As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Phantasy Star Online 2 -- Beta Live, 3 Invites Available From Those Already In Game

• AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    A lot of people already asked for this but,if someone have an extra beta invite that can toss my way,i would really appreciate that

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Can anyone in the beta give their initial thoughts? I really liked PSO, but I got into it super late (after people hacked it and made ridiculous gg characters). Also my brother owned the Dreamcast, I had the Playstation.

I kind of think of it like, after PSO, things kind of branched down the slow methodical route with Monster Hunter and the actiony route with PSU. PSO2 is kind of like those branches remerged. A bit of the combo stuff from PSU, and gunners get to aim at weakpoints and have varied types of weapons, and magic is way better than in any of the previous entries. Then the Monster Hunter side comes in with potions and attacks having long start-up and wind-down animations, but you can do a lot of things to cancel some of those wind-downs (jump/dashing/abilities).

Loot remains to be seen, but hopefully they learned enough from PSU that it can't be awful, and the stuff I've seen with being able to choose elements for some drops and move around special skills on weapons and stuff seems okay. That opinion might change when you have to pay $10 for catalysts to avoid having sub-10% chances of success on anything worthwhile but it seems okay.

Missions/environments/atmosphere seem really good. Like once you start doing free missions are open party areas the random quests are pretty great and the bosses so far seem fine and just grinding through quests or whatever seems like it will be way more entertaining.

• LorkLork Registered User regular
    Kasius wrote: »
    Oh shit, it's @Lork

We had some good times on schthack a few years back.
    We should do some shit on pso2 before the beta ends.
    Sure thing. We (I'm playing with blaze and shady) are sometimes on at random times in the day, and usually on really late at night (as in, after the downtime), so it's kind of hard to catch us, though.
    So I finally got to play a bit, and while it looks pretty and SCREAMS PSO at me at pretty much every turn (A wonderful thing mind you) I did come across one irk so far. I'm lvl 3, I was progressing merrily through the quests and I got a new quest. But I need to be lvl 5 for the quest. As far as I can tell the only way to do this is to play the other quests i've already done until i'm level 5 (Same system in PSU and PSO if I remember correctly.)

I'm not a huge fan of "Grind these quests to get to the next one" stuff so it did irk me a bit. Does anyone know if I can go somewhere without a quest and just kill stuff? I'd much rather do that than repeat quests.
    Oh boy, you don't even know about the matter board yet, do you? Trust me, level requirements are the least of your worries. The utterly obnoxious amount of grinding, often for random drops that you need to do to progress is easily the game's biggest flaw. Not only does it artificially extend the amount of time you have to spend running the same quests over and over, but it actually ruins the difficulty curve, at least for the early content we've seen in the beta. By the time you unlock a new quest, you'll already be overleveled for it. Hopefully this is just the beginning and the game opens up or at least has a proper difficulty curve later on.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    OEMCaptchaImage.php?ses_rec_id=YsRN9iMNBZkzVIgySr Anyone know Kanji? This is my captcha and i have no idea how to decipher this stuff -_-

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Of course, the trick is going to be typing it in again.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Robes wrote: »
    OEMCaptchaImage.php?ses_rec_id=YsRN9iMNBZkzVIgySr Anyone know Kanji? This is my captcha and i have no idea how to decipher this stuff -_-

ウロクケケ

If you failed the captcha a couple of times, you'll have to reload a new one.

Shady3011 on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    ウロクケケ probably. When does the CB end/OB start? It worth it to try and beg for an invite now or should I just wait.

• RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Gotta ask how you did that.

It worked. but i'm curious how you did it :)

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    Japanese captcha is usually kana stuff which are really easy to memorize/learn.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I used this to do it

You can copy/paste the symbols into the box. There are no spaces. The captcha is stylized but they're all discernable.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    My unofficial patch didn't work, but I am now through the tutorial mission

I am in an eternal honeymoon with pso so really I just want the english release and a lifetime supply of food

• KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    hellajeff, we should game sometime because you sound like a sweetbro

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    Lork wrote: »
    Kasius wrote: »
    Oh shit, it's @Lork

