As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Walking Dead.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    My bet is on a time jump as well. We'll get a ton of craziness in issue 100 with the last few pages introducing us to a time jump. It serves to further differentiate them from the show as well.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be too shocked by that.
    Especially if they kill Rick off beforehand. He's said before that Rick isn't immortal and the story would continue without him, so...

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Just read #99. My thoughts...
    I don't know if I really feel a fastforward happening. I can't explain it.

I 100% see Andrea dying while being the only main person back at the community and the bad guys attacking next issue. And after Rick's look back at her...you know she is fucked.

I feel like Carl is in for it or something big is going to happen to him. Just by his dialogue and then just thinking to myself after reading the user mail part. Someone suggested Carl should get bit somewhere where he can't be amputated. After he doesn't turn into a zombie, they realize that the part of his head that was shot off through his eye prevented him from becoming a zombie. And then the person went off on a whole evil doctor storyline where people disappear and are being operated on to replicate Carl's condition.[/spoilers]

Kind of a boring issue, but it is just setting things up for #100 basically. July needs to get here!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    See, I noted a lot of the same things but came out with almost the opposite interpretation.
    I read it as if it was almost setting up a time jump. We had a few things ending in the issue and a few things beginning. I think they were setting up a long time separation between the groups. Also, I thought that a lot of the conversations had in the issue were about framing where the people are going from a character perspective - which will give the jump some added impact.

More than likely I'm wrong though.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Double post is something something.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    See, I noted a lot of the same things but came out with almost the opposite interpretation.
    I read it as if it was almost setting up a time jump. We had a few things ending in the issue and a few things beginning. I think they were setting up a long time separation between the groups. Also, I thought that a lot of the conversations had in the issue were about framing where the people are going from a character perspective - which will give the jump some added impact.

More than likely I'm wrong though.
    Ok. So, the jump happens. Where are we at?

Glenn, Maggie, baby are at the hilltop. Andrea probably dead in issue #100. Maybe Rick dead and Carl grown up and dating Sophia? Michonne still the same but older.

I don't see things staying in the community. I see the hilltop maybe getting way larger. Obviously, everything depends on how far into the future they want to go. Maybe so far that Carl is around Rick's age or a little younger?

It definitely felt like some things were closed and a few things could've been set up for the future now that you say it. Carl saying he wants to go everywhere Rick does. Maybe Carl dies and Rick has a memento of him that he always keeps with him (stays current time)? Maybe we time jump and Carl is older and has a memento of Rick? Maybe they both get killed in #100 since Carl wants to be with Rick at all times when he goes out, so now they will be together foorreevverrr.

I just don't know what to expect for #100. I am excited and scared and everything else for the next issue.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm with SatanIMM, #99 seemed to really
    say a time jump is coming. How big a jump, don't know, but the way Rick constantly tells Carl it won't always be like this, talk about going to the Hilltop, even the stuff about Andrea moving in it makes me think something is coming.

I mentioned it would be nice to see this world in the future where the zombies have all died out (although the reveal of that all black zombie last issue makes me wonder if Kirkman has an out for the decomposing thing), and people are just trying to rebuild society. Maybe they move into a real town or city and try and build out from there

• Options
    I keep thinking that....
    ...Andrea is going to die being the only actual fighter left in the community before the attack. Then you mention about the future stuff and her asking to move in. Maybe she is the only one who survives the attack on the community via sniping the shit out of everyone since it seems they use mostly melee weapons or suck at shooting. She goes all Tyrese on these guys like he did with the zombies. That would be pretty awesome.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    The way he's heavily implying Andrea will die actually makes me think she will live. Or maybe that's just what he wants me to think.

I have a really bad feeling for Glenn and Maggie though.

• Options
    Invisible wrote: »
    The way he's heavily implying Andrea will die actually makes me think she will live. Or maybe that's just what he wants me to think.

I have a really bad feeling for Glenn and Maggie though.

Yea, I am not confident about that second part.
    It could be the smart thing to do or maybe Rick and the gang get back in time to help the community, but in doing so they leave the hilltop open to get massacred (including Glenn, Maggie, baby).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    I think that if it happens
    Andrea will live. I think Rick is going to live too. Same with Carl and Sophia - so I guess that would be bad news for Glenn and Maggie. I think the separation between Rick and Andrea will be a plot point, with them trying to get back together. Actually, I have no idea. This feels like I'm writing fanfiction so maybe I'll just leave my guess as "time jump".

• Options
    I am never one for fan fiction, but I love anything talked about in here. All of it seems possible.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    @ Redfield, your Carl idea is damn interesting, I kinda hope they go that route.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    #100 this week. Woo. Can't wait. Anyone besides myself getting a few different covers? It is supposed to be a double issue or just a larger one, so we should have a nice amount of things to talk about on Wednesday.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    So I went to the midnight release of #100, and I'm gonna put the rest in spoilers.

SPOILERS FOR #100
    I felt physically ill during the main part. I actually still feel sick. Just... Damn.

The way he went out wasn't heroic, or noble, he was crying and begging while he was brutally murdered. I just... wow.

