As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount & Blade 0.808 check end of OP

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
This is an independant game from a couple in Turkey.
Combining a sophisticated, dynamic game world and intense medieval swordfighting action, Mount&Blade strives to create a game experience never seen before. Playing Mount&Blade, you will venture through a world filled with daring enemies as well as friendly groups that will come to your aid or need yours. In a land torn by constant danger, raids and skirmishes, you will raise and lead your own war band, commanding dozens of hardened soldiers. You will hunt down your enemies following the tracks they leave behind. And you will fight epic battles where arrows cut the air with deadly hisses, axes and swords hack with fury, and horses and men clash into a violent melee.
the world

Mount&Blade places you in a dynamic world alive with action and detail. NPC groups in this world are continuously active, journeying, looking for enemies and engaging in battles with each other, whether you are there to see them or not. It is, in a way, a very real world. Events unfold and some quests are resolved through the world's own dynamics.

Combat
Battles in Mount&Blade require a high degree of concentration and user involvement. A few powerful blows can take you down, and there is no such thing as a "healing potion", therefore you must stay alert and parry or dodge each and every blow. This is difficult, but when you enter a pitched battle against five dark knights, and emerge as the last man standing, you will know that you deserve your reputation as the finest swordfighter in Calradia.

The Commander

Even a formidable fighter can be overwhelmed by numbers and enemy parties tend to be strong in numbers in Mount&Blade. Therefore if you want to stand up against them, you will have to raise your own band of soldiers. Peasants will join your band with nothing more than their farming tools. And in the firebed of battles, they will either perish or be hardened into professional warriors, while you yourself will evolve from a lonesome adventurer to a seasoned and cunning commander, and a force to be reckoned with.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg6.jpg7.jpg5.jpg8.jpg
9.jpg10.jpg
11.jpg
35.jpg

HI res gameplay video

Low res gameplay video

VERSION .894 is out so upgrade accordingly! Save games are NOT compatable between upgrades so remember that.

Download Page

Forums are funky for the moment so if you can't get through, be patient and try again.

PLEEEEAAAASSSEE buy this game to support the wonderful people who made this!

Patch Download from Filefront

Patch Download from Download.com
Notes for people who are upgrading from previous versions:

Savegames from older versions will not work with version 0.894. If you want to restore your character from an old version, load your character with the old version, and from character window->statistics menu, export your character. You can then create a character with the same name and use the import function to import him to the new game.

In your first installation of version 0.894, your configuration and option files will not be used anymore. Therefore you'll need to redo any changes that you have made to your configuration.

