As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I've actually been wanting to buy a pair of Vibrams for like 3 years now, but I never get around to it.

Now that they're so popular I can't do it. I need a newer, hipper pair of minimalist shoes.

I have a pair of Titan deadlift slippers which are about as minimalist as it gets. They are actually just a thin low cut sock with a 2-3mm rubber sole sewn on the bottom. Great to pull in (and fun to deadlift in as well)

Damn those are cheaper than I expected.

Are they durable?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Haha, I don’t think so. The material is very thin and looks like it would tear quite easily. As such, I’ve only used them for training 3 or 4 times and once in competition. They look the business though. When I’m wearing them with socks, you can barely tell they’re there.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Pulled 360x1, felt good. I didn't set my hands well and almost lost it at the top, stupid grip, but I hung on well enough.

I'll have 4 plates by the end of the year yet.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Good work Peen. I have my eyes on that goal by December too.

First day at the new gym today. Everything was OK except for the fact that the 20kg / 45lb plates were smaller in diameter than the standard. DLs are going to be a bitch. I have two options:

1) Stack some plates underneath my bar for an extra few inches. Setting down the weight is gonna be annoying.

2) Make an arrangement with the gym management to bring in 2 of my own 20kg plates and leave them in a corner, or the admin room, or something. And hope they don't disappear.

• Options
    3) Bonus option: pull from a deficit for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    How big of a difference are we talking? If it’s only about an inch lower then just take the deficit, it’s less hassle and will probably benefit you in the long run.

There’s a point where deficit deads don’t carry over to your full dead as well by virtue of messing up your starting position but from what I’ve been told, that point is about 3-4” so I doubt you’d run into it here.

• Options
    Based on my crude measurements using my gym towel, the plates are about 400mm-410mm, so about 4-5cm smaller than they need to be.

I'm going to try some light deadlifts on Wednesday to test my starting position then make a decision based on that.

• Options
    Exactly how big in diameter do plates 'need' to be for a deadlift anyway? My 50 pounders are 16"-17" in diameter I think.

• Options
    I think standard is 450mm diameter with a 50mm hole. Which puts the middle of your bar at approximately half that.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Silly metric system

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    I think standard is 450mm diameter with a 50mm hole. Which puts the middle of your bar at approximately half that.

So what you're saying is I've got the right sized plates, gotcha. (Google-hooooo!)

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I am so bad at the bench press it's hilarious

at least I've gone from only being able to do negatives to doing sets of 4 chin-ups at a time

• Options
    Benching is hard. You'll get it.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that of the big three, the bench is the hardest to master. Any time I think I'm getting close, I find out that I am actually just a little girl.

• Options
    My third set on the bench today was just all wobbly and the weight kept shifting a bit to either side, it was a bit worrisome.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that of the big three, the bench is the hardest to master. Any time I think I'm getting close, I find out that I am actually just a little girl.

It's so crazy because it seems relatively straightforward, at least as compared to the other two, but holy shit is there a lot of technique involved.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It's also the hardest to self-form check on. You can't use mirrors, and there are a lot of different ways you can fuck it up, some of which won't even show up on cam.

• Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    I actually find the squat the hardest to master. Under heavy weight, I become a crumbling mess and who knows if my form has gone out the door just gotta get that weight uppp

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Bench is a less 'normal' exercise than the other two - I know I stand up with heavy stuff in my hands or on my back more than I push weight off my chest.

Presumably you guys do powerlifter style arched back benching? I read somewhere that it's the best way to get really good pec activation (probably because it's sort of decline which is more in line with the pec direction of pull).

My form goes to shit the worst on heavy DL. Just can't stop my back from arching, though I don't completely crumble.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    Bench is a less 'normal' exercise than the other two - I know I stand up with heavy stuff in my hands or on my back more than I push weight off my chest.

Presumably you guys do powerlifter style arched back benching? I read somewhere that it's the best way to get really good pec activation (probably because it's sort of decline which is more in line with the pec direction of pull).

My form goes to shit the worst on heavy DL. Just can't stop my back from arching, though I don't completely crumble.

Yeah I also make sure my back is arched, feet strongly planted on the ground and such. Pinch my shoulders together good and tight and keep them back... "Make it as uncomfortable as possible" was the basic premise from a video I watched.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm with duck. With deadlift and squat both once I figured out my form I hit a groove and the weight kept going up. I banged my head against bench forever before I figured out what the fuck I was doing. What is this leg drive? What do you mean pull my shoulder blades together? I have to drop the weight all the way to my chest? AUGH I'M SO WEAK

Peen on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    deadlift is the only one that I picked up easily, and I still have to focus pretty hard on not rounding my back. though come to think of it I guess I haven't really tried to find my max for deadlifting

I've very nearly gotten my squat form down, I'm pretty sure I just have shitty flexibility so hitting parallel is a challenge

FrylockHolmes on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    I simply don't bench anymore. I've had so many shoulder issues, and they've all stemmed from the bench. I will do behind-the-neck presses pain-free, but I won't bench.

