As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Did you remember to plug in the CPU power cable?

• iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »
    Bringin' the rain.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Mil Green)
    Power: M12II 520W
    Mobo: ASRock Z77 PRO4
    CPU: Intel Cire i5-3450S
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) - Stupid colors...
    Vid: MSI TXX 560 (Fermi)
    HDD : WD Caviar Blue 320GB
    SSD : Crucial M4 64GB
    Optical: ASUS 24x DVD Burner

Any obvious problems? (besides the RAM)

I would upgrade your 560 to a ti, maybe even a 448.
    I would also get a bigger SSD. 64 gigs will disappear fast. Get at least a 128.

And then question why he has a 3450s over a standard 3450 or even a 3550 which are all the same price

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Bringin' the rain.

That card was less than $200. How 'bout this one? (Also switched to this SSD)
    iRevert wrote: »
    And then question why he has a 3450s over a standard 3450 or even a 3550 which are all the same price

Not quite, but I was going with lower power consumption. I may have gone a bit silly with the "military" theme...

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited June 2012
    Bringin' the rain.

Not quite, but I was going with lower power consumption. I may have gone a bit silly with the "military" theme...

Protip

Having 4 sticks of Ram and a 560 and having a non-2.5 HDD means your a goose if your trying to "save power"

There is basically zero things there that say "I want to save power"

iRevert on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Iceshot22 wrote: »
    So my friend decided that he now wants to build a pc. He went ahead and picked out parts and wants someone to double check for him to see if they would work. Seeing as how we are not exactly the biggest social butterfly's around, I was wondering if you guys could let us know what you thought of these parts. I came here when I needed help and I got plenty of great advice! He also has some cash so he threw it around a little bit. Any criticism would be nice as neither of us are very good at this.

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813131767
    CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819103727
    PSU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817371044
    HDD :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822148697
    SSD :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820148441
    GPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814150521
    RAM:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820233143
    FAN:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835106189
    DVD drive:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16827118031

P.S. Im the more knowledgeable out of the two of us, as far as computers go, and I really dont understand the function of the SSD. I understand that some people have one, but would it be worth it for my bud to buy this. Im against it, but he seems to want one.

thanks in advance!

1. Ditch the $108 CPU cooler, he won't need it. Or if you want one to make things quieter, get something actually quiet: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185173
    2. Get a 128GB SSD. He will absolutely be disappointed with only 64 - that's enough for Windows 7 and like ONE game.
    3. Skip the AMD motherboard/CPU and get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.955158 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.955086

Also he will need a case. People here like gaming cases (http://pcarcadians.blogspot.com/2011/08/cases-and-psus-basics-and.html), I like things that are more built for quiet: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119250

steam_sig.png
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    My sandybridge motherboard crapped out and I'm looking to get a quick replacement at my local Fry's. Their stores don't necessarily stock everything available on their website. I'd like a couple recs to jot down so I can pick up one after work today.

Not looking to overclock. Want something cheap but not utter crap (I tend to avoid BioStar, MSI and ECS). I have a 256 SSD for my main drive and I'll be doing a fresh install. Case can accommodate a full size ATX board. I actually have 2 5870's but I was only using one as the mobo wasn't built for X-fire. PSU is only a 500W 80+ so I figured I cannot do X-fire anyways, but I guess I'm interested in recs for either single GPU boards as well as 2-way X-fire. Built-in wifi would be awesome, but I'm guessing that's something that's only on high end boards.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular

Protip

Having 4 sticks of Ram and a 560 and having a non-2.5 HDD means your a goose if your trying to "save power"

your a goose

The silliest!

Again, the only reason I chose that RAM kit was the color of the heat spreaders, and I can settle for black on that front. Plus it's all a hypothetical build anyways.

On that note, any major differences between that MSI 560Ti(F) and this EVGA equivalent that's been on my for-realsies list?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    On that note, any major differences between that MSI 560Ti(F) and this EVGA equivalent that's been on my for-realsies list?
    Speaking of that video card...

