As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So the gym I'll be getting to go to next year at uni is god damn nice.

Can't wait to be getting in there in the fall.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    A good dose of stretching prior, and I worked out my deadlifts for today at least. I could tell my how my thighs felt that I might want to skip the squats today however, which is a shame. To make up for it I pushed to try and do a 10 rep set for my deadlifts instead of my usual and it was surprisingly manageable. Admittedly I did drop 30 pounds off of what I had been doing a month ago.

The seated presses went fine, rough as they always are but they felt good. Not so sure I'll be doing the cardio again tomorrow, mostly out of the fact that we're supposed to peak at 104 F. Don't laugh, that shits rough when you're near a river.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Oghulk wrote: »

Check their class schedule if they have it posted already (probably not)

Oh Chessboxing909: I just got a brand new fuji bjj gi, woop.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    Deadlifted with two plates today for the first time, was pretty fun. Got that narrowing of my vision for a few seconds after each set.

Also I got a buncha money on amazon for trading in textbooks and on a dumb whim I got some creatine, anyone have experience with the stuff? All I've heard is to take 5 grams or so before a workout.

Read this, it contains general info as well as dosage info, particularly:
    Most studies use a "loading protocol" of 0.3g/kg bodyweight for 5-7 days followed by 5g of creatine monohydrate afterwards. For a 200lb individual, this correlates to 27g a day for 5-7 days, followed by a period of time with 5g a day. This ensures quick saturation of cells with creatine phosphate.

Saturation can also be achieved at a slower rate with a constant dose of 3-10g creatine monohydrate for an extended period of time.

Cycling is often used in conjunction with the loading protocol, but is not needed.

Loading is not needed. Just keep a constant intake going. Your body will only absorb so much. The rest is expensive pee. Mixing it with glucose does improve the absorbtion.

Indeed. There's no need to load creatine, and in fact loading creatine will make your body want to excrete it, eventually leading to a lower plateau once you drop to 5g/day

Loading is nonsense propagated by supplement companies to make you use a week's worth of creatine in a day.

Do you know how much creatine is in your body when you haven't been supplementing? Somewhere around 4g total. After you reach the plateau, that's increased to around 5g total. So even without loading, you're taking in 100% of the total creatine in the body every day with supplementation.

• FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    thanks for the advice guys, I sort of thought loading sounded a bit fishy and I certainly wasn't thrilled about having to go through about a fifth of the amount I bought in a week

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Any opinions on what would be a good standard 45-lb weight bar to purchase?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    Strength is slowly coming back in the gym. Put up 335 on squat today, and deadlifted ~400 earlier this week with a hex bar. As an aside, I never want to deadlift with a straight bar again. The hex bar relieves rotational strain on my shoulders, making it easier to lock my scapulae back.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Nice, glad to hear it. It was freaking me out a little bit when you first came back and I was lifting more than you. It wasn't the correct order of things.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    the wook wrote: »
    Indeed. There's no need to load creatine, and in fact loading creatine will make your body want to excrete it, eventually leading to a lower plateau once you drop to 5g/day

Loading is nonsense propagated by supplement companies to make you use a week's worth of creatine in a day.

Do you know how much creatine is in your body when you haven't been supplementing? Somewhere around 4g total. After you reach the plateau, that's increased to around 5g total. So even without loading, you're taking in 100% of the total creatine in the body every day with supplementation.

Wook can you talk to me about creatine and caffeine? I am a 2-3 coffees a day guy, maybe an energy drink pre-training if I’m feeling low. Is that going to completely ruin things? Should I time my creatine intake in any particular way to avoid a clash there?

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Holy shit I can't wait until I am strong enough to lift jugs of milk.

dfzn9elrnajf.png

Wook can you talk to me about creatine and caffeine? I am a 2-3 coffees a day guy, maybe an energy drink pre-training if I’m feeling low. Is that going to completely ruin things? Should I time my creatine intake in any particular way to avoid a clash there?

That I don't know.

