As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Forum Badges

• kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I love the faded look, but the blue portions look 100% gray to me no matter how hard I try to convince my brain that they're supposed to be blue. I'm assuming this is because the faded look was achieved using something like a filter that is more on the yellow/red side, like sepia? Pardon my vocabulary if all of this is completely off, as I don't know anything about art/photography/Photoshop/etc. But that would explain why the blue ended up gray while the red looks more or less the same. A cooler-toned "filter" would probably make the blue more pronounced, but I don't think the end effect would be the same.

Edit: Nevermind, I just noticed that the background has already been included. Still, there is nothing blue on the badge at the moment, and it seems that the only indication that this badge is for PAX Prime is the logo in the background.

kemikal on
    Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    The original design looks pretty good in my opinion. Can't wait to get one.

RichSoCash on
  • rnaicarnaica Ninja Dino! Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    I wants a cool looking badge too! ^_^!

• ramen215ramen215 Registered User regular
    rnaica wrote: »
    I wants a cool looking badge too! ^_^!

Rara! So u'll be at PAX? Can't wait to meet you :D

Track Record: ~Prime '12 Prime '13
  • MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    kropotkin wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Aylaviere wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Aylaviere wrote: »
    This is a new design for the front of the badge. I've added some colour, but not much, and toned down the film grain. Let me know what you think.
    PAX_Prime_2012_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_V3.jpg

Ok so this is just my opinion - this looks fantastic and I love it - however I feel like if there's going to be colour it should be blue, the red makes it feel like PAX East. I'm not sure how good that would look though.

Either way, I'm getting my hands on one of these!

The shield itself has both red and blue to represent both pax east and pax prime together, but the pax prime logo and blue color are in the badge background to represent pax prime for this specific badge. The forumers logo was designed 4 paxen ago and has become the defacto centerpiece for the forumer badges in place of more general penny arcade logos.

You can see all the past designs here and its usage will become more clear:
    http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Forum_Badge

Gotcha. It just looks grey to me and the only thing that stands out is the red.

Yeah, I agree that the red is far more pronounced than the blue.

It's meant to be a faded effect to reflect the the fact that it's from the 1800's. If you prefer I can revert it back to the 21st century colour version.

When you put it that way, especially given the way the back is going to look, then I see what you're doing there, and like it. Prior to reading that explanation though, I was leaning with the "go back to blue" crowd.

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    I'm liking the faded look but I also agree the red is too prominent for Prime. Maybe take the red quadrants down to a more sepia tone and make the blue quadrants something like a faded, Union Civil War uniform blue-grey?

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I'm certainly getting a lot of negativity from the faded version of the front. Traditionally the back is the thing I mess around with and the front has stuck since the arrival of the crest. The problem with that is there's no way to differentiate it from the previous year's badge. I'll tweak it some more to bring out the blue as people are suggesting. But right now, I'm liking the idea of making each year's forum badge unique on both sides.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm certainly getting a lot of negativity from the faded version of the front. Traditionally the back is the thing I mess around with and the front has stuck since the arrival of the crest. The problem with that is there's no way to differentiate it from the previous year's badge. I'll tweak it some more to bring out the blue as people are suggesting. But right now, I'm liking the idea of making each year's forum badge unique on both sides.

For me it's not negative. Was just a bit surprised when I found out it was supposed to be blue. (I am new to all this so I didn't realize.)

I think you are doing a fabulous job! I agree when you say that each year should be unique. :^:

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Fenrisfang wrote: »

For me it's not negative. Was just a bit surprised when I found out it was supposed to be blue. (I am new to all this so I didn't realize.)

I think you are doing a fabulous job! I agree when you say that each year should be unique. :^:

That's pretty good insight actually. I have one hanging next to me from last year, so I saw blue until someone mentioned "that's not really blue" then I looked again and went "yeah, that's right, it's grey."
    I'm sure Kropotkin can work some magic and balance it out so it's "blue" but not "BLUE!" and still not "grey" so it'll look awesome. Failing that (unlikely, Kropotkin's shown mad skillz thusfar) I'd just go with the antiqued look for the awesomeness of difference.

Right, it's not that the design is bad in any way. It's actually pretty awesome. If this were PAX East and PAX Prime, I would've given it a solid two thumbs up. Or if Prime were red instead of blue.

I like the idea of making the front a bit different each year as well.

• OuroborosKaiOuroborosKai Pokemon Trainer Pacific NorthwestRegistered User regular
    This is a new design for the front of the badge. I've added some colour, but not much, and toned down the film grain. Let me know what you think.

I am really liking the redesign, it seems to flow with the back a lot better than the original front. The only thing I would change is to make the blue closer to this shade. http://frocksofages.com/blue civil war dress 013.jpg

Prime 2012 3-Day Pass [x] Hotel [x] Gas Tank Filled[ ]

I am really liking the redesign, it seems to flow with the back a lot better than the original front. The only thing I would change is to make the blue closer to this shade. http://frocksofages.com/blue civil war dress 013.jpg

Oooo...I like that!

