As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My webcomics are too ugly! Or not ugly enough!

BogleechBogleech Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Artist's Corner
I don't know anymore!

I've been doing comics on my site for four or five years now, even had a few run on Cracked, but when I read some of my other favorites around the web I feel like I've seen their techniques and styles evolve a lot better and farther than mine. I always intend a fun, cartoony feel but ultimately the results looks too stiff and lifeless to me. I think I have major problems with color, poses, backgrounds, the entire staging of my panels...I'd enjoy advice on anything, really, and try as many suggestions as I can in my next comic.

I have more than a hundred, but this is the most recent:

deadbabies.png

Here's a couple others:

pokeyball.jpg

lycanthropy.png

A lot of my comics involve large, amorphous biomasses, I'm sorry...I'm not looking for writing critiques, that's a whole other topic.

I think my biggest concern is detail level. I'm always trying to find the comfort zone between crude, loose cartoon people and a more realistic look. Gunshow is one of the best examples (to me) of the former, and Skadi my favorite example of the latter. Both honestly just as nice looking. I'm actually a little more comfortable drawing like this:

zeze.jpg

...And I draw like this more often than I draw comics. I have almost 500 of these monsters. This just isn't the look I want for comics. Am I spreading myself too broadly?

I'd also love some tips on good brushes and techniques for Sai, if anyone knows their way around that stuff. I still just use the default pen, and it's beginning to feel really restrictive.

You might know me from the internet at bogleech.com!
Bogleech on

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That werewolf one is like something right out of Adventure Time. ;D

I think it's the strongest of the 3, by virtue of having cute characters - the Pokemon one would probably be better with 'normal' looking human characters, imo. :3

So to answer the thread title - more ugly, less often?

Oh brilliant
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you feel like your art is uninspired, I feel like the easy answer is to look at more art and try and do different stuff. You certainly have some skills, and the comics look nice but It looks like your source of inspiration is pretty narrow. The only way to break old habits is to experiment outside of your comfort zone, gather a bunch of artists together as reference and try to push your style forward.

I think your colors are serviceable, but gradient backgrounds are always kind of lazy looking in my opinion. Even kc green tends to use solids or attend to gradients with a little hand drawn texture.

Unfortunately I really don't know anything about Sai.

• BogleechBogleech Registered User regular
    I do have a massive ever-growing folder to which I save "inspirational" art in various styles I admire, but then procrastinate at ever actually going through and examining them. I should probably try some little exercises like sketching other people's characters in my style and my characters in other people's styles.

When I look at some of my older, technically crappier comics...drawn in flash with a mouse, the worst possible combination, I actually find things I like a lot better than what I'm doing now. It's hard to lighten up once a style has "tightened"

• ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    "I still love you!!" -made me laugh :D

• BogleechBogleech Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    She may have been a closeted furry.

That's their ultimate dream, right? Just an amoebic mass of wolf?

Bogleech on
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Bogleech wrote: »
    I do have a massive ever-growing folder to which I save "inspirational" art in various styles I admire, but then procrastinate at ever actually going through and examining them. I should probably try some little exercises like sketching other people's characters in my style and my characters in other people's styles.

When I look at some of my older, technically crappier comics...drawn in flash with a mouse, the worst possible combination, I actually find things I like a lot better than what I'm doing now. It's hard to lighten up once a style has "tightened"

Man, you can still jump on the "31st PA:AC Challenge: The Discomfort Zone IV, the smell of discomfort", where a lot of GREAT, GREAT, very talented AND good looking artists are participating and are doing exactly that. After all, its more a game than a challenge, and a great incentive to try different stuff, wich is something everyone needs.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen