As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You think this letter on my head stands for [Awesome Moments]?! NSF56K

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I picked up DC Comics Presents #97 at the LCS because I had to see this Bizarro scene, it is a thing of beauty:

dccomicspresents97bizarrorockettocenterofearth.jpg

Nothing like being proud your kid will die first.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Brrr. Me hate winter.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    From Sandman #64; the Furies approach the gate to Dream's kingdom, intending to do him harm. His three loyal gatekeepers stand between them.
    XT8Zb.jpg

tPsRd.jpg

"You killed my friend, woman. Stray from your path," is such a great bit.

Munch on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    god, i love sandman

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Sandman is so damn good

Sandman is pretty great. I really need to buy all the books, as I read them through the public library. Then the Omnibuses started to come out, and I got all wishy-washy on what format I wanted it in.

Anyhow, here's a bit from Wolverine #41, by Stuart Moore and C.P. Smith. Wolverine has been dispatched to a small, African nation, in the midst of a coup, with orders to retrieve the president's infant daughter. He proceeds to go all Lone Wolf and Cub, alternately strapping the girl to his back and chest, and sneaking his way towards the border.

Naturally, his luck runs out, within spitting distance of his objective.
    nlsYt.jpg

ZGiMi.jpg

DF2it.jpg

I absolutely love that panel with Wolverine, riddled with arrows, and a single, "Dah?" coming from underneath him.

The issue's basically a done-in-one action movie, starring Wolverine, and I think it works. A large part of that, is that it takes Wolverine out of his comfort zone, while remaining true to his character. His invulnerability, healing factor, and brawling ability, mean absolutely nothing, when he has a baby strapped to him.

And it puts him, a guy with a reputation for befriending teenagers, in a situation where he might actually have to fight child soldiers.

It's by no means revolutionary, but it's a solid one-shot, with a neat premise. Stuart Moore's one of those writers that I feel really deserves a shot at a big title, after doing great work on Firestorm, as well as his Eathlight manga, for TokyoPop. And C.P. Smith's art has just the right combination of photo-realistic grit, and real storytelling ability. He also does this thing I love with Wolverine's eyes, where they're depicted as bright white, with a lot of little wrinkles around them, that gives him a really expressive quality.

from the preview for tomorrow's MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE #6

downtime on the Lost Light
    prv12785_pg4.jpg

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    that's really good, munch

There's something about the imagery of a dude bristling with arrows, that just looks really cool.

Here's something from Rokkin #3. Last issue saw Arness escaping from slavery, discovering his goddess-granted ability to turn to stone, getting drunk, picking a fight with an entire pub, forgetting his magic word, and being saved by a mysterious swordswoman.

This issue opens with two two dramatically outnumbered, until Arness' savior reveals she also has a bit of magic up her sleeve; a sword that allows her to create duplicates of herself.
    tBEa5.jpg

After clobbering everyone at the bar, the two flee, making camp when Arness attempts to ride his horse backwards, falls off, and promptly blacks out. After awakening, the two share some jokes, before the swordswoman, Evy, reveals her origin story. Like Arness, her village was also wiped out by Lord Vulmax's legions. And like Arness, the gods gave her a gift, the Sword of Echoes, and the promise that she would never again be alone.

Unfortunately, the gift also carries a curse; the more duplicates she creates, the less control she has over them. Create too many, and there's the risk that they'll all start murdering one another for dominance, until only one remains.

Bonded by their shared tragedies, the two decide to stick together, and take the fight to Lord Vulmax. But first, they need supplies.

AwWqD.jpg
    I love that top panel. Every character there, looks like they have an interesting story to tell. Also, while I appreciate the poke at chainmail bikinis, it kind of loses its impact when Evy's wearing a bikini top.

XC3h5.jpg
    I also love the Arness has these moments of total dopiness, which keeps him from being the stock, serious fantasy hero.