Spoilered changed list
Change list
*Ragdolls for soldiers and horses upon death. (You can toggle it on / off in options)
*Generally smarter AI - great improvements
*Attitude meter in dialog window
*Strategy window in battle mode
*Wiki like pages on map
*New way of recruiting soldiers
*Factions system drastically fleshed out - Swadians, Vaegirs, Nords, Rhodoks, Khergits.
*Better map graphics
*Bigger map, higher movement speeds
*Generally faster mounted combat
*Quick battle option from the main menu
*Sieges
*Map shows the current year
*Fiefs (owned by player) + being able to manage them
*Lots of new quests
*Rolf and Ymira - new heroes
*Parties are lead by heroes
*Lots of villages
*Bump map support
*LOD system (Level. Of. Detail. -- Improves performance drastically)
*Bigger in battle - battle maps
*More detailed lighting system
*Better skyboxes
*A few new items, armours, weapons and horses
*Lots of new scene items and generally beautifull scenes
*Faction and player heraldry
*Animated heraldry flags on the map
*Credits featuring the forumites as well
*Looting, pillaging and sieging in the campaign mode.
*Battle size goes up to 72
*Scouts giving info in several taverns
*Walking NPCS in towns
*Accesible dungeons
*Fleshed out tutorials (+New text display)
*Better commanding system
*No more dancing in battle (units that are ordered to Hold position, to Follow or Archer units.)
*Archery is improved, reticule problem fixed.
*First person mode is improved, camera moves along when you are killed or knocked unconsious etc. (Key is now R as well)
*Map features a compass - The sea is the north
*Kill count and other statistics seen from the wiki style page.
*No more padded cloth neccesary for Marnid.
*Defending units are reported to stay put and really defend in battle rather than march straight for your party.
*Map edge improved
*Dual-core support
*More menu backgrounds
*In battle maps are calculated more efficiently. Cliffs are rough and have a nice rocky texture for example.
*Water looks even better now.
*Shallow water on the map is passable.
*River pirates are stronger.
*Bigger parties over all.
*Renown system. ('fame'. Lots of renown will open doors for you)
*Morale system. (Morale affects speed on the map)
*Third, allied parties are reported to join and help you out in battle.
*Updated blood effects
*Better particle system
*Improved graphics options
*Fierce village battles - sometimes the village is burning!
*Camping + having a few statistics viewable when camping
*Spears are more effective
*Iventory window for heroes is limited to the equipement now
*Terrain feature much more imrproved (can choose the size of a polygon, allowing huge maps with low CPU cost)
*Improved edit mode (features such as scale are present)
*AI sieges towns as well as castles from time to time.
*Improved commands (units stand in a much better formation now) and new commands (spread out, stand closer, use blunt weapons)

Mod sheet

RoyceSraphim on

• arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2006
    really a fantastic pick up and play sorta game

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    There's a new thread on this game every few months, but that's okay because it's so awesome.

I haven't played it much since the last update came out, but this thread has prompted me to put it on my new computer and see what new mods the community has produced.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • RolfusRolfus Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This the fourth M&B thread we've had but it's all good, more people needs to know about this gem. I've probably spent more time with this 10$ game than almost anything else I've bought since, and it's been a while now.. I haven't played any lately, but I'm always interested in trying out the new versions as they are released. When I saw this topic I thought for a moment that this was the case, but no, same old v.0751 that's been there for ages. :cry:

Rolfus on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Unfortunately, Armagan, the guy behind M&B, has been MIA for two months since his last English forum post. The only news we've gotten about M&B's development has been through second-hand sources, like European gaming news sites. Recently Ikisoft (the name of Armagan's dev studio) got a publishing deal with some pretty big independant publisher out there, and that's about it. Nobody knows if this will affect whether or not the final game will be released online or even if the people who already invested into the game early for $10 will have to pony up money again, which we have been promised time and again would not be the case.

Not that I would have a problem with buying a fully-fleshed-out M&B for another $30-40, but it would kill his fanbase.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Honestly, this game is probably the best bang for your buck when it comes to video games, EVER.

I've probably clocked more time into it in the past six months than I have any other game, not all at once, but it's the sort of game you *always* come back to, and once you've bought it, you can always come back.

Get it.

Get some of the wicked mods too.

fsmith1 on
  • RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    korodullin wrote:
    Unfortunately, Armagan, the guy behind M&B, has been MIA for two months since his last English forum post. The only news we've gotten about M&B's development has been through second-hand sources, like European gaming news sites. Recently Ikisoft (the name of Armagan's dev studio) got a publishing deal with some pretty big independant publisher out there, and that's about it. Nobody knows if this will affect whether or not the final game will be released online or even if the people who already invested into the game early for $10 will have to pony up money again, which we have been promised time and again would not be the case.

Not that I would have a problem with buying a fully-fleshed-out M&B for another $30-40, but it would kill his fanbase.

I was not aware of this... :| I'm of the people who picked it up back when it was $10 too, and I check his main page every few weeks to see if there's a new version, but I haven't been very active in their forum community. I agree, the wrath against them - even if undeserved - will be endless if they don't hold to their promise of "all upgrades through release are free."

