As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    And lifting now goes on hiatus for a bit. Me, being the uncoordinated dumbass I am, managed to trip up an escalator, and now 5 of my fingers hurt like a bitch every time i put pressure on them.

Own worst enemy, i swear.

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    I'm gonna get to see Donny in person in September. I won't lie, I'm pretty dang excited.

He and Glenn Pendlay are coming to Sydney for some Oly Lifting seminars. I jumped on that as soon as I found out.

I actually thought about coming over for that. I could use a holiday and a catch up with some Aus based friends. Even though I'm not big into the oly lifts, it would be a cool thing to fit into a holiday.

Bank though. The problem is always bank.

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Hmm yeah it's a fair bit of cash to drop (flights, accommodation and the seminar) for just a couple days of fun, so I don't blame you.

I'm actually going to the Canberra one because the Sydney one is sold out. Though it's possible they might do a second seminar. I'm kinda happy to get out of town for a day or two though anyway. Plus there will hopefully be less wankers, the Sydney one is being hosted at Crossfit Sydney.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Okay so to try and help my weight loss further I decided to mix cardio into things on Tuesdays and Thursdays right? Yeah well I'm not sure if I chose the best exercises. High Knees, Jumping Jacks, and Jump "Rope" except... without the rope.

Felt fine after doing them, better even in terms of the aching in my legs. Now I can't get up and into my chair without doing so slowly x_X. Well. Maybe I'll be fine tomorrow.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Don't let the soreness deter you, recovery gets a lot easier as time goes on. As far as which exercises to do for cardio, it's kind of just whatever gets your heart rate up for an extended period of time and is not boring. Switching it up occasionally will help

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    I want to stamp "IMO" at the end of every post I write in this thread

edited June 2012
    I was able to actually, y'know, do them fine. Only real problem is I might need to actually knot tie my shorts. Wasn't able to find a damn thing about doing High Knees for sets/reps like Fitocracy wants it to be entered so I basically just did them to a count of 20 and called that 20 reps.

Edit: Not unused to soreness, but not lifting for close to 4 weeks certainly didn't help.

Arthil on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    5 plates of chicken at a chinese buffet an hour and a half before lifting.

Best. Idea. Ever.

CangoFett wrote: »
    5 plates of chicken at a chinese buffet an hour and a half before lifting.

Best. Idea. Ever.

That's a lot of MSG ya got there.

edited June 2012
    Haha, back when I was at Uni, we bought a tin of MSG from the Chinese supermarket down the road and took great delight in adding it to most of our dinners until the novelty wore off.

TheRealBadger on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I need to put up a 140kg bench at nationals or I am a disgrace to the sport. First comp was November 2010 and I benched 115kg. 18 months on and my best competition bench is 130kg. True, there have been a number of injuries involved, but that really is a poor effort.

140kg. I am coming for you, you son of a bitch.

Here's some inspiration!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj01wwoISfI

Is he resting the bar on his freaking collarbone?!

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Also, I am chuffed because while I was squatting, my brother gave me a call to advise me that as of this afternoon I am uncle to a beautiful baby girl.

Celebratory chicken time!

Look goddamnit, if I can still fucking bench, you can surely bench 140kg.

Also congrats on being an uncle!

It's all the fun with none of the responsibilities.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    Arthil wrote: »
    Okay so to try and help my weight loss further I decided to mix cardio into things on Tuesdays and Thursdays right? Yeah well I'm not sure if I chose the best exercises. High Knees, Jumping Jacks, and Jump "Rope" except... without the rope.

Felt fine after doing them, better even in terms of the aching in my legs. Now I can't get up and into my chair without doing so slowly x_X. Well. Maybe I'll be fine tomorrow.

Try mountain climbers

Get on the ground, ass up in the air, back straight, with your hands lined up under your shoulders. You should look like an A. Drive one knee to your chest and kick the other out. Alternate legs.

Arthil wrote: »

Try mountain climbers

Get on the ground, ass up in the air, back straight, with your hands lined up under your shoulders. You should look like an A. Drive one knee to your chest and kick the other out. Alternate legs.

I'll give it a go. The ache is mostly in that area right above my knees. Which is why it makes me walk like a fucking duck after I've been sitting for a little while. Not slept yet though, so, we'll see.

Bear in mind you won't be able to keep your back completely straight. You'd have to be real flexible to do that. The point is speed/power. You could superset them with squats or bodyweight squats.

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Hmm yeah it's a fair bit of cash to drop (flights, accommodation and the seminar) for just a couple days of fun, so I don't blame you.

I'm actually going to the Canberra one because the Sydney one is sold out. Though it's possible they might do a second seminar. I'm kinda happy to get out of town for a day or two though anyway. Plus there will hopefully be less wankers, the Sydney one is being hosted at Crossfit Sydney.

Then you and me can ruin a couple weeks good work with a hilarious buddy bender?

When is the seminar?

September, Saturday 15th.

I'll let you know closer to the date what I'll be doing in terms of staying there etc. I'm probably going to come down on Friday night, as the seminar runs from 8am to 5pm on Sat. I might decide to stay the night Saturday too, in which case we can do some shenanigans. I'll need a massive PWO meal after a day of oly lifting, so start recommending the best steak and/or rib grillhouses ASAP pls.

edited June 2012
    Also my bodyweight (in the evening, with some clothes on) is a bee's dick away from 100kg. Yeah budday.

'Tis a shame I'm so weak for someone my weight.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Gonna front squat on TM light days, because a deep heavy FS is a badass thing to work up to. And I hate my pants, apparently.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    @Gork I'm rubber and you're glue, anything you say bounces off of me and sticks to you.

