As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good luck finding the Pizza Planet truck. [BRAVE]

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Next thing you know she'll be wearing pants.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    edit: nothing to see here

Centipede Damascus on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Seriously, you could have switched almost all of Mako's character beats from episode nine onwards to Bolin and it actually would have been interesting because it would show a fairly immature character becoming more mature over time.

oh?

edited June 2012
    Salon: Is Pixar’s “Brave” princess a lesbian?
    Um, no -- she's a girl in a fairy tale.

I don’t believe that “Brave” co-directors Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman and Steve Purcell, or the Pixar team, had any intention of creating a lesbian-coded heroine. Instead they created an autonomous, independent-minded and indeed pre-sexual or nonsexual character, whose principal relationship is with her mother. (Although Merida appears to be a teenager, the intended audience for the film is much younger.) But pop culture is a fluid marketplace, and if Merida’s challenge to the traditional mode of femininity strikes a chord with viewers who’ve been fighting that fight their entire lives, then all you can say is more power to them, and there isn’t a theater proprietor in the country who’s likely to refuse them tickets. No one at Pixar will be dumb enough to say anything about this at all, most likely, except perhaps “Oh, gosh!” and “We welcome all points of view!”

Centipede Damascus on
    The Atlantic: Does it matter if Merida is gay?
    While Markovitz's appeal to lesbian stereotypes is outrageous, his underlying question isn't. Merida really could be gay. She could be straight. She could be asexual. We just don't know. Over the course of the film, she shows romantic interest in neither boys nor girls; it's only by assumption that her parents—and, presumably, most viewers—think she's heterosexual.

Is this ambiguity intentional? Almost definitely. Pixar is notoriously meticulous—the Easter eggs and subtle references in each of its works are legion—and it's unlikely that the filmmakers simply didn't think to give Merida any sort of love interest. No, this is a deliberate sort of ambiguity.

i feel like that sort of move could be made so that any girl could relate to her

which is smart

• moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    spoilers, ho!
    I've been thinking about the witch, and I really like how they handled her.

Someone before was talking about how turning people into bears is her solution for everything. Want to have the strength of 10 men? Boom, bear! Want your mom to get off your back? Boom, bear!

And all the bear carvings, god damn, she just fuckin' loves bears! I like that she was just crazy (for bears!) and not villainous.

Also, my boorish step-uncle thought that her mother was calling her "merde" as in the french word for shit.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    ACTNJRD wrote: »
    Saw it with some friends the other day, and was pretty disappointed after the first third :-\ Did anyone else feel like the slapstick was way too much most of the time?

This was a big worry from the trailers, but I thought the amount of it in-film was fine, and it certainly didn't negatively impact the emotion of the rest of the film

This film actually brought a damn tear to my eye

I can't even remember the last time a film has done that. It's been a really long time, though.
    Oh hell yeah, much man tears were shed
    when Elinor realizes what she's done and tries to pull Merida's bow from the fire. But then she turned into a bear and the movie turned into the three stooges or something. It was a really weird, disjointed experience

I thought that was a really nice touch.
    This isn't the story of a mother who doesn't respect the things her daughter loves coming to accept them about her.

It's the story of a mother who knows what the world expects from her daughter and trying to do her best to make sure her daughter will be succeed in life.

She threw the Bow into the fire in anger but the second she has a moment to think she jumps to save it. She knows how much her daughter loves archery and how much the bow means to her and she cares.

Quire.jpg
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Just saw this film. It was a fun movie and my family liked it. My dad usually falls asleep through movies but he was awake for this one, a good mark in it's book. I feel like I've heard a disproportionate amount of criticism levied toward this film. Collectively we must be very disappointed about Cars 2 last year and are coming in with a lower level of trust in Pixar's following film.