When I want to train my chest, I do pushups.

As far as form goes on squats and deadlifts, I have zero issues with deadlift form. I have some issues with squats due to my bad knee, but my form actually improves as I add weight. I can't squat properly with 135 on my back, but I can do it no problem with 285.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I have sort of given up on the bench press as well. I've been stalled out around 225 1RM for as long as I can remember. I've been doing dumbbell presses and pushup variations for a while, maybe when I go back they will have helped but at the moment I just fucking hate the bench

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    wook have you listened to any Iron Radio? Those dudes get pretty hardcore scientific sometimes, you might dig it. I just finished an episode with Dr. Mauro DiPasquale and holy crap is he a strong old man.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    So getting back into the swings of things, although I'm focusing on doing more reps at less weight. For now. I need to shed these bad pounds man. Did find out I'm not doing that shit without a fan in my basement anymore though, not over summer. Felt light headed after 3x15 squats but was instantly better once I got some cool air flow. Not sure if I'll stick with 3x15 though, maybe for the bench and press but god damn did that leave me wobbling for the squat.

Deadlift is still heavy though of course, and the weight will still go up just not as quickly. Now just to get myself that weight tree... a trip to Dick's is in order!

Arthil on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So I was wondering to myself if I'd lost enough weight that I could start bulking up again. I went and said to my coach "hey coach am I lean enou-"
    "nope."
    "but I didn't even take off my sh-"
    "can see fine from here fatty".

Later on someone said "it's a bit unfair that you call Tube fat all the time, you don't do that to anyone else". My coach thought deeply about this and then said "Omar is fat too."

• Options
    Well Tube.

You are a hedgehog.

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    So I was wondering to myself if I'd lost enough weight that I could start bulking up again. I went and said to my coach "hey coach am I lean enou-"
    "nope."
    "but I didn't even take off my sh-"
    "can see fine from here fatty".

Later on someone said "it's a bit unfair that you call Tube fat all the time, you don't do that to anyone else". My coach thought deeply about this and then said "Omar is fat too."

That's hilarious. Love it. What sport?

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Weightlifting.

• Options
    Haha, Tube that is awesome

• Options
    Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuck. I just had my first session in 7 months after injuring my shoulder and rehabilitating it. I'm so weak. I could only do half of what I used to, less in some exercises.The tendon in my shoulder is still wonky and it sucks. Squats sucked. I've lost about 2 pounds in that time frame as well (I used to be around 60 lbs). I need to get back what I've lost.

• Options
    My bench is crappy but has slowly been getting better, and I don't appear to be injuring myself (yet) doing it, so I'm just gonna keep on trying. Hoping for a 260lb 1RM by the end of the year, but that might be optimistic. I'd settle for 240.

• Options
    I need to put up a 140kg bench at nationals or I am a disgrace to the sport. First comp was November 2010 and I benched 115kg. 18 months on and my best competition bench is 130kg. True, there have been a number of injuries involved, but that really is a poor effort.

140kg. I am coming for you, you son of a bitch.

• Options
    Also, I am chuffed because while I was squatting, my brother gave me a call to advise me that as of this afternoon I am uncle to a beautiful baby girl.

Celebratory chicken time!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Nice, Badger!

• Options
    Congrats TRB.

Ugh, my hammies always get so sore the day after RDLs. Always, without fail, I can rely on RDLs to make my life agony the next day.

• Options
    I need to put up a 140kg bench at nationals or I am a disgrace to the sport. First comp was November 2010 and I benched 115kg. 18 months on and my best competition bench is 130kg. True, there have been a number of injuries involved, but that really is a poor effort.

140kg. I am coming for you, you son of a bitch.

Here's some inspiration!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj01wwoISfI

• Options
    I'm gonna get to see Donny in person in September. I won't lie, I'm pretty dang excited.

He and Glenn Pendlay are coming to Sydney for some Oly Lifting seminars. I jumped on that as soon as I found out.

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    In this episode of, "Nah nah nah boo boo, stick your head in doo doo @Peen " pulled 375 for a single. On to four plates!

This discussion has been closed.