As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Survivor: [Phalla]ppines - Reserves welcome!

MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Critical Failures
eulgt.png

Since no one seems to be available for a main I present yet another mini-phalla for your consumption. This game is loosely based on the television show Survivor, but specific knowledge of the show, outside of what is presented here, will not be necessary or even helpful.

This game is for 20 players. No more, no less. If we can’t get 20 I will redesign it, but I’m really hoping I don’t have to do that. This isn’t a balance issue but a structure issue. The game will last exactly 7 days.

IMPORTANT: When you sign up, you must create a character. You have 6 points to spend between Dex, Str, and Int. You can put a maximum of 4 points in any one stat, and may leave stats with 0 points. Please PM me your stat choices. Read on for an idea of what these will be used for. If you want to name your character you may, but it is not required (I will just use your forum name).

These stats are all modified by a meter called energy. Your effective stat is given by
effective stat = base stat * energy / 100

Every player starts with 100 energy that decays every day naturally. If your camp has a fire, your decay rate is 50%, otherwise it is 100%. You can restore energy by consuming food. Every unit of food you consume restores 10 energy (and this is done after the daily decay). Though your energy is not public knowledge, a rough approximation of your public food consumption will be known by your tribe.

All players will be divided into two tribes of ten people. Every day, tribes will have a competition and the outcome of challenges will be influenced by your chosen stats. Each role within a challenge will have a main (and perhaps secondary) stat that will be checked in a simulation. Each day, the winner will be announced and the losing team will have to vote out one of their own players. THIS VOTE IS PRIVATE. PM me the name of the player you would like to vote for. If this vote is tied, all players not involved in the tie will “draw rocks” and one of them will be eliminated (at random).

At some point, the tribes will merge, and these challenges will become individual challenges. There will be one winner. Every day, there will still be a private vote but everyone will be involved, and you are not allowed to vote for the winner of the previous challenge. The winner may still vote.

In addition to the private vote, there is a public vote every day. As usual, post your vote in Bold Red. The winner of the plurality of the vote will be eliminated in some fashion. If the vote is tied, someone in the tie will be chosen at random.

Every night, all players are able to take one of four actions to help with camp life:

Find Food (Dex): Add food to your camp’s food supply.
Secondary action: Private consumption - You may choose to consume a set number of units of food instead of bringing it back to camp. These will increase your energy by 10 points per unit, just as public consumption does. The amount you contribute to your camp’s food supply will be decreased by the amount you consume.

Improve Shelter (Str): Improves the strength of your shelter. Each day, your shelter will face a check against a weather event. If your camp fails, your food supply will be cut in half (after consumption and food additions from the “Find Food” ability). If it critically fails, you will start the next day with no food stock.

Start fire (Dex): Attempt to start a fire. The more people attempting this, the more likely you are to succeed. Only available if no fire is lit. Guaranteed to succeed if your camp has matches.

Tend Fire: Each day, at least one person must tend a lit fire. If no one tends the fire, it goes out. Only available if a fire is already lit.

While your daily action is not made public, your general helpfulness in each category will be known to your tribe.

Regardless of your action choice, you may choose whether or not to hunt for the hidden immunity idol

Search for Idol (Int): Search for the hidden immunity idol. There is one on each tribe’s camp. If you find the hidden immunity idol, you may play it during any vote up to day 5, in secret, and any private votes against you will not count. Choosing this ability makes you less effective at your other tasks. You will generate roughly 40% less food or shelter, and there is a 40% chance that the fire will die if not tended by another player. If two players tend the fire and both search for the immunity idol, there is no chance that it will go out.

You also must choose how much food to consume from your camp’s supply. If no order is given, I will assume you are consuming no food. Again, this will not be public knowledge, but a general idea of how much food you are consuming publicly will be known by your tribe. If more food is consumed than is available, it will be randomly apportioned to all tribe members requesting food until it is gone.

There are no specials, only mafia and villagers.

Because this game is relatively small, and to help you keep track of what needs to be done every day, activity requirements will be for both voting and actions. Each day, every player must:

1. Make a public vote in Bold Red.
2. If your tribe lost the immunity challenge, or if the tribes are merged, make a private vote for whom you would like to vote off the island.
3. Choose a daily action: Find Food, Build Shelter, Start/Tend fire.

Failing to complete one of these actions will result in a mark of inactivus, two of which will cause replacement if available. You should also specify whether to search for the idol and how much food to publicly consume, but since there are default actions, this will not count toward inactivus.

This is a villager vs. mafia game with no other factions. Villagers have the secondary condition of winning Survivor. Vote close will be at 11PM EDT (3AM GMT). We'll start as soon as it's full.