I do have an unusual complaint myself: for all the praise heaped on Brave's visuals . . . I wasn't blown away. Sure, Merida's hair was gorgeous and the forest was lovely but this was the first Pixar film I've seen where the stylization and high level of detail come into friction. I was honestly put-off a few times by the proportions of the characters given the realistic textures and backgrounds, the stylized humans compared to the animals (certain obvious creatures looked fine but Merida looked downright odd with her horse), and the porcelain-doll skin was at odds with their richly textured hair and the fabrics they wore. I've never felt this toward any other Pixar film. Not to say the movie looked atrocious, but there were too many moments were I was pulled out of the film because of these aesthetic details I've mentioned. I've only heard this complaint from a few other sources so it isn't something that bothered a lot of people, but I do hope Pixar doesn't keep developing films along this aesthetic.

And that was my weird complaint.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I honestly think it's the best looking Pixar flick to date

but I can understand the style not gelling with you. It can be a bit weird when they do more realistic humans.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I don't blame Pixar for Cars 2.
    I blame Disney as they forced it through before they decided to tell Eisner to fuck off and buy Pixar.

That said I enjoyed Brave. Merida looked a little odd but I think that's more because she's purposefully got a brighter color scheme. Once you get past that it's atunning movie. I'm glad I paid for the Digital screening.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    So I finally saw this today! Regrettably I couldn't manage to drag anyone else with me, but it was still a pretty darn good time.

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I honestly think it's the best looking Pixar flick to date

but I can understand the style not gelling with you. It can be a bit weird when they do more realistic humans.

My complaint was more that the humans were too stylized as compared to their textures and environment. Except for the skin. Whatever happened to the freckles in the concept art? That would have made a difference.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »
    ...I already said I enjoyed it the first time anyway?

And another thing: The part where
    Merida does brief battle with her father at the standing stones
    is the most badass thing a Disney princess has ever done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRlKA4CJCDk

Good work, Dapper.

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    I blame Disney as they forced it through before they decided to tell Eisner to fuck off and buy Pixar.

That's... so incorrect

mkc.png
    Lord Dave wrote: »

That's... so incorrect

Not at all. They were nearing the end of their original contract and Disney basically said do these sequels or we will. Cars was on that list.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular

That said I enjoyed Brave. Merida looked a little odd but I think that's more because she's purposefully got a brighter color scheme. Once you get past that it's atunning movie. I'm glad I paid for the Digital screening.

What?

Pixar delayed the release of the FIRST movie to try and leverage a better deal with Disney. Disney owned sequel rights to Pixar movies at the time, but Cars wasn't released yet, and Pixar was refusing to concede with total ownership over future films. The scenario you're claiming would never have happened, since if Pixar hadn't gotten total ownership rights and there hadn't been an acquisition, Pixar wouldnt work with Disney anymore.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Yeah dude Disney didn't force Pixar to make Cars 2, Lasseter just fucking loves the shit out of Cars and would probably make only Cars movies forever and ever if he could.

Kochikens on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I see the trailer and all I can think is

"Ye have to dree your weird!"
    I'm so late to this thread, and while I cannot say I thought that when I watched it, now I will always.

steam_sig.png
    huh learn something new everyday.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Hope Lasseter gets to make Cars 3 and 4 within the next 5 years

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Guys i just saw this and i saw the pizza planet truck the first go. But a hint from earlier in the thread helped me find it.

But yeah, this was good. Pretty. Saw it in 3d

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Saw it with some friends the other day, and was pretty disappointed after the first third :-\ Did anyone else feel like the slapstick was way too much most of the time?

This was a big worry from the trailers, but I thought the amount of it in-film was fine, and it certainly didn't negatively impact the emotion of the rest of the film

This film actually brought a damn tear to my eye

I can't even remember the last time a film has done that. It's been a really long time, though.
    Oh hell yeah, much man tears were shed
    when Elinor realizes what she's done and tries to pull Merida's bow from the fire. But then she turned into a bear and the movie turned into the three stooges or something. It was a really weird, disjointed experience

I thought that was a really nice touch.
    This isn't the story of a mother who doesn't respect the things her daughter loves coming to accept them about her.

