As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Things are starting to shape up!

• draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    To use the lifts you have to go into the main menu once you're near them and you get an option to use the lift. Sometimes it will take a minute for the game to recognize you're at the lift so just hang out by the door until you get the option

You'll be awarded 4 leves every 12 hours at 8am and 8pm est, so 8 a day. They stack up to 99, so of you dOnt play for a week you'll come back to 56 leves. Leves reset as you turn them in so if you grab 4 leves, do them, you can go back to same counter and get 4 new ones, you don't have to travel to different cities anymore. It's especially nice when you get 30+ and theres 2 camps available at each city. So for example, you can grab 4 for cedar wood and 4 for Cassiopeia before heading back

• burningthoughtburningthought EorzeaRegistered User regular
    Hmm...i'll check it out again later; I saw the lift thing the other day, and I had no idea what it was; but it didn't seem to do anything at all. Maybe I missed something; or maybe I need to progress in the story more or something.

Yeah sometimes it can take a moment for the (!) icon to appear in the minibar. The reason it's so bad in that particular area is because the Wellhead lift is located between Zone A and Zone B in Ul'dah and it takes a moment for the server to process where everything is.

• S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    Hmm...i'll check it out again later; I saw the lift thing the other day, and I had no idea what it was; but it didn't seem to do anything at all. Maybe I missed something; or maybe I need to progress in the story more or something.

Did you manage to find a shield? I'm sure I can craft one, with my powers of carpentry, if you need it.

XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yeah I got a shield but I haven't logged in for a week or so; been playing too much FFXI. O_o

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Hey guys, just dropping a huge update bomb since E3. There's a ton of brand new info out on the upcoming 2.0 release.

Bluegartr has a pretty awesome thread that covers everything from E3 plus the EN/JP interviews: bluegartr.com/threads/111087-FFXIV-2.0-Screenshots-from-E3

Andriasang had a top-level overview of some of the closed doors stuff SE showed: andriasang.com/con1d3/ffxiv_interview/

Andriasang also had a lot more pictures: andriasang.com/con1bs/ffxiv_version2_screens/

The Lodestone also had a lot of the translated interviews from the JP side, which had some more indepth stuff than the EN side: forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/14967-Translations-%28JP-to-English%29/page376

EidvX.jpg
    Kfapk.jpg
    SIETq.jpg

Have fun catching up on all the 2.0 excitement. It also looks like that Promo site won't be going up until around August.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    That is one sexy ui. Very excited!

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    FORGET ABOUT THE UI WHEN DO WE GET THE FREAKIN' GUNS

That is looking pretty good, I must say; pretty much gonna have to reroll my dude if the character creator has that many options. Also, I'm pleased to see the game is correcting the problem of not having enough moogles. Still holding out hope for the chance to feed them kupo nuts.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    It was stated quite a while ago that everyone would be able to redo their characters because of the rendering changes.

That terrain is also very very blurry.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
    edited June 2012
    Stolls wrote: »
    FORGET ABOUT THE UI WHEN DO WE GET THE FREAKIN' GUNS

That is looking pretty good, I must say; pretty much gonna have to reroll my dude if the character creator has that many options. Also, I'm pleased to see the game is correcting the problem of not having enough moogles. Still holding out hope for the chance to feed them kupo nuts.

Yeah they're gonna let you re-customize your character when 2.0 launches. New races, hairdos and all that stuff.

EDIT: As the for the terrain, they've said they're still working on the graphics, a lot of what was shown isn't 100% yet.

burningthought on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    i don't know what it is about that screenshot but i'm getting eye fatigue just looking at that interface

interrobang on
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    i don't know what it is about that screenshot but i'm getting eye fatigue just looking at that interface

Its just too HD for you.

steam_sig.png
  • ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    So i broke down last night and got the game! IGN: Tselle Aoi, im on Masamune, and i started in Ul'dah. I am level 6! So if anyone would like to message me or get me into a link shell so i can bombard you with newb questions, that would be cool :P

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
    Our old linkshell lies in tatters, sadly. I was going to find another when I'm putting more regular time into the game. Until 2.0, at least, when I'll likely find a more EU friendly time zoned server to move to.

PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    I got a new video card and decided to log in to test it out. I turned everything all the way up. It was horrible. Oh god this game is mean to my new video card.

I have no idea what to do anymore though. My immediate goal would be to get sweet looking Dragoon gear, but I need a group for that and I'm far too shy to take the initiative. I just feel terrible at the game overall, no matter what.

And I'm still waiting to be able to rebind the 1-9 hotkeys.

• ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    Well, if anyone is interested in adding me as a friend or something that would be nice! I would like to play with some PAers.

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    Well, if anyone is interested in adding me as a friend or something that would be nice! I would like to play with some PAers.

If I get on sometime soon and can remember, I'll add you. My own character is Gathol Duare.

Sejarki wrote: »
    I got a new video card and decided to log in to test it out. I turned everything all the way up. It was horrible. Oh god this game is mean to my new video card.

I have no idea what to do anymore though. My immediate goal would be to get sweet looking Dragoon gear, but I need a group for that and I'm far too shy to take the initiative. I just feel terrible at the game overall, no matter what.

And I'm still waiting to be able to rebind the 1-9 hotkeys.

The current version has a lot of performance issues, but that's why they're rebuilding everything from the ground up for the 2.0 update. Your immediate goal should be experiencing all the seventh umbral era content while it's still there.

Its just too HD for you.

i dunno it's too... glossy? i can't even say "THERE'S TOO MUCH SHIT ON SCREEN" cause i played wow from launch up til cata and if you weren't heavily modding your UI that game was the king of having way too much shit on screen and it never bothered me

then again those are just promotional renders, aren't they? maybe the real UI won't bother me as much

edited June 2012
    VANILLA DOUBLE POST EXTRAVAGANZA

interrobang on
    edited June 2012
    VANILLA TRIPLE POST EXTRAVAGANZA

interrobang on

Its just too HD for you.

i dunno it's too... glossy? i can't even say "THERE'S TOO MUCH SHIT ON SCREEN" cause i played wow from launch up til cata and if you weren't heavily modding your UI that game was the king of having way too much shit on screen and it never bothered me

then again those are just promotional renders, aren't they? maybe the real UI won't bother me as much

No those are real time screenshots, SE showed off the new stuff behind the curtains for certain press people. The UI will be heavily customizable so if you don't like it you should be able to tweak it at 2.0.

Sejarki wrote: »

If I get on sometime soon and can remember, I'll add you. My own character is Gathol Duare.

Have added you both to my friend list. Not sure when I'd catch you online, I'm in GMT here. But just in case.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    So far, I've basically Ignored FFXIV. I did play quite a lot of FFXI, but between the launch mess and a general lack of MMO interest I didn't pay attention. For whatever reason, I noticed this 2.0 thing and I think it's fascinating.

Particularly when you consider the F2P model being thrown at every failing MMO out there, it's become this great handwashing sort of thing. Kind of like, well, we can't make this work, Let's go Free to Play! Even SW:ToR is talking about it. That Square has decided to totally rebuild their game is interesting, and seems to speak of a certain dedication to their audience. At any rate, I ordered a boxed version, I want to see how this plays out now.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Wow. The game is looking drastically different now. Have they gone as far as reworking zones?

Can you solo still or have they messed with that?

Krathoon on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Those screens are from the upcoming 2.0; zones and such are still the same currently.

You'll have to talk to someone else re: soloing. I'm still subbed, I want the cheaper sub price for 2.0 if it ends up being good; but personally I'm just playing FFXI right now.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I've done my quest chains for the 3 Grand Companies and joined The Maelstrom.
    I have 2400 seals, what's going to be the quickest way to get the last 600 for my chocobo license?

Steam ID - The Starwind
    Depending on your level, I'd say easiest way is to head to Cassiopeia Hollow and do company leves there. Each one will give you about 90. If you're 40+ you can do company leves at Camp Bald Knoll for closer to 150 a leve. Also if you check some quest guides theres usually a few Maelstrom quests scattered about Limsa Lominsa that reward like 5-700 seals too, maybe about 20 of those total tho thru lvl 50

• Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    What's the worldless thing they are talking about? A single shard? Or a single World instanced all to hell?

draw4wild wrote: »
    Depending on your level, I'd say easiest way is to head to Cassiopeia Hollow and do company leves there. Each one will give you about 90. If you're 40+ you can do company leves at Camp Bald Knoll for closer to 150 a leve. Also if you check some quest guides theres usually a few Maelstrom quests scattered about Limsa Lominsa that reward like 5-700 seals too, maybe about 20 of those total tho thru lvl 50

I'm level 31, the leve at the hollow is giving 60 seals each, so I'll take a look for those quests around LL, see if I can pick any up. Don't really want to repeat the same leve 10 times in a row to get the 600.

Steam ID - The Starwind
    What's the worldless thing they are talking about? A single shard? Or a single World instanced all to hell?

From what I understand the wordless content will group the servers up in say groups of 3, and when you go to queue for that content, it'll pick out people in those 3 servers. I vaguely remember something about that in an interview, i'll see if I can't pull it up after I get off from work.

