As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nvidia 9800M problems OR never buy a used laptop

PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks.Registered User regular
Recently I bought a friend's old laptop which came with the following specs:

Dell XPS M1730
MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz, 4.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT
Since setting it up I've had nothing but trouble with the drivers. I've managed to get it to stop crashing on flash videos on sites like Youtube and Giant Bomb. It also doesn't seem to have any problems with photo editing or 3D modeling software, but games cause it to crash pretty consistantly. Currently I'm running the 197.16 drivers though I've tried lots of driver sets up to the very latest. Still it constantly gets the dreaded "display driver stopped responding" error.

The device manager is displaying two errors:
PCI Device:
Device status: The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)

NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT:
Device status: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

I've even gone as far as opening the thing up and cleaning all the way to the bottom with compressed air, but still nothing changes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mwx884o.jpg
PwnanObrien on

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    To be fair the latest FLASH update has caused nothing but slow loading and crashing for me. Have you tried rolling the flash driver/plugin back a version?

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I've had previous versions of flash working on this machine and the latest seems no different. With the 197.16 drivers video seems stable enough to work all day with hardware acceleration set to "off". I found out that the mystery PCI device was a PhysX card because that was a thing. So I got that working with the original drivers.

Also I discovered that the Nvidia 9800M GT on PCI bus 3 is working fine. I have no idea why only one of the two would work...

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg