As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - Celestiopod

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited June 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Celestiopod

Celestiopod
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/celestiopod

True Frustration.

Anonymous

One new tester was an absolute twit, but he used to be a teacher so went from training straight to “assistant trainer.”

Now, this guy was a *terrible* tester, with no instinct for testing whatsoever, but man could he write those Powerpoint presentations! For a year while we crunched 70+ hour workweeks we saw this dick work a cozy 9-5 and have weekends off and get every holiday off. He got promoted to full-time, “Head Trainer,” then promoted again to Senior Testing Lead and was put in charge of a AAA title without ever having written so much as one bug.

The worst was he would sit in the breakroom and talk about how fantastic the industry was and nobody had any room to complain—after all, look how successful he was!

Geth on

• JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Definitely setting traps.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Ahh, the "despair squid" excuse.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • RazalgrimRazalgrim Registered User regular
    Marley has eyes. Well, one eye. Huh. Who woulda thought.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Ahh, the "despair squid" excuse.

I am reminded simultaneously of Red Dwarf's heights and depths.

Admiral Ackbar must be feeling uneasy right now.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    It is all falling into place now.

This marks the first time in this comic where I am really keen to see where it goes next.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It is all falling into place now.

This marks the first time in this comic where I am really keen to see where it goes next.

Cora knows Q.
    She's three steps and a space spitoon ahead.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    I'm impressed he's been able to come up with this many excuses for a roll-back that might actually work.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Bascially

• rextheovermindrextheovermind Registered User new member
    What I'm really coming to learn from all of these tester stories is that the jobs of testers are JUST LIKE everyone else's job in the corporate world...

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Yeah - I was in a similar situation to the story. I have a teaching certificate and during a stint as a sleazy telemarketer, failing miserably to make sales, they tried to get me to become a trainer. Fortunately I found another job before having to take them up on the offer as I was a terrible salesman, probably the last person you'd want training others on the topic. As a side note - hearing the line "Talk to old people, they're lonely and will buy anything if you talk to them for awhile" was actually something a team lead told me to help make sales.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Razalgrim wrote: »
    Marley has eyes. Well, one eye. Huh. Who woulda thought.

this was the first thing I noticed about this as well. One would hope there's a second one where it ought to be, but I think it's a great way to show *how* surprised/alarmed he is re: Q's arrival, hahaha

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    I think it's safe to say that Marley abuses hallucinogens now. And I'm not just talking about Q's punch, either.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Yeah - I was in a similar situation to the story. I have a teaching certificate and during a stint as a sleazy telemarketer, failing miserably to make sales, they tried to get me to become a trainer. Fortunately I found another job before having to take them up on the offer as I was a terrible salesman, probably the last person you'd want training others on the topic. As a side note - hearing the line "Talk to old people, they're lonely and will buy anything if you talk to them for awhile" was actually something a team lead told me to help make sales.
    Aye, been there. Those who employ telemarketers (in particularly insurance salesmen) are some of the sleaziest people on the planet, right up there with 'Criminal Lawyers' and Used Cars. They do infact target the elderly simply because it's easier to trick them.

Ori Klein on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    This is an homage to the Game of Thrones tv show, when one of the characters (not saying to avoid minor spoilers, I guess) tells different stories to a number of people to find out which one of them is leaking. When the official forums are abuzz with what the roll-back is going to be about, he'll know which of his people leaked. It makes me like Q more that they're attributing to him the role of that particular character from GoT. There was a reference to it last comic, too, with "Dark wings, dark tidings."

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Ori Klein wrote: »
    Aye, been there. Those who employ telemarketers (in particularly insurance salesmen) are some of the sleaziest people on the planet, right up there with 'Criminal Lawyers' and Used Cars. They do infact target the elderly simply because it's easier to trick them.

I am looking forward to being elderly for this reason.

Right now, I have zero time to waste on people trying to trick me into buying stuff I don't need. I'm married, have a young child and an often more-than-fulltime job.

When I'm retired and probably pretty bored, I'll have all kinds of time to chat with these people. I still won't buy anything, but I intend to pay back every moment of my time they've wasted over the years ten times over (payback with interest is a bitch).