As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel vs. Capcom 3] - Salt levels reaching critical mass

• Options
    inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    So I was theory fighting at work today (which I do a lot), and I was thinking that I have a serious problem with starting Dormammu against certain rushdown characters (Nova, Zero, Wolverine, She-Hulk, Hulk etc.). His walk speed is so slow that he's pretty susceptible to the inital mix-up.

I was thinking that in these cases, maybe it would actually be better to start Strider because I think he would be able to escape the early mix-up much easier due to his speed, and then I can try a zoning game using his formations + Doom missiles and mix it up with some teleport shenanigans. So I would still select my characters as Dormammu/Doom/Strider but hold the A2 button to start the match Strider/Doom/Dormammu if I see those characters on the VS screen.

Then once I have a handle on things (or Strider takes some damage) I can switch him out with Dormammu so I have my original team composition. I think that if I finish a combo with Legion, he recovers fast enough for me to raw tag Dormammu safely.

Excited to try this!

I do this with my Hulk/X-23/Akuma team. Hulk has bad matchups against pretty much everyone, but sometimes that's ok because his start of the round mixup is so ugly. But some characters get out of it for free basically (Zero and Taskmaster come to mind), so I start X-23 against them. She's bad against them too, but it's like trading a 1-9 matchup for a 3-7 one.

Dormammu is like the only top-tier character that I feel my team does well against, oddly.

XBL - remura
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I wonder how fast these are going to make it onto Xbox matches. I'm already getting beaten enough by semi-fair tactics...

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Man, I tend to just have massive fallouts with teams.

The best team I've run in a long time has been Morrigan/Magneto/Strange. I climbed straight from fighter all the way to really high 9th. I went from a 33% win percentage to 39%. Life was good.

Yesterday I just couldn't win. I ended by getting back up to 39% and staying over 66% of the way to the next rank (which Ive never achieved), but man, I couldn't get anything going with Magneto. That and I REALLY need that new fight stick to get here as H's happen 50% of the time.

But I did find a little fun thing yesterday: Morrigan's normally fairly useless rockets hyper is FUN against Spencers who like to zip in (which seems to be all of them). I threw a TON of Spencer's off their game once they latched on the opposite side of the screen, and zipped right into a ton of rockets.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    (okay now i want capcom to keep them in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO_FoduKvJs

Yesssssssss.

I'm happy to keep them in, under the stipulation that they change meter-gaining via TAC combos through a patch. Somebody over at SRK suggested it and I thought it was a pretty solid idea: TACing down awards 1 meter, TACing to the sides steals a meter, and TACing upwards is a damage boost as per usual, but the combo part of the TAC itself builds no meter. The TAC infinites are still in the game, but there's more pressure on the player performing the infinite as a result. "Okay, wanna run down the clock a little and ToD this fool with no meter usage? Fine, but if you drop it you're going to have one pissed-off opponent with a buttload of meter built for him." Gives it some sort of repercussion, because right now it pretty much has none.

Edit: According to his Twitter, Nitsuma says that he may look into it. I can't verfiy that though because I can't read Japanese.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    In the above video, is that a hacked copy of the game? How are they using that Magneto costume!?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    They are probably using a copy of the game on an offline console without any patches so they can take advantage of the DLC costume glitch that let you access the on-disk DLC costumes, and the Herald colour schemes for all characters.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    inlemur wrote: »
    But some characters get out of it for free basically (Zero and Taskmaster come to mind), so I start X-23 against them. She's bad against them too, but it's like trading a 1-9 matchup for a 3-7 one.

Dormammu is like the only top-tier character that I feel my team does well against, oddly.

How does Zero get out of it for free? I dread Hulk as much as I dread Wolverine.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Multi-hitting moves breaking armor?

Speaking of armor, how many hits can "Hyper Armor" take?

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    Luncheon LoafLuncheon Loaf Registered User regular
    "Hyper Armor" is unlimited. Ghost Rider's Spirit of Vengeance Super has Hyper Armor for a long duration. I don't know if any of Hulk's regulars have Hyper armor but rather 1 or more hits of Super Armor.

xbl: halophilicNC
  • Options
    Sivraj wrote: »

Super armor, but yes, they can..but at the beginning of a fight Zero's come out too slow. Standing H hits before the second hit.

• Options
    I hate opening fights against Hulk. If we both spam H I break the first throw attempt and then get hammered by the armor of his H. Back jump, spam H is almost the only way to open against him but even then he could just stay on the ground and hammer you. Once the match is started it's manageable because I can keep him out and punish stupidity but right at the open is bad news bears.

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    I hate opening fights against Hulk. If we both spam H I break the first throw attempt and then get hammered by the armor of his H. Back jump, spam H is almost the only way to open against him but even then he could just stay on the ground and hammer you. Once the match is started it's manageable because I can keep him out and punish stupidity but right at the open is bad news bears.

I have the exact same feeling. When I played inlemur, it felt like the match was often decided by whether or not I was blown up at the beginning.

