As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arkham Horror] Blackest Goat in the Darkest Corner Episode 8: Diamond to the rescue.

• Options
    NoizRnelNoizRnel Registered User regular
    McGlen:
    "Welcome friend. Would you like to purchase some fine goods?" The owner shows you his newly in stock items: an Enchanted Blade from Egypt; an (*) (*) Elder Sign (*) (*) from the Nile Delta; and a Silver Key said to be used to sneak pass the Sphinx.
    ELDER SIGN 8D

• Options
    Majestic GoatMajestic Goat Registered User regular
    NoizRnel wrote: »
    McGlen:
    "Welcome friend. Would you like to purchase some fine goods?" The owner shows you his newly in stock items: an Enchanted Blade from Egypt; an (*) (*) Elder Sign (*) (*) from the Nile Delta; and a Silver Key said to be used to sneak pass the Sphinx.
    ELDER SIGN 8D

You've bought the sign! Can you save the world with the power of the elders in your hand?

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Darrell's not one for finding out about more secrets about his family thank you very much. He already knows too much about creepy Uncle Alan. Instead he'll have a nice chat with the professor. Maybe he'll have some interesting insights.

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Guess I'll start by updating my sliders for this:

Speed/Sneak = 1/3
    Fight/Will = 5/2 (change)
    Lore/Luck = 4/2

Fight (-2) check = 3 dice

3d6.hits(5) -> [1,6,5] = (2) Success!!! Take that, gate! :P

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Congratulations on sealing the gate!
    Will have to update later cause my computer exploded (literally).

• Options
    Oh dear, best of luck with figuring out how to unexplode your computer back to working order.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Ok I'm back, have to basically buy a new motherboard and other stuff.

Simmons:
    The professor still is looking for proves of gateway to the other world, and urge you to bbe on your way as soon as possible.

Barnes:
    You physically destroy the gate and those gate sustaining device with your bare hands. The gate no longer exist, and before more troubles appear, you quickly draw an elder sign on the floor to protect the location. lose 5 close and gain 1 gate trophy.

Mythos Phase
    Mythos57.png

Another call of the ancient one makes monsters to rush through every available gates and flooded the town and its surrounding. Town folks start to spread rumors of fear and horror. Terror track increase 1.

Cops are actively arresting anyone who dares to break the prohibition, and shutting down Hibb's Roadhouse to investigate. Simmons must make a sneak (-1) or get arrested and the whiskey confiscated.

Round 7

Upkeep & Movement Phase

@Kirindal -> @Capfalcon -> @Chrysis -> @NoizRNel -> @mi-go hunter -> @Cythraul

Majestic Goat on
  • Options
    Map
    DLtng.jpg

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Should the terror level increase to 2 (with 2 monsters in the Outskirts)? Six monsters are supposed to appear in a monster surge.

Oh, and welcome back!

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Also, just realized that both Michael McGlen (@NoizRNel) and Joe Diamond (@Capfalcon) have Elder Signs. You guys should start plunging into gates!

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    There's 6 monster and 0 monster in the outskirts before the surge. Surge added 6 monster, 3 to the board and become 9 in town, the 3 to outskirts which breaks the limit, monsters return to cup and terror increase by 1.
    Should be like that right?

• Options
    There's 6 monster and 0 monster in the outskirts before the surge. Surge added 6 monster, 3 to the board and become 9 in town, the 3 to outskirts which breaks the limit, monsters return to cup and terror increase by 1.
    Should be like that right?

Whoops, my bad! However, there still should be one monster in the Outskirts. From what I understand:

There are 2 monsters in the Outskirts and the limit is reached.
    A monster is added. The 2 monsters return to the cup, the terror level increases by 1, and the new monster is placed in the Outskirts.

• Options
    Should it be all monster return to cup including the one breaks the limit? There is 0 monster in the outskirts, so the 2nd monster is just reaching the monster limit, it is the 3rd one which breaks the limit.
    Hope I'm not doing the math wrong, I could be messy with numbers :P

• Options
    What is at the unnameable here with me? Cause I might get shooty at it :D

Steam
  • Options
    Cythraul wrote: »
    What is at the unnameable here with me? Cause I might get shooty at it :D

It's a Formless Spawn with three toughness. :O
    Should it be all monster return to cup including the one breaks the limit? There is 0 monster in the outskirts, so the 2nd monster is just reaching the monster limit, it is the 3rd one which breaks the limit.
    Hope I'm not doing the math wrong, I could be messy with numbers :P

The 3rd one breaks the limit, but is added to the Outskirts when the first two monsters are cleared. I think... :S

• Options
    SPEED/SNEAK: 1/3
    FIGHT/WILL: 4/2
    LORE/LUCK: 1/5 (change)

I'm gonna creep past the Formless Spawn and move to the Science Building...

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3589128/

Evaded! I head to the Science Building (because I have nothing better to do...)

