As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

99 pages already for the STEAM thread? Yikes. Go find the new one.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    HandGimpPA.jpg

So... that happened.

Eventually we're going to run out of ways to thank @Handgimp in-thread for all that he does for us.

Haha, just got back from making a cuppa to discover that Handgimp is on a mission. Some classy problem-solving going on, thanks @Handgimp!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Lots ofof fence-sitting on PAA3 right now.

If you are interested and able, you should buy PAA3 now. I know this falls outside conventional presale wisdom, but

(A) 'Full retail' is $5. It's not like waiting for a $60 or $30 title to go in sale. (Plus you get CStW and BoD for free until July 2.)

(B) The devs are longstanding members of our community and we should step up to show our support. "Gentleman" is a playable class!

(C) It is really fun. I'm 4 hours in (just got to the Bank of Money) and the more I play the more I find to like.

I was going to hold out until I play the 2nd game, but for £3 it may as well be mine now

signature.png

open to the main PA group in case anyone here doesn't have them

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    My only complaint with JC2, and maybe this is because I'm using a 360 pad, but the vehicle controls are kinda crap.

You're spending too much time IN vehicles, and not enough time surfing on top of them. The fault is yours.

How do I chase down assassination targets or complete races if I can't steer?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    What's the info that's making people think the Steam sale starts in July? I'm presuming it's something other than "Nobody's data-mined anything interesting about the sale yet, and normally they would have done by now".

one indie dev said something about it being in july

I think it's also the lack of Sale achievements popping up, though maybe Valve has a handle on it this time. Either way... Suspense!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    oakke wrote: »
    But you have to keep buying them every time, and it takes soooo long to do so.

Not if you use the BOLO patch. :rotate:

Pretty good deal for the daily. It's on my wishlist, but I really should play through Avadon and Eschalon 1 and 2 before I pick it up.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    For those unfamiliar, the Avernum that is up on Steam is actually the second remake of the game it was based off of. The originals were a trilogy of games that went by the name of Exile. The three games were remade into the Avernum series, and then further expanded upon by three more games. And then for whichever reason, the first game was remade again - and that's the one on steam.

Exile: Escape from the Pit -> Avernum 1 -> Avernum: Escape from the Pit
    Exile 2 -> Avernum 2
    Exile 3 -> Avernum 3
    Avernum 4 (Original)
    Avernum 5 (Original)
    Avernum 6 (Original)

Avernum 4-6 are also on steam, 2 and 3 are not.

• Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    @handgimp ninja gifted me Paa3 too. Thanks, you classy gent!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Well, as I was debating caving on PA3 and @handgimp decided to gift it to me. Thanks for the gift - guess I know what my next 3 games are to play!

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I wonder what percentage of Zeboyd's revenue from this game will come from Handgimp alone.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I wonder what percentage of Zeboyd's revenue from this game will come from Handgimp alone.

We should get him added to th credits!

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for Avernum, @Ashe

e: Also Steam apparently gave me a timeout for buying too much too fast or something, so the completion of my mission may be delayed (and I was using Steam Wallet too, seems odd).

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Is LA Noir worth getting? with or without the DLC?

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    I've played through the Steam version of L.A. Noire, and it works fine. I played through it on a 3 year old machine, something pre i5/7 processors, with a decent video card, and it performed alright, and looked pretty good.

Two points of criticism. One, it takes a fucking ice age to start that game up. Lengthy logo screen, lengthy title screen, then you get to wait for about 30 seconds as it hooks up to Rockstar's dumbass social club network. Then you can maybe decide to start playing.

The DLC cases are integrated right into the main plotline of the game, so if you're going to get them, get them up front, don't plan on going back afterwards because you likely won't care by that point.

It is a game worth seeing for $7.50, simply for the acting, the facial capture and occasionally the writing. However it is also a game that eventually overstays its welcome. Performing well in a game has never mattered so little before. What initially seems fresh and interesting (continuing the story even when you aren't perfect) eventually gets so fucking old. The driving/shooting parts are mediocre and do little to enhance the gameplay. The evidence hunting parts of the game amount to hidden object puzzle games, and the interrogations/conversations can get maddeningly obtuse.

At the end of the day, I'm hesitant to call it a game. You can miss most of the evidence, flunk every query with a suspect or person of interest, and fail every shooting and driving sequence. The game will happily pass you forwards, sometimes by skipping content, sometimes with an added 'dressing down' scene, but always forwards.

Never has a game so badly needed an abridged movie to be cobbled out of its parts a la Anachronox.

Huh, this actually got really negative. On second thought, maybe you shouldn't pick up L.A. Noire, even at this price. I suppose it comes down your tolerance for this kind of thing.

Good review of LA Noire from a few pages back. It does tend to go on sale frequently. I'm personally waiting until Christmas, since I want to play it but not getting an "OMG U NEED TO PLAY ASAP" vibe that games such as Bastion get.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    For those unfamiliar, the Avernum that is up on Steam is actually the second remake of the game it was based off of. The originals were a trilogy of games that went by the name of Exile. The three games were remade into the Avernum series, and then further expanded upon by three more games. And then for whichever reason, the first game was remade again - and that's the one on steam.

Exile 2 -> Avernum 2
    Exile 3 -> Avernum 3
    Avernum 4 (Original)
    Avernum 5 (Original)
    Avernum 6 (Original)

4-6 are also currently in the Groupees Be Mine 3 bundle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

Gonna sound like a dirty Neutral here but

Maybe

I mean the game has interesting parts and lots of people enjoyed it (I was bored to tears by it) and the pc port is pretty poor.

but I mean for $5 or however much its hard to say don't get it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    ABjYL.png

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah, apparently LA Noire had some serious issues in terms of knowing what your character was going to say when you hit a button.

