As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAACBT:R2, New List in OP

The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Artist's Corner
Well, I've been laying low for a while with the whole flying around the world twice and having a baby thing, but things are settling down and in about a week or so I'll be back to Tokyo and sitting around for 12 hours every night doing nothing but wasting tax payers money. This coensides with the tournament winding down and your two champions battling it out on the psychic battlefield.

The tournament sub-forum has fallen quiet of late, mainly since there's only a few open threads and there's only two people left. This means people have been sitting on the sidelines licking their wounds and planning their revenge. So I pose the question to all...

PAACBT: The Second Coming. Who's down?

If we can garner the interest and withholding mod and admin approval, I am down for running the whole shin-dig again. This was my first time at the helm and I learned quite a bit. I've also been plotting and scheming for Team Celestial's return, and have come up with a few new ways to torture the contestants as well.

I can't say how long it will last, because that is based on how many folks enter. The current contest has been running for about seven months or so now, but we had several reboots due to server issues along the way. I realize school is coming around for a good bunch of you, and I can tell you it will probably run until sometime next year, with a break for the holidays.

Things have been slow on the AC side too, so now may not be the time. But, I figured at put the invitation out and see what happens. If this is on page two in a week, I'll get the point. :P

The question of art skill:
This is a comic battle on a art forum, so some degree of artistic merit is highly suggested before you even think of signing up. Take a look at the current tournament and look at your art from an objective point of view. Is it worse then all the entries? Fall somewhere in the middle? Quality writing and humor are a must as well. In some, very rare, cases, the writing can carry you if the art isn't that stellar, but to be signed up you'll have to submit some sort of art, not writing. Just something to keep in mind.

Post here if you are genuinely interested or if you have any questions for me.
Alrighty, I'm still waiting on the official word from admin to have the Tournament Forum open another year so we can throw down again, but that won't stop us from doing character submissions.

As of now, there is no deadline. But that will change as the start date looms closer.

Just submitting a character does not reserve you a spot in the tournament. You still have to have some semblance of
of artistic merit with your drawing. With that said, don't let this frighten you away from submitting a character, I was pretty easy-going last year with entries and that will continue. Hell, I let myself in, that's pretty bad.

CHARACTER SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Characters must be submitted before (insert a date here).

All characters must be sensible. Busting out Gojira or Unicron may be a hands-down way to “beat” your opponent, but it just ain’t creative. Most of the greatest fights to go down in AC history were between mere mortals with some slight “abilities” whether they be 733T ninja skillz or having a genie rammed up their arse. Along with that, try to keep your character within, oh let’s say, 15 ft and half a ton dry weight.

All submissions must include the following…

-a 360width x 750height character shot.

-a 200 x 200 “mug shot”

-a small synopsis of your characters abilities. If you want to do a whole bloody story, more power to you, but we just want to know what we can expect to see from your character.

-a proper way to host your images whether it be ImageShack, Photobucket, or whatever you kids are using now-a-days

-a gorram guarantee that you intend to, to the best of your ability, see this ship through to the end

Those interested:

The first box means you're in.
The second box means you've submitted a character.
If there is a "PM ME" after your name that means I don't know who you are or haven't seen your work. Please PM me with a link to some of your art whether it be on this forum, a photobucket account, DA account, or however else you can show me your sthuff.

[IN][SUBMITTED]-Name
[X][X]-Toji Suzahara
[ ][ ]-Asamof
[ ][ ]-Shiboe
[X][X]--SPI-
[ ][X]-Kuro Hou
[X][X]-Buckwolfe
[ ][ ]-Tim the Sloth
[X][X]-Pinky Powers
[X][X]-Project37
[X][X]-earthwormadam
[X][X]-CatnipCat
[X][X]-Magic Toaster
[X][X]-Anaximander and Astorite
[X][X]-Great Nation
[X][X]-no_toast
[X][X]-Moss
[ ][ ]-the_rat
[X][X]-Panda Khan
[ ][ ]-phantom363
[ ][ ]-misosoup
[X][X]-M2tM
[X][X]-Giga Gopher
[ ][ ]-SpeedKnight
[X][X]-Multimoog
[X][X]-Pious
[X][X]-ENERjAKzero
[X][X]-Prospicience
[X][X]-Mayday
[ ][ ]-Darkfish
[ ][ ]-Noom
[ ][ ]-Supernothing
[X][X]-freek
[X][X]-Spectre-X feat. Munkus Beaver
[X][X]-Ape2001
[X][X]-Antibodies
[X][X]-Kalynar
[X][X]-Rye
[X][X]-The One Dark Knight
[ ][ ]-Cam
[X][X]-Funky Phantom
[X][X]-Frank's TMND
[X][X]-King_Cobra
[ ][ ]-Orikaeshigitae
[X][X]-superglue
[X][X]-Dr. Dastard
[X][X]-jpcoombs
[X][X]-Arfenhouse
[X][X]-Deans
[X][X]-melting_doll
[X][X]-The Wretched
[ ][X]-Virum (PM me)
[X][X]-akanekun
[X][X]-Lewis Rice(PM me)
[X][X]-Paul Carbonella
[X][X]-Death of Rats
[X][X]-Benjamin.
[X][X]-Scosglen
[X][X]-MaxRadical
[X][X]-Niklix
[X][X]-Munch
[X][X]-Nasha

