As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xanth: A [Phalla] for Chameleon - Day 6 - Mafia Victory!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I do think that the anti village roles were a bit overpowered for the pretty underpowered village. There were a fuck ton of kills, and the only reason the village had a chance at all was because the seial killer killed the entire mafia, basically.

I'd need to see the spreadsheet, but even with our luck with the networked thrall, I'd probably agree

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    And malkor going inactive, handing a win to the mafia, is yet another reason to post or die.

As much as my teammates wnat to give me props, @smoove operator deserves credit for keeping things together in the endgame.

Even if he went a bit crazy on the proboards, crushed by loneliness.

Now, let me tell you a story about being a thrall seered on Day 1 by a neutral seer who was busdriven to you.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Killing you was the right move that day, and smoove was never going to be voted for.
    If smoove was never going to be voted for then killing me was not the right move. Especially seeing as how you never would have taken Baidol on your own. You had at least one more day before anybody won and I could have taken care of your mafia problem with a lucky hit. Seeing as all your vigs were dead.

But you continued to specifically not work with us or tell us your role.

The day we voted for you, the mafia was down to one person. You would have been actively not trying to kill that person, so you would have targeted the network, the people known to be in the network.

Then, we'd be dead, and whether or not you hit the mafia would be moot because you would have been voted out anyway.

• Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    Village boards: Day 5: End of page 2: Awesome!

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Thanks for running Cap, it was a good experience for me and made me have to get better at soft networking, which I'm not the best at.

7 mafia kills over the last two days with only 1 mafia alive is.....something.

I had fun, stressed out a shit ton, lost my mind, and don't want to be network head again for awhile.

I had figured out most of the mafia Bedlam killed for the village anyways (Saber wasn't nearly as helpful as normal, INANTP lied to me in his PM, so I was going to vig him the next night anyways) but Baidol and Smoove were perfect.

Baidol because it's pretty impossible to see through a thrall and Smoove because his claimed role matched up perfectly.

• Options
    Village boards: Day 5: End of page 2: Awesome!

Haha, fucking isn't it?

That said, assuran did a good job as network head. Baidol ended up totally not being his fault (although since he came from a neutral, should have confirmed him via a vig beforehand), and tzeench wasn't bad, in any case.

I totally bought smoove's story, and might have tried to move a vote on him due to his red kill, but probably not.

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    Thanks for running Cap, it was a good experience for me and made me have to get better at soft networking, which I'm not the best at.

I had fun, stressed out a shit ton, lost my mind, and don't want to be network head again for awhile.

I had figured out most of the mafia Bedlam killed for the village anyways (Saber wasn't nearly as helpful as normal, INANTP lied to me in his PM, so I was going to vig him the next night anyways) but Baidol and Smoove were perfect.

Baidol because it's pretty impossible to see through a thrall and Smoove because his claimed role matched up perfectly.

Yeah, I'm still really trying to find the right balance for helpfulness so it's not obvious when I'm mafia.

I also didn't realize that the Brain Coral abilities we got for TRV and Kias were just things that Capfalcon made up and weren't in the PM's. That's why I tried claiming to be a vanillager with a useless power. Which, you know, didn't help a ton either :)

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

But you continued to specifically not work with us or tell us your role.
    I killed saber for you. And Im definetly not admitting to being the serial killer. Thats just dumb.
    The day we voted for you, the mafia was down to one person. You would have been actively not trying to kill that person, so you would have targeted the network, the people known to be in the network.
    How can I activly not kill someone I have no idea about? You wernt giving me any information and the only two I knew anything about were you and assuran. And everything I knew the mafia knew and more. Hell picking two people at random would have gone better for me than to risk doubling up a kill on one of the two known net heads.

• Options
    Believe me, the red kill gave me extreme pause. I almost called the vote on Smoove, but the way Smoove explained his power gave me enough rope to believe it could feasibly come back as red (he gained the power from a fallen mafia).

• Options
    edited June 2012

Fun fact! I never targeted INANTP. I think Dave Fella busdrove himself into him that night. Or somthing weird happened. I dunno.