I'm completely blown away.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Khildith wrote: »
    So I went to the midnight release of #100, and I'm gonna put the rest in spoilers.

SPOILERS FOR #100
    I felt physically ill during the main part. I actually still feel sick. Just... Damn.

The way he went out wasn't heroic, or noble, he was crying and begging while he was brutally murdered. I just... wow.

I'm completely blown away.

Man :(

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Oh God. A sad face. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Noon needs to get here so I can get my copies.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    The setup was pretty great. (99 and 100 spoilers)
    End 99 with a deep sense of dread that the town is about to get rocked, and open up on the town for a few pages. Cut to the road crew, who are worried about the town while they're suffering their minor setback but is otherwise alright.

Then the shadow of the noose.

It's one of those things that you really should have seen coming, but you're turning through the pages so fast just to get through it, with your mind racing from the dread of knowing that some horrible shit is going to happen inside this book, that you never see it coming. And that's the worst (best) part of this issue: previous issues have trained people to know to expect the worst, especially out of a landmark issue, and they go into it bracing themselves for it. You think you know what's going to happen (the town is going to get slaughtered), so you let your guard down a little bit when they cut to the road crew, and then you're screwed. You knew something was going to happen, you braced yourself for it, and they still managed to not only get you with event itself, but also surprise you with it. The horrible thing is still horrible to experience, but it's not as horrible as the realization that you just got blindsided. Again.

Past experiences had me simply dreading reading this issue. I, too, felt physically ill before, during, and after reading it. I mean, landmark issue, TWD, trouble already brewin' anyway? No way something isn't going to go down. I sat looking at the cover for a few minutes just trying to bring myself to open it.

EDIT: It was fun going back and rereading all of the speculation about this issue and
    realizing we all should have known better. Time jumps? Large battle at the town? Happy endings?

The idea that Rick's group becomes the "something to fear" was the best, though. And I think I still prefer it to what actually happened. I still feel like we're rehashing the Prison/Governor stuff. The book's still fine, and I'll still keep reading it, but that would have been a real nice way to shake things up. And when part of Negan's group came knocking on Alexandria's door only to get blown off, I thought it might actually happen. But alas, I should have known better. Too hopeful an ending for this group.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I didn't like it. It's a direct rehash of the Governor arc and feels a bit like a cop-out to me.

Don't get me wrong. What happened provoked a reaction from me but I really feel like this wasn't very "land mark" at all.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »

EDIT: It was fun going back and rereading all of the speculation about this issue and
    realizing we all should have known better. Time jumps? Large battle at the town? Happy endings?

The idea that Rick's group becomes the "something to fear" was the best, though. And I think I still prefer it to what actually happened. I still feel like we're rehashing the Prison/Governor stuff. The book's still fine, and I'll still keep reading it, but that would have been a real nice way to shake things up. And when part of Negan's group came knocking on Alexandria's door only to get blown off, I thought it might actually happen. But alas, I should have known better. Too hopeful an ending for this group.

We were young an idealistic three weeks ago. Oh those were the days...

I do agree with SIMM that it really wasn't groundbreaking, and it seemed more like this issue than others was made for the newcomer who might be buying #100 for the milestone purpose as well as TV only watchers.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

We were young an idealistic three weeks ago. Oh those were the days...

I do agree with SIMM that it really wasn't groundbreaking, and it seemed more like this issue than others was made for the newcomer who might be buying #100 for the milestone purpose as well as TV only watchers.

If that were truly the case then they
    would have brought Lori back, in human form, just to have Negan bash her head in.

I think I used "landmark" instead of "milestone", which is what I meant. My bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Thoughts!
    :'(

My gut feels like crap right now after reading this. In a good way.

I thought there was going to be more of a fight or something since we have been building up to this issue with those covers with the silhouetted guys. I am disappointed a little in that regard since I started buying single issues at #95 in anticipation of some crazy shit happening leading up to an epic conclusion in #100.

So, where do things go from here? They are letting Rick and company go back to the community/hilltop now? They expect them to not try and fuck up Negan and the gang just because they crushed Glenn's skull? Is the community still going to be attacked?

I agree with the point that they made us concentrate on the community and not feel like Rick and them were in danger on the road. I liked that.

edit:

Also...
    ...I kind of don't give a fuck about Negan. We JUST met the guy and he kills someone. I still don't fear him. OoOoOh, the scary man wants us to give him supplies. Pfft.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    Issue #100 was brutal
    The ironic thing of course is the "saviors" ugh killed the one person that could probably be the most valuable to them gathering wise. Not sure what to think about things. Where does the story go from here? The zombies have taken a serious back seat to the crazy man versus man plotlines.

• Options
    Sirson wrote: »
    Issue #100 was brutal
    The ironic thing of course is the "saviors" ugh killed the one person that could probably be the most valuable to them gathering wise. Not sure what to think about things. Where does the story go from here? The zombies have taken a serious back seat to the crazy man versus man plotlines.

That is a nice perspective on what happened.
    From some of these covers, I figured there would have been a huge battle with the zombies overtaking the battlefield. Maybe soon?