What I've started trying to do is jumping back right when the announcer says FIGHT, and I watch Hulk closely. If he jumps with me, I go for the throw tech. If he stays grounded I don't press buttons.

Not perfect but it seems to work okay. I don't know that it's really possible to escape him at the beginning.

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Super armor, but yes, they can..but at the beginning of a fight Zero's come out too slow. Standing H hits before the second hit.

Does it? The start up on Hulk's H is 15 frames, and I think the first active frame is up above his head, so it's more like 16. Zero's H is 10 frame and 3 hits, though the guide doesn't have the frame distribution for the second or third hits. Seems unlikely that they're 5 frames apart, most multihit moves are only 2 or 3 frames apart.

XBL - remura
  • Options

I have the exact same feeling. When I played inlemur, it felt like the match was often decided by whether or not I was blown up at the beginning.

What I've started trying to do is jumping back right when the announcer says FIGHT, and I watch Hulk closely. If he jumps with me, I go for the throw tech. If he stays grounded I don't press buttons.

Not perfect but it seems to work okay. I don't know that it's really possible to escape him at the beginning.

I could write a book about how to shut Hulk down. It would be a really short book. A lot of people try too hard to punish his unsafe moves; most of them are only pseudo-unsafe because he can cancel them into things like Gamma Charge or Gamma Crush. Just pushblock everything. Everything. Hulk can't do shit about it. His ground movement is slow and his aerial movement is incredibly predictable. Just stay away from him unless you have multihit normals. He doesn't have any legitimate means of dealing chip damage. He can't chain into a low, his command grabs are glacially slow and have weak range compared to other slow grabs like Skrull. After the start of the match, he should never get in again. Hell, another mostly legitimate way of dealing with the opening round pressure is to just take the throw. Let him mash H and throw you. 100k damage, and you get to roll away. He can't dash in and hit you, because he can't cancel his dash with normals. He might jump at you, but just hold up-back and pushblock; he can't get close fast enough to empty jump low. The best he can do against that is dash, antiair command grab, and that thing is awful. 18 frame startup, he has to completely commit to it. The recovery is awful too.

This whole TAC infinite thing reminds me of another unnecessarily bad Hulk thing: he can only do 3 normals in a normal jump. Like, why? It feels like he was designed early on in a beta version of MvC3 where the rules were very different, and they never went back and fixed him after they designed Zero and Taskmaster.

XBL - remura
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Much as I love me some Hulk I think it's time to change. I've found I like running X-23 on point, so now I need a new middle character.

• Options
    Hell, another mostly legitimate way of dealing with the opening round pressure is to just take the throw. Let him mash H and throw you. 100k damage, and you get to roll away.

If I recall correctly, you were able to call X-23 to OTG after a throw and convert into a combo. Or maybe that was only off of air-throws, so you're saying to take the ground throw?

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Hell, another mostly legitimate way of dealing with the opening round pressure is to just take the throw. Let him mash H and throw you. 100k damage, and you get to roll away.

If I recall correctly, you were able to call X-23 to OTG after a throw and convert into a combo. Or maybe that was only off of air-throws, so you're saying to take the ground throw?

Yeah, that's air throw (I know after being hit by it enough). I don't think Hulk recovers fast enough to even call an assist in time after ground throw.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Does it? The start up on Hulk's H is 15 frames, and I think the first active frame is up above his head, so it's more like 16. Zero's H is 10 frame and 3 hits, though the guide doesn't have the frame distribution for the second or third hits. Seems unlikely that they're 5 frames apart, most multihit moves are only 2 or 3 frames apart.

Zero reaches back behind him for his standing H, remember, too. It might work, but that would be a lot like a drag race. I would not risk this with Zero's low HP.

• Options

That's the air throw, Hulk can't do anything off his ground throw. Maybe with specific timing if you call something like Doom missiles before the throw, you could get an otg, but that would be nearly impossible to plan for and just a matter of luck.

XBL - remura
  • Options
    edited June 2012

My favorite thing to do against a Hulk at the beginning of the match?

SNAPBACK!

Sivraj on
  • Options

My favorite thing to do against a Hulk at the beginning of the match?

SNAPBACK!

LOL. Does that break the armor on his s.H?

• Options
    I think his armor "absorbs" the hit, but the snap back still occurs.

I'd have to double check in Training Mode though.

But, I've never had the armor win vs the snapback. What's more likely to happen is that I mess up the Snapback input and get hit by a standing H.

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    Anyone have the Ultimate guide handy? Wondering if Nova's J.S has any projectile defeating properties.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Wondering if Nova's J.S has any projectile defeating properties.

Just looked it up. Nova's j.S has no projectile invulnerability.

EDIT: None of his moves do save for, obviously, Gravimetric Pulse. L has 5 low durability points, M: has Beam Durability 3 frames x 5 of low priority durability points, and H has Beam Durability: 5 frames x 5 low priority durability points.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Changed up the team. Running Spencer/Dormammu/Wesker. I am absolute ass with Spencer, so I just zip around until I somehow get a hit, then follow it up with air magic and miss the bomber, then whiff bionic arm. Somehow, I'm getting wins doing this.