My GPU died a few months ago and I have yet to replace it.* I'm getting antsy. Right now I'm split between two options: wait longer, or buy a video card, specifically this one. I want to stick with an EVGA card with a lifetime warranty, because my previous EVGA card (8800 GTS) lasted many years, including a couple of times when it died and got replaced (eventually by an 8800 GTX) so I'm a fan of EVGA.

In any case, can I expect a new round of video cards to hit, or a new round of price drops, or anything? Am I shooting myself in the foot if I buy a card right now instead of waiting? Is this something I can even know?

*Technically I replaced it with a GeForce 210 I had lying around, which I had previously used to troubleshoot other peoples' computers. HOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Protip

your a goose

The silliest!

Again, the only reason I chose that RAM kit was the color of the heat spreaders, and I can settle for black on that front. Plus it's all a hypothetical build anyways.

The Ti. EVGA is a 560 Ti with 384 CUDA cores, MSI is just a standard 560 with 336.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »
    your a goose

The silliest!

The Ti. EVGA is a 560 Ti with 384 CUDA cores, MSI is just a standard 560 with 336.

Derp! Try this MSI instead. And this Galaxy while I'm at it - does anyone have some experience with them as a brand? (I'm running one of their 210s right now)

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    your a goose

The silliest!

Derp! Try this MSI instead. And this Galaxy while I'm at it - does anyone have some experience with them as a brand? (I'm running one of their 210s right now)

The MSI is running higher clocks (basically, its factory overclocked which is covered by its warranty) and the Twin Frozer coolers are really good.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    So, between an Nvidia 670 and 680, 670 is the way to go? The speed difference looks negligible and I'd rather spend the $100 on something else.

And for the build, this is what I'm thinking. (Make sure to select "Show / All" and obviously everything down to the Doctor Who box sets)

I've got the money to burn so I figure why not future proof for a bit. If anyone has better recommendations for any of those pieces, let me know. Oh, and if I'm not over clocking the CPU, will the stock fan be fine?

Esh on
    edited June 2012
    Esh wrote: »
    So, between an Nvidia 670 and 680, 670 is the way to go? The speed difference looks negligible and I'd rather spend the $100 on something else.

And for the build, this is what I'm thinking. (Obviously everything down to the Doctor Who box sets)

I've got the money to burn so I figure why not future proof for a bit. If anyone has better recommendations for any of those pieces, let me know. Oh, and if I'm not over clocking the CPU, will the stock fan be fine?

Yeah, the 680 is total overkill and the 670 is just regular overkill.

If youre not looking to overclock or add another 670 down the line (you'll have to get the same EVGA 670 FTW) you could step down to a 650w PSU. If you are looking to overclock, Id spend the extra $20 and get the Pro. Other than that it looks good (also beastly).

emp123 on
    edited June 2012
    emp123 wrote: »

And for the build, this is what I'm thinking. (Obviously everything down to the Doctor Who box sets)

If youre not looking to overclock or add another 670 down the line (you'll have to get the same EVGA 670 FTW) you could step down to a 650w PSU. If you are looking to overclock, Id spend the extra $20 and get the Pro. Other than that it looks good (also beastly).

Yeah, I don't see overclocking to be overly necessary in the case of this computer. ; ) Thanks!

EDIT: Pulled the trigger on the processor, case, optical drive, power supply, and SSD. Gotta wait to get my tips in the bank before ordering the rest. As long as it's done before The Secret World comes out, I'm fine.

Also, one more question, what's the difference between the LCD and LED version of the monitor I want? Is it worth dropping the extra $40 to go LED?

Esh on

Yeah, I don't see overclocking to be overly necessary in the case of this computer. ; ) Thanks!

EDIT: Pulled the trigger on the processor, case, optical drive, power supply, and SSD. Gotta wait to get my tips in the bank before ordering the rest. As long as it's done before The Secret World comes out, I'm fine.