Also Kime being asleep for three days is kind of bullshit considering there were two mares that could have woken him up. My PM suggested there was one dude and I figured id have the edge with the extra sleepytime (two steps forward one step back) but with two mares I should have been near useless till one of them died.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    When I use the SK kills, will they appear Red or Black?
    capfalcon wrote:
    Black.

I was hoping smoove would use the SK kills and not the mafia kills to really mess with the village minds, but then an outright win became possible and the point was moot.

• Options
    Yeah, that's why I probably wouldn't have. More than the power, I just remembered you saying that baidol had excluded obi and smoove from his pm to you, so since obi came up green, I might have gone for smoove., but his power was really convincing, so probably not.

• Options
    Let me tell you how pissed I was when the two demons died. I knew I needed them.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    D'oh! Well, I bricked that up.

I don't think there was any vote analysis that I could have done. Anialos, I initially wanted to trust you, but that frantic "kill me and you're the one who causes the game" was way too mafia-like. Still, I would have gone for Malkor instead, so it wouldn't have done any good.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    What was that chameleon thing anyway?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    D'oh! Well, I bricked that up.

I don't think there was any vote analysis that I could have done. Anialos, I initially wanted to trust you, but that frantic "kill me and you're the one who causes the game" was way too mafia-like. Still, I would have gone for Malkor instead, so it wouldn't have done any good.

I enjoyed that post because there is no better way to ensure you get voted out than bitching about being voted out while attacking other players while, simultaneously, providing no logical reason for you not to be voted out.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I am gonna pretend like this game never happened.

Because I still have no clue what went on.

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    It's okay @Assuran, I have a short grudge memory.

• Options
    @Capfalcon thanks for running! I had a lot of fun and always wanted to be SK since Echo Bazaar (seriously how was jack of smiles not in there?)

Anyway can you tell me what happened with day 3? I originally put Baidol and Void Slayer down, but changed the order to Dave Fella and Warban (why the fuck did I even pick warban?)

So seeing INANTP and Void Slayer being put down is a bit confusing.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I was so sure SLyM was mafia after I died. It was basically ridiculous. Good to see I trusted in the right person.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Well, Lucedes was busdriving Baidol and INANTP that night, so that explains INANTP if Cap didn't get your second PM for some reason.

Also, Warban and Kime had an ingenious way of talking through Void Slayer. I'll let one of them tell you, because it was brilliant.

• Options
    I am really interested in the sleeping mechanic. Being asleep for three days while being unable to do anything would be terrible so I figured they had to be able to at least communicate while asleep.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    INANTP lied to me in his PM, so I was going to vig him the next night anyways

technically the only thing i lied to you about was using my magic guard on langly :V

anyway i think this game is pretty much just a case of not picking the right roles to cut when downsizing a game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Sabre's extra kill, even if it was every-other day, was overkill.

• Options
    I keep typing Saber as Sabre and I have no idea why.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Kime could still use his power even while asleep and could receive messages, but only talk to the demons. Warban sent him a message with a code to come back through Void Slayer via myself so Void wouldn't know who sent it. It was brilliant and answered a lot of our questions.

When we lost any way to bring him back when Grimmy died after Blasphemer didn't speak up as a special to save himself, I was soooooo annoyed because it also meant the village lost our supreme guard. I honestly was just going to let Kime stay there and safely out of harms way.

Assuran on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Baidol wrote: »
    I keep typing Saber as Sabre and I have no idea why.
    @Sabremau is in your head.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    KIME WAS A SLEEPWALKING GUARD! That is bananas.

At least now I dont feel so bad for picking you day one. It wasnt ment to be malicious or anything. I picked T_A for drinking the water and Kime for being in second because I thought they would be hilarious.

• Options
    Also, Saber, nice aim picking Lucedes out as someone I would work with. Lucedes is one of the few people I tend to work with on a semi-regular basis.

To be fair, I was merely a mouthpiece for Warban until he died. Everything that happened up till that point was his will.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    everyone has habits about who they work with

like how if langly is a neutral everyone will know by day 2

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Thanks Capfalcon. I had fun in my short stint.