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Yeah honestly I've never bothered loading creatine, but I thought it was the "proper" way to do it. I suppose not!

So glad I did the deadlifts at least. I don't give a damn if my thighs are still sore, BIGMAN!

TRB - There's also some info about that on the same site. Haven't really read it, but let me know if it helps or not.

http://examine.com/faq/does-caffeine-counteract-creatine.html

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    From what I remember caffeine itself doesn't do anything to creatine. Acidic drinks will reduce absorption if you mix the creatine in them. I try to take the creatine an hour before the workout. The whole loading of creatine was in one of the early studies they did the tests every weekend and wanted to be sure to spike the levels.

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

Check their class schedule if they have it posted already (probably not)

Oh Chessboxing909: I just got a brand new fuji bjj gi, woop.

Nice! Fuji gis are killer, they're priced really well and hold up better then a lot of much more expensive stuff, I love mine.
    I'm looking at picking up a blue gi from Inverted soon I think, really digging theirs. Our gym is selling Origin now, but they seem a little pricey.

So I did RDLs a bit monday and today and yesterday my hamstrings are just a mess. I really really need to work on hamstring flexibility and strength, I can tell when I'm deadlifting I'm shifting and using kind of shit form some of the time because my hamstrings are so tight. It's just so tough to balance lifting and martial arts training still, kinda miss when things were more simple and I just lifted but I could never give up my BJJ and muay thai now.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    15 reps of squats sounds like a nightmare at anything above bodyweight

Got a deadlift PR today, 315#. Stalled badly a few inches off the floor but I kept going, popped a thousand blood vessels and finished it out.

Well this was well below bodyweight, it was only 53 lbs. Not sure if it was the squats, or the jump rope/jumping jacks/high knees that did this.

By bodyweight we usually mean no additional weight, no equipment. Just your bodyweight as resistance.

Anyway, stretch.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    Arthil wrote: »
    15 reps of squats sounds like a nightmare at anything above bodyweight

Got a deadlift PR today, 315#. Stalled badly a few inches off the floor but I kept going, popped a thousand blood vessels and finished it out.

Well this was well below bodyweight, it was only 53 lbs. Not sure if it was the squats, or the jump rope/jumping jacks/high knees that did this.

By bodyweight we usually mean no additional weight, no equipment. Just your bodyweight as resistance.

Anyway, stretch.

Oh, right. Well then yeah I'm not surprised then. But yes, streeetching. Man it felt good to get that in before my deadlift. Going to do the same ones every day to get this stiffness the fuck out of my thighs.

Not a big fan of extensive stretching before lifting. Maybe some deep squats while pushing the knees out, varieties of touching your toes, some straddling to stretch the inside thigh, fat man lean. After the workout is when I really try to focus on stretching.

edited June 2012
    That's... basically everything I did to get me thighs to loosen up, actually. It all worked wonderfully. Well didn't do the last one since I have no clue what it is.

I pretty much HAD to do a good bit of stretching otherwise I would have only been able to do my presses, and I really didn't want to go a workout day without trying to get a legs/full body lift in.

Arthil on
    I know when you're sore it seems like performing the movement might bs difficult, but once you get the blood flowing you'll barely notice it.

Fat man lean is basically straddling your feet as far apart as you can manage and leaning backward without tipping over. It's not a serious stretch and it doesn't take much to feel it, but it does feel pretty darn good. We used to do it in football. Don't know if it was because it was effective or if it was just to catch our breath after warm ups.

Not a big fan of extensive stretching before lifting. Maybe some deep squats while pushing the knees out, varieties of touching your toes, some straddling to stretch the inside thigh, fat man lean. After the workout is when I really try to focus on stretching.

My pre-squat warm up has been settled. Leg swings, arm swings, band pull aparts, fire hydrants, quick foam roll of ITB, quads, lumbar and t-spine, pre-squat hip-opener from mobilitywod.com (hits adducters and glutes really well) and a couple of sets of bodyweight squats. Knock that all out in about 10-15 minutes and I am fired up and ready to go.