• Options
    BigDes wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »

Gonna sound like a dirty Neutral here but

Maybe

I mean the game has interesting parts and lots of people enjoyed it (I was bored to tears by it) and the pc port is pretty poor.

but I mean for $5 or however much its hard to say don't get it

It is a very polarizing game. I personally loved it, thought the story was great, the characters were well done, and I liked that if I sucked at driving (which I do) it was pretty forgiving. I can completely see how people would despise it though. It's almost a point and click adventure with driving and shooting minigames. If that appeals to you, it's worth a playthrough.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Haha that is spot on. Also canceled the hdd purchase because disk check came back clear. Probably just an error due to windows.

• Options
    ABjYL.png

I laughed too hard at this.

sig.gif

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

To add to this, you can play as a Gentleman Crabomancer.
    OR, you can play as a Gentleman and a scholar.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Thanks for Avernum, @Ashe

e: Also Steam apparently gave me a timeout for buying too much too fast or something, so the completion of my mission may be delayed (and I was using Steam Wallet too, seems odd).

@Handgimp, I seem to remember that happening to you early this year / late last year. I can only suspect the classiest gentlemen ever see such an error.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    So if I buy PAA3 for 5 bucks I get their other 2 games too? Sold.

• Options
    I don't think I've ever had a company say "We're sorry - you've given us too much of your money so we'd like you to take a moment, have a nice sit down and a cup of coffee, and really think about what you're doing before we take more of your money"

• Options
    Yeah, apparently LA Noire had some serious issues in terms of knowing what your character was going to say when you hit a button.

That's one of the things that stuck out to me with what little I played of it on the 360. I specifically remember that case where you're interviewing the kindly older man about the bloody car he found. I noticed his eyes shifted slightly when he answered a question, so I selected doubt. Next thing I know, my guy is screaming in his face, threatening to lock him up or beat him with a rubber hose or something.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

It was really a matter that the "commands" weren't explained very well.

Basically, Doubt meant you think they're lying but they don't have proof, and you're going to try and press them on it to get them to give something up.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    That's one of the things that stuck out to me with what little I played of it on the 360. I specifically remember that case where you're interviewing the kindly older man about the bloody car he found. I noticed his eyes shifted slightly when he answered a question, so I selected doubt. Next thing I know, my guy is screaming in his face, threatening to lock him up or beat him with a rubber hose or something.

Police work.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    After being Gifted PA3, I now have Breath of Death 7 sitting in my library (along with Cthulhu Saves the World)

I already have BoD7 on Xbox Live and don't really need another copy. How do I turn this into a gift?

Side note; since everyone is sending out PA3 like candy, I decided to go a slightly different route with the gifting.

BAM!

signature.png

And also, BAM!

signature.png

• Options

It's good cop/bad cop but you're just one man so you have to do both...

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    oh wow I just hacked a cop in E.Y.E and suddenly he's on my side shooting at enemies for me, I then possessed him and I can make him go where I want so I'm sending him ahead as scout. This game is awesome!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Eventually we're going to run out of ways to thank @Handgimp in-thread for all that he does for us.

During sales, and otherwise, it's my policy to do my best to carpetbomb the wishlists of people like Handgimp, minor incident, iolo, etc. for this very reason.

I also stopped Handgimp from gifting me OtRSPoD3 by buying it immediately upon release! Feel free to stop his rampage in like fashion.

Though I'm torn, as I have several non-PA friends I want to gift the game to, and keep considering entering giveaways for transfer-gifting... but I figure that PA giveaways are for PAers, so I'll probably continue to hold off.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Many thanks to @handgimp for his lovely gift of PAA3! Apparently my lucky number came up in his contest. thanks again!

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I seem to remember someone mentioning that Amnazon's Paradox bundle might come up again sometime soon - or was I hallucinating this? I've come into some Amazon credit, which I think may let me bypass Amazon's usual drama about non-US people getting digital downloads, so it'd be handy if true.

On an unrelated note: Cursed sale is cursed - it will inevitably start end of next week, when I will be in Sweden, surrounded by reindeer, and with no internets.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    oh wow I just hacked a cop in E.Y.E and suddenly he's on my side shooting at enemies for me, I then possessed him and I can make him go where I want so I'm sending him ahead as scout. This game is awesome!

last time i played i got hacked by a door... not sure how i felt about that

• Options
    Man, is steamgifts.com totally crapped out for people other than me?

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I can't get on either .

sig.gif

• Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I can't get on either .

Like, two seconds after I created my giveaways. And the sig images aren't loading in my post, so I bet it just looks pretty stupid.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    One more bestowed with the class of @Handgimp.

I was waiting for them to un-break PAA2 so I could finally finish it and get PAA3. I'm afraid I wont be able to resist temptation now and just skip it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

Exile 2 -> Avernum 2
    Exile 3 -> Avernum 3
    Avernum 4 (Original)
    Avernum 5 (Original)
    Avernum 6 (Original)

4-6 are also currently in the Groupees Be Mine 3 bundle.

They are all also really good games so anyone who likes old-school rpgs should grab any or all of them.

Speaking of old-school rpgs, the PA3 game is fucking amazing. I powered through it in about 9 hours but it was great the whole ride through and now I'm sad because I want more.

JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.