Order of actions:
Energy Loss -> food consumption -> daily tasks -> weather event -> public vote -> secret vote -> mafia kill.
Secret vote will trickle if it is the same target as the public vote.

MrTLicious on

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Please read the OP before signing up! There are a lot of mechanics that you should be aware of (and may dissuade you from joining if you don't like that kind of thing).

Edit: Please submit your stats privately.

Player List:
    1. Anialos
    2. jdarksun
    3. kime
    4. greenbarons
    5. Bedlam warban
    6. tzeentchling
    7. Sir Fabulous
    8. Void Slayer
    9. Kilnaga
    10. Langly
    11. Capfalcon
    12. Assuran
    13. stever777
    14. Figgy
    15. REG Rysk
    16. Smoove Operator
    17. The Anonymous
    18. enlightenedbum
    19. Teucrian
    20. The Dagon

Tribe Tom Hanks’ Beard
    Richard D. Johnson (Anialos)
    Greenbarons
    Linus van Smelt (tzeentchling)
    Void Slayer
    Alexander "Xander" Wallace (Kilnaga)
    Capfalcon
    Assuran
    Stever777
    Figgy
    REG Rysk

Tribe Wilson
    John Darksun (jdarksun)
    kime
    Bedlam warban
    Fabulon Gayowski (Sir Fabuous)
    Langly
    Magnus P. Higginbotham (Smoove Operator)
    The Anonymous
    Andrew Bumke (enlightenedbum)
    Teucrian
    The Dagon

The Jury
    stever777
    REG Rysk
    tzeentchling
    Assuran

Narrations:

Day 1
    Day 2
    Day 3
    Day 4
    Day 5

MrTLicious on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Complicated? I like it!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Colors are annoying on phones

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Is there any type of badguy? Whats the endgame exactly?

edited June 2012
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Is there any type of badguy? Whats the endgame exactly?

Yes. The producers are infiltrating the show. The goal is to make sure that a legitimate contestant wins the game.

Edit: The endgame is two people left, and people that have been voted out all vote to see who wins, like the source material.

Maybe we should actually vote on this. We could end the game in the event that all villagers/mafia are eliminated (or could ensure that), but that would not allow the secondary condition to take place.

MrTLicious on
  • GreenbaronsGreenbarons CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sounds like fun i'll sign up

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    I vote we go all the way to the end not knowing who that has been removed was a good/bad guy unless there is a mafia victory. In that case it would be silly to continue because there isn't a way for either village wincon and the results would be "fixed" anyways.

Alignments are going to be revealed on elimination. I've tried having that mechanic too many times and it never really works out.

Winner vote is private though, so it won't spoil the last phase.

Ok Im interested

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, without alignment on elimination you have no real records to go on for voting other people out - distinguishing between evil players and selfish players.

MrTLicious wrote: »
    Alignments are going to be revealed on elimination. I've tried having that mechanic too many times and it never really works out.

Winner vote is private though, so it won't spoil the last phase.

Fiiiine, still vote we go to the end if the village primary condition is met.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular

I express my dissapointment that there is no Charisma stat.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906

Funny you should mention that. I tried for a while to get it to work, but I thought that any kind of vote manipulation was too powerful in the hands of the producers and didn't want to impede very much on the free will of the players.

Charisma gets you sponsers!

Whoops wrong elimination game.

Charisma gets you sponsers!

Whoops wrong elimination game.

Funny you should mention that because...

Well you'll see :P

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular

We will just have to rely on our own ability. Crap.

So intelligence looks like a mostly selfish stat. Some questions.

1. Do the mafia get a kill or do they have to rely on the two votes?

2. If you have the Immunity idols, what happens to the vote if your the winner? Does the secret vote trickle? Will we be told if it does?

3. Do the challenges only give red vote immunity on day 5+?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    I thought Int might be a selfish dumo stat, but then I started thinking maybe challenges might make use of it more then str or dex because those could be used as daily actions.

So intelligence looks like a mostly selfish stat. Some questions.

1. Do the mafia get a kill or do they have to rely on the two votes?

2. If you have the Immunity idols, what happens to the vote if your the winner? Does the secret vote trickle? Will we be told if it does?

3. Do the challenges only give red vote immunity on day 5+?

1. Mafia get a kill

2. Immunity idols negate all votes on you, so it essentially causes trickle without you actually dying. You will be told if an immunity idol is played.

Related. Order of actions is public vote -> secret vote -> mafia kill. Secret vote will trickle if it is the same target as the public vote.

3. Challenges give immunity to the secret vote, not the red vote, and they do so for all days.

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Sounds like fun, Sign me up!