Also, one more question, what's the difference between the LCD and LED version of the monitor I want? Is it worth dropping the extra $40 to go LED?

The LED refers to the backlighting, it should be thinner, use less power and have better contrast. I dont know if its worth $40, but I know I went with the HP ZR42w over the Dell Ultrasharp with LED backlighting because it was $50 cheaper ($250 is so much easier to justify than $300).

• Reis2Reis2 Registered User regular
    Question for you gents--

So I upgraded to an i5-3550 LGA 1155 and P8Z77-V Pro with 2x4gb VENGEANCE for RAM. Also put in an SSD and wanted to do a fresh install of win 7 64-bit. On first boot, the fans all started spinning but the MemOK! button was lit up for a while, then it shut down. I held the MemOK! button and it did its sequence or whatever, but then shut down. After a few more times, I got it to boot. however, before entering setup it said "CPU Temperature too high" or something thereabouts. When I opened up BIOS, it says the CPU is at 84C. This is... disturbingly high. Also says the SPU fan is at 2096RPM.

I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point... any suggestions?

世界は美しくなんかない。それ故に、美しい。
    Brawl.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Remove, check, and re-seat the CPU cooler.

Reis2 wrote: »
    Question for you gents--

So I upgraded to an i5-3550 LGA 1155 and P8Z77-V Pro with 2x4gb VENGEANCE for RAM. Also put in an SSD and wanted to do a fresh install of win 7 64-bit. On first boot, the fans all started spinning but the MemOK! button was lit up for a while, then it shut down. I held the MemOK! button and it did its sequence or whatever, but then shut down. After a few more times, I got it to boot. however, before entering setup it said "CPU Temperature too high" or something thereabouts. When I opened up BIOS, it says the CPU is at 84C. This is... disturbingly high. Also says the SPU fan is at 2096RPM.

Are you sure you mounted the heatsink correctly? How did you apply the thermal paste?

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Hmm, so I've been ghosting this thread for a while, and use it in addition to my usual methods to figure out general directions when Ive been upgrading my shit recently, and would like to thank you all for your good community, and awesome PA crowd as usual..

Anyway, was wondering if anyone has narrowed down on THE Ivy Bridge MoBo to buy, and whether there is any reason for me to delay until next december.. I stupidly bought a case, and some high end 2400mhz 8 gig ARES sticks, a Zalman cooler, and a case all as shellshockers, but haven't been able to justify blowing the cash for a big enough upgrade over the AMD 980, and MSI 575 (I think, can't remember right now) with an ECS board (which I left a review on newegg for being surprisingly good, although I think they screwed me outta my mail in rebate.. I need to try and figure out what it would be under to check for it..).. Anyway, so yea, the point..

What Ivy Bridge MoBo is consensus best value (or just each individual who wants to give a quick pro con, if so inclined), and if I get said MoBo, what would be the minimum recomended video card that'd be an upgrade.

Thanks again guys, and if no one gets any time to direct me it's all good. I'll try and do better to shoot people towards some of the deals as I pick up, I'm just usually so sick of being in a browser and not gaming that I don't get around to posting..

Oh, also, not exactly sure if this is on topic so will make it it's own post so that it can be redirected:
    I'm in the neighborhood for a NAS, and stumbled upon the review for the WD 900 at pcper http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Western-Digital-My-Net-N900-HD-Router-Review

Gonna wait for a great deal on it, and probably buy it driveless and stick some SSDs in it after their pricing starts to stabilize, but can anyone think of a better bang for buck NAS with as great a feature set? It also seems relatively prosumer friendly, which seems nice, and should maybe help me with playing my steam games and media sharing across platforms.

• Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

Pretty solid, and a bit more better for backing up from what it seems, but doesn't have that proprietary streaming and the built in network monitoring, plus cost exponentially more for lesser specs on most models from what I've found... :-\

You run just that model with what HDs, and for how long? I'm trying to get an idea of what the thoroughput can be like on some of these higher end models with more sophisticated raid-architecture

The big thing about that WD My Net N900 is the firmware features, be sure to give that review I linked a skim.. It seems like a game changer from what I've been able to find, and still haven't been able to find anything competitive.. If I was more desperate I'd already pull the trigger at the $160 barebones I found.

Should I decide to overclock, why is the Pro motherboard better?

Beyond that, what's a nice aftermarket cooler that'll fit on there? Even I don't overclock, I'd still like to keep the CPU as cool as possible. What sort of paste should I grab as well?

MadCaddy wrote: »

Pretty solid, and a bit more better for backing up from what it seems, but doesn't have that proprietary streaming and the built in network monitoring, plus cost exponentially more for lesser specs on most models from what I've found... :-\

You run just that model with what HDs, and for how long? I'm trying to get an idea of what the thoroughput can be like on some of these higher end models with more sophisticated raid-architecture

We run a DS1812 internally at my company for backup. Most of my experience is on enterprise NAS, nothing applicable for home, but I've been happy with synology products. Plus they're the only company I've seen that have so many features at low price point. The ability to masquerade as a time machine backup is a godsend for some mac heavy companies.

Beyond that, what's a nice aftermarket cooler that'll fit on there? Even I don't overclock, I'd still like to keep the CPU as cool as possible. What sort of paste should I grab as well?

Pretty much any paste that comes with the aftermarket coolers will be good. Thermal paste these days is pretty well sorted. As far as coolers go, this is the king of air cooling (unless you want to deafen yourself. Couple heatsinks that win at crazy high CFM). NH-D14 is awesome. It is xbox huge though, so if you have ram with those stupid tall heatspreaders that don't actually do anything, you won't be able to mount more than 2 sticks.

If you're looking to not spend that much money, the 212 Evo is nice.

aeNqQM9.jpg

Pretty much any paste that comes with the aftermarket coolers will be good. Thermal paste these days is pretty well sorted. As far as coolers go, this is the king of air cooling (unless you want to deafen yourself. Couple heatsinks that win at crazy high CFM). NH-D14 is awesome. It is xbox huge though, so if you have ram with those stupid tall heatspreaders that don't actually do anything, you won't be able to mount more than 2 sticks.

Well, I bought this memory, so the first one may be out of the question.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    The NH-D14 should fit over those sticks, Esh.

Memory like this would be a serious problem, though...

Donovan Puppyfucker on

Nah, those'll fit. 44mm or less will clear. http://noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en#DDR3_G.Skill

aeNqQM9.jpg
    ewq2

We run a DS1812 internally at my company for backup. Most of my experience is on enterprise NAS, nothing applicable for home, but I've been happy with synology products. Plus they're the only company I've seen that have so many features at low price point. The ability to masquerade as a time machine backup is a godsend for some mac heavy companies.

i'll have to keep that in mind when I'm looking to go a little more high end if I upsize for enterprise, but right now I'm just looking for a good solid all-in-one for just home use/file sharing between machines/set top boxes, and with the way that the WD MyNet has the stream prioritization over torrents, and so much built in diagnostic stuff... I'm really having a hard time finding anything close.

Out of curiosity, your company just run it with the samsungs then, for the Mac cloudage? I'd be tempted if I wanted to have more than 4 TBs acccessible on a cloud, but I just can't foresee myself ever needing that (or being able to afford that sorta bandwidth to routinely cloud like that, lol)

Nah, those'll fit. 44mm or less will clear. http://noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en#DDR3_G.Skill

Oh, awesome. I have no idea how that beast doesn't crack the motherboard in half with all that weight, but whatever.

Oh, awesome. I have no idea how that beast doesn't crack the motherboard in half with all that weight, but whatever.