Random Stats since I'm obsessive-compulsive.
Number of Interested Folks: 58
Number of Former Competitors: 16
Number of PAACBT Virgins: 42
Number of Actual Entries: 46
Number of Entries Accepted: 45

If you are not on this list does not mean you cannot submit a character, so tell your friends.

Also, if you already submitted your character earlier in the thread, or in another thread, I don't care. All official entries need to be after this post.

celbmb8.png
The Celestial on

• Options
    ViolenceManViolenceMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    You know, PeterAndCompany already has this kind of thing set up over at his boards. It would be best just to go over there. For one, we would get a chance to have new people come over here and be part of the community. And two, Peter would get the chance to breathe life into his forums.

Not that it sucks over there, but there not many people over there.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Vman: I think it'd be best to keep it here.

As long as there are faces that need bashed, I'd be willing to bash them!

Ed: Also, it would be nice if we could compile it all into a book through Lulu.com or something.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm not sure...I know I didn't compete, but it seemed like it fell through multiple times when people just didn't respond, but I guess that's bound to happen. I guess we'll see how many people want to do it again, but I don't see it working as well. Not only that, but it feels like about a million forumers have disappeared over the past few months, so not a lot would happen.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    srsizzy wrote:
    I'm not sure...I know I didn't compete, but it seemed like it fell through multiple times when people just didn't respond, but I guess that's bound to happen. I guess we'll see how many people want to do it again, but I don't see it working as well. Not only that, but it feels like about a million forumers have disappeared over the past few months, so not a lot would happen.

That kind of stuff happens, but you can't say that it was a complete failure. There were people who showed up for every fight and made some really great battles happen. Also, you should've seen the previous battle tournament before this one that's just ending. It died out before the last round could even start.

Celestial just has to get the right people together.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    srsizzy wrote:

Thats how I kind of felt about this. I feel that we might be starting this up too soon. Maybe we should just have a couple of contest for awhile and then try this thing agian.

Then agian, I do miss th the old Battle thread.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    No offence to Pete, but I'm a AC purist, I only post here. If wants to do his thing, more power to him. On the other hand, if these "new people" want to come here, nothing's stoppin them. Lord knows we need a fresh breath too.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited August 2006
    Fuck other forums. Fuck em straight in the ass...well maybe to the left a little too just to get that shocked scream out of em...

Grifter on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Well I would be up for it. I used to follow the tournament everyday until things started to slowly die down, though I'm glad to see the final battle is finally going on.

Just have the people signing up make ABSOLUTELY SURE they have the time to commit. I do understand that stuff happens, though it seems like alot of people were dropping out because of school. Shouldn't this have been forseen? Or maybe there was more, I don't know really.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'd be willing to give it a whirl. The other one was quite entertaining and I'd love to see another, especially first hand.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Okay, back in front of a computer so I can type more then with just my thumbs. It took like 10 minutes to write that other post.

I, personally, am very pleased with how the tournament panned out. I was really worried the entire time that it would fall apart and go the way of the last tourney. Every single time the forum crashed I got nervous. People fall out, it happens. I was surprised we had as much participation as we did seeing how we sailed right through finals time. Keep in mind, this is the internet. I can't smack someone on the hand if they don't fufill an obligation to people they don't know. Heck, even jailing/banning is kind of dumb seeing how people are volunteering to do this. Everyone has unforeseen issues. Myself included. Case in point being the last month or so.

That said, this thread is merely an oppurtunity to glean contestants and to see if it's worth while to run it again. There's no magic number I'm looking for. If eight people want in, and they're excited about it, I'll run it.

