-go, go...
    mi-go-go?

Since MG has been AFK for a while (I hope he's in good health) you guys are free to sign up again, if you wish.

@Kirindal
    @Capfalcon
    @Cythraul
    @Chrysis
    @NoizRnel

And I will sign myself back up again.