A very nice mounting bracket, and a bit of finger crossing :P

It's actually more stable than the old heatsink I used to have on my E8400 which was half the size at best, quite a thing.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited June 2012
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P71JJM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You know I really wonder what Black Friday is going to bring for SSD prices.
    Reis2 wrote: »
    Question for you gents--

Are you sure you mounted the heatsink correctly? How did you apply the thermal paste?

I'd be thinking he didn't install thermal paste or forgot to pull the plastic freshwrap off the preapplied stuff.

iRevert on
    ewq2

i'll have to keep that in mind when I'm looking to go a little more high end if I upsize for enterprise, but right now I'm just looking for a good solid all-in-one for just home use/file sharing between machines/set top boxes, and with the way that the WD MyNet has the stream prioritization over torrents, and so much built in diagnostic stuff... I'm really having a hard time finding anything close.

Out of curiosity, your company just run it with the samsungs then, for the Mac cloudage? I'd be tempted if I wanted to have more than 4 TBs acccessible on a cloud, but I just can't foresee myself ever needing that (or being able to afford that sorta bandwidth to routinely cloud like that, lol)

The WD MyNet seems to be conflating a lot of devices together, something I'm always wary of. I would run a linksys with Tomato firmware before trusting almost all of my network to a non-standard proprietary device. You have little way of replacing a specific component if it fails, and it'd be probably be hard to diagnose too.
    To be fair, QoS is a hard thing to implement, even with Cisco enterprise hardware. Software masquerade their traffic on all layers of the OSI, and it can be difficult to correctly identify and throttle. I've dabbled in QoS at home and found the best way was to throttle specific MAC addresses (xbox, boxee, torrent server) rather than specific types of traffic. If WD has better tech to accomplish that, I'm sure we'll hear about it.

As for specific hard drive brands, we're not married to a HD brand, we buy Samsung, WD, and Seagate routinely and no brand has more issue than the other. The only instance in storage where we only buy one brand is SSD. We've determined it's worth the cost of buying Intel all the time for the reliability. As for the "cloud", we rarely hook company NAS to the internet as VPN is more secure and controllable. If you mean offsite backup, then Mozy and Crashplan are good services. I just don't trust companies to offer a "cloud" service when they are not in that specific business. It just seems to be an unavoidable marketing term in IT.

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Is this the best thread to ask about SSD's? I bought a new one and I'm going to put it in, but I've got a regular hard drive with my windows install on it. If I put in the SSD, how do I install windows to it? I assume it would cause complications to have two windows installs on the same computer. Or is it easiest to just format my hard drive and start from scratch? I don't necessarily care if that's the case, I'm just looking for the simplest way to have the SSD with the hard drive for extra shit.

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Just install Windows on the new drive. This will now be your Windows hard drive. On the old HDD the Windows folder will remain but you won't boot from it, unless you jump through some hoops to make it so.
    I suggest you format the HDD though as the Windows folder will take up a bit of space, and it'll be a pain in the ass to delete it.

• PencilPencil Registered User new member
    My 5 yr old video card crapped out and is giving me the fuzzy "tv snow/noise" look. It's an old computer and I have no intention of souping it up. It's been working great for Hulu and Amazon videos, playing Trine, and typing out lots of documents.

gpu: EVGA GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 (newegg)
    mobo: Foxconn P35A-S LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel (newegg)
    cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W

What should I upgrade my gpu to, that is suitable for those basic purposes ... but isn't crap? I was pretty happy with the 8600gts. I don't want to get something that's too state-of-the-art for my mobo and cpu to handle. I've been looking at the $50 cards on Newegg, and it seems that half the time, the reviews say they're crap.

I just found out that evga has a great lifetime warranty for my particular card, but I never registered it. Ughhhhh.

edited June 2012
    I've ordered every piece of the build except for the normal hard drive and the video card. Probably grab those later this week. I can at least set up the rest of the computer using the built in Intel HD4000 for now. I went with the 27" Asus LED instead of the LCD as well. Again, I've got the cash, so why the hell not?