Seeing, as I said earlier, that I only frequent these boards, if you know some folks from other places that wanna throw down, by all means, invite them over. Let them peruse the current tourney.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    KirkKirk Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I thought peter's forum was yiff only?

Kirk on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'll definitely be up for another round!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Kirk wrote:
    I thought peter's forum was yiff only?
    Scaly too, I think. :P
    -SPI- wrote:
    I'll definitely be up for another round!
    We'll see how you fare in this final battle. I may have plans for you yet my Anubian(is that a word?) friend.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    Kuro HouKuro Hou Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm willing to give this a try. I only hope I can finish my character in time for the superhero contest.

I would also like to agree and say that waiting a while before starting this one up would be a wise choice. Not only do we have school starting up again for many of the board mambers in just a few scant weeks, but we also have the heavy hollidays running pretty solid for a month and a half. (2 + if you count Halloween). That means us poor bastards in retail will more than likely be up to our eyes in customers and shifts at that time.

On the flip side it would be kind of cool to see themed battles for x-mas, 'ween, and thanksgiving.

Kuro Hou on
    "For a man who looks like a garden gnome, you sure have a lot of demands."

I dare you to make less sense.
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Ooo! Ooo! Me! Buckwolfe wants in!!

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Probably not but maybe. Last time I put in a decent amount of work only to get like 2 votes and labeled a gay basher.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm so in I'm agoraphobic.

Deans on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Probably not but maybe. Last time I put in a decent amount of work only to get like 2 votes and labeled a gay basher.

I remember that, I think some people just didn't know how to take a joke, even if it did go on for a little too long. (spongebob frollicking to aids, right?)

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    Pinky_PowersPinky_Powers Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I know I haven't been around in quite some time, but if we were starting up another Tournament, I would love to join. Sign me up if things begin to solidify.

Pinky_Powers on
    -~ÿ~-Pinky-~ÿ~-
    Beer is the perfect lubricant for twisted and vile animal gibberish. I use it myself when the times are ripe and my need great.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    When do the rest of us get cool arse names like Dirty Traitor Toji or -SPI- the Pretty Pretty Princess???

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Sounds like fun, I'm in.

Projeck on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Woopwoop.

Me too.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    i'd love to throw my hat into the ring, if you'll allow a humble lurker

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Pinky_PowersPinky_Powers Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    CatnipCat wrote:
    i'd love to throw my hat into the ring, if you'll allow a humble lurker

First thing is first, you need a fucking face for yourself. Get to work on an Avatar.

This is more or less what one of the old-timers of this forum said to me when I was signing up for my first Art Battle.

Just passing on the tradition. :)

Pinky_Powers on
    -~ÿ~-Pinky-~ÿ~-
    Beer is the perfect lubricant for twisted and vile animal gibberish. I use it myself when the times are ripe and my need great.
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm in as long as I get a cool name, too.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Get in line MT, I asked first.TwistedEvil.gif

[spoiler:8e8ec9a52a]Although, Mighty Morphing MagicToaster does have a nice ring to it...[/spoiler:8e8ec9a52a]

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    [spoiler:2d23b93b73]Although, Mighty Morphing MagicToaster does have a nice ring to it...[/spoiler:2d23b93b73]

Hahahahahaahh!!!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    One thing that bugged me tremendously about the first tourney was that alot of ppl signed up and dropped out during the first round.

We need to keep an eye out for the noobs.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    *sniff, sniff*

Behold...

...the coming of the n00b hunt is upon us...

None of us are safe...

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Only if I get to punch more clones.

I mean fuck yes I am in.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Holding a baby in one hand as I type, this aughta be fun...

Well, there's no noob hunt as of yet. I haven't even searched for art by people I don't recognize. This thread is just here to test the proverbial waters.

If there's enough folks, I'll ask for samples and then we will have the culling.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    But when do we get the nifty titles, dammit?!

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I have to say, nifty titles are fun.

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    But when do we get the nifty titles, dammit?!
    Well, I updated the OP right after I made my last post.

Do you mean your actual titles, like below your names? I can't change those, I'm not a full mod, I'm only a deputy.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Buckwolfe McVaginachest

Yes. Yes. A thousand times, yes!

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    im interested, looked like fun.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    Benjamin.Benjamin. Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I would do it, it was great fun last time.

Benjamin. on
    15661_s.gif
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I've always been wanting to participate on these. I wanna have a go this time.

no_toast on
  • Options
    MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I might join in on this one lolol

Moss on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Moss wrote:
    I might join in on this one lolol
    Wow, I've never heard you say that one before.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
This discussion has been closed.