Invading the Medusa's lair, Evy summons forth several duplicates, each fanning out to locate the monster or sword. One unlucky Evy, finds both.

mAjIj.jpg

The medusa gives Arness the same treatment, and it seems to succeed, for a moment. Then, she realizes that his hair didn't turn to stone, like the rest of him.

awr3O.jpg

The Medusa finally defeated, and his ability revealed to her, Evy asks Arness how he came to his power. He replies, "Like You, Evy, the Gods have empowered me with a gift. And I'm about to get another."

l9IYE.jpg
    Fuck yeah.

edited June 2012
    That looks pretty awesome!

The art in the first splash page is really, really nice

Solar on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I saw those in a dump bin as a bundle so I guess I know what I will pick up later this week

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    That looks like a really fun series.

It's seriously everything I like in fantasy comics. I wish it would have had a much longer run.

Also, if anyone wants to check it out for themselves, but can't find it , MyComicShop.com has them all in stock, for under two bucks a pop.

• VermisVermis Registered User regular
    Also, while I appreciate the poke at chainmail bikinis, it kind of loses its impact when Evy's wearing a bikini top.

No

Shit

I could already see it when you said 'mysterious swordswoman'.

Buut... the whole thing still looks very good.

rulksig.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Vermis wrote: »
    Also, while I appreciate the poke at chainmail bikinis, it kind of loses its impact when Evy's wearing a bikini top.
    No
    Shit
    I could already see it when you said 'mysterious swordswoman'.
    Buut... the whole thing still looks very good.

To be fair, the one she wears is plate. Chainmail is so last century.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I have no idea if this is real, but it really should be:
    SexyHat.jpg

Edited

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This is how you do a superfriends reference:

tumblr_m6keu8vaWt1r7ni1io1_1280.jpg

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Seriously.

Little League Superman is the best.

Also that first panel cracks me up so much.

Kyougu on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Poor Wonder Woman.

wonderwoman328.png

manwiththemachinegun on
    hilariously, Kate Beaton's Wonder Woman is actually more fun than regular Wonder Woman

edited July 2012
    She's handled much better in the DCAU than in regular comics I think. I haven't heard much about any of the new stuff.

But yeah, five years ago if you asked me to list anything interesting about WW I would have said, "She got an invisible jet? ... I think"

The adventures of sexy Batman is pretty great too. She should do some Superman stuff one of these days.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    That post reminded me to catch up on Little League, I was way behind.

And this one is just D'aaawwwwwww
    tumblr_m68v7oP3dO1r7ni1io1_1280.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This is how you do a superfriends reference:

tumblr_m6keu8vaWt1r7ni1io1_1280.jpg

Had a rough day and that made me laugh when I really needed one!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Can anybody tell me where this is from?

qLD4RBKopk2sgwOLO_K6zQ2.jpg

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Dark Reign: Fantastic Four

I think

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    It's from Dark Reign: Fantastic Four.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Huh, I would have assumed that it came from 1602: Fantastick Four

Centipede Damascus on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Huh, I would have assumed that it came from 1602: Ye Four Most Fantastick

i'm gonna use that line on my lady

tumblr_m6gnvqcY9V1rw7k0no1_500.png

Namor's bachelor pad, from Fantastic Four #11

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So... the depths and Atlantis weren't hired for a short trip?
    unchartered?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    boo!

get off the stage!

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Something something Blasting Clams something something.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    MZ304a.jpg

Marvel Zombies 3 #4

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Zompire dammit. You're a zompire.

Vambie is the dumbest name, I swear to god.

But the important thing is that he cannot be stopped.

A vampire is already undead, as is a zombie. A combination of the two would cancel each other out, making it alive, and therefore exceptionally easy to kill.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    A vampire is already undead, as is a zombie. A combination of the two would cancel each other out, making it alive, and therefore exceptionally easy to kill.
    I think you may be getting your undead math mixed up here.
    I'm pretty sure that combining zombieism and vampirism make some kind of super-undead, thus even more difficult to kill. I mean, it'd end up possessing both the zombies noted immunity to garlic and silver and the vampires resistance to getting shot in the brain.

This discussion has been closed.