It's the story of a mother who knows what the world expects from her daughter and trying to do her best to make sure her daughter will be succeed in life.

She threw the Bow into the fire in anger but the second she has a moment to think she jumps to save it. She knows how much her daughter loves archery and how much the bow means to her and she cares.

Yes yes yes yes THIS, I adore the way Pixar handled the mother character, it was so understanding of her perspective and how she
    really did just want what was best for her daughter. I also loved that it (subtly) showed her frustration with the permissive father-- she always had to be the 'bad guy,' the one who says "no," the one who makes sure the kids don't exclusively eat pastries, mistreat their siblings, or bring about the downfall of their nation

I did feel it got a bit slap-sticky after the mom transformed into a bear which in certain scenes seemed to undermine the beautiful emotional resonance established earlier in the film, but I still enjoyed them

INTERESTINGLY I've found that a lot of the men I've talked to (and some male professional critics) do not like this movie very much. The general complaint seems to be that they felt the mother character was 'inconsistent' in her treatment of Merida, especially in the scene where she throws in and then subsequently fishes out the bow from the fire. I'm of course not saying that men in general think this way, but it's an odd trend I've noted among people I've talked to

I attribute that to the fact that this movie NAILED the experience of being the daughter of a loving mother whose ideas for what is good for you are at odds with your own, which may not be as accessible to people who have not experienced that

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    As a man I'm just as confused by that complaint as you.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Saw this again with my mom

Cried again

Fuck anyone who says this isn't a great film

Kochikens wrote: »

Nope, that's #2. Merida still wins.

EDIT: Plus Mulan, while perhaps a part of the Disney Princess brand, is not in fact a princess. Boom, lawyer'd.

As an ex-Disney Employee, I can say with total confidence that she is an Official Disney Princess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Princess#Official_princesses
    http://disney.go.com/princess/#/home/

As a current Disney cast member DO NOT MAKE ME HAVE THIS ARGUMENT AGAIN

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    As a man I'm just as confused by that complaint as you.

Agreed, I really liked the bow into the fire scene; just, the latter two thirds of the movie was so formulaic it fell rather flat.

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    once you catch on to the plot the whole movie is super predictable from end to end, its true

once you catch on to the plot the whole movie is super predictable from end to end, its true

Maybe there's something wrong with me, because that didn't bother me at all

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    That Monsters U one is fabulous!

At first I thought the newt she threw into the fire was Randall from Monsters Inc. but when I looked it up, it was just a newt

Though in fact, the newt--and the fact that it explodes blue smoke--was a reference, but just to newt, the cancelled (and pretty bad sounding) Pixar film

The movie was really good you guys

Dex Dynamo on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »

Incredibles is pretty predictable, and it's damn awesome. As is Finding Nemo, and several other Pixar movies. and Disney movies make their buck on predictable. I, too, don't understand that as a negative.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I'm calling bullshit if you claim that you saw The Underminer coming.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ...That wasn't plot, that was an ending joke sting.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I didn't see them including Underminer in the movie itself, but I saw him coming in some capacity.

Because about halfway through the film I went "OH, I'm watching a Fantastic Four movie. Hope Mole-Man shows up."

Note: That is not a complaint about the film. I love the FF.

It shouldn't.

Toy story for comparison had an absurdly predictable ending. The general plot of the film is a new guy shows up the established leader then they realize they should be friends. Bad guy gets his comeuppance

The fact that despite this toy story and brave had very well written and heartfelt stories is more important IMO

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    Damn

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »

Nope, that's #2. Merida still wins.

EDIT: Plus Mulan, while perhaps a part of the Disney Princess brand, is not in fact a princess. Boom, lawyer'd.

As an ex-Disney Employee, I can say with total confidence that she is an Official Disney Princess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Princess#Official_princesses
    http://disney.go.com/princess/#/home/

As a current Disney cast member DO NOT MAKE ME HAVE THIS ARGUMENT AGAIN

Your in a disney film?