As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ASUS P8 Z77 V-PRO Wireless Signal is shit?

MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNARochester, MNRegistered User regular
I didn't want to clog up the computer build thread by asking questions about my new rig's performance in there, so I thought I'd make a new thread.

Basically, the connection to my wireless network (Linksys WRT54G) is 2/5 to 4/5 bars on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. The speeds remain fine and my upload and download hasn't given me any issue, but I don't know why it's so low when my 4 year old Sager 8662 laptop sitting right next to it on my desk is 5/5 bars of signal without any issue.

I was looking over some options online about hacking the firmware on the WRT54G to increase the strength of the signal, but that seemed...excessive?

I am in the business of saving lives.
MegaMan001 on

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    trying moving the antenna around on both your computer and router.

a slight shift in angle can make a big difference in signal strength.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The wireless signal from my P8Z77 V-PRO is just as good or better than the PCI wireless card I had installed on my old build.

If your speeds and downloads are fine, I wouldn't worry too much about how many bars the little icon is showing.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I suppose you're right. I just pinged the router and got 99/100 packets back with an average of 8ms so I guess I'll just live with it.

This can be locked, thanks for the information.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    Ghetto as hell, but this simple DIY reflector works pretty well for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]