At any rate, :^: :^: to this thread, since it's always good to draw new people to this excellent game. The pictures in the OP could stand to be full pics rather than links so people can quickly see what they're getting into, IMO. Heck, we could even do linked thumbnails like they do. :shock: How do ya like them apples, eh? Eh? :winky:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
    4.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

For those who haven't played it yet, note that that man is on a horse. And he is firing a bow. At men behind him, who are chasing him on horses.

Go on then, go download it now. :wink:

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • GuRuGuRu Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I love this game sooooo much. <3

Haven't played in a long while, but are they still consistently working on new updates and such?

EDIT: I'm too stupid to read, ignore me

GuRu on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    GuRu wrote:
    I love this game sooooo much. <3

Haven't played in a long while, but are they still consistently working on new updates and such?

EDIT: I'm too stupid to read, ignore me
    The next update is supposed to be a huge one, with lots of tweaks and additions and such. I don't have a link to some of the features Armagan mentioned on me, but it's pretty large.

No troop formations, however, and that's irked a lot of people - namely modders who I don't think have been able to get formations working properly yet.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Bew! Bew! Bew!Bew! Bew! Bew! Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'll bite.

downloading

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This is one of those games that I will never uninstall from my PC.

Mostly because I lost the Email containing my key, but that's besides the point. It's awesome.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • KarnKarn Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I have seen tons of threads for this game but never... I never knew. I must try this now.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I tried to play this game once, but it refused to run on my computer. I think the copy protection scheme that Mount and Blade uses didn't like my computer for some reason.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
    edited August 2006
    Karn wrote:
    I have seen tons of threads for this game but never... I never knew. I must try this now.

Your sig! WHAT GAME IS THAT? I remember renting it for the NES when I was... 9? 10? and loving it to death. I thought I remembered it being called "Operation: Rescue", but Googling has failed me. I must know!

Regardless, I'm proud to have helped bring Mount and Blade to the attention of someone with that for a sig. :D

Ravenlock on
  • EntropyEntropy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    1066 is a pretty good mod if you don't mind the stupid font and weird troop names.

Linky: http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=7&lid=214

Entropy on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Sorry for the n00b question, but is this a single player game, or a MMO, or some other variant?

This looks really cool, I might have to download it when I get home from work.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2006
    Heir03 wrote:
    Sorry for the n00b question, but is this a single player game, or a MMO, or some other variant?

This looks really cool, I might have to download it when I get home from work.

All single player. Highly moddable, and many have done so.

Also still in development, though development seems to have slowed, or at least is taking place pretty much entirely behind the scenes at this point.

Ravenlock on
    edited August 2006
    I can attest for the absolute rocking involved in DarkMod, Last Days, and I've just recently started the Rome Total War mod.

DarkMod is pretty simple honestly, but it's still quite fun.

Last Days is LotR. It pwns.

Rome is much, much more difficult than any other mod I've tried for M&B, but it is just *so* *good*, totally reworked weapons and everything, nothing from the original game remains.

fsmith1 on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    First I was like, "What could possibly be the appeal of this game?"

Now I just can't stop killing river pirates. God damned this game is addictive.

Even though my entire 16 man party just got raped and captured by dark knights -_-

Vic on
  • Casses JudgerCasses Judger Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    fsmith1 wrote:
    I can attest for the absolute rocking involved in DarkMod, Last Days, and I've just recently started the Rome Total War mod.

Rome is much, much more difficult than any other mod I've tried for M&B, but it is just *so* *good*, totally reworked weapons and everything, nothing from the original game remains.

Roman mod? Tell me more.

Casses Judger on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    fsmith1 wrote:

Roman mod? Tell me more.

Seriously, since when was their a rome mod.

I couldn't stand last days. I just couldn't find anything to fight in that game. I rode around for 30 minutes before I gave up on it.

wakkawa on
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Ravenlock wrote:
    Karn wrote:

Your sig! WHAT GAME IS THAT? I remember renting it for the NES when I was... 9? 10? and loving it to death. I thought I remembered it being called "Operation: Rescue", but Googling has failed me. I must know!

