As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Survivor: [Phalla]ppines - Reserves welcome!

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

Figgy wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Yeah its dumb. But thats how it works on the show.

It does?

Then no one would vote for them? What's the point? I'm confused.
    Yeah its dumb. But thats how it works on the show.
    Emphisised.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote:
    Order of actions:
    public vote -> secret vote -> mafia kill -> daily tasks. Secret vote will trickle if it is the same target as the public vote.

When someone is removed via public vote, does their secret vote still count?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    Doesn't Figgy ask too many questions?

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Do you use up the immunity idol if you play it?

Yes

But you have to play it ahead of time, right? It's not automatic when you would be booted out?

Correct.

If I'm reading it right, the immunity idol just gives you a single chance to guess when you will be voted out in private? If you use it Day 3, for example, and you wouldn't have been voted out anyway, it's still consumed?

You're reading it exactly right, it's still consumed.

The idea is that no one knows you've played it. The exact timing is that you play it after votes are cast, but before they are revealed, so any votes that come up with your name are void.

MrTLicious wrote:
    Order of actions:
    public vote -> secret vote -> mafia kill -> daily tasks. Secret vote will trickle if it is the same target as the public vote.

When someone is removed via public vote, does their secret vote still count?

Their secret vote will not count.

Doesn't Figgy ask too many questions?

Yes, Figgy doesn't ask too many questions.

• Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    Ok, I'm here.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the immunity idol is played privately. It is played before the vote is made, and revealed just prior to revealing the votes (on the show), iirc.

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    I don't like reality TV, it's too MAINSTREAM for me

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    As both a sucker for this show (and TAR) and someone looking to return to Phalla, I will sign up despite currently hosting a game in D&D. This might not be wise!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Are there reward challenges? And if not, there should be, as reward challenges are vital to make the show work right. Though I suppose less in this format.

Are there reward challenges? And if not, there should be, as reward challenges are vital to make the show work right. Though I suppose less in this format.
    ha ha

Do I get to call my mom for winning a comfort challange?

All I know is somebody better call my mama!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIpDl_C5JwA

ha ha

Everyone else can call their mother except for Bedlam.

There are no reward challenges.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    There are definitely ways to earn things, as matches were references in the OP.

edited June 2012
    ha ha

Can I call Bedlam's mother? :winky:

Figgy on
  • TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular

Let's form alliances! I definitely won't betray you at the end.

ha ha

Can I call Bedlam's mother? :winky:

Yes, but not during Wheel of Fortune.

well she dosent watch wheel because of "Those damn college folk and their letters!" Also no spelling bees.

And woe be to the person who interrupts her stories, figgy.

• The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    Even though I am terrible at Phalla, I will !Sign or !Reserve up.

Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
    We're going to have a long day 1 anyway, so I'll give people until 2:00 EDT to get their builds in, then there will be an introductory narration and role PMs. Please don't start voting until you are actually on the island, which should happen around 10 PM EDT.

No, since that may inform you of their eventual builds, since if they don't get a build in by 2:00, they will have an even split.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    <-- Paragon of virtue

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    jdarksun wrote: »
    No, since that may inform you of their eventual builds, since if they don't get a build in by 2:00, they will have an even split.
    I am unclear on how this is a bad thing.

Wouldn't want to give unfair advantages or any such thing.

Though you could argue that it's not exactly "unfair" in the strictest sense.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    People need to be allowed to lie about their stats is his point. If you can discern who never showed up to give a build, you know their stats.

Langly on
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I put 4 in every stat. Was that so hard?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    I put 4 in every stat. Was that so hard?

I'm sure it wasn't, and I look forward to seeing how MrT "interprets" that

Steam profile
    edited June 2012
    Langly wrote: »
    People need to be allowed to lie about their stats is his point. If you can discern who never showed up to give a build, you know their stats.
    Who, precisely, needs to lie? Villagers should be working towards the common good; there have been no mechanics revealed that reward duplicity.

Because even though winning is a minor condition, people will be working against each other, too.

But also yeah, the mafia haven't rolled yet, so there may be reasons for them to hide their stats.

Langly on
    Small modification/clarification to the order of actions:

food consumption -> public vote -> secret vote -> mafia kill -> daily tasks -> weather event

Who, precisely, needs to lie? Villagers should be working towards the common good; there have been no mechanics revealed that reward duplicity.
    Because even though winning is a minorcondition, people will be working against each other, too.
    Anybody stupid enough to be working against the village need to be the first ones against the wall.

but the village is specifically working against the village at first. That is their goal, to beat the other team.

FYI, narrations will not have any game-vital information in them, so feel free to skip them if that's not your thing.
    Day 0

In the year 2053, the show Survivor still airs. Though it is not the show that we know today.