Oooo...I like that!

Thirded!

• VersuskidVersuskid Maui, HIRegistered User regular
    Steel Fire wrote: »

Oooo...I like that!

Thirded!

Fourthed

Prime 2014 Status: .[ ] Pass(es) .[ ] Hotel .[ ] Plane Tickets .Waiting Patiently [NEVER!!]
    Challenge Coin [ ]. Custom Dice [ ]. Forumer Pin [ ]. On Forumer Badge [ ]
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I don't mind how you do it, Kropotkin, I'm just honoured that you choose to a) do this and b) choose to give me a badge each year!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    I don't mind how you do it, Kropotkin, I'm just honoured that you choose to a) do this and b) choose to give me a badge each year!

Agreed! (Here's hoping I get my name on this one. hehe) You do an amazing job! Kropotkin!

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Love how the badge is looking this year!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    OK this is my attempt at getting the sepia faded look with that ever so important dollop of blue on the badge. Take a look:
    PAX_Prime_2012_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_V4.jpg

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    It's lovely!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    As I thought, it's not nearly as cool of an effect as the previous, blue-turned-to-gray version. :c

It's lovely in its own way, but doesn't seem to fit in as well with the old-timey look of the back anymore.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Krop, that's neat!

But honestly, do it however you think.

We'll be happy about it one way or the other!

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    It's prefect <3

HI3789R.png
  • OuroborosKaiOuroborosKai Pokemon Trainer Pacific NorthwestRegistered User regular
    That looks... BEAUTIFUL!

• VersuserikVersuserik (E) Versuserik Maui HawaiiRegistered User regular
    You kick some serious ass kropotkin. The badge is awesome how ever you decide to roll. Thanks for all your work!

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    [♦]Working my ass off to pay for all this shit.
    Thanks for all the positive messages. It would appear the new colouring has found favour with most of you. I shall therefore stick with that design.

The badges will be printed in July and sent out at the end of the month to various distributors. With that in mind the names on the back will be collated on 28th July. Thanks for everyone's assistance with the design of the badge, it's much appreciated.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    yarp, looks awesome

Yeah, looks great. Thanks for all the hard work once again kropotkin.

• MissionaryMissionary Registered User new member
    This will be my first PAX. These look great I hope to get one.

• Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the positive messages. It would appear the new colouring has found favour with most of you. I shall therefore stick with that design.

The badges will be printed in July and sent out at the end of the month to various distributors. With that in mind the names on the back will be collated on 28th July. Thanks for everyone's assistance with the design of the badge, it's much appreciated.

Awesome can't wait to actually have one in my hands ... er around my neck !!!!! Great work as always Kropotkin

• Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    I like it.

I'M HALPING!
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Yes, I love the blue (vs. grey or making it BLUE)! Well done!

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Since it looks all old timey, I thought this post should sound old timey. Please think History Channel documentary style.

My Dearest Christopher,
    It seemed so long ago since I last held onto you. I always believed you and the other seventy-thousand friends would come back to me. Thank you for fighting the good fight against time and waiting every year to see me. I noticed you created a wonderful piece for that one special thing you and other forumers have in common with me--unity. I hope to hear from you soon.
    Eternally yours, Seattle

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    Since it looks all old timey, I thought this post should sound old timey. Please think History Channel documentary style.

My Dearest Christopher,
    It seemed so long ago since I last held onto you. I always believed you and the other seventy-thousand friends would come back to me. Thank you for fighting the good fight against time and waiting every year to see me. I noticed you created a wonderful piece for that one special thing you and other forumers have in common with me--unity. I hope to hear from you soon.
    Eternally yours, Seattle

lol! Love it. Nice job Disney Geek!

Can't wait to (hopefully) get my hands on one!

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    OK this is my attempt at getting the sepia faded look with that ever so important dollop of blue on the badge. Take a look:
    PAX_Prime_2012_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_V4.jpg

Super nice, really like this final revision. Awesome as always kropotkin!

aeNqQM9.jpg

My Dearest Christopher,
    Eternally yours, Seattle

*Doffs cap*

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Crispy262Crispy262 HuffleDRUNK @Hogwarts Castle BasementRegistered User regular
    OK this is my attempt at getting the sepia faded look with that ever so important dollop of blue on the badge.

This version looks great - nicely done!!

vqyaoonar0oe.png
    Retired [E]
    HUFFLEPUFF 2011-18
    https://facebook.com/groups/HufflepuffTWDT/

• muttonheadmuttonhead Registered User regular
    Looks fantastic as always, well done!

@muttonhead104|!Hufflepuff|Team !Bulbasaur!
  • JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    I think you have it with the faded sepia coloring.

This discussion has been closed.