Regardless, I'm proud to have helped bring Mount and Blade to the attention of someone with that for a sig. :D
    Rescue: The Embassy Mission ?

I don't know, just guessing based on my searching.

Edit: I appear to be correct. Searched Gamefaqs for "Operation" then tried "Rescue" and googled anything that sounded somewhat like it. My search skills > yours.

Zell on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    You have made me update my version and I found a Japanese mod so I think I shall be heald over for awhile between this and dead rising.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • algorhythmalgorhythm Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    God I hated that game. I loaded it up (I couldn't beat this game as a kid) and the game is seriously like 10 fucking minutes long.

EDIT: I meant to quote the Rescue: The Embassy Mission post.

algorhythm on
    terrible.jpg
    edited August 2006
    this game is pretty neat. selling slaves is fun

soften bandits up with my sword, then KO them with my lance. cha ching

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
    edited August 2006
    fsmith1 on
    edited August 2006
    So...cough....after reading about this game, I downloaded it around 8 p.m. It's now 3:30 a.m. and I just stopped playing. Well, I stopped once to BUY it after I hit level 6.

I hate you guys.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2006
    Zell wrote:
    Ravenlock wrote:
    Karn wrote:

Rescue: The Embassy Mission ?

I don't know, just guessing based on my searching.

Edit: I appear to be correct. Searched Gamefaqs for "Operation" then tried "Rescue" and googled anything that sounded somewhat like it. My search skills > yours.

I bow to your superior Googling. I should've thought to search Gamefaqs, but did not.
    Heir03 wrote:
    So...cough....after reading about this game, I downloaded it around 8 p.m. It's now 3:30 a.m. and I just stopped playing. Well, I stopped once to BUY it after I hit level 6.

I hate you guys.

Hate feels a lot like love, doesn't it. :wink:

I'm glad this thread is bringing in many new converts. This should remain a monthly tradition.

Ravenlock on
  • varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    http://store3.esellerate.net/store/support/

If you lost the email containing your serial key, go there to recover it!

varland on
    edited August 2006
    played from my last post to now, woo.

gets tough though, wish I didn't have to rely on stupid npc's to help me battle. *shakes fist at vikings*

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I find myself uncontrollably saying stupid stuff like "Ha ha, taste steel cur!" constantly while playing this.

I love it. :D

-SPI- on
    edited August 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    I find myself uncontrollably saying stupid stuff like "Ha ha, taste steel cur!" constantly while playing this.

I love it. :D

Hahah I do the exact same thing.

I'm so completely in love with galloping through a crowd of river pirates, swinging left and right and taking out two or three pirates in one charge. Oh man.

So is there any kind of story or big questline? I've only done the river pirates quest, and done some convoy duty.

I started the game by gaining a few levels in the arena, which helped. Now I'm pretty much the largest supplier of slaves in the world. :)

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2006
    Oh yeah, is anyone else's sound messed up? I think it's reversed for me, and it's quite annoying when I'm trying to find where the last few skirmishes are happening.

Either better sound or a radar would be nice.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    varland wrote:
    http://store3.esellerate.net/store/support/

If you lost the email containing your serial key, go there to recover it!

Awesome, didn't know you could recover the key. I had lost mine a few hard drives back and have not gotten around to seeing if I could recover it.

Wonder if anything has changed, last I played was maybe a year ago?

My step-son was a freaking sniper with the thrown axes. I had never even considered that weapon, but he could headshot 100% of the time and with enough str and axe skill he could do this from silly range. 1 shot 1 kill EVERY time. It was silly watching him dismember entire armies with his axes and shield. Never even bothered with a horse, as it would just die.

The shield looked hilarious after a fight, since he would be blocking all the arrows, xbows, axes, javelins and they would all be sticking in his shield at the end.