In the mid ‘30s, ratings began dropping as finding entertaining contestants became more difficult. A million dollars wasn’t what it used to be, and fewer and fewer people signed up to join the ranks. They tried everything to keep the show afloat. New twists were continuously added, but most of them were hackneyed. Violence was no longer forbidden but encouraged. In a fit of desperation, the producers even snuck into one tribe’s camp and stole all the clothing belonging to the season’s bombshell while she was bathing, forcing her to complete the game nude, and broadcast the remaining footage uncensored. Though by this time, such displays were not uncommon, even on PBS, so it did little to draw the crowd’s attention from the era’s more depraved content, likeThat’s not my tit! and Granny or Tranny?. However, the increased humiliation contestants were forced to go through only served to further limit the applicant pool, making contestants even less desirable for public consumption.

Eventually, the show could not even afford to pay out the cash prize. In a last ditch effort to keep the show going, the prize was upped to $100 million, but producers were sent in to infiltrate the show, unbeknownst to the contestants (and the general public), to ensure that they wouldn’t actually need to pay out. For four seasons, this went off without a hitch, and a producer always ended up winning the prize. However, in the fifth iteration, the contestants got wise to the plan. No one remembers how the information leaked, only what happened when it did.

On the way to tribal council, the team with immunity joined the losing team to visit Jeff Probst II (a clone of the original host). This was unprecedented, and the producers became nervous. When Jeff asked why they were there, one contestant stood up.

“Jeff, it’s come to our attention that CBS has no intention of paying us the prize. That in fact, you have never paid out the prize since it has been increased. We wanted to tell Mark Burnett and the rest of the producers, in front of the American People, that this will not stand. We came here to send a message.”

Without further warning, 15 contestants pounced on the known mole, binding his extremities together with a spare piece of twine. A larger piece of rope had already been arranged in a pulley system outside the pavilion. The producer was tied to the pulley and hoisted up, hanging from the branch of a durian tree by his hands and feet.

The crew went crazy, trying to stop the madness. As two members of the staff were trying to wrestle down the contestant who was holding the producer up, the rope was dropped, and the hanging martyr dropped 50 feet, straight onto his face.

The contestants all sat dumbfounded. Clearly this had gotten out of control. The filming was canceled, and the season never aired. The only year since the show’s inception that a season of Survivor did not grace the world's television screens.

But eventually word leaked out about what happened. A cut of film was even released, showing bits of the scene as it unfolded. To say that the footage went viral would understate the rate of infection. Merely a week after its release, it had more views than the number of legal internet access points across the world. Some say that Mark Burnett himself leaked the footage to garner interest in the show. If that was the case, it certainly had the desired effect.

The drama of producer moles actually helped the show’s marketability, but more than that, the public’s thirst for blood was realized. As a final twist to the show, contestants were forced into blood sport before every tribal council. Before the game could continue, someone had to die, and it had to be by another contestant's hand.

The twist was a monumental event in television history, and though there were many legal precedents for such a concept, no one had actually put blood sport on television. There were objections, of course, but in a 5-4 decision, the conservative court upheld the right of willing participants to engage in this kind of behavior with correct contracts.

The new era of Survivor had begun, and a new breed of contestant came with it.

• GreenbaronsGreenbarons CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man if Survivor was like this I woudl watch the shit out of it.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I thought I signed up to be a contestant in That's Not My Tit. I think there's been a mistake!

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    Man if Survivor was like this I woudl watch the shit out of it.

Some would argue they have recently added producer plants. Hello Boston Rob's victory after four damn tries.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Man if Survivor was like this I would watch it until it poops.

That's what I heard when you said that.

That was a great narration :lol:

Steam profile
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    So many of my new grudges are sitting out, what's up with that?

Come get your just deserts.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    So many of my new grudges are sitting out, what's up with that?

Come get your just deserts.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdDWGLiROKqG-U6_miKYGg31wCmixkUT08Q0YDu3Zmt9VyCVs-qw

• TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    So here's something I want to talk about now that I know I'm not mafia.

I think we should publicly coordinate the private vote. That is we should agree in thread precisely who should be voted out in each and every private vote. Indeed, I would suggest that once we agree in thread who should eat the private vote then every single villager voting in it must cast their vote for that person, even if they personally were arguing for someone else.

There are a few good reasons to do this:

First, the mafia will surely all be voting for the same individual in these secret ballots. They have no incentive not to. If we allow the private vote to be a free for all, we increase their influence.

Second, having the discussion in public about who we will all vote for in secret forces the mafia to try and sway two votes, increasing their exposure.

Third, should someone unexpected die in the private vote we will know that foul play occurred. Like the use of anti-village immunity idols, for example.

Any caught using an immunity idol should immediately eat the vote the following day.