Can anyone recommend a good speaker system? Just two speakers is fine. I have neighbors below me that don't need to be disturbed by bass.

I keep reading bad reviews about the SSD I got. I almost want to return it and just get an Intel one now...argh.

Esh on
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Like almost everyone else, I'm getting a big old 27" monitor. I've narrowed it down to the following:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6610232&pagenumber=6&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=REVIEWS#CustomerReviewsBlock

Planar LCD, very good reviews on Tiger direct, good reviews on Newegg, some concern about the back lighting, stuck pixels, but no major problems. $250, $500 base cost.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2148024&CatId=3774
    I-Inc LED, $249, $300 base. My current 22" is an I-inc that I'm very happy with. Only one review, by a peevish graphic designer.

TL;DR Is it worth picking up a LED screen, even if it has a lower base cost and less people vouching for it? Any help much appreciated.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

ewq2

The WD MyNet seems to be conflating a lot of devices together, something I'm always wary of. I would run a linksys with Tomato firmware before trusting almost all of my network to a non-standard proprietary device. You have little way of replacing a specific component if it fails, and it'd be probably be hard to diagnose too.
    To be fair, QoS is a hard thing to implement, even with Cisco enterprise hardware. Software masquerade their traffic on all layers of the OSI, and it can be difficult to correctly identify and throttle. I've dabbled in QoS at home and found the best way was to throttle specific MAC addresses (xbox, boxee, torrent server) rather than specific types of traffic. If WD has better tech to accomplish that, I'm sure we'll hear about it.

As for specific hard drive brands, we're not married to a HD brand, we buy Samsung, WD, and Seagate routinely and no brand has more issue than the other. The only instance in storage where we only buy one brand is SSD. We've determined it's worth the cost of buying Intel all the time for the reliability. As for the "cloud", we rarely hook company NAS to the internet as VPN is more secure and controllable. If you mean offsite backup, then Mozy and Crashplan are good services. I just don't trust companies to offer a "cloud" service when they are not in that specific business. It just seems to be an unavoidable marketing term in IT.

I dunno, since I know that with the enterprise the money is with the warrnaty's and maintenance, so it's a little different for my own use.. Since I'm most definitely in that middling pro-sumer realm, just enough to be dangerous... I still think that I can't find anything that comes close at a price point for the range of use typical for a gamer house and while I'm gonna be waiting until it drops and is established a bit(since as you said, being an early adopter has it's drawbacks, and I'm also lazy and still haven't fully implemented all the tech I have packed since my last move a year ago (if you're as expert with audio channels as you are with networking knoweldge, I could use some advice ;)) I just know that the MyNet N900 with no drive for $170 (less with cashback, or coupons, etc. if you can find them) and getting an all in one to handle typical household stuff doesn't sound too bad.. Definitely gonna need to be looking to upgrade if I intend to be running stuff via cellular for a true cloud. I don't fuck around too much with the super high end since cost to use is usually at the forefront of my mind (I still haven't spoiled myself with an Ultra High Res, even though I've been eyeing them since that was just x1600 on the highh end..). I'm gonna need to re-read that review, and look for a few more before I pull the trigger (and gert done with my other home projects..), but your recommendations are appreciated, just a little too high end for my meager needs/budget. If you know of anything or find any of your recomended cheaper than I could (they seemed to be like comparing a consumer grade SSD to a PCI X or enterprise grade drive.. I know these price drops on the consumer models is getting me hopeful for a major upgrade in my boot drive size from the 256 Agility.. I've been thinking of getting an Intel 330 for the speed, but my rig just isn't pimp enough to justify somthing that sideways..)

Anyways, thanks again.. Appreciate feedback on the home NAS end because i'm still just dabbling for all intents and purposes, and just excited to not need to have a dedicated box to throw my media collection around the house..

This discussion has been closed.