Wonder if they ever balanced those throwing axes. I thought the lance was overpowered when couched, but those axes were SICK.

Smudge on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Counched lance ftw!

Also, I get the feeling it didn't have its origin there, but the arena in the Last Days mod is expanded over the original and fucking awesome. Jousts, 4 team matches... I spent hours there before even bothering to venture into middle earth.

CyberJackal on
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    There will be a storyline when the game is completed. For now, you can get one of the many excellent mods that include stories (eg, Story Mod).
    Heir03 wrote:
    Oh yeah, is anyone else's sound messed up? I think it's reversed for me, and it's quite annoying when I'm trying to find where the last few skirmishes are happening.

I don't know about your sound problems, but you should increase your perception and tracking skills in order to see what's going on around you. If you can get one of the named NPCs into your party, it's best to train him in all the non-combat and non-leader skills rather than wasting skill points on yourself.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    34.jpg

One question: How much does the Horse Armor plugin cost? :P

I'm downloading now. And maybe buying.

MechMantis on
    edited August 2006
    Nibble wrote:
    There will be a storyline when the game is completed. For now, you can get one of the many excellent mods that include stories (eg, Story Mod).
    Heir03 wrote:

I don't know about your sound problems, but you should increase your perception and tracking skills in order to see what's going on around you. If you can get one of the named NPCs into your party, it's best to train him in all the non-combat and non-leader skills rather than wasting skill points on yourself.

Well I find all sorts of different groups running around outside of towns, and I do enjoy killing them with extreme predjudice.

However, what else is there to do, especially quest-wise?

I do have one named party member, some merchant guy. He gets knocked out a lot, but he's alright for the most part.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Raze_EverythingRaze_Everything Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I cant go back to the vanilla game now that ive been playing the Expanded Gameplay mod. It adds a buncha nice stuff and its definatly worth checking out of yourself. I did a little copy and paste of the features below. Trophies alone really added alot to the game as giving you something to do when you become godlike.

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,10984.0.html

- four times as many items as in vanilla M&B with progressively increasing power and requirements
    - redone all factions of the world. Emphasized and narrowed combat styles of the factions.
    - includes Raptor's weapons and some luigi's models, big thanks to them both.
    - about ten new troop types spread over the factions to train and fight.
    - ability to readily rescue or train steppe, khergit, sea raider, dark and bandit troops into your party.
    - overall I think a more fierce combat atmosphere in battles and some enemy parties will challenge even high level characters.
    - five new starting classes.
    - redone arena combat.
    - five completely new armies to defeat
    - trophies that can be collected from loot and exchanged for experience or reward items.
    - fifteen new horses.

Raze_Everything on
    RazeEverything.png
    edited August 2006
    I cant go back to the vanilla game now that ive been playing the Expanded Gameplay mod. It adds a buncha nice stuff and its definatly worth checking out of yourself. I did a little copy and paste of the features below. Trophies alone really added alot to the game as giving you something to do when you become godlike.

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,10984.0.html

- four times as many items as in vanilla M&B with progressively increasing power and requirements
    - redone all factions of the world. Emphasized and narrowed combat styles of the factions.
    - includes Raptor's weapons and some luigi's models, big thanks to them both.
    - about ten new troop types spread over the factions to train and fight.
    - ability to readily rescue or train steppe, khergit, sea raider, dark and bandit troops into your party.
    - overall I think a more fierce combat atmosphere in battles and some enemy parties will challenge even high level characters.
    - five new starting classes.
    - redone arena combat.
    - five completely new armies to defeat
    - trophies that can be collected from loot and exchanged for experience or reward items.
    - fifteen new horses.

can you transfer classic characters over to it?

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
    edited August 2006
    Seriously dudes, give Rome a shot. It pwns. Myself being an archer + gladius user, and having a group of 21 Urban Cohorts (the best of the roman army) we can destroy entire Gallic War Parties while taking two or three casualties.

fsmith1 on