I just feel like for a huge issue there should have been more happening. In the write in section, Adlard makes comment about issue #106. Maybe something else big happening? Do I continue with single issues or do I keep up until then?! Bah. So much money.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    The comment about 106 was in reference to the fact that it's HIS 100th issue - hence the milestone comment. All kinds of people online misread what he was saying.

• Options
    The comment about 106 was in reference to the fact that it's HIS 100th issue - hence the milestone comment. All kinds of people online misread what he was saying.

Meow. Gotcha. Carry on. :P

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Sorry, I was ipad typing and was going for brevity. Didn't mean to sound like a feline.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Sad to see this particular character go, but it had to happen some time.

The time jump idea would have been neat, though.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Ap0cAp0c Registered User new member
    I hated episode #100 and Kirkman for writing it. I made a comic to express myself

• Options
    I say meh to your comic. If people get mad that characters die in this series, that is their own fault. Shit has gone down since the beginning.

Could issue #100 been a little more exciting? Maybe. Still, things are pretty shaken up. Let's just see where it goes from here. And by that, I mean I want to get back to collecting trades (which I am up to date on) and stop getting single issues. It is going to be a hard process.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    At least it wasn't the character they were heavily implying. I figure one of those two were marked for death for their decision, but I wasn't expecting how brutal it would be. I was really worried would lose an entire town worth of people again.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Invisible wrote: »
    At least it wasn't the character they were heavily implying. I figure one of those two were marked for death for their decision, but I wasn't expecting how brutal it would be. I was really worried would lose an entire town worth of people again.

The worst part about it for me
    was he called out Maggie's name after the initial blow. Horrible.

I've been thinking about it, and I think I can still see the Alexandria group still coming out as the "something to fear." Probably not in the next two issues, but
    Rick sounded pretty adamant that he was going to kill Negan. I think Glen getting whacked will just strengthen Rick's resolve and make him even more of a hard mofo than he is now. He's going to kill Negan alright, and he's going to take every single one of his group out with him. I see it kind of playing out like the opposite of the end of the Governor arc. Instead of ultimately running like they did at the end of that arc, Rick will decide that it's all or nothing this time and he and (probably) Hilltop will combine forces and supplies for a longish war that will ultimately result in Rick standing over Negan's near-dead body.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think it would be a cool juxtaposition to have Rick go back to the prison and get the tank in order to take out Negan's crew. Flip the prison arc on its head a bit and give some perspective to the Governor and his crew through what we know about Rick's.

• Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    I think it would be a cool juxtaposition to have Rick go back to the prison and get the tank in order to take out Negan's crew. Flip the prison arc on its head a bit and give some perspective to the Governor and his crew through what we know about Rick's.

Damn it. Now I'll be disappointed if this doesn't happen.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Green wrote: »

Damn it. Now I'll be disappointed if this doesn't happen.

Thiiiiiiiiiiis!

edit: Although, how far is the prison from where they are now? Would the tank even have enough gas to make it for the trip?

I'd love for Rick to go back there and run into former group members. Who was killed and not shot in the head at the prison war? Hershel? Otis? Lorie? He could walk by Tyreese's decomposing body and head. Maybe just to get some perspective on their current situation and think of a plan. I dunno. Just talking out loud.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    he was going to kill Negan. I think Glen getting whacked will just strengthen Rick's resolve and make him even more of a hard mofo than he is now. He's going to kill Negan alright, and he's going to take every single one of his group out with him. I see it kind of playing out like the opposite of the end of the Governor arc. Instead of ultimately running like they did at the end of that arc, Rick will decide that it's all or nothing this time and he and (probably) Hilltop will combine forces and supplies for a longish war that will ultimately result in Rick standing over Negan's near-dead body.

I was thinking that this would be probably how it's going to go down, but it also seems a little too predictable and obvious. I have a feeling Negan and the Saviors (ugh that name) will be around for a long time.

Sirson on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I read the first two collected volumes but stopped afterwards. My impression was that they basically keep telling the three same plots - 1) zombies kill people, 2) people are worse enemies than zombies and 3) good guys have to lose some of their humanity to survive 1) and 2). Most of what I've read about the comics confirms this, but I keep thinking there must be more to the series than escalating versions of the same plot points over and over. Basically my question is this: is the comic series more varied than that, and what keeps you guys reading?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    You mean the first two trade paperback volumes? If so, you barely got into anything.

The only time I have felt the story might be recycled is with the Governor and the current story, but I am holding judgement until everything plays out.

Other than that, I have enjoyed everything and never felt like things were getting stale. I think things have been varied enough.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    I would argue that the Alexandria stuff has been a bit of a thematic recycle of the Governor/prison stuff, but I thought the book up until the middle of the Alexandria stuff was all pretty fresh. There's still the chance it could end on a different note, too.

Giving up on the series so early really isn't a very good idea unless you're left completely cold by what you've read so far. Otherwise I strongly suggest sticking with the series until the end of the prison arc at the very least, which is volume 6 or 7 I think? TWD has been pretty consistently strong throughout its 100 issues, though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the beginning and the farm episode, but already at the beginning of the prison arc my heart wasn't really in it any more. I think Kirkman's pretty good when it comes to plot, but I don't particularly like his way with language, especially for a comic.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods