As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Oh, I found a Wikipedia page that is pretty useful in telling you the timeline of various storylines in Marvel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publication_history_of_Marvel_comics_crossover_events

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    dammit Centi

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Centipede Damascus is a gentleman and a scholar

you would be wise to listen to him

though for the X-Men, I personall suggest Grant Morrison's New X-Men, even though it's pretty much all ret-conned now

and the recent re-start of all the X-books.

Kieron Gillen's Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men and Remender's Uncanny X-Force are great choices here

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Wow, that's awesome Centipede. Thank you. You are a classy gent.

Edit: And thanks to Maximum too. Sorry, missed your post at first.

Denada on
    Solar wrote: »
    Centipede Damascus is a gentleman and a scholar

you would be wise to listen to him

though for the X-Men, I personall suggest Grant Morrison's New X-Men, even though it's pretty much all ret-conned now

except for Cyclops' relationship with Emma

and Quentin Quire is still hanging around

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah those two are still there

Scott and Emma being together is the best part of that series

a really, really good move for both their characters

Denada wrote: »
    Wow, that's awesome Centipede. Thank you. You are a classy gent.

You're welcome! I like helping.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If doing an alternate take type RPG setting, I recommend at least reading this wiki if not the first couple volumes Exiles

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Exiles isn't the only alternate Marvel reality, buddy.

No but the Crystal Palace is a good base point for an rpg, would work well for a game environment. ( And for just a general idea for fun ways to play with the archetypes)

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    I've decided to start picking up singles for Uncanny X-Force, can someone tell me what issue starts the most current storyline? I have the first two trades and I'm working on the others but I've decided I'll fill in the gap as I go and just jump into the singles in the meantime.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Siegfried wrote: »
    I've decided to start picking up singles for Uncanny X-Force, can someone tell me what issue starts the most current storyline? I have the first two trades and I'm working on the others but I've decided I'll fill in the gap as I go and just jump into the singles in the meantime.

# 25

Just came out last month.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Has anyone been reading Cow Boy? I stumbled across it in the ComiXology store front and the Calvin and Hobbes-ish artwork caught my eye. The writing from the previews seems delightfully fun and silly, but I'm curious what people that have read the first two issues think of it.

steam_sig.png
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Siegfried wrote: »

# 25

Just came out last month.
    Thanks!

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Is Powers #11 supposed to come out next month? Amazon has volume 14, which collects 7 - 11, coming out in July.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Is Powers #11 supposed to come out next month? Amazon has volume 14, which collects 7 - 11, coming out in July.

That still hasn't come out? I've seen the solicits for Powers: FBI, so I assumed #11 was out already. It was supposedly filming the pilot for the TV show that delayed the Icon publishing of Powers, but it was supposed to be back on track by now.

Issue 10 came out this month but I guess issue 11 will come out in early July.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Issue 10 came out this month but I guess issue 11 will come out in early July.

Squee. Powers has definitely become my favorite book, and the only Bendis book besides USM that I can stand. I'm so psyched for Powers FBI.

edited June 2012
    Oops, wrong thread.

wirehead26 on
    edited June 2012
    Batman 663-666 and 700 are on sale at ComiXology. I know the B&S/Black Glove/RIP stuff comes pretty highly recommended, but I've not heard much either way regarding the other Morrison-written issues in between. Are these specific issues, and the others for that matter, worth picking up?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    663-665 are the end of the Batman and Son story arc, 666 is a story about Damian in the future, and 700 is a really neat time travel story. Definitely recommended.

Cool beans. Picked those up as well as Gaiman's "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?", which is also on sale.

steam_sig.png
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    My sister's husband's birthday is coming up, and asking me what kind of gift she should buy. I suggested she buy him a graphic novel he hasn't read (he reads avengers/x-men stuff sporadically, IIRC), but we do not really know if he's read other stuff.

I suggested Maus, but she's also asking for alternatives and asked me if I knew any good Batman or Alan Moore graphic novels (she's only mildly familiar with both names), so any advice?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    hmmm

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow is by Moore, and its counterpart, written years later by Gaiman, is Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader and it's about Batman

My sister's husband's birthday is coming up, and asking me what kind of gift she should buy. I suggested she buy him a graphic novel he hasn't read (he reads avengers/x-men stuff sporadically, IIRC), but we do not really know if he's read other stuff.

I suggested Maus, but she's also asking for alternatives and asked me if I knew any good Batman or Alan Moore graphic novels (she's only mildly familiar with both names), so any advice?

