As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA: Episode 2 crashing at startup

IgortIgort Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Penny Arcade Games
I posted this in the Steam thread earlier, but no one really responded so I thought I'd post it over here and see how it goes...

So, in anticipation for the new Precipice game I decided to buy the first two episodes and play through them both, just to get caught up with the story,

I played and completed Episode 1 without issue, but now for some reason Episode 2 will crash whenever I try to run the game. I press "play" and the game will crash on the initial loading screen and I will be told the program is not responding. On the few occasions where I get past the loading screen, music will begin to play, but nothing else will happen and I will again be told the program is not responding.

I've e-mailed Hothead but haven't heard anything back yet. I followed the Basic Troubleshooting suggestions over at Steam Support, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, I tried making a CD back up and installing from the CD, but nothing has fixed the issue yet...

Also, can anyone else with Episode 2 try running their copy? Just so I can figure out if it's an issue with my PC or not? Someone else on the Steam forums said they were having this issue as well.

Any ideas?

Igort on

• YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I just ran into the same problem. I too was planning to replay it before ep3 drops. Sorta doubt that'll happen now.

EDIT: the version you can download from Greenhouse works, but you'll need a license key for it.

Yuritau on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Yuritau wrote: »
    I just ran into the same problem. I too was planning to replay it before ep3 drops. Sorta doubt that'll happen now.

EDIT: the version you can download from Greenhouse works, but you'll need a license key for it.

Bit of a stretch, but I take it owning it on Steam won't allow me to somehow attain a licence for the Greenhouse version?

In any case, at least it's an issue with the game and not my PC, a couple of people other on the Steam forums have been saying their versions aren't working either. Now I guess there's nothing to do but hope Hothead or the Steam guys decide to fix it. They should really get on that, with Ep3 coming out, I think there might be a renewed interest in the series... *shrug*

• YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah the only reason the Greenhouse version works for me is cause I'm an email packrat and gmail makes it easy to search through, heh. With Greenhouse deader than dead, and the Steam version pooched, you're pretty much reliant on Hothead fixing it somehow.

The plot thickens: Actually managed to run the game today. No idea why, it just decided to work so I played it for about three hours before I had to stop. When I came back it to it I couldn't get it to run again though. Really is very bizarre.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah, support for these games are non-existant, even among fans. I've been trying to fix some crap with Episode 1 for a while now.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Borked for me on steam as well. Very annoying.

I'm convinced it has something to do with the initial loading window. I have a theory that if there was some way to skip it and just immediately boot the actual game up it would solve the problem. Anyone know if there's any way to do that with the Set Launch Options?

• Dexterity JonesDexterity Jones Registered User new member
    Created a forum account to just chime in my similar problems.

I got both EP1 and 2 (off steam) as 3 is about to be released, and cannot for the life of me get the 2nd episode to run at all. Which is rather annoying as A.) I liked the 1st one and B.) Paying for a product I cannot use.

really hope there is some work around for this, but after much internet searching, it seems to be a known problem with no known solution or help for the games developers.

• miketheweirdmiketheweird Registered User new member
    I'm also experiencing this problem, but only on my windows 7 laptop, the game plays just fine on my XP based desktop.
    This is probably cold comfort for those of you who don't have access to a windows XP comp, but just thought I would mention that.

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I have also had this issue. MikeTheWeird just inspired me to try some shenanigans, they appear to have worked!

My current work around is so (for a Windows 7 User):

1) Open up your Steam Folder, navigate to the game directory. For most this would be something like this:
    ...Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\penny arcade adventures on the rain-slick precipice of darkness episode 2

2) Find the game executable and create a shortcut of it to the desktop.

3) Right click the shortcut, click Properties

4) Navigate to the Compatibility tab. Boot up the game in Windows 95 compatibility.

I personally tried Windows 2000, XP and a few others. Upon trying Windows 95 the game was responsive and allowed me to go through the License Agreement.

I'm excited to play some Episode Three as I've enjoyed the other Zeboyd Games. Hopefully this will allow some others to catch up too!

Corp.Shephard on
  • Dexterity JonesDexterity Jones Registered User new member
    I have also had this issue. MikeTheWeird just inspired me to try some shenanigans, they appear to have worked!

My current work around is so (for a Windows 7 User):

1) Open up your Steam Folder, navigate to the game directory. For most this would be something like this:
    ...Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\penny arcade adventures on the rain-slick precipice of darkness episode 2

2) Find the game executable and create a shortcut of it to the desktop.

3) Right click the shortcut, click Properties

4) Navigate to the Compatibility tab. Boot up the game in Windows 95 compatibility.