We had some good times on schthack a few years back.
    We should do some shit on pso2 before the beta ends.
    Sure thing. We (I'm playing with blaze and shady) are sometimes on at random times in the day, and usually on really late at night (as in, after the downtime), so it's kind of hard to catch us, though.
    Or not. We kind of abruptly ran into the end of the beta content, so I don't think I'll be playing any more of this for now. Perhaps in the open beta or when they finally translate it for real.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I'm also going to be "that person" and kindly ask for an invite. I can give you a DoTA 2 invite? :)

• synbios16synbios16 Registered User new member
    Does anybody have another invite? Please!! Synbios16@hotmail.com

• xRussellxxRussellx Registered User new member
    I'm wondering if anyone has an extra invite for PSO2, as well. I'd like to give the game a try. My e-mail's HyperShadow17@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    If the schedule thing is right, the beta phase ends in like 2 1/2 hours.

I think this is the last one before open beta in the summer, but don't quote me on that.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• synbios16synbios16 Registered User new member
    Beta extended, ends on the 30th, but I still need an invite

• HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    @kaseius is your character your screen name? Also where are my beta invites for other peeps?

• carllawscarllaws Registered User new member
    Can someone give me a code? I need to play this. I WILL LOVE SOMEONE FOREVER

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Okay, someone previously said it was a lot more fun to play a Force than it used to be. As someone who enjoys blowing shit up with the power of my mind, this piques my interest. What's changed since PSO and PSU's "push button, receive fireball, repeat until satisfied" system?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well, I did it, Despite having to change servers to join my friends after leveling characters to 9 and 5, I remade one and hit the Lv20 cap anyway, entirely on the last day.

It was a blast and I can hardly wait for the full game ... in English.

As for being a force, being right in the thick of things with hunters is now realistically possible, thanks to the "Mirage" dodge move. It's sort of a hovering slide in any direction plus teleportation. Huge invincibility frames on it. You'll need them too, as enemies will keep you on your toes

Forces can once again attack directly with force weapons, though you cannot block as the Shift key switches to a second set of offensive moves.

You can put any mix you would like of melee attack and techniques into 4 slots, plus techniques can be put on the sub-palette (the 10 numbered slots, 5 on either side of your weapon palette). This means forces can have up to 4 techniques on a rod or card, and up to 10 more on the sub-palette. Players start the game with 3 weapon and sub-palettes, so that's 3 configurations of each, swappable at a moment's notice. At last, you can cast every spell when needed, and easily.

Using Talis (card) type weapons allows you to cast remotely. If you time your attack to "combo" a spell after throwing a card, you end up casting the spell from the location of the card, but toward your current aim. This is ridiculous awesome for simple and gi-level techniques.

For full effect, techniques need to be charged. Anecdotally, it seemed like a tapped casting has something like 25% the power of a fully charged one. All attack Techniques also need to be aimed properly. It's is easy thanks to mouse aim and you character will correct if you're off by a little bit, but if you're facing completely the wrong way, your character won't turn to face your aiming reticule by themselves.

Simple techniques seem to have a small amount of AoE on them, meaning a well-placed Foie or Zonde can hit baddies right on top of each other (Barta still pierces in a line). Gi- and Ra-techs are much more like PSO, with Gi-zonde being chain lightning, and Ra-zonde being a downward-fired cone of lightning, while Gi-foie is once again a fire spiral, and Ra-foie is an explosion at a distance. I did not get to mess around with Gi-barta and Ra-barta, but at least one of them is an ice tornado which I've seen others use. I noticed Shifta has a fire icon and Deband an ice one, but it doesn't seems mean anything.

Resta is no longer one big blast of health but several smaller jolts of healing over time. The higher the level, the larger the radius and more times it heals. I did not encounter Anti, Reverser, or Grants.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Well, I did it, Despite having to change servers to join my friends after leveling characters to 9 and 5, I remade one and hit the Lv20 cap anyway, entirely on the last day.

It was a blast and I can hardly wait for the full game ... in English.

As for being a force, being right in the thick of things with hunters is now realistically possible, thanks to the "Mirage" dodge move. It's sort of a hovering slide in any direction plus teleportation. Huge invincibility frames on it. You'll need them too, as enemies will keep you on your toes

Forces can once again attack directly with force weapons, though you cannot block as the Shift key switches to a second set of offensive moves.