Sorry I messed up so bad :P

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Also, Saber, nice aim picking Lucedes out as someone I would work with. Lucedes is one of the few people I tend to work with on a semi-regular basis.

To be fair, I was merely a mouthpiece for Warban until he died. Everything that happened up till that point was his will.

We all seem to have people that we get used to working with. As I get more phalla games under my belt, I'm starting to learn who those people are for everyone.

I also laughed a lot at Capfalcon's assessment of all that: "I'm currently amazed that Saber has put together the most rickety yet technically accurate chain of assumptions I've seen in a Phalla game"

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    i just worked with assuran because it worked so well last game.

also i should have ignored taking network orders and just continued switching myself with people
    best power ever, only day i didn't busdrive defensively was the day i died

Lucedes on
  • Options
    To be fair, Lucedes, your busdriver did kill off a mafia, I think. Probably not worth the trade, however.

• Options
    Rereading the pms I had with warban, I think I misinterpreted Kime's power. Warban said he was the village's super immune, which I took to mean as a guard. Kime might have just been immune to all powers.

• Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Having second thoughts about the whole "Awake people can Talk to Dreamers, but no responses."

Warban is abusing the hell out of it. Ah well. The village got in touch with one of the two guys who could talk to them.

Yes. Yes I did. If there is an abusable mechanic I will find it. Sadly Kime never lasted long enough.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    I assumed Bink was powerful, simply because he is the hero if the theme of this phalla. I was certain he was immune to magic attacks and fairly sure he was also immune to Physical.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I would like to thank the mafia for not killing me even though you knew I was working with the village.

That was a really kill heavy game, but fun.

It is kinda funny on day one I told kime there was a sleep effect in play and, well, he found out I was telling the truth.

Thanks for running this Capfalcon!

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Overall, I'd say I'm moderately pleased with how this turned out. I'm partial to really strong SK roles, since they're such an underdog. I feel that I did make the mafia a bit too strong. I think a large part of that is I'd been working on this phalla for a few weeks before I posted the thread, and I feel it was pretty balanced then. Unfortunately, when I trimmed it down, I did it in about an hour. In hindsight, the single best change I could have made was to just make the Vole Master able to make a kill count as both Physical and Magical instead of an additional kill.

Still, I think this went fairly well, and I'm getting better at writing narrations in a timely manner. This game wasn't as nerve wracking as any of my other games, so I may do another mini or even a full phalla over the summer.

Neutral
    Trojan, the Night Stallion – You are Trojan, Leader of the Night Mares. You control everyone who enters and exits the Dream World. Although you aren’t really a bad horse, you currently are in dire need of souls, which allow you to perform your job. As such, you can allow those who have been forced asleep to wake up. This is a taxing ability, so you can only perform it once a night. If you spend half a soul, you can release two people in one night. As the Master of the Dream World, you cannot be forced to remain asleep.
    In addition, you can charge people a part of their soul to be released from the Dream World.
    1/4th a soul means that the target can’t use the ability on the next night.
    ½th a soul means the ability become even/odd
    3/4ths means they get one more use of their ability
    Full soul means the target cannot use their ability for the rest of the game.
    VICTORY: Gain four souls.

Beauregard the Demon – Neutral. Since you are writing your doctoral thesis on the how demons are superior to mortals, you need to know the identity of all the Magicians alive in the game (sleeping is still alive) to exit victoriously.
    VICTORY
    You must publish your thesis (containing all of the names and identities of all Magicians alive in the game) in this PM. There are 6 Magicians in Xanth right now.
    POWER
    To aid your goals, you are a seer AND you can PM the sleeping. Since you are a demon, you cannot be killed by the physical attacks.

Serial Killer
    Horseman – Put two people to sleep each night. This counts as both a magic and physical attack. You can Physical OR Magic guard yourself each night.
    VICTORY – Be the last person awake in Xanth.

Mafia
    Com Pewter (Spoit) – Based off of the frustration Piers Antony had with his computer’s spell checker/autocorrecter, you are an evil machine that can alter reality around you based off of the text on your screen.
    POWER
    You can insert information into the narration.
    VICTORY – You must outnumber the village AND anyone who would prevent you from winning.