I personally tried Windows 2000, XP and a few others. Upon trying Windows 95 the game was responsive and allowed me to go through the License Agreement.

I'm excited to play some Episode Three as I've enjoyed the other Zeboyd Games. Hopefully this will allow some others to catch up too!

You sir, are awesome, I never thought to try windows 95...but sure enough it fucking works. If I lived anywhere near the continental US, I'd buy you a tasty frosty beverage of your choice.

Thanks heaps for that fix.

You sir, are awesome, I never thought to try windows 95...but sure enough it fucking works. If I lived anywhere near the continental US, I'd buy you a tasty frosty beverage of your choice.

Thanks heaps for that fix.

Just tried it as well. It works.

This is completely bizarre, but at least it works!

• The GeckoThe Gecko Future overlord. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    The windows 95 / 98 compatibility mode thing probably works because windows 95/98 didn't support SMP, so applications running in this mode have their processor affinity mask set to only use one CPU.

Given how the crash on startup seems to vary (not always at the same time, not the same way, and sometimes it randomly works) and that restricting to one CPU fixes it, I'd say they've got a thread race condition in there somewhere.

An alternate fix that doesn't require compatibility mode is to start it with its processor affinity locked to one CPU, if you wanted to make a shortcut or batch file or something like that. This also demonstrates that the problem is specifically with SMP, not some other aspect of compatibility mode.
    start /affinity 1 RainSlickEp2.exe

The Gecko on
    If all else fails, use fire.
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    so how do I restrict it to using only one core?
    e: I mean, how do I creat a batch file? 's been a while, and I don't want to navigate through all the directories via cmd

I've encountered the same problems today, which is weird, because I managed to play the game without any problems at all a while back (3h gameplay logged) o_0

edit: and fuck compatibility mode with its low-res bullshit

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• The GeckoThe Gecko Future overlord. Registered User regular
    The easiest way is probably just to make a shortcut with the following properties:

Target: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 RainSlickEp2.exe
    Start in: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\penny arcade adventures on the rain-slick precipice of darkness episode 2"

To run it from a batch file, you'd make a file called rainslick2.bat (or whatever you like) and put the following in it:
    cd "\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\penny arcade adventures on the rain-slick precipice of darkness episode 2"
    start /affinity 1 RainSlickEp2.exe

Obviously, adjust paths if you've installed Steam to a different directory.

If all else fails, use fire.
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    how do I do this? I have no idea where to start.

• either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    Do you mean how do you create the batch file? Because if so you can use notepad, just copy and paste The Gecko's code and save it as .bat

steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Okay that worked, but it might as well not have. The game runs miserably, so slow its not even playable.

• Stealth XXIVStealth XXIV Registered User regular
    The Gecko, that is just badass. I had the same problem, and the game works fine for me now.

(It's also an unpleasant reminder that deep down, Windows is still just, ugh, DOS.)

• genghisbunnygenghisbunny Registered User new member
    edited July 2012
    OK, what TheGecko said, completely correct. The EASIEST WAY to do what he says is to go to the directory it's stored in:
    1. Open Windows Explorer (Hold down the Windows button and press E)
    2. Browse to the install folder (double-click on c:, then Program files or program files (x86), etc.) On my system it's
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\penny arcade adventures on the rain-slick precipice of darkness episode 2

3. Right-click on
    RainSlickEp2.exe

and then while clicking, drag it to your desktop and left-click "create shortcut here"
    4. Right-click on the new shortcut and then click on "Properties"
    5. In "Target" delete everything in there and instead type the following (or copy and paste it)
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 RainSlickEp2.exe

6. click "OK"
    7. Your icon will change if you've done it right
    8. Double-click the new icon any time you need to launch the program.

THANKS, TheGecko, you're a legend!

genghisbunny on
  • genghisbunnygenghisbunny Registered User new member
    edited July 2012
    (sorry, double-post)

genghisbunny on
  • lclaylclay Registered User new member
    Hey Guys!

I am so glad I found this thread. I, like a lot of people here, bought the bundle of the first two games when they were on sale a little while ago. I really enjoyed the first one and have been having the exact same problem with getting the second one to run. I just spent like an hour updating windows and installing drivers to no avail.

The above method works brilliantly. Thanks a lot guys :)

• FumikoFumiko Registered User new member
    Hey everyone!

I did exactly what genghisbunny said, but it still wont work.. :( First time I tried it said "steam is not running, please start stream" although it was already running, second time it said it couldn't find the .exe!

What to do?