You can put any mix you would like of melee attack and techniques into 4 slots, plus techniques can be put on the sub-palette (the 10 numbered slots, 5 on either side of your weapon palette). This means forces can have up to 4 techniques on a rod or card, and up to 10 more on the sub-palette. Players start the game with 3 weapon sub-palettes, so that's 3 configurations of each, swappable at a moment's notice. At last, you can cast every spell when needed, and easily.

Using Talis (card) type weapons allows you to cast remotely. If you time your attack to "combo" a spell after throwing a card, you end up casting the spell from the location of the card, but toward your current aim. This is ridiculous awesome for simple and gi-level techniques.

For full effect, techniques need to be charged. Anecdotally, it seemed like a tapped casting has something like 25% the power of a fully charged one. All attack Techniques also need to be aimed properly. It's is easy thanks to mouse aim and you character will correct if you're off by a little bit, but if you're facing completely the wrong way, your character won't turn to face your aiming reticule by themselves.

Simple techniques seem to have a small amount of AoE on them, meaning a well-placed Foie or Zonde can hit baddies right on top of each other (Barta still pierces in a line). Gi- and Ra-techs are much more like PSO, with Gi-zonde being chain lightning, and Ra-zonde being a downward-fired cone of lightning, while Gi-foie is once again a fire spiral, and Ra-foie is an explosion at a distance. I did not get to mess around with Gi-barta and Ra-barta, but at least one of them is an ice tornado which I've seen others use. I noticed Shifta has a fire icon and Deband an ice one, but it doesn't seems mean anything.

Resta is no longer one big blast of health but several smaller jolts of healing over time. The higher the level, the larger the radius and more times it heals. I did not encounter Anti, Reverser, or Grants.

i don't think megid is in either, is it?

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Thanks for the run-down! My excitement is now fully engaged.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • st4plerst4pler Registered User new member
    If anyone still has any invites left, would you please send one to me? really want to try it out, eri_nilkun@yahoo.com

thanks

The closed beta is over. We're expecting another news video from Sakai on May 3rd. With any luck it will announce the dates for the open beta.

• elfenelfen Registered User new member
    I want in please :)

• KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    IceBurner wrote: »
    The closed beta is over. We're expecting another news video from Sakai on May 3rd. With any luck it will announce the dates for the open beta.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited May 2012
    Well the press conference was held. No open beta news yet, that will apparently be announced via Twitter. They did, however, cover new content:

Planet Lilipa, desert world
    Planet Naberius now has a snow Area Also, new weapons.
    Some story stuff, guess this is a "bad guy"

IceBurner on
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    ugh i can't believe i missed this i hope the open beta comes out soon ;__-;

Closed Beta report is up, as well as a vague announcement about a "Pre-Open Beta" in late June.

Official Closed Beta Report
    Translated writeup courtesy of some guy from PSO World

Open Beta starts June 21st at 3AM EDT. If you were in the closed beta, you don't have to sign up again.

• ParaPara Registered User regular
    What is this blasphemy here? No one talking about the open beta that started today?

Playing League of Legends & Phantasy Star Online 2
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    So how long does this beta last?

steam_sig.png
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    For a while, I think. I keep getting mail in my inbox telling me to play it, but the times set just don't work for me.

• ParaPara Registered User regular
    What times? Open beta is open 24/7. This is the final stretch till retail launch.

Playing League of Legends & Phantasy Star Online 2
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    I thought I read that they were time constrained again. Huh, well, whatever. Still just going to wait.

That was probably for the Pre Open Beta, which was meant to stress test the servers last weekend. It was only for two days and at very specific time frames. Open Beta should be like the Closed Beta with maintenance peppered in as needed. One thing I am reading is that Ship 2 is already at full capacity and Sega closed making characters on it for a while. I'm thinking we should choose another ship to keep at least PA folks on the same ship throughout the open beta.

• radishlawradishlaw Registered User regular
    This IS the Open Beta starting from 21st June, and the character are transferable to official service, which essentially means it's open now.
    When I logged off ships 1-5 are blocking new character registration, plus the fact that you only have 1 character across all ships means you have to be careful choosing a ship.

edited June 2012
    You only get one character for the one ship you choose. Moving to another ship requires you to make another character, which means using Arks Cash to access another character slot that is tied to that ship only.

Edit: Or you could always delete your character to move over to another ship at no cost. You just, you know, lose all progress you made, which shouldn't be much right now.

Shady3011 on