Watchmen? Killing Joke?

steam_sig.png
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Watchmen we've already read both.

Asked him discreetly a few minutes ago and found out all the DC he's read are the first 10 chapters of the new JLA that he has. Maybe my sister's suggestions are off.

You should ask him who his favorite superhero is.

edited June 2012
    Texted him. Discreetly.

Honestly my intel of him is he's a Marvel dude, followed Civil War, didn't follow Cosmic Marvel, no Spidey stuff, and is currently following Avengers vs X-Men.

I shall post again later, as soon as I get more info.

Thanks for the advice though, guys, I think I'll look into the Batman/Superman reccommendations myself.

UPDATE: He's an X-Men fan. Cyclops fan as well. But I don't know what stuff he hasn't read.

Wearingglasses on
    edited June 2012
    If he likes Avengers stuff though, you could get him something like Avengers Forever or Kurt Busiek's Avengers vol. 1

If he likes X-Men, you could get him a nice omnibus like Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men or Grant Morrison's New X-Men. Or maybe something classic like Days of Future Past or The Dark Phoenix Saga.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited June 2012
    Texted him. Discreetly.

Honestly my intel of him is he's a Marvel dude, followed Civil War, didn't follow Cosmic Marvel, no Spidey stuff, and is currently following Avengers vs X-Men.

I shall post again later, as soon as I get more info.

Thanks for the advice though, guys, I think I'll look into the Batman/Superman reccommendations myself.

UPDATE: He's an X-Men fan. Cyclops fan as well. But I don't know what stuff he hasn't read.

Volume 5 of Marvel Masterwoks Uncanny X-Men was just released a couple days ago in paperback. It includes the meat and aftermath of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Or you could the actual DPS PB, which is the whole saga but none of the aftermath. I would be surprised if he hasn't read it, but if he hasn't then, well...if he has, and doesn't have it collected in some form, it's an essential piece of any X-Men collection.

Uncanny X-Force Dark Angel Saga books are worth a look if for no other reason than it's really recent and seems to get unanimous praise.

If she's looking to spend, the whole initial set of AoA stuff was recently released in one of those sweet Marvel omni's. Looking at $70 minimum there, though.

EDIT: And if you're looking into Batman for yourself, ComiXology has a great Batman sale going right now. The first arc of Morrison's Batman run is on sale, as well as Gaiman's "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" and a standalone Morrison time travel tale.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    Alright, relayed them to my sis. Thanks guys!

UPDATE: Brother-in-law got wind of the plans, and basically said he appreciates the sentiment but he doesn't want a graphic novel. So.... yeah.

In other news, after watching the new movie, I'm hankering for post-OMD Spidey stuff (Batman goes back in the backseat). Which collection's a good jump-off point?

edited July 2012
    Aw, boo! His loss.

But yeah, if you want some good Spider-Man, you're going to want to check out the Big Time story arc. You can start with Big Time vol. 1 or you could go for the Big Time Ultimate Collection, which has three volumes' worth of issues in it. It's good stuff.

Centipede Damascus on
    Hey, I saw that when we were browsing for a gift before we got stopped! Good to hear that it's good, I'll come back for it.

BTW, to all of you guys that reccommended various people to read Kraven's Last Hunt, I am belatedly thanking you, since I bought it a couple of months ago and enjoyed it.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    that reminds me. I have the spider island HC. just had to get it, the premise seemed too fantastic. now I want to pick up this big time collection but it looks like there's 3-4 missing issues between them. where are those collected?

edit: nvm i found them. for some reason 662-665 is listed at the end of the description of what issues are in spider island. That's good to know. the big time collection fits perfectly with spider island it seems.

initiatefailure on
    edited July 2012
    How much of Ultimate Spider-Man 1-71 is worth picking up?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    All of it, really

CYpGAPn.png
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    How necessary are the Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy trades to understanding War of Kings and Realm of Kings?

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Not very.
    I just read WoK before I read the Nova and GotG tie-ins and there wasn't much overlap.
    They're good so you should definitely read them, but if you're having trouble getting your hands on them that shouldn't stop you from progressing through WoK and RoK.

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Ya GotG crossed into the event somewhat, but you could miss their part and be fine with the story. Nova was more a side story dealing with the fallout for most of it also.

But also as Turambar said, they are really good ( I preferred Gotg's arc to WoK itself) and should catch if you get a chance, but not needed.