• Options
    SPEED/SNEAK: 2/3 [Change]
    FIGHT/WILL: 3/3
    LORE/LUCK: 3/1

Rolling Sneak -1 to avoid cops. (2d6.hits(5)=2)

Also moving to Uptown so I can catch up with Dexter to give him the King in Yellow. Maybe he'll have better luck with it.

• Options
    Speed/Sneak = 1/3
    Fight/Will = 4/3 (change)
    Lore/Luck = 4/2

I think I'm gonna fight this thing, or at least make a decent effort ^_^

First the horror check: Will 3 - Horror rating 1 = 2 dice
    2d6.hits(5) → [1,2] = (0)
    -2 sanity, down to 2 left :\

Anyway now to shoot the damn thing!
    Fight 4 + Tommy Gun 6 - Monster Rating 2 = 8 dice
    8d6.hits(5) -> [6,3,4,4,5,6,5,1] = (4)

One smeared baddy! Woooo!!!

Did I do that right? Can I still move or do I simply celebrate my remaining sanity? :P

Steam
  • Options
    Also was I ok to do this out of turn?

Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Also was I ok to do this out of turn?

Yup! But unfortunately, @Cythraul , the Formless Spawn has Physical Immunity so you can't use your Tommy against it...

Looks like you have to redo the combat :|

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    Oh s.o.b. how the hell did I not notice that? :\

I suppose I could cast enchant weapon first?

Steam
  • Options
    Oh s.o.b. how the hell did I not notice that? :\

I suppose I could cast enchant weapon first?

I suppose you could...

• Options
    Ok, might as well...

Spellcasting check: 4 lore + 0 difficulty = 4 dice
    4d6.hits(5) → [5,5,3,4] = (2) No sweat, enchanted Tommy Gun. -1 sanity.

Horror check: Will 3 - Horror rating 1 = 2 dice
    2d6.hits(5) → [1,2] = (0) Same as before, -2 sanity leaving me with 1 :(

Anyway now to shoot the damn thing! Again!
    Fight 4 + Tommy Gun 6 - Monster Rating 2 = 8 dice
    8d6.hits(5) → [5,4,4,2,3,2,3,5] = (2) Damn, -2 stamina. Again!
    8d6.hits(5) → [6,6,3,5,5,2,3,4] = (4) Wooo!!! Takin me a trophy!

So, I can't move now correct? I'll just stay put, but I need to get my sanity back pronto lol.

Steam
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    In light of the polyp coming to visit, during upkeep Drake is going to heal 1 Sanity.

Speed/Sneak 2/4 (change)
    Fight/Will 1/3
    Lore/Luck 4/3 (change)

Then, he's going to sneak off to the Library.

Evade check, no modifiers from Polyp.
    4d6.hits(5) → [1,6,4,6] = (2)

2 Hits, see you later Polyp.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    I'll go to the French Hill streets to kill the 2 Ghouls!
    no change to skill sliders
    1ST GHOUL:
    Horror check --> http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3589992/ --> pass!
    Autokill ghoul.
    2ND GHOUL
    Horror check --> http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3589994/ --> McGlen's mind is too strong for this monster!
    Autokill ghoul.
    That's it! I'll head into the Another Dimension gate next turn with my Elder Sign :D

• Options
    edited July 2012
    The streets of Arkham is relatively safer now thanks to selfless investigator.
    Just let you guys know some of you are good enough to get blessed, you might want to be blessed in these dark hours~

Encounter Phase

Simmons & McGlen:
    The streets have been quiet for now, however that giant monster still hovering above you, ready to pick its prey.

Drake:
    There an old saying of "through reading you will gain fortunes." You might just be that lucky person. Pass a luck (-2) check to find the right book to read.

Jack:
    A professor shows you a box he found inside a pyramid, but unable to open it. He would like you to figure a way to open it. Once you hold the box, it glows in a bright light and once the light's gone, you find yourself standing out on the street. You've opened the box, a Sword of Glory and a bottle of Holy Water sitting inside the box. You decide to just take one and return the other back to that poor professor.

Barnes:
    Still staying in that old building, you are looking for hidden treasure in the master bedroom. Pass a luck (-1) check and your treasure hunting will come fruitful.

Other World Encounter
    Diamond:
    Just as you evaded a fire vampire, a formless spawn jumps out of nowhere and prepares to tear apart anything in its way. Will you fight it or just run again?

Majestic Goat on
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Re: Outskirts Limit and Terror Track

The maximum number of monsters in Arkham (including the Sky area) is the number of players +3 (unless the terror level is at 10).

If adding a monster would bring the number of monsters above the monster limit, place the monster in the Outskirts area.

Once the number of monsters in the Outskirts exceeds 8 minus the number of players, return all monsters in the Outskirts to the cup and increase the terror level by 1.