Brain Coral(Smoove Operator)– You like to “preserve” people in your brine and save them until you can use them. You are not exactly a nice person.
    POWER
    Each day, you get a random talent from someone who died today. This talent is one use.
    VICTORY – You must outnumber the village AND anyone who would prevent you from winning.

Storm King (Baidol) – You’re not that bad of a guy, but you want to be king again.
    Power
    You’re really out of practice with this whole storm making thing, but because everyone expects you to be good, you’re a thrall.

Demon Fiant (Cythraul)
    POWER
    You’re just a jerk and beat people up with your fists. You have a physical guard. However, you cannot use it two days in a row.

Sea Hag (Owl)
    After Rapunzle escaped from you, you decided to throw your lot in with these villains to try and find her again. Alas, she was cut from this phalla, so you’ll be looking for a long, long time.
    POWER- You can hex someone’s talent off. You can’t use this on the same person twice in a row.

Vole Master (SaberOverEasy)
    You control the one, truly unstoppable force in the universe. Magical little moles that can dig through anything.
    POWER
    You get to make a kill that is both Magic and Physical.

Dana Demoness (I needed a name to post.)
    You used to have a soul, but you don’t anymore. A little bit rubbed off on you, though, making you have a slight care towards what happens to your new friends
    POWER
    Your ever so slight caring about what happens to your friends allows you to act as a magic guard. However, you cannot use it two days in a row.

Village Special
    The Gorgon
    You are currently content with the state of affairs, but you will inherit an even magic kill (your stony glare) from Magician Trent if he is deceased.
    Victory – Eliminate all threats to the village.

Smash Ogre –
    Ogre Time! Make Bad Rhyme! But Smash nice, just like mice!
    POWER – You have an odd Physical kill.

Crombie the Soldier –
    Talent – You can always point the way to safety. You are a physical Guard.

Mare Imbrum
    Talent- You’re not really human! You are actually a Night Mare, one of the horses that bring dreams to people. As a Dream Mare, you cannot be forced to remain asleep. Also, if Trojan, the Night Mare is eliminated, you’ll gain all his powers.

Grundy Golem
    Talent – You’re able to talk with anything. Also, you’re pretty knowledgeable about life in Xanth. This combines to make you a magic guard.

Crunch Ogre –
    Talent – You’re a bit more peaceful than other Ogres, what with being in more touch with your human side. However, if Smash Ogre, your son, is eliminated, you’ll probably go back on a rampage, gaining a physical odd kill.

Magician Isis – Busdriver
    TALENT – As the Magician of Illusion, you can craft illusions to confuse your foes. This allows you to function as a Busdriver.

(Magician) Bink –
    TALENT – As the Magician of Immunity, you are immune to all harmful magic.

Magician Trent –
    POWER – You are the Magician of Transformation. You can turn someone into anything else. This is rather convient for eliminating enimes. You are the even Magic Vig

Magician Humfrey –
    TALENT – As the Magician of Information, you can compare someone’s identity to your reference book. This allows you to function as a Seer.

Magician Dor –
    TALENT – As the Magician of Inanimate Communication, you can always hear when someone is out to get a friend of yours. This allows you to function as a True Guard

Magician Surprise! –
    TALENT: You are the Magician of Talents. This allows you to act as a Magic Guard, Physical Guard, True Guard, Seer, a True Vig, and Busdrive. You can use each of these abilities once.

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I really enjoyed this, although I guess that when I needed to shift the wagon off of me I should have just epic revealed as a neutral. Oh well.

Also, for what it's worth, I tried to release a weakened kime on night one. He chose not to take my entirely sensible deal.

Thanks for running this Capfalcon. If I had one suggestion, I'd day that maybe for souls was a bit high. With so many empowered types it was going to be tricky to find people willing to give up the whole thing -- and with communication to the sleepers possible, there wasn't the desperate urgency to sell that every purchaser really wants.

GrimmyTOA on