As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In all the cantinas in all the world, why'd [Star Wars] have to walk into mine?

1252627282931»

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/01/star-wars-1313-officially-announced-about-level-1313-on-corusca/
    After being leaked earlier this evening, Star Wars 1313 has been officially revealed by Lucasarts. A teaser image for the game reveals what looks like an original trilogy-era shuttle, which may mean the game could take place – at least in part – during the era of everyone's favorite series characters.

A press release for Star Wars 1313 says the game is a third-person cinematic action game, set in "Level 1313, a ruthless criminal underground deep below the surface of the planet of Coruscant," and the player will control "a deadly bounty hunter as he uses an arsenal of exotic weaponry to hunt down his marks and uncover the truth surrounding a criminal conspiracy." LucasArts says the game will emphasize Star Wars' "dark and mature" elements, and show off "a part of the Star Wars mythos that we've always known existed, but never had a chance to visit."

In other words, it sounds a lot like the Force Unleashed games, but from the perspective of a bounty hunter instead of a Jedi. We'll hear more at E3 next week, no doubt.
    The dark and mature elements in a franchise that is meant for children according to Lucas.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Incest, murdering entire tribes and burning the flesh off your main character.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It will probably turn into another attempt at a Jedi shooter.

And to be fair, lots of people want that. So the defining quantity will be quality and consistent, after the hilariousness that was TFU2.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I am now excited for Star Wars 1313 2: Jedi Knight.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

And to be fair, lots of people want that. So the defining quantity will be quality and consistent, after the hilariousness that was TFU2.

The way TFU2 left me crushingly disappointed has been matched by no game before or since.

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    I'd love it if the bounty hunter backstory had absolutely any bearing on gameplay, whatsoever. That there hasn't been an open-world Star Wars GTA clone along those lines is a little surprising.

But I'm betting this will be Star Wars-flavored Uncharted, which, granted, could be a ton of fun.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Didn't they release a bounty hunter game in the PS2 era? Think it was set in the prequels though.

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Invisible wrote: »
    Didn't they release a bounty hunter game in the PS2 era? Think it was set in the prequels though.

They did. It was just an old-fashioned shoot-em-up, but with a couple of odd weapons and the opportunity to occasionally "hunt" characters in levels (basically a guy would stand in a crowd and you'd lasso him in exchange for...concept art or something).

Edd on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Don't forget childyoungling murdering.

Also, Bounty Hunter... watched my room mate at the time play through it. Looked interesting and pretty much explained why Palpatine chose Fett as the clone template. Course, it's a story that doesn't need to be told. (He's a bad ass... does more really need to be said?)

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    The Star Wars EU has been firmly targeted at an older audience than the movies, since it obviously wanted to sell to people who saw the movies as kids and have since grown up.

But, really, every new video game franchise is dark, mature, and gritty these days, so whatever.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/01/star-wars-1313-officially-announced-about-level-1313-on-corusca/
    After being leaked earlier this evening, Star Wars 1313 has been officially revealed by Lucasarts. A teaser image for the game reveals what looks like an original trilogy-era shuttle, which may mean the game could take place – at least in part – during the era of everyone's favorite series characters.

A press release for Star Wars 1313 says the game is a third-person cinematic action game, set in "Level 1313, a ruthless criminal underground deep below the surface of the planet of Coruscant," and the player will control "a deadly bounty hunter as he uses an arsenal of exotic weaponry to hunt down his marks and uncover the truth surrounding a criminal conspiracy." LucasArts says the game will emphasize Star Wars' "dark and mature" elements, and show off "a part of the Star Wars mythos that we've always known existed, but never had a chance to visit."

In other words, it sounds a lot like the Force Unleashed games, but from the perspective of a bounty hunter instead of a Jedi. We'll hear more at E3 next week, no doubt.
    The dark and mature elements in a franchise that is meant for children according to Lucas.

The Clone Wars series, and the EU in some books, have dealt with Star Wars "dark & mature" elements before. Some did it better than others, of course.
    Page- wrote: »
    The Star Wars EU has been firmly targeted at an older audience than the movies, since it obviously wanted to sell to people who saw the movies as kids and have since grown up.

But, really, every new video game franchise is dark, mature, and gritty these days, so whatever.

Exactly.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I think there's promise in "dark and mature", to be honest.

I know I'm looking forward to it.

• Options
    I'm not sure why LucasArts hasn't made a Mass Effect clone based on the NJO stuff. There's plenty of over the top "dark and mature" content to be had there.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Maybe it's because Lucas has started stepping away/retiring from his company that they're finally deciding on stuff like this.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    It's not like he won't just retcon it when it turns out to be good despite his best efforts anyway.

• Options
    Because Star Wars don't have plots and characters even worse than the ones in the PT.

stream
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

Don't forget childyoungling murdering.

You're also forgetting cloning war slaves and smuggling drugs and weapons while smiling dashingly.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Nan sant was jango fetts first mentor

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Dark & mature == "Wanna buy some death sticks?"

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    I like the EU books, does that make me a bad person?

• Options
    Only if you like Crystal Star and Planet of Twilight. Some of the others are perfectly respectable pop fiction.

stream
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    No it doesn't. I may not pee on you if you were dying of dehydration in the desert though.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    jjae2123 wrote: »
    I like the EU books, does that make me a bad person?

Yes. Very bad.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    The only Star Wars novel I've ever read was Shadows of the Empire, and that was well over a decade ago so I can't really remember what I thought about it.

I've considered buying it and re-reading it since it's so cheap, or getting the Thrawn Trilogy since I hear so much about those, but I haven't gotten around to it.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Hope someone can help. Trying to find a video.

R2 and c3po right after they get sold in episode 4. It's a dub. C3po talks all gangster. And about killing them in their sleep. It's basically the whole drone selling of R2 and C3po in episode 4 with a dub of what's shlloseded to be a "gangsta" black guy as c3po. Any help?