S-Starwind wrote: »
    draw4wild wrote: »

I'm level 31, the leve at the hollow is giving 60 seals each, so I'll take a look for those quests around LL, see if I can pick any up. Don't really want to repeat the same leve 10 times in a row to get the 600.

The main scenario quests will give you seals iirc. There's also a few scattered quests that award higher amounts as well, there's one quest near broken water for the immortal flames. Last I checked you could farm seals pretty easily in Totorak, but you're a bit too low at the moment. Once you hit level 50 company seals will start flowing a bit easier.

I'm not looking to farm seals just yet. Just want to get my chocobo as soon as possible.
    My gobbue is funny but he takes up far too much screen space. Have to mount up in first person view.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    So my friend and I are resubbing to check out what they've changed and get situated for the upcoming 2.0.

I haven't played in a few months, and I think my highest job is 14 or so (yeah, we played for a few days then decided to wait for the upcoming changes).

Is there any quests or anything specific that was added that we should do asap? Or just jump in and start leveling?

Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • GooglywormGooglyworm Registered User regular
    So I resubbed, a lot has changed for the better. I find that logging in for small bite size sessions to be more satisfying than long hauls. Starwind, mind if I add you? We are roughly the same level and would be good to pal about with someone when I'm on. I'm GMT too.

Sejarki and Ghost, I'll add you as well if that's cool?

Name is Remy Winchester in game.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    So my friend and I are resubbing to check out what they've changed and get situated for the upcoming 2.0.

I haven't played in a few months, and I think my highest job is 14 or so (yeah, we played for a few days then decided to wait for the upcoming changes).

Is there any quests or anything specific that was added that we should do asap? Or just jump in and start leveling?

Not a bad idea to practice a bit with leves, get a feel for job abilities. I forget exactly when those changed, but it took me a while to get used to THM spell lists. Classic jobs are back too - Warrior, White/Black Mage, etc. - but have level prereqs and attached quests. One thing you'll want to do almost immediately is the inn quest; one for each town, gives you access to a free room at the inn, which A) can be set as a return point, and B) grants an XP bonus (percentage boost, I believe) if you log out in one. Grand companies are also worth looking into, in part because for a little legwork you get a chocobo you can summon at will.

It's my understanding that the plot will radically change come 2.0; they're currently running Seventh Umbral Era content, which presumably goes away once 2.0 rolls around and the whole ballgame changes. While it's not super important to check out, it has piqued my interest so far and it's worth looking into once you've gotten your feet wet.

Lastly, the market wards have rather crudely grafted the old (better) auction house system onto XIV. You can still manually search the wards in each city if you like, but auction tables now let you buy directly without having to run around or warp between cities, for a small fee. Selling lots vendor trash is still a pain, but getting gear is much less of a hassle.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    S-Starwind wrote: »
    I'm not looking to farm seals just yet. Just want to get my chocobo as soon as possible.
    My gobbue is funny but he takes up far too much screen space. Have to mount up in first person view.

If you do the Grand Company Quests up till you're eligible for a chocobo, you should have more than enough seals to buy it. If you used up seals buying stuff then yeah you'll have to do the leve grind to get the required seals.

Finished the pre-requisite quests with 2300 seals. Although I hadn't done the Ifrit chain.
    Found a couple of quests rewarding seals and got my chocobo last night. Named him Kwehnsbury. Now I can see where the hell I'm going while mounted ^_^

Feel free to add me Googly, character name is Rykosho Hoshikaze.

Even though I'm now officially signed up with the Maelstrom, is it normal to still have a couple of twin adder quests in my journal?
    One is a dungeon/instance, the other is, I think, the start of the Ifrit chain.

Steam ID - The Starwind
    Now that you're maelstrom you can't get a reward from the twin adder quests. If you drop those they should become available from the maelstrom.

I can run anyone through the imperial devices quest in totorak and I need the drops for seals anyway so anyone on masamune feel free to message me, Selis Semidey. I can also help solo pretty much any of the job quests up to the 45 ones

I'll do that then. I'll add you as well. If I don't catch you online this week then I have a week off next, so I'll be on it more.
    Almost forgot about my dragoon quest.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Hmmm so hopped on and was playing my lvl 15 archer some this morning.

Few questions with the overhauled systems.

Should I be soloing even leveled mobs or a few levels below?
    When do people start partying up (20+, 30+)?
    What level does this grand company stuff start up?
    Any reason for me to go to the other capital cities now or just stay near the one I'm at and keep leveling?

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)