• Options
    <insert anyone here>/Dorm/Wesker is a winning team. :)

• Options
    I really like Dorm/Wesker. I've been playing around with different point characters, mostly pressure characters, and it's been pretty fun. When I was running Dorm/Hawkeye/Wesker, I could zone people out in the beginning, but after Dorm died, I didn't have a plan. Now I can play rushdown, lose the point, play keepaway, lose Dorm, and then Maximum Wesker for the win.

• Options
    Yay I can finally Hyper-Grav loop! Only took a week to learn.

(It's still really freaking hard and I have no idea how much mileage I'll get off it in a match - depends how much I can force someone to the corner and open them up. Thankfully Mags is great at that so tralalala :D!)

Wesker/Mags/Skrull is really pissing off my friends so I must be doing something right. Think I might head to London in a month or two after I really learn the ins and outs of this team. Might change the setup to Mags on anchor eventually, but as for now, I love anchor Skrull. He can be very scary, and my anchor Skrull is much better than my anchor Mags would be. Hell it's better than my mid-Mags!

• Options
    So I got this today:

545413_468641269815051_1799654649_n.jpg

Trying out a new team, he spammed Hulk's standing H all day, ended with a pixel of health each, player match, he exited as soon as he won. Stay classy, MvC community.

I laughed about this for ~10 minutes or so. Posted it on my Facebook.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Got my official Hitbox and just for giggles I plugged it in. Something about the game feels different and I'm now curious if my old, handmade hitbox was sending glitched inputs to Marvel.

Science will be involved. God help us all.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Man, that's some lovely hate mail right there.

Worse I've ever gotten was something along the lines of "You suck scrub".

• Options
    edited July 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Got my official Hitbox and just for giggles I plugged it in. Something about the game feels different and I'm now curious if my old, handmade hitbox was sending glitched inputs to Marvel.

I thought you were getting a refund and quitting fighting games forever?

Man, that's some lovely hate mail right there.

Worse I've ever gotten was something along the lines of "You suck scrub".

I've gotten very little hatemail which makes me feel like I'm doing this all wrong, especially since I'm using hiddle missiles and vajra which can drive people up the wall.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    I think I'm going to actively try to get hate mail. If I piss someone off so much that they feel the need to type out a message like that with a controller, I feel like I get an extra win.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I think I'm giving my copy to my ROTC undergrad friends' Xbox. Fuck this game.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited July 2012

I thought you were getting a refund and quitting fighting games forever?

I never heard back from them about that and the damn thing was just sitting there on my counter taunting me. It's not like I really need the money back for anything (I'd just end up spending it on liquor anyway) and I was curious how it stacked up to my homemade one.

Now that I'm noticing this oddity it's got me wanting to go back and do some serious digging as to wtf is going on. It could be that constant traveling has borked some of the buttons, or maybe the TE:S PCB was going bug nuts from being used the way I was using it. I'm not honestly sure but if my sciencing turns something up and that a lot of combo/blocking problems weren't even my damn fault then I'll probably get back in with renewed confidence.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    GG's Kinderparty!

Your Phoenix Wright team is sexy.

Not gonna lie, chasing down Wright is actually shockingly fun lol. It's like chasing Dhalsim in SFIV, trying to get to the gooey, delicious, vulnerable center.

But holy crap. I wish I could just, borrow the part of your brain that contains all that Taskmaster knowledge. My team would be soooo much better if I could do some of the things you were pulling off in our matches.

Sivraj on
  • Options

EDIT: None of his moves do save for, obviously, Gravimetric Pulse. L has 5 low durability points, M: has Beam Durability 3 frames x 5 of low priority durability points, and H has Beam Durability: 5 frames x 5 low priority durability points.
    Not true. His crouching b went through a level one buster for me.

He has some weird whit.

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Not true. His crouching b went through a level one buster for me.

He has some weird whit.

I'm just going by what's in the guide. If there are projectile invulnerable moves (or just that he gets so god damn low that he dodges them) then they're not listed.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I think I'm going to actively try to get hate mail. If I piss someone off so much that they feel the need to type out a message like that with a controller, I feel like I get an extra win.

I really wish I could get hatemail. :(

That's such a weird thing to say but whenever I go online there's inevitably going to be about four random people I rotate between and more often than not the only messages are "GG" or advice/compliments on teams. Circle-jerk on XBL you say?

Also I sold my soul to the dark side and I'm trying out a side team of Vergil (Rapid Slash)/Felicia (Sand Splash)/Magneto (Deezruptah!). Might swap the order of Felicia and Magneto, haven't decided on that one yet. I know PR Rog plays a pretty nasty Felicia in anchor slot sometimes and she has an XF3 infinite in the corner which is kinda cool.

Dunxco on