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    uh this looks like a ton of fun

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I was a Boy Scout. I know Wilderness Survival.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Well, I was going to sit this out due to being in three game, but I'm dead in all other games after tonight. So it looks like I'm free.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Where exactly are The Phallappines, again?

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    stever777 wrote: »
    Where exactly are The Phallappines, again?

It's just off of Mafiaysia.

jdarksun wrote: »
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    Easily one of the best, most useful merit badges I ever got. Right up there with Lifesaving and First Aid.

Not going to lie, the one I've used the most was Plumbing. I learned how to change a U-Bend!

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Signing up!

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I have always wished my mom enroled me in boy scouts. My kids are definately going to be doing that stuff. And summer camps.

The kind where they swim all day and play truth or dare all night.

My kid is going to either drown or get mono.

Easily one of the best, most useful merit badges I ever got. Right up there with Lifesaving and First Aid.
    Not going to lie, the one I've used the most was Plumbing. I learned how to change a U-Bend!
    Man, that one should be required. Plumbing is one of those things that isn't going to kill you, but is super useful to know later in life.

I went and looked up Plumbing to see what the requirements are, and stumbled across the requirements for Eagle. Maybe I've just forgotten a lot in fourteen years, but half these required badges look new. Family Life? Three Citizenship badges? Cycling?!?!

Man, I need to dig out my old sash and see what badges I got.

I remember when I was in boy scouts. I was terribly unmotivated though. I never went out of my way to get any badges, I only got the ones that my troop earned as a whole. So after 5 years my sash had like, 20 badges on it maybe?

Then I went to fall scout camp and we stayed at an old fort and it was raining all the time and we would walk through the mud to get everywhere and your feet were always wet and they never got dry and everyone was packed into a small area. When it was time to pack up, I could hardly get out of bed. This is interesting because I have never found it difficult to get out of bed. When I did get out of bed, I felt really weak and I asked the scout leaders if I could just lie down. Well, of course I couldn't because I had to pack my stuff up. After I had done that and I was still feeling like shit, they realised I was sick. My mom came to get me and I was so tired I fell asleep in the car without talking to her at all. When we got home, we took my temperature and it was 101. I ended up having the worst fever of my life, with my temperature eventually rising to over 103.

After that I decided I was done being a scout.

Well, after that and winter scout camp. That shit was ridiculous. So cold, thawing out your socks before you could wear them in the morning, and I fell into a frozen lake. Nope.

Figgy wrote: »
    I have always wished my mom enroled me in boy scouts. My kids are definately going to be doing that stuff.
    BSA's anti-gay stance right now is the only thing that gives me pause when thinking about enrolling my son. He's still five-ish years out from worrying about that, though, and I expect by then that they'll have reversed their position.

Cold weather camping was also a favorite of mine. On an two-night winter trip, a couple friends and I decided that we'd shoot for the Polar Bear patch - 24 cumulative hour/degrees of sub-freezing nights with no tent (one point per degree below zero per hour). We had winter sleeping bags and all-weather space blankets, so nobody even got cold. It felt pretty epic at the time.

I didn't know that BSA was anti-gay. That's dissapointing.

Also, where did you go winter camping? My troop went to northern Ontario (Since we were an Ontario based troop).

I have always wished my mom enroled me in boy scouts. My kids are definately going to be doing that stuff.
    BSA's anti-gay stance right now is the only thing that gives me pause when thinking about enrolling my son. He's still five-ish years out from worrying about that, though, and I expect by then that they'll have reversed their position.

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled with that either, but it's getting significant pushback at the National level. If I had to make a guess, I think it'll be straightened out by then.

edited June 2012
    Life events have taken a turn for the calmer. We will start as soon as it's full.

Edit: That means get your character scores in when you can!

Double Edit: If we start and you haven't given me scores, I will give you 2 of each stat.

MrTLicious on

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled with that either, but it's getting significant pushback at the National level. If I had to make a guess, I think it'll be

8-)

straightened out by then.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I will signup!

Do you use up the immunity idol if you play it?

Yes

Yes

But you have to play it ahead of time, right? It's not automatic when you would be booted out?

Yes

But you have to play it ahead of time, right? It's not automatic when you would be booted out?

Correct.

Yes

Correct.

If I'm reading it right, the immunity idol just gives you a single chance to guess when you will be voted out in private? If you use it Day 3, for example, and you wouldn't have been voted out anyway, it's still consumed?

Yeah its dumb. But thats how it works on the show.

Yeah its dumb. But thats how it works on the show.

It does?

Then no one would vote for them? What's the point? I'm confused.