Also nice pull, there's a bunch of us racing to 405. I still think I'll get there first because I'm great and you smell but I guess we'll see.

• Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    A competition? Fuck yer! that's 184kg right? Only 20kgs to go...

How much back arch is too much for you guys?

I figure if it's not ugly it's not a 1rm.

Edit: Was just looking at the EXRX strength standards and it's surprising how small the gains are from having a higher bodyweight. Being 60kg heavier would supposedly put 30kgs on my DL.

Jimmy Marku on
    Yup, 184 kilos or 4 big plates. Me, Tweaked_Bat_ and Gork are all closing in on it, you're welcome to play along.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    I'm getting pretty close too!

*deadlifts one kitten*
    *passes out*

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    BEAST! I think the fact that you can run 50 miles at a time makes up for the fact that you're a tiny weak girl.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Deadlifted with two plates today for the first time, was pretty fun. Got that narrowing of my vision for a few seconds after each set.

Also I got a buncha money on amazon for trading in textbooks and on a dumb whim I got some creatine, anyone have experience with the stuff? All I've heard is to take 5 grams or so before a workout.

Team metric again has the lead with 4 plates weighing in at only 396lb

Bear in mind you won't be able to keep your back completely straight. You'd have to be real flexible to do that. The point is speed/power. You could superset them with squats or bodyweight squats.

Well. FUCK.

A good nights sleep did completely jack shit to help the area above my knees, the damn muscles are still tight enough that the only way I got out of bed without much hassle was laying there stretching them the fuck out for a couple of minutes first. Sitting and getting up still has that "Carefulfuckfuck" sort of sensation where my knees don't want to bend like they usually might.

Okay... note to self. Don't start at fucking 3x15 for squats, and then don't jump around like a git the next day. Damn it... maybe I can do my deadlifts still today but there is no way I'll be able to pull off the squats.

15 reps of squats sounds like a nightmare at anything above bodyweight

Got a deadlift PR today, 315#. Stalled badly a few inches off the floor but I kept going, popped a thousand blood vessels and finished it out.

• MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    I want to race to a 405 pull! I put up 345x5, but I'm unlikely to go for four plates unless I know it'll be easy enough to not fuck my recovery.

15 reps of squats sounds like a nightmare at anything above bodyweight

Got a deadlift PR today, 315#. Stalled badly a few inches off the floor but I kept going, popped a thousand blood vessels and finished it out.

Well this was well below bodyweight, it was only 53 lbs. Not sure if it was the squats, or the jump rope/jumping jacks/high knees that did this.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Also my bodyweight (in the evening, with some clothes on) is a bee's dick away from 100kg. Yeah budday.

'Tis a shame I'm so weak for someone my weight.

Triple digit weight buddy high five!

Shame I need to lose about 15 kilos... And you're probably twice as strong as me, if not more... Stupid lazyness!

Deadlifted with two plates today for the first time, was pretty fun. Got that narrowing of my vision for a few seconds after each set.

Also I got a buncha money on amazon for trading in textbooks and on a dumb whim I got some creatine, anyone have experience with the stuff? All I've heard is to take 5 grams or so before a workout.

Read this, it contains general info as well as dosage info, particularly:
    Most studies use a "loading protocol" of 0.3g/kg bodyweight for 5-7 days followed by 5g of creatine monohydrate afterwards. For a 200lb individual, this correlates to 27g a day for 5-7 days, followed by a period of time with 5g a day. This ensures quick saturation of cells with creatine phosphate.

Saturation can also be achieved at a slower rate with a constant dose of 3-10g creatine monohydrate for an extended period of time.

Cycling is often used in conjunction with the loading protocol, but is not needed.

Haha yeah, our plates are 20kg/44lbs down here, ooops.jpg. I will aim for a 405lb DL, but I'll be happy with 397lbs or whatever silly uneven number is the imperial equivalent, as that will be an even 4-plate.

A competition? Fuck yer! that's 184kg right? Only 20kgs to go...

How much back arch is too much for you guys?

I figure if it's not ugly it's not a 1rm.

Edit: Was just looking at the EXRX strength standards and it's surprising how small the gains are from having a higher bodyweight. Being 60kg heavier would supposedly put 30kgs on my DL.

There definitely seems to be a level of "diminishing returns" after a certain amount of bodyweight. I sometimes wish I was a few inches shorter so that my weight/strength ratio was better. Oh well.

Curse you metric bastards.

Also I am going to watch this at least once before every workout. WAR WITH THE WEIGHTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9bPLaE5dE8

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Lifting is so much more fun when you have a squad of backup lifters behind you lifting in unison to the beat.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

Read this, it contains general info as well as dosage info, particularly:
    Most studies use a "loading protocol" of 0.3g/kg bodyweight for 5-7 days followed by 5g of creatine monohydrate afterwards. For a 200lb individual, this correlates to 27g a day for 5-7 days, followed by a period of time with 5g a day. This ensures quick saturation of cells with creatine phosphate.

Saturation can also be achieved at a slower rate with a constant dose of 3-10g creatine monohydrate for an extended period of time.

Cycling is often used in conjunction with the loading protocol, but is not needed.

Loading is not needed. Just keep a constant intake going. Your body will only absorb so much. The rest is expensive pee. Mixing it with glucose does improve the absorbtion.

You cannot watch that on mute, you must hear the song.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It's so beautiful

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Peen you just made my week

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
This discussion has been closed.