That hip problem has seriously influenced how I begin my sessions...

Oh and couch stretch. Love me some pre-squat couch stretch

Pretty much it's my lower quads, only the quads though not the hamstrings those feel fine. I'll just stretch real good tomorrow and Friday as well... weekend too. The IcyHot really didn't help =(.

edited June 2012
    So I did RDLs a bit monday and today and yesterday my hamstrings are just a mess. I really really need to work on hamstring flexibility and strength, I can tell when I'm deadlifting I'm shifting and using kind of shit form some of the time because my hamstrings are so tight. It's just so tough to balance lifting and martial arts training still, kinda miss when things were more simple and I just lifted but I could never give up my BJJ and muay thai now.

Man, RDLs fuck my shit up every single time I do them.

I did light to moderate RDLs on Monday. Today it is Thursday and my hammies are still sore. The squats and good mornings would've added to that I suppose, but never as much as the RDLs. I'm hoping they're good for my heavy squat day tomorrow because goddamn 4 days of hammy DOMS is ridiculous.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    another creatine q:
    does it need to be taken every day to be effective

poo
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular

Man, RDLs fuck my shit up every single time I do them.

I did light to moderate RDLs on Monday. Today it is Thursday and my hammies are still sore. The squats and good mornings would've added to that I suppose, but never as much as the RDLs. I'm hoping they're good for my heavy squat day tomorrow because goddamn 4 days of hammy DOMS is ridiculous.

Same here. My hamstrings complain for days after heavy RDLs, worst DOMS ever.

is it weird that the thing that bothered my f'd up left hip the most today was bench pressing?

poo
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Yeah for me the RDLs have my hamstrings so tight and hating me that it's made my knee joints feel iffy. Bit nerve wracking. I do them pretty light and just work very very strict form right now and it's workin a bit too well apparently. Gonna need to foam roll and ice more. Really wish I could manage to ice bath and be able to not stop breathing when I do haha, that shit is MISERABLE.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    i try to crank the shower really cold after i am done gymming and i can tolerate it at its coldest for like

no time at all

what a baby

poo
  • CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I have one of those showers that takes 20 seconds or so to reach warmth, so sometimes I hop in right away and tought it out. That moment when the heat really kicks in is pleasure beyond measure

oh i do the other way around

start warm

then go colder and colder

until i cant take it anymore and then shut it off

poo
    another creatine q:

Creatine can be cycled. I believe the most common cycle is 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off. During any given cycle, you should take it every day.

Oh and couch stretch. Love me some pre-squat couch stretch

I need to start doing this. Goliath says watching me do warmup squat sets is painful for him

• SoloXSoloX Registered User new member
    another creatine q:

Creatine can be cycled. I believe the most common cycle is 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off. During any given cycle, you should take it every day.

You do not need to cycle. Just read on http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

couch stretch is a good stretch

especially for those of us with office jobs

even if you're not squatting i think everyone with an office job who sits all day should do them

you feel better

poo
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I have one of those showers that takes 20 seconds or so to reach warmth, so sometimes I hop in right away and tought it out. That moment when the heat really kicks in is pleasure beyond measure

After a really hardcore workout one time I hopped into a cold shower and just about passed out. Grabbing the railing on the shower door to keep from toppling over. once the water got warm I was ok, it was scary for a few seconds!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    $249 down and $71 a month for the silver membership at a club over here.

I guess I'll go back to jogging and watch my muscles disappear.

getting back into working out again has made me antsy

sitting at my desk is hard and annoying

also i am thinking of buying one of these http://www.amazon.com/The-Grid-Revolutionary-Foam-Roller/dp/B0040EGNIU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340920326&sr=8-3&keywords=foam+roller cuz i need to work on that stuff really badly more than just when i go to the gym, especially with fixing my legs (doc also recommended more foam rolling)
    is that a good one to buy
    it has good reviews

poo
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    And in the most important news coming out of Washington D.C. today

I benched 245 for a PR with a fever. Probably a bad idea but I work for the federal government. I can go into a coma in my office tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.