Continue adding drawn monsters to the Outskirts if applicable.

tl;dr- The monster that "triggers" the terror track is also returned to the cup.

Nullzone on
  • Options
    Damn, I left my luck a little low didn't I? :P

Ah well, time to roll my 1 die for looooot!!!

1d6.hits(5) → [2] = (0)

Ah well :(

Steam
  • Options
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Re: Outskirts Limit and Terror Track

The maximum number of monsters in Arkham (including the Sky area) is the number of players +3 (unless the terror level is at 10).

If adding a monster would bring the number of monsters above the monster limit, place the monster in the Outskirts area.

Once the number of monsters in the Outskirts exceeds 8 minus the number of players, return all monsters in the Outskirts to the cup and increase the terror level by 1.

Continue adding drawn monsters to the Outskirts if applicable.

tl;dr- The monster that "triggers" the terror track is also returned to the cup.

OH! So I have been playing this rule wrong then? :(

Also, I will take the Sword of GLORY!

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'll lose a sanity to take another draw, please?

• Options
    Good luck Drake.

1d6t5: 1 [1d6t5=6]

Yessssss. Show me the money.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Barnes:
    After awhile of search, you're sure there's only the jingling sound of your coins in the wallet with you in the empty room.

Diamond:
    You have successfully disbelieved the monster in front of you, at the cost of your own sanity. The monster vanishes like it's never exist. Exhausted by the "intensive" labor work, you rest beside a glowing pond. Because of curiosity, you try to catch fish within the pond for lunch or investigation. Make a luck (-1) check to see if you can catch anything.

Drake:
    And you proved that saying is true. There is a $5 bill used as bookmark and left in the book you are reading. Making sure nobody is looking at you, you put the bookmark into your wallet.

Jack:
    The sword is glorious to behold. It'd be a shame to let it sits in a museum instead of using it to cleave through monsters. You quietly pocket it and give the bottle of holy water back to the professor's assistant.

• Options
    And thanks for Nullzone to clarify that rule for me :P

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Mythos Phase:
    Mythos5.png

Gate limit reaching critical again! Will Diamond able to save the day in time?

Another distortion creates a pathway between real world and dream. Nightmarish monsters of people's dream become reality and roam the streets. At the same time, storm hit the unprepared town of Arkham, a few old buildings collapsed while no townsfolk injured. A Nightgaunt has been defeated by the mother nature and returns to the world it belongs.

After the storm, Barnes discovers a secret diary describing the previous owner's fight against the ancient one, gaining 1 clue after reading the diary.

A vampire finds its way out of the woods and getting close to where Simmons is staying. Will he be the first victim of the Nosferatu?

With three magic blades at hand, will Jack dye his hair green and become a pirate?

Map:
    VtuTo.jpg

Round 8

Upkeep and Movement:

@Capfalcon -> @Chrysis -> @NoizRNel -> @mi-go hunter -> @Cythraul -> @Kirindal

Majestic Goat on
  • Options
    With three magic blades at hand, will Jack dye his hair green and become a pirate?

I approve of this One Piece reference. :D

No change to skill sliders, staying put in the Science Building. I HATE that Flying Polyp!

• Options
    edited July 2012
    will Jack dye his hair green and become a pirate?
    Favorite One Piece character ever! :p Anyway
    Adjusting skill sliders:
    SPEED/SNEAK: 3/3
    FIGHT/WILL: 3/4 (no change)
    LORE/LUCK: 0/3 (no change)

Move to The Witch House and go to Another Dimension. However, there's the goat thing in the way, and I only roll two dice to sneak past it.... Here goes --> http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3593250/ yes!

NoizRnel on
  • Options
    Drake will heal one Sanity again, and stay put. Got to find a good spell, preferably a nuclear option to use against that damn polyp.

• Options
    Seems like our investigators are trapped by a flying polyp :O

McGlen:
    You've successfully distracted the Dark Young guarding the gate and transport into Another Dimension, hoping to save the world from its doom in time.

Drake & Jack
    Staying indoor is probably a good choice as the dreadful monster is still wandering on the street...

• Options
    SPEED/SNEAK: 2/3
    FIGHT/WILL: 5/1 [Change]
    LORE/LUCK: 3/1

Discretion not the better part of valor, Simmons decides to try to deck the Vampire.

Horror Check Against Vampire (1d6.hits(5)=1). Passed by the skin of his nose.

Fight!

Fight 5 - Monster Rating 3 (2d6.hits(5)=1) -2 Stamina. Never mind, Discretion first! Flee time!

Evade 3 + Pallid Mask 2 - Awareness 3 (2d6.hits(5)=0) -2 Stamina Noo!!!

Flee again!

Evade 3 + Pallid Mask 2 - Awareness 3 (2d6.hits(5)=1) -2 Stamina and off to the hospital he goes.

When Simmons comes to, he discovers some enterprising orderly has made off with his Lucky Cigarette Case and Whiskey.